Free Talk // Open bar, we're not turning the lights off

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Post Reply
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times


Image

Image

Image


Offseason at the BFO Tavern
----------------------------------------
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
venue: Our URL, IYDKNYK
television: Probably, but just whatever I can get on bunny ears; we ain't made of money
radio: We got one that works somewhere, yeah
----------------------------------------
CLICK HERE to join our Bears Fans Online Discord chat if you wanna
----------------------------------------
We're in a weird spot where we don't know anything quite yet and it may be a couple-three days before the team makes any announcements, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to simply have a general discussion thread, just in case some of you weren't quite keen on starting new/redundant threads, this can be something of a catch-all for the next couple months, with new threads for when we have official word regarding the team's moves as they break.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
User avatar
Hoog
Player of the Month
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:51 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Sadly, we have to go through another coaching/QB change or discrepancy. You would think a blind squirrel would have found a nut already. Which by the way I thought we did with a buckeye QB. They are technically nuts right? At least tgeir ugly friggn mascot looks like one.

Anyway, I was hoping we would destroy GB and then proceed accordingly but what a putrid effort. Game plan sucked on both sides and the QB once again proved he has no idea how to see or diagnose pre snap or feel the pocket during the play. Yes, some sacks were from very poor blocking effort but how many times did you yell RUN or throw the ball during the game at JF1? He just doesn't have a feel for the position and he won't ever find it, IMO.

As for Flus, come on man. Your a Toledo guy, I was rooting for you. How do you play soft D all day against this team? Even more, how do you play soft D and have wide receivers open all day. You certainly didn't have a pass rush so weren't players supposed to be back in coverage?

Gone, I want the QB and the coaches gone, as much as I really didn't want this, its here...AGAIN.
User avatar
dplank
Hall of Famer
Posts: 11676
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am
Has thanked: 1122 times
Been thanked: 1948 times

Tough one for me, really tough. I see both sides of it. On one hand, I value continuity and know that changing coaches constantly is a recipe for failure. On the other hand, listen to what the players said after the game yesterday.

DJ Moore said "We have everything we need, we just need to play more aggressive" - paraphrasing.
Brisker said "We could have covered those guys, they don't have anything special, but we were coached to play off coverage" - again paraphrasing.

These two comments speak volumes to me, and speak right at what I see as the major flaw / soft spot in the "keep the staff" train of thought. Yesterday was 70% coaching, 30% players IMO, and while all the focus is on Fields all the time, it was a very bad look for Flus and company IMO to get beat the way they did. LeFleur pantsed Flus, and I'm fucking tired of seeing it.
User avatar
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach
Posts: 3840
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 668 times
Been thanked: 799 times

With Arthur Smith being binned at Atlanta, I wonder if they’re preparing the ground for Harbaugh and Fields?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Image
RichH55
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7574
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 533 times

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:57 am Tough one for me, really tough. I see both sides of it. On one hand, I value continuity and know that changing coaches constantly is a recipe for failure. On the other hand, listen to what the players said after the game yesterday.

DJ Moore said "We have everything we need, we just need to play more aggressive" - paraphrasing.
Brisker said "We could have covered those guys, they don't have anything special, but we were coached to play off coverage" - again paraphrasing.

These two comments speak volumes to me, and speak right at what I see as the major flaw / soft spot in the "keep the staff" train of thought. Yesterday was 70% coaching, 30% players IMO, and while all the focus is on Fields all the time, it was a very bad look for Flus and company IMO to get beat the way they did. LeFleur pantsed Flus, and I'm fucking tired of seeing it.
They scored 17. Facts kind of are facts?

You can't win many games in the NFL scoring less than double digits
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times

Hoog wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:52 am Sadly, we have to go through another coaching/QB change or discrepancy. You would think a blind squirrel would have found a nut already. Which by the way I thought we did with a buckeye QB. They are technically nuts right? At least tgeir ugly friggn mascot looks like one.

Anyway, I was hoping we would destroy GB and then proceed accordingly but what a putrid effort. Game plan sucked on both sides and the QB once again proved he has no idea how to see or diagnose pre snap or feel the pocket during the play. Yes, some sacks were from very poor blocking effort but how many times did you yell RUN or throw the ball during the game at JF1? He just doesn't have a feel for the position and he won't ever find it, IMO.

As for Flus, come on man. Your a Toledo guy, I was rooting for you. How do you play soft D all day against this team? Even more, how do you play soft D and have wide receivers open all day. You certainly didn't have a pass rush so weren't players supposed to be back in coverage?

Gone, I want the QB and the coaches gone, as much as I really didn't want this, its here...AGAIN.
Mike Mulligan had a great point this morning when talking to Olin Kreutz on the Score. The Bears do a really good job every year of selling losing. Every year we get the "we're heading the right direction" crap and there's juuuuuussstt enough promise shown during most seasons to where the average fan can say, "yeah, I get it, I think they're just an offseason away." Then they go out there and lose to the Packers twice, finish last in the division, and the process starts over. Like Olin said, business at Halas Hall is booming. They don't really need to change a damn thing because they make money hand over fist every year like clockwork.

I've finally reached that point as a fan where I'm done with the excuses and defending of some of the people there that I typically would be. I like Eberflus as a guy and I think he's an alright coach, but for fuck's sake - this is the Chicago Bears. Have some self respect. The guy is only capable of beating other bad teams, and the teams he decisively beat this year all fired their coaches. He's fine, and maybe there is promise, but you've got the #1 pick and two picks in the top 10. You gotta get your house in order and turn that into a new dawn by resetting the clocks.

But at the same time, this is the Bears we're talking about. They like who they like and don't want to bring in anyone who upsets the apple cart, especially if they are former Bears who feel like they know better than the McCaskey family or said an ill-word of them in the last thirty years. We've seen this all play out before again and again again. There are Bears fans who have been watching this second-class franchise fuck up for 70 years and god bless 'em for having the strength to endure that long. I don't know how anyone can. I've been watching this team for 25 years and I feel like it has cultivated nothing but cynicism and despair in my heart.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times

RichH55 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:00 am
dplank wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:57 am Tough one for me, really tough. I see both sides of it. On one hand, I value continuity and know that changing coaches constantly is a recipe for failure. On the other hand, listen to what the players said after the game yesterday.

DJ Moore said "We have everything we need, we just need to play more aggressive" - paraphrasing.
Brisker said "We could have covered those guys, they don't have anything special, but we were coached to play off coverage" - again paraphrasing.

These two comments speak volumes to me, and speak right at what I see as the major flaw / soft spot in the "keep the staff" train of thought. Yesterday was 70% coaching, 30% players IMO, and while all the focus is on Fields all the time, it was a very bad look for Flus and company IMO to get beat the way they did. LeFleur pantsed Flus, and I'm fucking tired of seeing it.
They scored 17. Facts kind of are facts?

You can't win many games in the NFL scoring less than double digits
Giving up 400 yards is also a problem, especially when it comes to controlling the clock. The Packers didn't exactly dump the scoring in, but they mandated full control of the affair.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
RichH55
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7574
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 533 times

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:03 am
RichH55 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:00 am

They scored 17. Facts kind of are facts?

You can't win many games in the NFL scoring less than double digits
Giving up 400 yards is also a problem, especially when it comes to controlling the clock. The Packers didn't exactly dump the scoring in, but they mandated full control of the affair.

Fair counter points - and honestly missing Field Goals is luck more than skill for the Defense. But we did get the turnover.

And the Offense had its share of possessions - just not its share of points.
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8186
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Parts Unknown
Has thanked: 835 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

I love you all and I had so much fucking fun this season. Thank you for the arguing, swearing, angst, antagonism, mocking, all of it. A special thank you to Tyson Bagent for adding a fun dimension to this whole thing. Thank you to the Baby Bears for showing us a promising future.

I’ll be around for sure.

I’ll post that chili recipe to the food thread later. It seriously was my best one that I can remember.
I Take The Field With Fields

Image
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times

RichH55 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:07 am
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:03 am

Giving up 400 yards is also a problem, especially when it comes to controlling the clock. The Packers didn't exactly dump the scoring in, but they mandated full control of the affair.

Fair counter points - and honestly missing Field Goals is luck more than skill for the Defense. But we did get the turnover.

And the Offense had its share of possessions - just not its share of points.
Never a good sign when you have to check the roster sheet for who a WR is in a key game in week 18, and relying on the athletic prowess of two has-been former Packers after Kmet got smashed up. Also Cody Whitehair playing RG for some reason after Nate “Mr Glass” Davis left the game was weird, meanwhile Jenkins, honorary game captain, suffered football amnesia for four quarters.


Getsy had some typically stupid calls as well, and overall there was nothing happening that would’ve ended in anything more than 3 points. Was lucky to get even that.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
User avatar
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 pm
Location: Phoenix/Tempe
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 39 times

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:02 am
Mike Mulligan had a great point this morning when talking to Olin Kreutz on the Score. The Bears do a really good job every year of selling losing. Every year we get the "we're heading the right direction" crap and there's juuuuuussstt enough promise shown during most seasons to where the average fan can say, "yeah, I get it, I think they're just an offseason away." Then they go out there and lose to the Packers twice, finish last in the division, and the process starts over. Like Olin said, business at Halas Hall is booming. They don't really need to change a damn thing because they make money hand over fist every year like clockwork.

I've finally reached that point as a fan where I'm done with the excuses and defending of some of the people there that I typically would be. I like Eberflus as a guy and I think he's an alright coach, but for fuck's sake - this is the Chicago Bears. Have some self respect. The guy is only capable of beating other bad teams, and the teams he decisively beat this year all fired their coaches. He's fine, and maybe there is promise, but you've got the #1 pick and two picks in the top 10. You gotta get your house in order and turn that into a new dawn by resetting the clocks.

But at the same time, this is the Bears we're talking about. They like who they like and don't want to bring in anyone who upsets the apple cart, especially if they are former Bears who feel like they know better than the McCaskey family or said an ill-word of them in the last thirty years. We've seen this all play out before again and again again. There are Bears fans who have been watching this second-class franchise fuck up for 70 years and god bless 'em for having the strength to endure that long. I don't know how anyone can. I've been watching this team for 25 years and I feel like it has cultivated nothing but cynicism and despair in my heart.
This is such a great post. We can all talk ourselves into better days around the corner, but it's really the same story with just a different cast.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
User avatar
dplank
Hall of Famer
Posts: 11676
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am
Has thanked: 1122 times
Been thanked: 1948 times

It was a terrible performance all around - Fields wasn't good but wasn't terrible either, his primary sin is not overcoming a bad circumstance and willing his team to a victory against the tide. I get that we all want a QB who can do that, but that's not a way to build a team, nor is it the key takeaway from this particular football game. The primary issue yesterday was the line of scrimmage, we lost badly on both sides of the football and that set the environment for everything else. We have seen what things look like when we win at the LOS - and it looks GREAT! So my focus heading into the offseason remains right there, LOS, and getting another weapon for Fields. A new QB isn't fixing what we saw yesterday.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7973
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: Armpit of IL.
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 272 times

This year I removed myself as much as I could from this effed up organization. I sat intently for only 6 games. Saw parts of a few others. Too many things rank over this sad excuse for a franchise. Made sure I watched game 1. The start of the Bears taking back the North. No A A Ron. No Favruh. Bears should win, at home, right? That game pissed me off. End of the year. Lets end it better than it started. Bears been ballin lately. The D has been kickin butt, the O has been doing its job. HUMILIATION!! I picked them to lose hoping to be wrong. But the Pack rule the Bears, 10 in a row.

There is not much right now that can turn my frustration around. Keep Fields, trade #1, stockpile picks, build the O around Fields. I have doubts that will work.

Trade Fields, draft Williams. I have doubts that will work.

Tired of the team never being what I want them to be - contenders.
User avatar
Noots
Assistant Coach
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:49 am
Location: ABQ
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 221 times

This is my first year back being fully ensconced (again) in the message boards. Really enjoyed the heck out of it, even though the outcomes weren't always the best on the field. I plan to be around a bunch (maybe more than you want, LOL) going forward, including this offseason.

No shortage of drama with this team.

Holding on tight for what will probably be a bumpy ride, especially over the course of this next few weeks.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 29414
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 1779 times

I don't like how this iteration of the Bears seem to play careful when the games matter or are deemed otherwise important. You could tell the Packers were playing to win the goddamn game. The Bears were playing to keep themselves in it long enough to squeeze out a win.

There was a very clear visual difference in the two teams on the screen. In the year 2024, the Bears are still playing football like its 1974.

The next 4 months will arguably be the most important time in modern Bears history. These next 180 days will shape the future of the franchise (for better or worse). I do not envy the position that Poles and Warren are in.
User avatar
dplank
Hall of Famer
Posts: 11676
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am
Has thanked: 1122 times
Been thanked: 1948 times

Noots wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:30 am This is my first year back being fully ensconced (again) in the message boards. Really enjoyed the heck out of it, even though the outcomes weren't always the best on the field. I plan to be around a bunch (maybe more than you want, LOL) going forward, including this offseason.

No shortage of drama with this team.

Holding on tight for what will probably be a bumpy ride, especially over the course of this next few weeks.
Really great to have you back around bud!
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times



Sweat likes Flus.



I have no idea what Sanborn was trying to say here.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
User avatar
spudbear
MVP
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Got my first bag of cara-cara oranges from the store, and are they tasty. Still difficult to get rid of the bad taste from yesterday. I wonder how many fans would be happy if the Bears went 2-15 but those wins would be against the Pukers. I thought about putting ALL of my Bears stuff away until August, but that would not leave me with many clothes ;) . Until either Poles announces a trade-down with the first pick (like last year) or we have to wait until draft day to find out, we'll be sitting in the dark feeling about assuming they don't announce coaching changes.

Another long off-season.

And as far as "same old Bears", we're still paying the price for the 2018 season. After the almost championship double-doink rejection, there was the 100th anniversary and everyone was blowing smoke up the coaches and players butts. Pace went all-in for a championship with his guys Mitch and Nagus, and now Poles is starting to get out from that catastrophe. Maybe this will be the season it gets put together.

Bear down more in '24!
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
User avatar
Mikefive
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5167
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 257 times

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:20 am It was a terrible performance all around - Fields wasn't good but wasn't terrible either, his primary sin is not overcoming a bad circumstance and willing his team to a victory against the tide. I get that we all want a QB who can do that, but that's not a way to build a team, nor is it the key takeaway from this particular football game. The primary issue yesterday was the line of scrimmage, we lost badly on both sides of the football and that set the environment for everything else. We have seen what things look like when we win at the LOS - and it looks GREAT! So my focus heading into the offseason remains right there, LOS, and getting another weapon for Fields. A new QB isn't fixing what we saw yesterday.
I'm the guy who needs to see more from Fields. But he had absolutely no chance yesterday with the way the OL played in front of him. Zero.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
Mikefive
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5167
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 257 times

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:02 am
Hoog wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:52 am Sadly, we have to go through another coaching/QB change or discrepancy. You would think a blind squirrel would have found a nut already. Which by the way I thought we did with a buckeye QB. They are technically nuts right? At least tgeir ugly friggn mascot looks like one.

Anyway, I was hoping we would destroy GB and then proceed accordingly but what a putrid effort. Game plan sucked on both sides and the QB once again proved he has no idea how to see or diagnose pre snap or feel the pocket during the play. Yes, some sacks were from very poor blocking effort but how many times did you yell RUN or throw the ball during the game at JF1? He just doesn't have a feel for the position and he won't ever find it, IMO.

As for Flus, come on man. Your a Toledo guy, I was rooting for you. How do you play soft D all day against this team? Even more, how do you play soft D and have wide receivers open all day. You certainly didn't have a pass rush so weren't players supposed to be back in coverage?

Gone, I want the QB and the coaches gone, as much as I really didn't want this, its here...AGAIN.
Mike Mulligan had a great point this morning when talking to Olin Kreutz on the Score. The Bears do a really good job every year of selling losing. Every year we get the "we're heading the right direction" crap and there's juuuuuussstt enough promise shown during most seasons to where the average fan can say, "yeah, I get it, I think they're just an offseason away." Then they go out there and lose to the Packers twice, finish last in the division, and the process starts over. Like Olin said, business at Halas Hall is booming. They don't really need to change a damn thing because they make money hand over fist every year like clockwork.

I've finally reached that point as a fan where I'm done with the excuses and defending of some of the people there that I typically would be. I like Eberflus as a guy and I think he's an alright coach, but for fuck's sake - this is the Chicago Bears. Have some self respect. The guy is only capable of beating other bad teams, and the teams he decisively beat this year all fired their coaches. He's fine, and maybe there is promise, but you've got the #1 pick and two picks in the top 10. You gotta get your house in order and turn that into a new dawn by resetting the clocks.

But at the same time, this is the Bears we're talking about. They like who they like and don't want to bring in anyone who upsets the apple cart, especially if they are former Bears who feel like they know better than the McCaskey family or said an ill-word of them in the last thirty years. We've seen this all play out before again and again again. There are Bears fans who have been watching this second-class franchise fuck up for 70 years and god bless 'em for having the strength to endure that long. I don't know how anyone can. I've been watching this team for 25 years and I feel like it has cultivated nothing but cynicism and despair in my heart.
Very well stated. I'm at year 53 years following this team and this sums it up for me as well. The hopeful optimism aspect is gone for me. I want to see it before I'm believing or having faith in anything that this team does. About the only hope I have is centered around Kevin Warren making REAL changes. But we're not even seeing that yet that I can see, although that may change very soon.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8186
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Parts Unknown
Has thanked: 835 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

BearsFanInMN wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:17 am
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:02 am
Mike Mulligan had a great point this morning when talking to Olin Kreutz on the Score. The Bears do a really good job every year of selling losing. Every year we get the "we're heading the right direction" crap and there's juuuuuussstt enough promise shown during most seasons to where the average fan can say, "yeah, I get it, I think they're just an offseason away." Then they go out there and lose to the Packers twice, finish last in the division, and the process starts over. Like Olin said, business at Halas Hall is booming. They don't really need to change a damn thing because they make money hand over fist every year like clockwork.

I've finally reached that point as a fan where I'm done with the excuses and defending of some of the people there that I typically would be. I like Eberflus as a guy and I think he's an alright coach, but for fuck's sake - this is the Chicago Bears. Have some self respect. The guy is only capable of beating other bad teams, and the teams he decisively beat this year all fired their coaches. He's fine, and maybe there is promise, but you've got the #1 pick and two picks in the top 10. You gotta get your house in order and turn that into a new dawn by resetting the clocks.

But at the same time, this is the Bears we're talking about. They like who they like and don't want to bring in anyone who upsets the apple cart, especially if they are former Bears who feel like they know better than the McCaskey family or said an ill-word of them in the last thirty years. We've seen this all play out before again and again again. There are Bears fans who have been watching this second-class franchise fuck up for 70 years and god bless 'em for having the strength to endure that long. I don't know how anyone can. I've been watching this team for 25 years and I feel like it has cultivated nothing but cynicism and despair in my heart.
This is such a great post. We can all talk ourselves into better days around the corner, but it's really the same story with just a different cast.
I disagree and to remove the emotion from this let’s just stick to the facts.

This team has many young players in place, on both sides of the ball, that are making a positive impact and can be part of a winning team.

After the Sweat trade, if you annualized our record we would be a playoff team.

Two first round picks this year of which one is the 1st overall.

Roughly $62M in cap space.

There are several reasons to be excited about the future of this team.
I Take The Field With Fields

Image
User avatar
IotaNet
MVP
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Minneapolis (Chicago Native)
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 138 times

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:08 pm I disagree and to remove the emotion from this let’s just stick to the facts.

This team has many young players in place, on both sides of the ball, that are making a positive impact and can be part of a winning team.

After the Sweat trade, if you annualized our record we would be a playoff team.

Two first round picks this year of which one is the 1st overall.

Roughly $62M in cap space.

There are several reasons to be excited about the future of this team.
Agreed here.

Remember -- at the beginning of the year, most of us figured the Bears to be right around 7-8 wins. As a matter of fact, so did Vegas (https://theathletic.com/5186621/2024/01 ... in-totals/)

Yesterday was a terrible, stinking, awful way to end the season. It's going to take some time to wash the sh!t taste out of my mouth.

I think we learned some (not-so-positive) things about the team that need to be corrected. More importantly, the loss disabused us of any false optimism that we may have been harboring. Make no mistake, this is a team in the middle of a total tear down/rebuild.

With that said, I think we are right on track for better things ahead. Better yet, we have the tools and resources to do what's needed to improve.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 20421
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Football Hell
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 698 times

Same old shit.

You can change the names of the players, the coaches, etc, but the end result always seems to be the Packers owning us and the QB-carousel keeps spinning.


At some point you would think this franchise would luck themselves into a QB, you know what I mean? This is getting to the point for me where I think we are intentionally picking the wrong QB and/or pairing him with the wrong coaches. It almost feels intentional, the sheer ineptitude of it all.

Here's DJ Moore on Luke Getsy:
“I THINK HE’S FINE. YOU KNOW, LIKE I SAID, IT JUST COMES DOWN TO US BEING EXPLOSIVE ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE. WE GOT THE PLAYERS TO DO IT. WE GOT OUR QB TO DO IT. EVERYTHING ELSE, WE JUST NEED TO CALL THE PLAYS THAT PUT US IN POSITION TO HAVE EXPLOSIVES.”
Woof. I do wonder if players will give open and honest feedback during their exit interviews. If that happens, I am curious if players weren't a fan of Getsy's scheme/play-calling and as such will get him fired. If that's the case, we simply CANNOT miss on the next OC hire.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Image
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 29414
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 1779 times

G08 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:24 pm Same old shit.

You can change the names of the players, the coaches, etc, but the end result always seems to be the Packers owning us and the QB-carousel keeps spinning.


At some point you would think this franchise would luck themselves into a QB, you know what I mean? This is getting to the point for me where I think we are intentionally picking the wrong QB and/or pairing him with the wrong coaches. It almost feels intentional, the sheer ineptitude of it all.

Here's DJ Moore on Luke Getsy:
“I THINK HE’S FINE. YOU KNOW, LIKE I SAID, IT JUST COMES DOWN TO US BEING EXPLOSIVE ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE. WE GOT THE PLAYERS TO DO IT. WE GOT OUR QB TO DO IT. EVERYTHING ELSE, WE JUST NEED TO CALL THE PLAYS THAT PUT US IN POSITION TO HAVE EXPLOSIVES.”
Woof. I do wonder if players will give open and honest feedback during their exit interviews. If that happens, I am curious if players weren't a fan of Getsy's scheme/play-calling and as such will get him fired. If that's the case, we simply CANNOT miss on the next OC hire.
FWIW when Moore said "I think he's fine" he was talking about Fields...not Getsy. He was talking about Getsy in the rest of the quote though about the lack of explosion.

I'm with UOK in that the hopeful optimism has left me at this point. I don't trust the Bears to do whatever it is they need to do to become a winning organization. I'm definitely in the "I need to see it for myself" phase of my fandom now.
User avatar
thunderspirit
Head Coach
Posts: 3707
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL
Has thanked: 573 times
Been thanked: 538 times

wab wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:38 amThere was a very clear visual difference in the two teams on the screen. In the year 2024, the Bears are still playing football like its 1974.
This.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 20421
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Football Hell
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 698 times

wab wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:28 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:24 pm Same old shit.

You can change the names of the players, the coaches, etc, but the end result always seems to be the Packers owning us and the QB-carousel keeps spinning.


At some point you would think this franchise would luck themselves into a QB, you know what I mean? This is getting to the point for me where I think we are intentionally picking the wrong QB and/or pairing him with the wrong coaches. It almost feels intentional, the sheer ineptitude of it all.

Here's DJ Moore on Luke Getsy:



Woof. I do wonder if players will give open and honest feedback during their exit interviews. If that happens, I am curious if players weren't a fan of Getsy's scheme/play-calling and as such will get him fired. If that's the case, we simply CANNOT miss on the next OC hire.
FWIW when Moore said "I think he's fine" he was talking about Fields...not Getsy. He was talking about Getsy in the rest of the quote though about the lack of explosion.

I'm with UOK in that the hopeful optimism has left me at this point. I don't trust the Bears to do whatever it is they need to do to become a winning organization. I'm definitely in the "I need to see it for myself" phase of my fandom now.
You sure?

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Image
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times

G08 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:39 pm
wab wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:28 pm

FWIW when Moore said "I think he's fine" he was talking about Fields...not Getsy. He was talking about Getsy in the rest of the quote though about the lack of explosion.

I'm with UOK in that the hopeful optimism has left me at this point. I don't trust the Bears to do whatever it is they need to do to become a winning organization. I'm definitely in the "I need to see it for myself" phase of my fandom now.
You sure?

Moore very politely indicated that Luke Getsy's offense is dogshit.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 29414
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 1779 times

G08 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:39 pm
wab wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:28 pm

FWIW when Moore said "I think he's fine" he was talking about Fields...not Getsy. He was talking about Getsy in the rest of the quote though about the lack of explosion.

I'm with UOK in that the hopeful optimism has left me at this point. I don't trust the Bears to do whatever it is they need to do to become a winning organization. I'm definitely in the "I need to see it for myself" phase of my fandom now.
You sure?

I’ll go find it but I’ve seen it attributed to Fields several times on Twitter.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 20421
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Football Hell
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 698 times

wab wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:40 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:39 pm

You sure?

I’ll go find it but I’ve seen it attributed to Fields several times on Twitter.
Lmk, I heard this on the radio earlier today as well so I thought it was DJ Moore talking about Getsy since he was specifically asked.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Image
Post Reply