Free Talk // Open bar, we're not turning the lights off

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:58 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:18 pm Blusky is now open for anyone to register (no invite needed). I'm still waiting for more sports content to start showing up - I like the service (basically looks and feels exactly like Twitter/X), but it's missing a lot of the best accounts from Twitter. There might also be some limitations about posting videos/images - I think I ran into that when I tried to post some videos. Hopefully opening up registration changes things. I deleted my Twitter account earlier this year when they did the name change and would love to see Blusky supplant Twitter altogether.

https://bsky.app/profile/bsky.app/post/3kkqwku6ia32i
Yeah, it's kind of an unspoken thing how much the sports industry props up twitter. I've been over at Bluesky for a few months now and until that exodus happens of football accounts, I cant take it seriously.
Same. I follow plenty of non-sports stuff on BlueSky but have to retreat to the Twittersphere for sports info.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:24 pm FWIW—if we’re getting into hobbies…last summer, after living in the desert for a year and having awesome clear skies I bought a telescope. Today, I took the plunge and bought an even BIGGER telescope. I just moved up from a 6” Dobsonian to a 10. Anybody else looking skyward besides this sky nerd?

PS—might want to turn the lights off or at least down a bunch. You’re causing “light pollution” and messing with the view.
I was fortunate to experience the joys of sky watching in Flagstaff AZ, the home of the "Dark Skies" initiative that reduces light pollution and promotes the use, and research into, alternate lighting options in developed areas ... if you have a chance and enjoy seeing the real night sky, it is worth a trip ... their 2 observatories up the hill from Flagstaff proper are awesome
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Noots
Assistant Coach

I should do that. I was up in a dark skies community in Fountain Hills AZ for a trip I took back in November, and packed my scope for it. I didn't pick a great place for the one night I took it out. Although the weather was good (was like 89 degrees out first week of Nov), I set up at a park that had a lake, and between trying to avoid all the goose shit in the dark and the bugs flying out of the lake and into every possible orifice including my scope, I lost patience not long after it got dark.
Last edited by Noots on Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:51 pm
Noots wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:24 pm FWIW—if we’re getting into hobbies…last summer, after living in the desert for a year and having awesome clear skies I bought a telescope. Today, I took the plunge and bought an even BIGGER telescope. I just moved up from a 6” Dobsonian to a 10. Anybody else looking skyward besides this sky nerd?

PS—might want to turn the lights off or at least down a bunch. You’re causing “light pollution” and messing with the view.
I was fortunate to experience the joys of sky watching in Flagstaff AZ, the home of the "Dark Skies" initiative that reduces light pollution and promotes the use, and research into, alternate lighting options in developed areas ... if you have a chance and enjoy seeing the real night sky, it is worth a trip ... their 2 observatories up the hill from Flagstaff proper are awesome
We spend a couple of weeks a year in Sedona and always try and make it up to Flagstaff.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:50 am

I have a 6" telescope.
I had you pegged as a 4" kind of guy, nice work!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Noots
Assistant Coach

LOL...aperture envy.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm about 3 hours from Cherry Springs State Park in PA, the first international Dark Sky Park in the eastern U.S. and second in the world to be rated Gold Tier. I'm about an hour south of a university with a honking big scope, I'm going to go to one of their open houses. Learned to id Orion tonite although it was a bit cloudy. Betelgeuse, Rigel, and the 3 belt stars were very visible, the rest not so much.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So I’ve been trying to figure out the best app to locate constellations. Seems like a couple of might have some insight and I’d appreciate your input.

As a kid I knew a bunch, now outside the big and Little Dipper and Orion I’ve got nothing.

We just bought a small cabin on Greers Ferry lake and the corp of engineers prohibits much building on the lake front and I was telling my wife we should be able to see amazing things at night due to the low level of lights.
Noots
Assistant Coach

@Arkansasbear Stellarium and Sky Safari are very well thought of. I have Sky Safari myself.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I use the SkyView app, cos it's free and I'm cheap.
KFFL refugee.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:48 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:50 am

I have a 6" telescope.
Hahaha!

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:40 pm So I’ve been trying to figure out the best app to locate constellations. Seems like a couple of might have some insight and I’d appreciate your input.

As a kid I knew a bunch, now outside the big and Little Dipper and Orion I’ve got nothing.

We just bought a small cabin on Greers Ferry lake and the corp of engineers prohibits much building on the lake front and I was telling my wife we should be able to see amazing things at night due to the low level of lights.
Greers Ferry? Great fishing lake, do you fish?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Open bar, need some music. Heard this 70s one hit wonder the other day. Bought the 45 and my mom bought the 8 track.

pus
Head Coach

Several important things make it hard to pick Caleb.

First, his past actions do not show that he could set an example as a tough and inspirational leader for the rest of the team. Would you expect to see Jenkins or Sweat doing a leap into their mother's arms for a quick cry when things don't go well on the Field?

Second, he is too small - especially when compared directly with Fields. There's no denying this and there's no rationalization that excuses it. Size matters, period. End of story. No arguments.

Third, Caleb's interests other than football are myriad and he's taken plenty of time and effort away from football for those other pursuits. Justin seems to be happy with his dog and becoming the best quarterback he can possibly be.

Fourth, he does not have an agent. It's an extremely poor decision that reflects negatively on his guidance and the advice he follows.
No matter how you try to box him in, whatever realistic scenario you propose to build around him is going to include the fashion aspect(s) of Caleb's dramatic personality.
wab
Mod

pus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:31 am Several important things make it hard to pick Caleb.

First, his past actions do not show that he could set an example as a tough and inspirational leader for the rest of the team. Would you expect to see Jenkins or Sweat doing a leap into their mother's arms for a quick cry when things don't go well on the Field?

Second, he is too small - especially when compared directly with Fields. There's no denying this and there's no rationalization that excuses it. Size matters, period. End of story. No arguments.

Third, Caleb's interests other than football are myriad and he's taken plenty of time and effort away from football for those other pursuits. Justin seems to be happy with his dog and becoming the best quarterback he can possibly be.

Fourth, he does not have an agent. It's an extremely poor decision that reflects negatively on his guidance and the advice he follows.
Teven Jenkins is deeply connected to his mother, especially given her passing when he was 8. She was, in his words, the most important person in his life, and he gets emotional when talking about her. I don't believe Williams has shown the characteristics to lead men, but the crying thing is way overblown.

He's roughly the same size as Mayfield, Purdy, Menshew, and Tua. He's slightly smaller than Hurts.

His love of football is something I do question.

I think not having an agent is something that will give the Bears pause for sure. The whole Roquan deal might still have the FO a little salty.

His talent is unquestionable. I still am slightly on the "keep Fields" side of the fence.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:38 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:40 pm So I’ve been trying to figure out the best app to locate constellations. Seems like a couple of might have some insight and I’d appreciate your input.

Greers Ferry? Great fishing lake, do you fish?
A bit. My wife's best friend and her husband own a tritoon they move up to the marina near out place. We're up there with them a bunch and if they can't go we can use their boat and if we can't go they can use our cabin.

April 8 the eclipse is going to be perfect to view from there, so we are going out on the lake that day. Already made sure we didn't have court, then they shut down all county and city offices for the day as they think we will have about 1 million extra people here. (county has a population of less than 200K).
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:25 am Open bar, need some music. Heard this 70s one hit wonder the other day. Bought the 45 and my mom bought the 8 track.

8 track!!!! My first car (a '72 Plymouth Gold Duster) had an 8 track. I only had one 8 track to play in. Don't remember which album only that it was Styx. One of the songs cut off half way through at it had to switch to the other track.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:37 pm
Otis Day wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:25 am Open bar, need some music. Heard this 70s one hit wonder the other day. Bought the 45 and my mom bought the 8 track.

8 track!!!! My first car (a '72 Plymouth Gold Duster) had an 8 track. I only had one 8 track to play in. Don't remember which album only that it was Styx. One of the songs cut off half way through at it had to switch to the other track.
Brother and I bought a used '65 Chevy Belair (insurance for the year was $128!). I took the bit in my teeth even though I had never done it before and installed an 8-track and speakers in the door. I had a Panasonic all-in-one stereo: receiver, amp, phonograph, and 8-track player/recorder. So I burned many of my albums to 8-track for when my buddies and I cruised around (when gas was 25 or 30 cents per gallon).
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This is the one a buddy had in his 67 Mustang. had the FM radio. It cranked pretty good. Probably why my hearing is poor at this time. Loud music.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Nice stuff

My first was an already very old 77 Chevy Caprice Classic. AM only radio. :( I could listen to Steve Dahl & Garry Meier in the afternoons, and that was it.

My friends pooled for my birthday and got me a cheap AM/FM/Cassette stereo addon.
The car was more durable than the stereo, but it was a blessed relief, nonetheless.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Noots
Assistant Coach

First car. Great pieces of nostalgia. Mine was a ‘78 Chevette Hatchback. It was a 4 cylinder engine with maybe 2.5 of them functional. Got me back and forth to ISU for a year, followed up by a 79 Nova and 80 Monza that did the trick from there. . The Chevette was rust colored, and also rusty. The floorboards eventually wore through, and one snowy day, picking up a gal for a first date, I drove over a bunch of snow and it went through the opening in the floorboard on the passenger side and up all over me. I was full of slush before I picked up my date. She was very understanding.

When I had the Monza, I had a case of motor oil in the trunk b/c it leaked so much oil, eventually into the engine.

I can remember putting a boom box in one of those with some rechargeable batteries for listening to tapes while driving down to school. Got pulled over by the cops on one trip and reached back to turn off the tape and accidentally hit record, deleting a few precious seconds of The Who’s song “Naked Eye.”

First actual new car was a 1991 Toyota MR2. Cool mid engine car. Nautical blue color. It was badass. 2 seater. Felt like you were in a jet fighter cockpit in there. It was all boring and downhill from there.
wab
Mod

Technically my first car was a 79 Jeep CJ7, but I only drove it to school twice. It didn't have a top and the seat bolts were broken so the seats were bolted to two 2x4s and held to the floorboards with ratchet straps. My father deemed this unsafe. It was also untitled due to being salvaged, so that presented certain issues.

So my first actual car was a white 84 Mustang GT. It wasn't as nice as it sounds. I drove that for 4 years and eventually traded it in for a 1989 Toyota Supra. There's no way in hell I could have known how much those two cars would have been worth now...especially the Supra.

When I decided to get rid of the Supra it was probably right around 2001. I had bought another Jeep and my dad wanted that "damn rice burner" out of the garage (which is hilarious now because he drives a Honda Pilot) so he could put his fishing boat in there. I really wanted to keep it, but I was like 22 years old and did not have the benefit of foresight.

Man, I couldn't give that thing away. Not a single soul wanted it. I ended up selling it to a friend's dad who owned a dealership, and he ended up taking it to a car auction. This memory pains me to this day.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

My first car was a rust orange '74 Ford Maverick. Which was every bit as unpleasant as it sounds.
KFFL refugee.

Noots
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:39 am Technically my first car was a 79 Jeep CJ7, but I only drove it to school twice. It didn't have a top and the seat bolts were broken so the seats were bolted to two 2x4s and held to the floorboards with ratchet straps. My father deemed this unsafe. It was also untitled due to being salvaged, so that presented certain issues.

So my first actual car was a white 84 Mustang GT. It wasn't as nice as it sounds. I drove that for 4 years and eventually traded it in for a 1989 Toyota Supra. There's no way in hell I could have known how much those two cars would have been worth now...especially the Supra.

When I decided to get rid of the Supra it was probably right around 2001. I had bought another Jeep and my dad wanted that "damn rice burner" out of the garage (which is hilarious now because he drives a Honda Pilot) so he could put his fishing boat in there. I really wanted to keep it, but I was like 22 years old and did not have the benefit of foresight.

Man, I couldn't give that thing away. Not a single soul wanted it. I ended up selling it to a friend's dad who owned a dealership, and he ended up taking it to a car auction. This memory pains me to this day.
One of my best buds from HS, who we called “Zoots” had the Supra. Maroon color. Maybe it was a couple years earlier on the model, I forget. He had rigged up a huge house speaker to sit behind the back seat. That thing was so loud it would boom right through your heart. And that car was probably one of the fastest things on the road.
LacertineForest
MVP

My first car was a 1986 Toyota MR2 that my dad bought from a friend's dad when they were moving across the country for $400 (purchased in 2000). It was a really fun car, but I beat the crap out of that thing. I'm really lucky I didn't kill myself (or anyone else) in that thing. I once mistook a sharp corner and drove it off a pretty good drop into a cornfield, destroying the radiator. I once fell asleep on the interstate and woke up driving in the median. I sold it probably a year after I got my license and bought a Dodge Stratus (not my best decision, but I didn't really know shit about cars), and haven't had a single speeding ticket or incident since.

This one looks a bit nicer than mine ever did, but it's the right color and everything:

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:50 am I have a 6" telescope.
Ah, but is it a collapsible telescope that extends before use or a solid tube one that's always the same length? ;)
Noots
Assistant Coach

LacertineForest wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:39 am My first car was a 1986 Toyota MR2 that my dad bought from a friend's dad when they were moving across the country for $400 (purchased in 2000). It was a really fun car, but I beat the crap out of that thing. I'm really lucky I didn't kill myself (or anyone else) in that thing. I once mistook a sharp corner and drove it off a pretty good drop into a cornfield, destroying the radiator. I once fell asleep on the interstate and woke up driving in the median. I sold it probably a year after I got my license and bought a Dodge Stratus (not my best decision, but I didn't really know shit about cars), and haven't had a single speeding ticket or incident since.

This one looks a bit nicer than mine ever did, but it's the right color and everything:

Wow--So fwiw, when I got married (the first time, to the ex Mrs Noots) I traded in my MR2 and she her Mitsubishi Eclipse for a Jeep Cherokee, which was later followed by....a Dodge Stratus. LOL, we took good care of that thing. Eventually selling it for an Isuzu Rodeo and then that turned into a couple of Hyundais--A Sonata (mine--the 2004 model looked like a Jaguar knock off) and an Elantra (hers). I drove and took care of that Sonata and it was in great shape 10 years later when I got rear ended by some gal near Wrigley in a little Fiat 500 on St Paddy's day weekend. She didn't stop before the sidestreet intersection , in bumper to bumper traffic on Addison (I did)...was looking at her phone, and practically was in my trunk. Totaled.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My first car was a 1967 Ford Custom 500. It was a 4 door. Had a beautiful paint job with some Keystone Classics. Bought in 1981. No rust. The guy I bought it from worked at Ziebart so he had that shit coated on the underside.

Pissed I sold it. I could not tear around town in it, it was too nice. No power steering or brakes. Sold it and ended up buying a 1977 Chevy Malibu Classic.
LacertineForest
MVP

Noots wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:03 am Wow--So fwiw, when I got married (the first time, to the ex Mrs Noots) I traded in my MR2 and she her Mitsubishi Eclipse for a Jeep Cherokee, which was later followed by....a Dodge Stratus. LOL, we took good care of that thing. Eventually selling it for an Isuzu Rodeo and then that turned into a couple of Hyundais--A Sonata (mine--the 2004 model looked like a Jaguar knock off) and an Elantra (hers). I drove and took care of that Sonata and it was in great shape 10 years later when I got rear ended by some gal near Wrigley in a little Fiat 500 on St Paddy's day weekend. She didn't stop before the sidestreet intersection , in bumper to bumper traffic on Addison (I did)...was looking at her phone, and practically was in my trunk. Totaled.
Heh, that's a pretty interesting coincidence. I took better care of the Stratus than the MR2, but it ended up being a bit of a maintenance headache (it had something like 100K miles on it when I bought it), so I wasn't too sad to part with that one. I did get plenty of SNL jokes about it though, since that's about when those skits aired.

I've been fortunate to never have been involved in any kind of major accident - sucks you had to part with a car you clearly liked and took good care of because of someone else's negligence.

I try to drive as little as possible these days, though - I ride a bike to work as much as I can (last night was a bit of an adventure since there was crazy lightning everywhere - a tornado touched down about 30 miles south of where I was...the first time WI has ever had one touch down in Feb). Thankfully my path mostly takes me on trails away from the main roads, but I do always worry about getting hit by cars. There's one stretch by my office, in particular, where people have been killed riding before.
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 am
Ah, but is it a collapsible telescope that extends before use or a solid tube one that's always the same length? ;)
Top notch "grow-er or a show-er" joke my friend :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS