Free Talk // Open bar, we're not turning the lights off

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:25 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:17 pm I’ll keep you updated on Tsushima. Right now the game is easily living up to its expectations. I’m focusing on side quests and things like that now. That’s my strategy for the big open world games because those abilities and resources you gain in those side quests make the main story a lot easier.

Amazing fighting system! I LOVE the standoffs. I love the cinematic feel. Great characters. Acting. You care about the hero. I just learned Water Style to make it easier against enemies with shields. Found my first fox den.

Your commentary about detail is huge. It’s why I love GTA 5 so much. I’ve beaten SP a solid dozen times but every time I find something new.

I just beat GTA 5 on PS5. Compared to XBX the graphics are better and the random events spawn with more consistency.
Standoffs never got old for me - they're so well-executed. Agree with everything else you said about it, and I use a similar strategy with open world games. I really like how all of the side quests fit into the overall narrative and complement the main story. A lot of other open world games' side quests feel a bit tedious and superfluous, but that's not the case at all with GoT.

GTA5 was the first game I played on the PS4, and I've been a huge fan of every GTA single player experience since GTA3 blew my mind in high school (Pretty sure I could still fly the dodo - that thing took practice to get good at). I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've got cooked up for 6. It's a can't miss game for me, for sure.
Continuing my journey in GoT.

I've really been focusing on side quests and building up my character. When I encounter a small enemy stronghold I will take it out. Otherwise I avoid the big main quests; the large red buildings on the map.

My health and resolve should be pretty high for where I'm at in the game.

I unlocked Heavenly Strike which is hilariously OP. I'm nearly 1HK'ing any baseline enemy now.

When fighting groups my primary focus is on killing the archers first. As soon as I do that the fight is over quickly.

I cannot get over the graphics in this game and thinking about how it's almost 4 years old. This is also the best combat system I've ever experienced in a similar game.
I Take The Field With Fields

LacertineForest
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:14 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:25 pm

Standoffs never got old for me - they're so well-executed. Agree with everything else you said about it, and I use a similar strategy with open world games. I really like how all of the side quests fit into the overall narrative and complement the main story. A lot of other open world games' side quests feel a bit tedious and superfluous, but that's not the case at all with GoT.

GTA5 was the first game I played on the PS4, and I've been a huge fan of every GTA single player experience since GTA3 blew my mind in high school (Pretty sure I could still fly the dodo - that thing took practice to get good at). I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've got cooked up for 6. It's a can't miss game for me, for sure.

I've really been focusing on side quests and building up my character. When I encounter a small enemy stronghold I will take it out. Otherwise I avoid the big main quests; the large red buildings on the map.

I unlocked Heavenly Strike which is hilariously OP. I'm nearly 1HK'ing any baseline enemy now.

When fighting groups my primary focus is on killing the archers first. As soon as I do that the fight is over quickly.

I cannot get over the graphics in this game and thinking about how it's almost 4 years old. This is also the best combat system I've ever experienced in a similar game.
Hell yeah - the graphics are really damn good. Just like playing through The Last of Us 2 recently, I'm pretty amazed at what they were able to pull off on the PS4's hardware. I know I played the upgraded PS5 version of both GoT and TLOU2, but I've seen screens and videos of those games running on the PS4 and they looked great there, too.

Is your combat style pretty closely linked with your katana? Or are you mixing in ranged attacks, smoke bombs, etc. I feel like I always struggle to truly utilize all that's at my disposal and focus on my primary weapon. It still works, but I know I could be a lot more efficient.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:23 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:14 pm

Hell yeah - the graphics are really damn good. Just like playing through The Last of Us 2 recently, I'm pretty amazed at what they were able to pull off on the PS4's hardware. I know I played the upgraded PS5 version of both GoT and TLOU2, but I've seen screens and videos of those games running on the PS4 and they looked great there, too.

Is your combat style pretty closely linked with your katana? Or are you mixing in ranged attacks, smoke bombs, etc. I feel like I always struggle to truly utilize all that's at my disposal and focus on my primary weapon. It still works, but I know I could be a lot more efficient.
My combat style is pretty much the katana. I will snipe archers on platforms with the bow, but otherwise it's the katana.

I have unlocked various types of bombs, but I do not use them. Honestly, the flow of combat with the katana is so fluid I do not need it and it's quite enjoyable. There's also something about not using the explosives in a game like this.

Remember Batman? One of the reasons why he was so cool is because he never used a gun. Same thing here.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

A 25 year old Chelsea made it his goal to drink 2000 pints of beer in 200 days. His Tik Tok followers (doesn't everyone have them) have labelled him either the world's greatest endurance athlete or Chelsea's soberest fan :toast:
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Yesterday was a big day. Scope arrived. Assembled it. It’s a glorious beast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:01 am Yesterday was a big day. Scope arrived. Assembled it. It’s a glorious beast.
Wow, Noots, what beast. Great price. I take it this doesn't interface with any kind of computerized "finder" system? It can be hauled elsewhere but are you going to be mainly using it in the backyard? Be sure to post pictures.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Noots
Assistant Coach

You are correct. My 6 inch has a GoTo Mount, which I believe I hosed b/c I left the batteries in it and it got accidentally switched ON after I took it to AZ. The slow drain utterly obliterated the thingies inside it which turn on and generate the WiFi signal with which you can have that GoTo alignment. Touchy bugger. So on the new 10 incher (hah, autocorrect tried to change “incher” to “in her” that’s awesome), you take out those two side pins and can remove the scope from the mount. Each are around 30 lbs. Now that I’m in the desert, I’m in a ranch home so no more stairs to haul shit up and down. Carry out the base, carry out the scope, right out the door. And in honor of buying a new scope, it’s snowing like the devil out here, where I’ve not even seen an inch of accumulation yet in this my second winter…we might see that in the next hour.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:28 am My 6 inch has a GoTo Mount
That's no way to refer to the current Mrs Noots! :o
Umbali
MVP

does it start as a 6 inch or grow errm I mean zoom to 6inch ? Grower or shower?
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Heinz D.
Crafty Veteran

This Super Bowl is fucked up. It's just...fucked up...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:40 pm This Super Bowl is fucked up. It's just...fucked up...
How so? Thought it was a great game.
Heinz D.
Crafty Veteran

Otis Day wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:30 am How so? Thought it was a great game.
It was good. But it was sure weird.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Didn’t notice anything weird at all. Just two great defenses going toe to toe, and per usual Mahomes winning at the end. SF should have gone for it in OT, I’d never have kicked that FG. I, and the rest of the world, knew what would happen next.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 am Didn’t notice anything weird at all. Just two great defenses going toe to toe, and per usual Mahomes winning at the end. SF should have gone for it in OT, I’d never have kicked that FG. I, and the rest of the world, knew what would happen next.
Agreed, good game, SF just didn’t cash in enough opportunities. Their line did not play well most of the playoffs and didn’t again last night.

The play before the field goal in OT, if jones doesn’t come through instantly and pressure Purdy that’s a TD.

A lot of the big pass plays in the 4th, OT and the game winner were against Greenlaw’s replacement I believe.
wab
Mod

Yeah, you are in that position in overtime of the super bowl and Mahomes is sitting over there waiting, you absolutely do not kick that field goal.

But it was a really good game.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:24 am
dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 am Didn’t notice anything weird at all. Just two great defenses going toe to toe, and per usual Mahomes winning at the end. SF should have gone for it in OT, I’d never have kicked that FG. I, and the rest of the world, knew what would happen next.
Agreed, good game, SF just didn’t cash in enough opportunities. Their line did not play well most of the playoffs and didn’t again last night.

The play before the field goal in OT, if jones doesn’t come through instantly and pressure Purdy that’s a TD.

A lot of the big pass plays in the 4th, OT and the game winner were against Greenlaw’s replacement I believe.
I’d have given the MVP to Chris Jones. I know the QB almost always gets it, but he was the biggest difference maker IMO.

Mahomes wasn’t all that special last night, the entire last drive was one screen / checkdown after another. Over and over again.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Any Bulls fan from the Jordan Era should’ve known exactly what was going to happen when things were close at the end of that game.

Mahomes is Jordan. Plain and simple.

I’m fine with a KC Dynasty. They’re likeable guys. I wish they dialed down the Taylor Swift stuff, but otherwise I don’t mind them.

I wonder how many Mahomes will win before it’s all over? 6 or 7? Could he get to 10?

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 am I’d have given the MVP to Chris Jones. I know the QB almost always gets it, but he was the biggest difference maker IMO.

Mahomes wasn’t all that special last night, the entire last drive was one screen / checkdown after another. Over and over again.
League and Super Bowl MVP awards should just be renamed MVQB awards. It's become a joke now that they practically always go to a QB even though he is not necessarily the highest performing player.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Harrison Butker had 4 FGs. One was the longest in SB History. He got them points when the O stalled. he gets no love. I know - kicker.

Speaking of MVPs, Lamar Jackson, MVP of the league. He plays offense. he is a QB. How does he not get Offensive Player of the League? I mean, what gives? Carry on.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Former Bear (1 season) Mike Pennel at DT flashed a bit in there. He's a man mountain.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:24 am

I’d have given the MVP to Chris Jones. I know the QB almost always gets it, but he was the biggest difference maker IMO.

Mahomes did what he needed to do, was 8/8 passing, winning Td pass, and had two huge scrambles to keep the drive going in OT. Without OT he wasn’t mvp, with it he absolutely was.

I wish they had offensive and defensive mvp for super bowls.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

If we still had the old school OT rules, first score wins, we would be talking about a Brock or CMC mvp.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:03 am
dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 am

Mahomes did what he needed to do, was 8/8 passing, winning Td pass, and had two huge scrambles to keep the drive going in OT. Without OT he wasn’t mvp, with it he absolutely was.

"Did what he needed to do" shouldn't be the standard IMO and is why QB's win this award 9 times out of 10. Nothing he did was special, even the scrambles. He's obviously a special player and already an all time great, but for this particular game Chris Jones was the MVP. This was a defensive slugfest and he made the key plays.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:27 am Harrison Butker had 4 FGs. One was the longest in SB History. He got them points when the O stalled. he gets no love. I know - kicker.
Moody set the record for longest FG in Super Bowl history, then Butker broke that record same day, same game ... aside from the blocked PAT, both kickers were on their game

Otis Day wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:27 amSpeaking of MVPs, Lamar Jackson, MVP of the league. He plays offense. he is a QB. How does he not get Offensive Player of the League? I mean, what gives? Carry on.
most of the awards have some head scratching criteria that sometimes makes no sense
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

You can see why SF kicked the FG.
Defense had dominated the game.
Mahomes had to rely on a ‘Velus’ (fumbled punt) to get great field position for his sole regular time TD.

It was a gamble, defense must have been rinsed as he fairly picked them apart with QB scrambles.

Good game, unlucky SF.
The Bears are going to have to rip that trophy out of Mahomes hands next season.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:09 am

"Did what he needed to do" shouldn't be the standard IMO and is why QB's win this award 9 times out of 10. Nothing he did was special, even the scrambles. He's obviously a special player and already an all time great, but for this particular game Chris Jones was the MVP. This was a defensive slugfest and he made the key plays.
Well, agree to disagree.

8/8, winning Td pass in OT after you walked down the field to tie it up in regulation, all in the Super Bowl! Yeah that’s special.

To put it another way, if JF went 33/46 for 333 yds, 2 tds, 1 int and rushed for 66 yds, tie ing it up in the 4th and winning in OT against any team you would be screaming to everyone you know how special it was.

Mahomes just did that in a Super Bowl against a top nfl defense and team.
wab
Mod

Jones was the best player in that game for the Chiefs, but the player that impacted the outcome the most was Leo Chenal. He gets my vote.
LacertineForest
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:24 am

Well, agree to disagree.

8/8, winning Td pass in OT after you walked down the field to tie it up in regulation, all in the Super Bowl! Yeah that’s special.

To put it another way, if JF went 33/46 for 333 yds, 2 tds, 1 int and rushed for 66 yds, tie ing it up in the 4th and winning in OT against any team you would be screaming to everyone you know how special it was.

Mahomes just did that in a Super Bowl against a top nfl defense and team.
Yeah, I was surprised by his statline - he had one really bad play (the overthrow INT), but he managed to keep his composure and pour it on when it mattered most. That's MVP type of stuff. I would also not quibble giving MVP to Chris Jones or Butker.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I suppose if you consider completing 6 straight screen passes "pouring it on"....
LacertineForest
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:37 pm I suppose if you consider completing 6 straight screen passes "pouring it on"....
Dude had to execute and he did. Completed almost 75% of his passes throughout the game. Used his feet when he needed to. Won his 3rd superbowl. He was absolutely a difference-maker, in my mind.