Free Talk // Open bar, we're not turning the lights off

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm not disparaging the guy, he did what he was supposed to do and is the greatest football player on the planet. That said, I tend to give more credit to other people than "hero worship". Andy Reid called a great game, the OL executed at a high level on those screen plays, Reid dialed up the perfect fake for an easy TD toss to seal it - Mahomes had a very low degree of difficulty and was setup nicely by his HC and OL.

Just another example of how different we see the game. You watch the ball and credit nearly everything to the QB like most fans do. I watch the LOS then pivot to the ball on passing plays after the ball has left the QB's hands. I just place a lot more value on OL play than the average fan I suppose.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:00 pm I'm not disparaging the guy, he did what he was supposed to do and is the greatest football player on the planet. That said, I tend to give more credit to other people than "hero worship". Andy Reid called a great game, the OL executed at a high level on those screen plays, Reid dialed up the perfect fake for an easy TD toss to seal it - Mahomes had a very low degree of difficulty and was setup nicely by his HC and OL.

Just another example of how different we see the game. You watch the ball and credit nearly everything to the QB like most fans do. I watch the LOS then pivot to the ball on passing plays after the ball has left the QB's hands. I just place a lot more value on OL play than the average fan I suppose.
Well yeah, but they aren't giving the MVP to Creed Humphrey.
LacertineForest
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:00 pm I'm not disparaging the guy, he did what he was supposed to do and is the greatest football player on the planet. That said, I tend to give more credit to other people than "hero worship". Andy Reid called a great game, the OL executed at a high level on those screen plays, Reid dialed up the perfect fake for an easy TD toss to seal it - Mahomes had a very low degree of difficulty and was setup nicely by his HC and OL.

I didn't credit nearly everything to the QB. I said that I would be fine with other players getting the MVP. What I took issue with is that Mahomes "didn't do anything special." I don't think there are many guys in the history of the league that would have pulled off what he did last night, even if the coach and OL helped him achieve it. He still had to execute. He still had to make plays after the offense struggled so much throughout most of the game. Only two other quarterbacks put up 300 yards on the 49ers defense all year (Stafford and Cousins), and he did it in the Super Bowl. Nothing special? I just don't think you're giving him enough credit for his role in winning the game.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Very much disagree here. Half the QBs in the NFL could have done what Mahomes did last night IMO. Agree to disagree.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

I didn't think the game was all that good.

Think if Greenlaw doesn't go out on a freak injury it's a different story.

He's a good kid, came up through the foster system. He's been very open about it and I love him for that.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:58 pm I didn't think the game was all that good.

Think if Greenlaw doesn't go out on a freak injury it's a different story.

He's a good kid, came up through the foster system. He's been very open about it and I love him for that.
Greenlaw was huge.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Just finished watching 'For All Mankind'. I was flabbergasted by the U.S. shooting rocket after rocket to the Moon so guys could have a nice photo op. What a waste of 50 years, could have had a moon base up, maybe manned flights to Mars like in the show.
'22 BFO draft contest winner. '24 draft contest co-champion
Heinz D.
MVP

Did anybody buy the new Green Day album? It's fucking incredible!!!
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Did you actually buy the vinyl? I have been buying old vinyl lately I find in resale shops. Last new vinyl I got was ZZ Top, That lil Old Band From Texas, from the documentary.

I go to small shows and buy those artists' CDs or albums if they are selling them. Trying to support the little guys out there. I stay away from Spotify. Waiting on @dplank to get his shit up and running.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:12 am Did you actually buy the vinyl? I have been buying old vinyl lately I find in resale shops. Last new vinyl I got was ZZ Top, That lil Old Band From Texas, from the documentary.

I go to small shows and buy those artists' CDs or albums if they are selling them. Trying to support the little guys out there. I stay away from Spotify. Waiting on @dplank to get his shit up and running.
Targeting May 1 launch - and thank you for supporting artists!!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Brock Purdy, who was in the running for MVP, didn't do the job in OT. Lamar, who won the MVP, didn't even make it in a home game. Josh Allen, another top QB, lost at home to KC. So, no, few guys could do what Mahomes did yet again. He elevated a team with no star receivers to a come-from-behind victory. KC's back was to the wall, htye had to score after SF kicked the FG, and Mahomes delivered. Yet again. Yes, Andy called his usual great game. The D did their job, yes, but, again, only 1 QB in the league rises to this level consistently.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:12 pm
Otis Day wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:12 am Did you actually buy the vinyl? I have been buying old vinyl lately I find in resale shops. Last new vinyl I got was ZZ Top, That lil Old Band From Texas, from the documentary.

Keep me/us posted. Can always use a site to stream music. I have music on pretty much all day long, every day.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I'm looking forward to this!

INTRODUCING MARK KNOPFLER’S GUITAR HEROES FOR TEENAGE CANCER TRUST AND TEEN CANCER AMERICA.

A landmark in rock music history, this new, very special recording of Mark Knopfler’s anthemic ‘Going Home (Theme From Local Hero)’ has been recorded to raise funds for Teenage Cancer Trust and Teen Cancer America.

Performed by Mark Knopfler’s Guitar Heroes and produced by Knopfler’s longtime collaborator Guy Fletcher, the track features an unprecedented line-up of some of the greatest guitarists and musicians in history. The artwork has been designed by Sir Peter Blake (The Beatles, The Who, Band Aid).

Released March 15th, the single will be released on CD, 12” with etched b-side, deluxe CD+Blu-ray, download and streaming (including a Dolby Atmos mix).

Pre-Order: https://markknopfler.lnk.to/guitarheroes
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Make sure you LMK about that. Will it be on the App Store for iPhone?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:45 pm I'm looking forward to this!

INTRODUCING MARK KNOPFLER’S GUITAR HEROES FOR TEENAGE CANCER TRUST AND TEEN CANCER AMERICA.

A landmark in rock music history, this new, very special recording of Mark Knopfler’s anthemic ‘Going Home (Theme From Local Hero)’ has been recorded to raise funds for Teenage Cancer Trust and Teen Cancer America.

Performed by Mark Knopfler’s Guitar Heroes and produced by Knopfler’s longtime collaborator Guy Fletcher, the track features an unprecedented line-up of some of the greatest guitarists and musicians in history. The artwork has been designed by Sir Peter Blake (The Beatles, The Who, Band Aid).

Released March 15th, the single will be released on CD, 12” with etched b-side, deluxe CD+Blu-ray, download and streaming (including a Dolby Atmos mix).

Pre-Order: https://markknopfler.lnk.to/guitarheroes
Damn, I would love a poster of that picture.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:23 am

Make sure you LMK about that. Will it be on the App Store for iPhone?
Yep, Android also
UOK
Site Admin

I am a complete dud when it comes to figuring out how the cap is massaged, but I've got four names for your consideration that I would like for the Bears to consider (not including Jaylon Johnson, who I figure will be tagged):

Danielle Hunter, EDGE: I'm guessing he'll command somewhere around what Sweat got, so maybe 4 years, $85-90M. I have no idea if the Bears can afford it, but maybe I'm wrong in thinking that's how much he'd command.

Geno Stone, S: Stone is coming off a breakout year and seems like the ideal young centerfielder that the defense has been missing. 4 years, $58-62M? Is that drunk money? What's he worth?

Coleman Shelton, C: This is a very do-able signing for a good Center who can hold the position down while an understudy grows. 2 years, $16M?

Austin Ekeler, RB: I think he'd be a great fit in a rotation so long as he's healthy. 2 years, $14M sound logical?

Let me know if these are just silly and stupid as hell.
Z Bear
MVP

Drunk Matt Nagy dancing at the Chiefs parade is worth the watch! Watch about the 6 minute mark of the Pat McAfee show until a good video comes out.
wab
Mod

I can't comment on the cap stuff because I don't know how a lot of it works beyond just the raw numbers and what sites like SpoTrac says about expected values.

I think the Bears go after either Chris Jones or a DE like Hunter (or Burns if he makes it to FA). The DL is one more piece away, and it's a strong FA class. I think it'll be a DT or a DE, but not both.

Geno Stone is an interesting name. He is coming off of a 7 INT season, which is kind of bananas for a safety. He's only had one INT in the three prior seasons though, so it fair to ask if he's ascending, or if that was an anomaly. SpoTrac has him at 3 years and 21 million. I think if the Ravens move on, that's a price you'd pay to find out if he's ascending. However, with the Bears proclivity for drafting defensive backs, it wouldn't surprise me to see the team turn to the draft (or the current roster) for Eddie's replacement.

Center is a position that I'm almost positive the team will try and sort out in FA. Rookie centers have a tough go, so it would really benefit the team to sign a quality veteran. Having said that, I'm pretty sure Shelton is signed with the Rams through 2024. I'm leaning towards Evan Brown due to scheme familiarity (yes we heard that about Patrick, but Brown is better and younger). Nick Allegretti is another guy to watch.

I have no idea if the Bears are interested in bringing in another RB outside of the draft, but I'm generally averse to signing FA backs to anything more than the minimum. You could convince me that a guy like Barkley would be worth pursuing I suppose. What the Bears DO need, is a RB that can freaking pass block, because the current guys absolutely suck at it...and it's impacted the QB play.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Coleman Shelton has a void year trigger making him a UFA, I believe.

I tend to think the Bears will look at veteran Cs too. I'd bet they'll find a guy they think has promise on Day 3 (I'd love Zach Frazier or Graham Barton — or fast riser JPJ, of course — but I suspect they won't spend a high enough pick to grab one of those guys so it'll be hunting for Day 3 value.

I do strongly believe they will absolutely add to their secondary, most likely on Day 2. I anticipate a franchise tag for JJ and not much beyond that (I'll be happy to be proven wrong, mind you), but even so, replacing Jackson is likely to be done via the draft and Day 2 is the zone for that.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

Yikes...

Nagy wins a championship, Getsy gets a second shot at OC, and Mark Trestman is hired by the guy many Bears fans wanted as the HC.

What a time to be alive.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

He might not be bad to have around to bounce things off of.

Jim - Hey Tresticles what would you do in this situation?
Tresticles - well James, my name is Marc and I would definitely go with a 7 step drop empty backfield deep heave here.
Jim - Herbert, Halfback dive on two out of the I form.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:50 pm He might not be bad to have around to bounce things off of.

Jim - Hey Tresticles what would you do in this situation?
Tresticles - well James, my name is Marc and I would definitely go with a 7 step drop empty backfield deep heave here.
Jim - Herbert, Halfback dive on two out of the I form.
Jim: FUCK, 3rd and 17 again, Greg Roman's got nothing. Marc, dial up something special!

Marc: /looks at call sheet that is exclusively WR screens
dplank
Hall of Famer

Quick Trestman story (I may have already told this one, apologies if so) - but he's a REALLY nice dude.

He worked for the Ravens for a bit, a place I used to spend a lot of time in the building. I used to do a lot of work in pro Rugby also, and the Rugby teams always had a hard on for the NFL (I think mainly because of the size/scope/money aspect). So a client of mine (New Zealand All Blacks) were playing in Philly against Team USA (It was a "B" squad for NZ, their Maori only squad) and since it was close to Baltimore one of the coaches asked if I could get him and a few assistants into the Ravens facility for a looksie. So I set it up and was walking these guys around the complex, one cool moment was when they ran into Hlodi Ngata (sp?) and one of the coaches knew him so they were stoked to see him. Anyhow, we're walking through the upstairs area where the coaches offices are, and Marc Trestman was walking out of his offense by chance. Like I said, super nice guy so he stops to say hello to me, and introduces himself to the NZ coaches and all.

One of the coaches asks him, "Why don't you pitch the ball laterally in football like we do in Rugby, it seems like you could draw defenders and pitch the ball for big plays". Trestman was caught off guard by the question, and answered by basically saying "We value possession of the ball too much to put the ball at risk with a play like that", which I thought was a good answer. But this coach kept pressing him on it, like uncomfortably IMO, saying shit like "We value the ball just as much in Rugby as you do in Football" - and rather than getting pissy about it, Trestman says "OK, let me think for a second instead of just blurting out an answer". After like 5 seconds he smiles and says "Isn't it illegal in rugby to run behind your opponents line and make a play on the ball?" And the guy says yes. And Trestman says, "Well, in the NFL there's guys in front of you and behind you and all over the place, and every one of them wants to take the ball away at all times, a pitch would be way too risky a play in our sport". And that satisfied the guy!
Umbali
MVP

Good story. So he is being inept doesnt make you a jerk, just inept lol.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Noots
Assistant Coach

Umbali wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:31 pm Good story. So he is being inept doesnt make you a jerk, just inept lol.
For me, I'd even take it a step further. Some guys make good coordinators but not head coaches. He's loosely like the Vic Fangio or Rod Marinelli of Offensive Coordinators.
LacertineForest
MVP

@dplank, thanks for sharing that. I really enjoy hearing these stories. Fits the theme of the thread quite well, too - like we're all just sitting around the bar shooting the shit.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:58 pm Coleman Shelton has a void year trigger making him a UFA, I believe.

I tend to think the Bears will look at veteran Cs too. I'd bet they'll find a guy they think has promise on Day 3 (I'd love Zach Frazier or Graham Barton — or fast riser JPJ, of course — but I suspect they won't spend a high enough pick to grab one of those guys so it'll be hunting for Day 3 value.

I do strongly believe they will absolutely add to their secondary, most likely on Day 2. I anticipate a franchise tag for JJ and not much beyond that (I'll be happy to be proven wrong, mind you), but even so, replacing Jackson is likely to be done via the draft and Day 2 is the zone for that.
Really does feel like there is some Creed Humphrey comp to Frazier's game

And he went late 2nd?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Dplank, did any of the NFL teams you were trying to sell to/work with ask which team you were a fan of and give you grief when you said the Bears?