Free Talk // Open bar, we're not turning the lights off

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

LacertineForest
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:46 pm I would just like to take a moment to celebrate Ryan Poles and his efforts to make this one of the most interesting off seasons I have witnessed ... and it isn't over yet

I am encouraged, but encouraged in a different way than in times past ... THIS time, there are legitimate reasons for encouragement rather than the wishes and pipe dreams only of years past

I think the entire front office deserves a celebratory salute :thumbsup: :toast: :clap:
LacertineForest
MVP

Posting that video should be grounds for a permaban.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Pittsburgh just traded Pickett.

Trade for Fields is forthcoming.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK
Site Admin

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:27 pm
I would suggest that the Giants would be a possibility for Fields, but I doubt that unless it was for bottom dollar. They'll have enough of a contract headache when they inevitably dump Jones; I'm sure they'd much rather have a rookie contract to fall into. Bo Nix, Penix, something like that.
STLINI
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:11 pm Pittsburgh just traded Pickett.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:32 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:11 pm Pittsburgh just traded Pickett.

Who would be better for a Fields back-up than Wilson? Same type of physical talents. Trade with Pitt is coming soon.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My question. JF goes to a team as a backup. He doesn't play. He is then due $25 mil the following year. There is no market for him. He didn't prove himself and he sits and gets rusty for a year. not a good deal for JF if you ask me. is it worth it to trade for him?
STLINI
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:44 pm
STLINI wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:32 pm

Who would be better for a Fields back-up than Wilson? Same type of physical talents. Trade with Pitt is coming soon.
I agree. I thought Pittsburgh was a good fit but a tough situation with Pickett being a young guy there, but this clears the way. The thing that is tough with Fields is where he is at with his contract. If he's going to sit behind Wilson for a year or two, you're going to have to decide whether or not to pay him when it's his time to start. But with what we've seen out of Wilson recently, Fields might be better than him this year.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:58 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:44 pm

I agree. I thought Pittsburgh was a good fit but a tough situation with Pickett being a young guy there, but this clears the way. The thing that is tough with Fields is where he is at with his contract. If he's going to sit behind Wilson for a year or two, you're going to have to decide whether or not to pay him when it's his time to start. But with what we've seen out of Wilson recently, Fields might be better than him this year.
Fields is definitely the starter. It's a prove it year for him, with Wilson as his mentor.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Steelers have two 3rd round picks...84, 98. I'll bet we get 98 for Fields.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:39 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:37 pm

If we trade back and could get him in the 13-16 range and some more pick, maybe. I hate the idea of him at #9.

But we all know how this plays out - the Bears draft him and he plays 6 games over 3 years for us. We pass on him and he is rookie of the year and has a Hall of Fame Career.
I consider myself a fairly cynical fan, but shee-whiz, Arkansasbear. It's a sunny day, team doesn't play for 6 months. Grab some bliss while it's available.
I just got back from a week in Spain in which I hardly picked up my phone. Don't think I looked at anything Bears related. I am rested and recharged and ready to go back down those deep dark holes. Plus it's cloud with a chance of tornadoes here.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Hey Ark :wave:

JF1 will start for the Bears next season :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:01 pm Steelers have two 3rd round picks...84, 98. I'll bet we get 98 for Fields.
Brenden Rice? Keenan Allen understudy?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Lil Kenny was becoming a bitch and the Steelers don't play like that.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2403150090
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Heinz D.
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:25 pm Sounds like Lil Kenny was becoming a bitch and the Steelers don't play like that.

A new possibility for a Fields trade. Love it!
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Not “free agency” news, but wild if true.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm Fields is definitely the starter. It's a prove it year for him, with Wilson as his mentor.
Otis Day wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:25 pm Sounds like Lil Kenny was becoming a bitch and the Steelers don't play like that.

Nick Shook reported this over at nfl.com:
Pickett asked for a trade in the aftermath of learning of Wilson's signing through social media on Sunday night and being told Monday morning by Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin that Wilson would get first-team reps in the pole position to be QB1, NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported. Tomlin had previously told Pickett he'd have a chance to compete for the starting job, according to Pelissero.
Pickett had a torrid time with Matt Canada as the OC and was probably hoping for a reboot with Arthur Smith, thought he was going to get a shot even with the signing of Wilson and then apparently had the rug pulled out from him because Tomlin changed his mind. His previous behaviour aside, you can understand why a first round pick entering year 3 is going to be upset by that. It's taken away any chance he had of proving himself worthy of a big money deal at the end of the season.

If Tomlin's already set on Wilson being the starter then it's not going to be good for Fields either, as he'll basically be in the exact same position. Unless Wilson gets hurt he won't get a chance to prove himself worthy of being a starter and the commensurate payday. Even if he does get to play he's not going to have had the first team reps during the offseason to prepare him to perform at his best.

If Wilson's been promised the starting job then he's not going to be happy if Tomlin then changes his mind and opts for Fields. Making promises and decisions before the offseason has even begun and your new QBs are in the building is not a recipe for success. Just look what happened when the Bears did that with Dalton and Fields.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm

Fields is definitely the starter. It's a prove it year for him, with Wilson as his mentor.
Makes more sense. Wilson was a cheap buy in. Denver is paying him this year.

Don't know why so many see JF going somewhere as a #2 with no chance to compete for #1. He's a better QB than a lot of these guys in this QB carousel that has had as many swaps as Taylor Swift has had lovers.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:42 am

Don't know why so many see JF going somewhere as a #2 with no chance to compete for #1. He's a better QB than a lot of these guys in this QB carousel that has had as many swaps as Taylor Swift has had lovers.
Well the problem is that just isn't really true. Which is why he is looking at a #2 spot or best case competing for a Starting job
Bearfacts
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:53 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:42 am

Well the problem is that just isn't really true. Which is why he is looking at a #2 spot or best case competing for a Starting job
Perception are what they are and only JF can change them. But I would expect he would want to be somewhere he's at least given that chance. With Wilson on just a one year deal so it's possible Pitt may be a good spot for JF to do that if not immediately. Tomlin seems to have already decided Wilson will be his #1. But I do see a potential fit if it happens. Then the question becomes if Poles does decide to trade him what will Pitt give up? We could use another DT, so Keanu Benton in lieu of a pick?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I don't think I agree there. Pitt would probably give him one of the better chances to compete for the starting job though
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:49 am
RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:53 am

Perception are what they are and only JF can change them. But I would expect he would want to be somewhere he's at least given that chance. With Wilson on just a one year deal so it's possible Pitt may be a good spot for JF to do that if not immediately. Tomlin seems to have already decided Wilson will be his #1. But I do see a potential fit if it happens. Then the question becomes if Poles does decide to trade him what will Pitt give up? We could use another DT, so Keanu Benton in lieu of a pick?
Agreed here - he'd get a chance there.

It's a pretty solid fit
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:39 am

I don't think I agree there. Pitt would probably give him one of the better chances to compete for the starting job though
Isn’t the report that Kenny Pickett got all pissy because Pittsburgh promised Wilson the starting job? If Fields goes there he will be the backup - at least to start. But it would not surprise me to see Fields named starter at some point into the season.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:47 am
RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:39 am

Isn’t the report that Kenny Pickett got all pissy because Pittsburgh promised Wilson the starting job? If Fields goes there he will be the backup - at least to start. But it would not surprise me to see Fields named starter at some point into the season.
Pittsburgh needed Wilson to sign, because he would be the perfect mentor for Fields. He may begin the year as the starter, but Fields will be starting before the end of it.
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:38 pm
Meh...
wab
Mod

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:38 pm
Uh.

Who?
docc