Bears fire OC Luke Getsy, QB coach Andrew Jonoko

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Z Bear
MVP

Nice to see Poles and Flus learning from the mistake of Getsy, no more firs time players! You can do that with a Brady, of Rodgers, or any good QB who has been around for a while. You can't do that with a young QB.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Is Mike LaFluer an option at OC? McVay is the obvious play caller and all play calling duties will be given to our OC, he will have complete control. Watching the Lions/LA game I couldn't help but notice how much Stafford and even Wentz were involved in talks with Mike. So he is pretty respected for sure. Plus, it would ve fun seeing him rip his brother, lol
G08
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:45 pm Is Mike LaFluer an option at OC? McVay is the obvious play caller and all play calling duties will be given to our OC, he will have complete control. Watching the Lions/LA game I couldn't help but notice how much Stafford and even Wentz were involved in talks with Mike. So he is pretty respected for sure. Plus, it would ve fun seeing him rip his brother, lol
He was pretty bad with the Jets in '21 and '22. Plus he's an OC with the Rams so McVay would have to let him go.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

cblaz11
MVP

G08 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:34 am
cblaz11 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:14 am I think I enjoyed season 3 more then 1…but it’s close

Anyone start season 4? The casting isn’t as impressive as other seasons…but man what a great first episode.
Dardango
Journeyman

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:46 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:39 pm Didn't take time to reread the whole thing, but I'd be willing to bet that we had many optimistic post about him. That didn't age well. Much like most of our optimistic post.
Honestly (i'm a freak and read through most of this), generally people were very cool on the Getsy hire and it feels like we all talked ourselves into him. And part of that was because we were expecting a heavy RPO/quick passing game.
Doubling back on this, I'm hearing the same hype again (elsewhere) on Waldron, which is all the more reason to play wait-and-see.
artbest01
Assistant Coach

Huge difference - Waldron has a legit track record as a nfl play caller

quote=Dardango post_id=369302 time=1706679590 user_id=1162]
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:46 pm

Honestly (i'm a freak and read through most of this), generally people were very cool on the Getsy hire and it feels like we all talked ourselves into him. And part of that was because we were expecting a heavy RPO/quick passing game.
Doubling back on this, I'm hearing the same hype again (elsewhere) on Waldron, which is all the more reason to play wait-and-see.
[/quote]
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Getsy's been in the running for the Raiders, Patriots and Saints OC jobs and apparently he's having a "second conversation" with the latter.

As much as we deride him it seems there are those in the NFL who don't hold him responsible for the Bears struggles, which is interesting. That would seem to imply they see Fields as largely the issue.
docc
Head Coach

..these other teams may just be wrong headed...

Or. May be. Rooney rule requires to look at morons also
Johnny Bollocks
Practice Squad

docc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:47 pm ..these other teams may just be wrong headed...

Yes. It's the lesser-known 'Mickey Rooney Rule'.
The Cooler King
Head Coach

Funny re-read through including like a 2 page detour about Danny Trevathans June 1 cap hit lol
thefish7
Journeyman

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:28 pm Getsy's been in the running for the Raiders, Patriots and Saints OC jobs and apparently he's having a "second conversation" with the latter.

As much as we deride him it seems there are those in the NFL who don't hold him responsible for the Bears struggles, which is interesting. That would seem to imply they see Fields as largely the issue.
Or they're looking for information about Fields. All 3 are viable trade destinations for him.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:28 pm Getsy's been in the running for the Raiders, Patriots and Saints OC jobs and apparently he's having a "second conversation" with the latter.

Ryan Poles has the most information at his disposal and clearly saw Getsy as a problem, hence his firing.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:26 pm

Ryan Poles has the most information at his disposal and clearly saw Getsy as a problem, hence his firing.
And I don't think any of us are sorry to see him go. Getsy being a problem though doesn't mean that Fields was blameless. 3 teams showing an interest in Getsy is a little surprising but then there are a lot of OC vacancies this year and he now has more experience than some other candidates do. Also as @thefish7 says they may just be after information on Fields with regards to a potential trade although the Saints having a second meeting with Getsy suggests they might have a genuine interest in hiring him.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:49 am
dplank wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:26 pm

And I don't think any of us are sorry to see him go. Getsy being a problem though doesn't mean that Fields was blameless. 3 teams showing an interest in Getsy is a little surprising but then there are a lot of OC vacancies this year and he now has more experience than some other candidates do. Also as @thefish7 says they may just be after information on Fields with regards to a potential trade although the Saints having a second meeting with Getsy suggests they might have a genuine interest in hiring him.
Who said Fields was blameless?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Honestly, I read this as 3 pretty hapless organizations that dont have many options:

-Saints are tethered to Derek Carr for the near future, and it's not crazy to think Dennis Allen's string of mediocrity is going to come to an end sooner than later if he cant find someone to salvage the offensive side of the ball... Doubt they let him scapegoat another OC. That's a shit situation to walk into.

-Jerod Mayo is a nice story, but spending his entire life in the Patriots organization has left him with zero semblance of a coaching network of his own, and that offensive roster is BARE.

-The Raiders are the Raiders. They're up against the Chiefs and now the Harbaugh Chargers. They dont have a QB nor a high draft pick, and you know that if/when things turn sour the OC is going to be the first sacrificial lamb for Pierce.
wab
Mod

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:07 am

Honestly, I read this as 3 pretty hapless organizations that dont have many options:

-Saints are tethered to Derek Carr for the near future, and it's not crazy to think Dennis Allen's string of mediocrity is going to come to an end sooner than later if he cant find someone to salvage the offensive side of the ball... Doubt they let him scapegoat another OC. That's a shit situation to walk into.

-Jerod Mayo is a nice story, but spending his entire life in the Patriots organization has left him with zero semblance of a coaching network of his own, and that offensive roster is BARE.

-The Raiders are the Raiders. They're up against the Chiefs and now the Harbaugh Chargers. They dont have a QB nor a high draft pick, and you know that if/when things turn sour the OC is going to be the first sacrificial lamb for Pierce.
Yeah, the Raiders and the Pats interviews seem like information gathering on Fields. The interview with the Saints feels pretty real.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Johnny Bollocks wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:18 pm
docc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:47 pm ..these other teams may just be wrong headed...

:lol:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I thought the Mickey Rooney Rule was that if you interview a white guy pretending to be a minority, it still counts.

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:51 pm

I thought the Mickey Rooney Rule was that if you interview a white guy pretending to be a minority, it still counts.

We would also accept Murder By Death Peter Sellers
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Getsy getting multiple interviews I take as a negative sign.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Thought for sure he’d be a HC by now :?
Magilla_Gorilla
Journeyman

artbest01
Assistant Coach

Imo, a bit of an indication of what league decision makers may actually think of Justin Fields. Getsy was in the mix for a couple of jobs

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:32 am
dplank
Hall of Famer

Maybe being 18th in the NFL in scoring isn’t quite the indictment for the OC, or QB, that we thought it was?
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/394 ... oordinator

Quotes from that article:
Pierce said an incoming offensive coordinator would have to be a teacher who can "adjust on the fly" during games.

"What are the Raiders known for? The vertical passing game, right? We want to see the shots down the field. We want the explosive plays."

Good luck getting either of those traits from Getsy! :rofl:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Articles stated that Getsy wasn't considered negatively around the league. This kind of implies that Fields wasn't able to execute his offense. Should take the Raiders out of any potential deal if Fields is traded, I don't see any reunion between the 2.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:22 am Articles stated that Getsy wasn't considered negatively around the league. This kind of implies that Fields wasn't able to execute his offense. Should take the Raiders out of any potential deal if Fields is traded, I don't see any reunion between the 2.
Yeah that part is a bit of a bummer IF Getsy is telling leadership to vote 'NO' on Proposition JF1.

I think Getsy talks a very good game and clearly understands how to attack defenses. What I didn't see him from is the ability to build plays off of plays in order to keep a defense off-balance.

Once his set of scripted plays were completed and the defense adjusted, he was cooked. Scarily enough there are similar concerns about Shane Waldron being voiced by some Seahawk fans/media.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

RichH55
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:37 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:22 am Articles stated that Getsy wasn't considered negatively around the league. This kind of implies that Fields wasn't able to execute his offense. Should take the Raiders out of any potential deal if Fields is traded, I don't see any reunion between the 2.
Yeah that part is a bit of a bummer IF Getsy is telling leadership to vote 'NO' on Proposition JF1.

I think Getsy talks a very good game and clearly understands how to attack defenses. What I didn't see him from is the ability to build plays off of plays in order to keep a defense off-balance.

Once his set of scripted plays were completed and the defense adjusted, he was cooked. Scarily enough there are similar concerns about Shane Waldron being voiced by some Seahawk fans/media.
I think this is said about just about any OC ever - at some point.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Sweetness34 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:56 am https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/394 ... oordinator

Pierce said an incoming offensive coordinator would have to be a teacher who can "adjust on the fly" during games.

"What are the Raiders known for? The vertical passing game, right? We want to see the shots down the field. We want the explosive plays."

Or, just maybe Justin Field’s ability to run an NFL offense limited what was able to happen around him? I mean it’s not exactly out of the realm of possibilities, but it’s also the raiders who previously hired McDaniels so their judgement should be questioned.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:40 am
Sweetness34 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:56 am https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/394 ... oordinator

Or, just maybe Justin Field’s ability to run an NFL offense limited what was able to happen around him? I mean it’s not exactly out of the realm of possibilities, but it’s also the raiders who previously hired McDaniels so their judgement should be questioned.
Like many have said both Getsy and Fields being the problem can be true.