Bears fire OC Luke Getsy, QB coach Andrew Jonoko

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wulfy
MVP

G08
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:46 pm
Welp, now we need to figure out just who the hell this dude is, what his beliefs are, and what kind of system he is bringing to Chicago.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
rtd
Practice Squad

GO8 ,what part of the packers offense did you not like? This board is frantic about this guy but he is Ebur's first choice. And poles bought off, Rodgers endorses him as the guy that helped him the last 2 years (both MVP) not Hackett. Shannihan tree roots as a west coast offensive mind.
dave99
Assistant Coach

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
Getsy, originally hired by former coach Mike McCarthy as a quality control assistant in 2014, was promoted in 2016 to receivers coach and became a favorite of veteran Davante Adams and others because of his unique coaching drills and personality. He left to become offensive coordinator/play caller for Mississippi State in 2018 and returned to Green Bay under LaFleur to coach quarterbacks in ’19.

He had the passing game coordinator title added after the ’19 season. Along with Hackett, Getsy had considerable input in the offense, particularly in the passing game, and was close to quarterback Aaron Rodgers
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I sincerely hope that I have been wrong about this individual. I will damn sure apologize if that becomes the reality.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Well, call me underwhelmed. But If Pep decides to come back to be the QB coach I will have some hope. I have to have faith, it's all I can do. Now time to do some research on this guy. Maybe this is the last straw that drives Rogers out of Green Bay, and Green Bay into the ground. In that case he's completely worth it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I like it
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:00 pmI like it
I mean, he's got a good reputation, and Rogers likes him. Rogers had 37 TD's and 4 INT's with a 112 rating in 2021. Now is most of that his own talent? Undoubtedly. But if he liked Getsy as his QB Coach, that says something...I guess.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Funny as I just heard Stenovich was going to be GB OC this afternoon from a reliable source and was going to post Getty is likely our guy when I got home.

Know nothing about him but fact it’s a guy not from colts or Chiefs seems like thought was put into it.
Last edited by BearsFanInMN on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
IotaNet
MVP

pus wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:36 pm
I sincerely hope that I have been wrong about this individual. I will damn sure apologize if that becomes the reality.
@pus and @G08 — I am with you. If this dude turns out to be the real deal then I will confess to being wrong but right now? :sick:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Peckers are imploding. Just wait till the cuts start coming! Aaron is going to run for the hills and look for the easiest gig he can find.

All I can say about Getsy is....I've watched a lot of Packers games and they seem to have open WR's all the time. Lots of slants and screen, something Nagy hated for some reason.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Man I hope these coaching hires work out as of now I'm fairly ambivalent.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:00 pmI like it
Know that I'm glad for you and I'm looking forward to joining you when the kool-aid flows anew.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Okay now this is an interesting connection. I'll try not to put too much stock into the decision making of a 16-17 year old, but...

Article to support this chain of events
https://onwardstate.com/2019/11/21/look ... enn-state/
Fields’ mother and high school coach later revealed that the uncertainty surrounding then-offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead’s future in Happy Valley was one reason why he decommitted.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:18 pm The Peckers are imploding. Just wait till the cuts start coming! Aaron is going to run for the hills and look for the easiest gig he can find.

All I can say about Getsy is....I've watched a lot of Packers games and they seem to have open WR's all the time. Lots of slants and screen, something Nagy hated for some reason.
I mean it's a really good point. Quick hitting passes, and getting the ball into the hands of your playmakers. I know it's a novel concept, one that Nagy could never fully grasp. But if Getsy can scheme up quick plays to get the ball into the hands of Kmet, Mooney, and Monty. Then I'm on board.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Broncos interviewed him for their head coach job and their GM was in Minnesota for a long time, so you know he has contacts that would know him and he had a good enough reputation to get that interview which is encouraging.

I like that he’s had experience under three different coaches and in different systems. Having different philosophies to draw from should be helpful if something isn’t working.

Also, as this is his first go around he can take elements from all three and literally build an offense around Fields.

He was also apparently responsible for introducing the RPO elements to their offense and designing their 3rd down plays.

In his recent history he was WR coach when Adams broke out, a QB coach when Rodgers was MVP (possibly back to back), and a passing game coordinator responsible for 3rd down plays for an offense that finished top 10 in 3rd down conversions.

You could attribute that all to the HOF QB but he’s gotten results in the positions he’s held, so you can’t penalize him for having a great QB and he should be getting a shot at a bigger role. Hopefully, it works out.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I might be completely wrong. Getzy might end up being great for all I know. But this is a worst case scenario. Our offensive leader, designer and playcaller...
- Pro playcalling experience? Nope
- Setup a pro offense before? Nope
- As far as being a QB coach goes, Aaron Rodgers was a pretty well finished product before you arrived. No reason to think... Look how improved Rodgers is because Getzy was coaching him. No.
- The only reason Getzy needed to show up for work was to groom Love. Two years in, that looks like a fail. Which is why we want him to groom Justin Fields?

This is not the kind of resume we need to be bringing to a staff of newbie unprovens at the top.

I could be wrong and Getzy could be the next Kyle Shanahan. I hope I am. But it looks like a disappointing choice to me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:37 pm Okay now this is an interesting connection. I'll try not to put too much stock into the decision making of a 16-17 year old, but...

Article to support this chain of events
https://onwardstate.com/2019/11/21/look ... enn-state/
Fields’ mother and high school coach later revealed that the uncertainty surrounding then-offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead’s future in Happy Valley was one reason why he decommitted.
That’s a fascinating connection. I wonder if it was mainly the relationship or the offense that had attracted Fields.

Here’s a video of him coaching at Mississippi State that kind of reminds me of the Eberflus clip:

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:41 pm I might be completely wrong. Getzy might end up being great for all I know. But this is a worst case scenario. Our offensive leader, designer and playcaller...
- Pro playcalling experience? Nope
- Setup a pro offense before? Nope
- As far as being a QB coach goes, Aaron Rodgers was a pretty well finished product before you arrived. No reason to think... Look how improved Rodgers is because Getzy was coaching him. No.
- The only reason Getzy needed to show up for work was to groom Love. Two years in, that looks like a fail. Which is why we want him to groom Justin Fields?

This is not the kind of resume we need to be bringing to a staff of newbie unprovens at the top.

I could be wrong and Getzy could be the next Kyle Shanahan. I hope I am. But it looks like a disappointing choice to me.
Sean McVay had no pro play calling experience and had never set up an offense when he was made an offensive coordinator. Kyle Shanahan had never been a pro play caller or set up an offense when he became an offensive coordinator.

I personally would have preferred to pair the defensive minded first time head coach with an experienced play caller but I would have been more conservative on pretty much all the decisions that have been made. And no available OC candidates with experience would be Shanahan or McVay.

If you want those guys you have to give a young up and coming coach a shot.

We literally have no idea what his offense would look like or even which system he coached in will have the most influence on it. So I’m not sure how anyone can be disappointed.

Unless you’re just disappointed you don’t know what you’re getting.

He was also reportedly responsible for adding the RPO elements to their offense and designing their 3rd down plays, so while he hasn’t implemented a whole offense he’s implemented pieces of it.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The Pickers failed to promote this guy when they just lost their GM - that is not a vote of confidence.

If he was carrying his weight, I think they would have found a way to keep him.

If LaFleur doesn't want to let him call plays, why on earth would the Bears let him call plays?
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Xee
Site Admin

pus wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:22 am If LaFleur doesn't want to let him call plays, why on earth would the Bears let him call plays?
I'm guessing because LaFleur is like Nagy and doesn't want to give up the playbook so Getsy left for somewhere where he can do just that.

I dunno, I'm just going to trust Eberflus on this and hope he knows what he's doing.
dplank
Hall of Famer

He didn’t let Hackett call plays either and Denver hired him as HC.
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... oc-packers

Why would Getsy leave Green Bay?
With Hackett taking the Broncos’ head coaching job, Getsy appeared to be the obvious choice to take over as the offensive coordinator in Green Bay. But LaFleur calls plays for the Packers and still oversees the offense, so it’s not an OC job that comes with full autonomy.

Eberflus could offer Getsy that in Chicago. The OC will call the plays and have control over an offense that will be built around Justin Fields. The quarterback’s presence on the roster is also a big attraction for the coordinator. Perhaps the uncertainty with Rodgers’ future weakened the attraction of staying in Green Bay without play calling duties. Given his strong relationship with Rodgers, this move certainly has to raise some eyebrows in Wisconsin.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

pus wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:22 am The Pickers failed to promote this guy when they just lost their GM - that is not a vote of confidence.

If he was worth a shit I think they would have found a way to keep him.

If LaFleur doesn't want to let him call plays, why on earth would the Bears let him call plays?

Hals Hal must be built over some kind of underground anomaly that exudes stupidity into the air those guys breathe. They need to overhaul the vapor barrier in their fucking crawl space.
I'm almost certain that nothing can be done on offense that will be worse than what Nagy offered. Working with the current MVP and learning what it takes to be at that level may be something that can be beneficial to Fields.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:00 am
pus wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:22 am The Pickers failed to promote this guy when they just lost their GM - that is not a vote of confidence.

Hals Hal must be built over some kind of underground anomaly that exudes stupidity into the air those guys breathe. They need to overhaul the vapor barrier in their fucking crawl space.
I'm almost certain that nothing can be done on offense that will be worse than what Nagy offered. Working with the current MVP and learning what it takes to be at that level may be something that can be beneficial to Fields.
Thanks for the encouraging words, Hema2.0. I'll do my best to follow your optimistic and hopeful spirit.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Poles and Eberflus have fully committed to this guy. There are many options out there but they’ve gone for Getsy. On that basis I’m saying that they know more about this guy than leaked sources and tenuous historical sources. People learn and develop, you can’t judge them based on something which happened years ago in a college role.
Do you really think Rodgers would have tolerated a QB coach who was clueless or useless? I don’t.

Equally all OCs start somewhere. Look at Kellen Moore, at one point in the season he was ripping it up at the Cowboys - his first OC job. Bellichick said Moore is going to make a good HC one day.
There were times when people wanted him as bears HC.
For some reason he was first choice for Eberflus and Poles, we’ve got to trust their judgement on this.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:06 am For some reason he was first choice for Eberflus and Poles, we’ve got to trust their judgement on this.
They are both doing this for the first time. Why should I trust them?

I agree with everything @Mikefive said. This is a risky choice. And why are two first timers making a risky choice?? It deserves skepticism if not criticism
xyt in the discord chats
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:09 am
They are both doing this for the first time. Why should I trust them?
What’s the alternative?
It’s a miserable existence to worry about something you can’t change and has already happened :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Artbest
Player of the Month

Not sure this post makes a lot of sense. Getsy may be good, he may suck - but your logic is, at best, flawed.

Lafleur is, like the overwhelming majority of OCs turned head coaches, going to call his own plays. Andy Reid still calls his own plays. Shanahan calls his own plays. Reich calls his own plays. Mcvay calls his own plays. Lafleur didn’t let Hackett call his own plays - now he’s a head coach.

Getsy was going to be Green Bay’s OC - but he wasn’t going to call plays. The bears are giving him the opportunity to run his own offense. It’s an easy call for the bears new coordinator.

It’s fair to criticize hiring a first time OC who hasn’t called plays in the nfl - questioning why he wasn’t allowed to in Green Bay isn’t fair

dave99
Assistant Coach

From the Trib this morning:

Aaron Rodgers:
And Luke Getsy, he’s about a month younger than me, so that’s pretty awesome for him to be getting an opportunity (to interview in Denver),” Rodgers said on ‘The Pat McAfee Show.’ “But he’s been around the game for a long time, the QB room, the receiver room, then he went down to college and was an offensive coordinator in the SEC, and then came back. He’s been in our room for three years now, and he’s a fantastic coach. He’s a really good teacher of the game. I’m excited for him.”
This guy presumably knows what he is getting in Fields and is staking his reputation that he can make it work.
Right now that is good enough for me.

Just found this in the Athletic, a couple of weeks old when he was interviewing for HC positions:
“One of the unsung heroes is Coach Getsy,” Adams said of his wide receivers coach in the first two years his career took off after struggling in 2014 and ’15. “Luke Getsy is a coach who I really really enjoyed having. … I had a lot of respect for Gets and what he did with us because he played quarterback, so the way he dove into the wideout position as far as the particulars, that helped open up my eyes even more so than what I learned from (Williams) before that. So he’s a guy who’s trying to be a master at his craft. And it’s funny to me that he ran a room like me, Jordy (Nelson), (Randall) Cobb, James Jones, because he threw to James … he was the (college) all-star game quarterback, so that was his guy, and now he’s coming here and telling him what to do. I love it though, man.”

“Getsy played the game in college, actually with a couple of my former junior college teammates, crazy enough,” said Rodgers, who added that Getsy is capable of being in front of a room and captivating an audience, a quality he thinks is most important in a head coach. “He’s 38 years old, well, about to be 38 and he’s got a great energy about him.”
Wondering if this helps in the pursuit of Adams?
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne