How is the weather where you are ?

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, the weather peeps were right for once in their life. Central IL got hit with a snowstorm on Monday night, Tuesday morning. Bad enough that the Sheriff closed the courthouse. We got hit again Thurs night and Friday morning. Got snow, rain and snow again with this latter storm. Winds came last night and has made things pretty nasty. Temp right now is 11 with a real feel of -11. Things will be much worse tonight and through tomorrow. High tomorrow is supposed to be -5!!!!

Hunkering down watching bball and football all day the next 2 days.

Menu tonight will consist of corn bread topped with seasoned pork loin, cheddar cheese, corn chips, lettuce and tomatoes. Tomorrow will be having some italian beef simmering all day long.

If stay warm those of you in the midwest and east.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well, as we speak it’s -18 F and the wind is gusting to 30-40 mph, so RealFeel is -49. Just drove into town for lunch with wife to meet daughter and son in law after a quick run to runnings for dog food and a new dog dummy.

Too windy to fish, but by tomorrow afternoon it will be -13 with only 10-15 mph wind, so I will be in the ice shack listening to playoff games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Finally got snow in NE Pennsylvania last week, 11 inches as a matter of fact. I bought a little electric snowblower last year but it never snowed enough to break it out. The snow was wet and heavy, "heart attack" snow. The snowblower was just barely able to handle it otherwise I'd still be shovelling. Since then, it's gotten into the 40s, lots of rain so most of the snow has melted. Another storm expected on Tuesday.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago and we got snow yesterday. Then seemingly more overnight and during the day today.

Thank God I made a deal with my neighbor for snow plowing. I stand there in one of the family rooms with my coffee and watch him plow the driveway and shovel the remainder. He's done in fifteen minutes.

He's coming by sometime today to do it again. Money well spent. I've had this deal with him for almost 20 years.

I went out this morning to run a couple errands and the roads were crap. By the time I was coming back home they were much better.

Spending the day today playing videogames with my kid, reading, cooking jambalaya for dinner and of course watching football this afternoon. Workout is done.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Out shoveling my sidewalks (didn't touch the driveway as the city plows really piled the shit pretty high there. Look across the street and my neighbor, and his newer 4 wheel drive truck are stuck in his driveway. I ended up having to crawl partially under the truck to dig some shit out from underneath. The shit the city plows put at the end of his drive turned into big damn chunks of ice. Thankfully another neighbor saw me and came out and helped.

Good deed for the day.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Getting ready for fishing.going to get up to a balmy -7.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Less than two miles from my front door.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

This scary image from the Chiefs-Dolphins game last night:

I've been to 2 Bears games in frigid conditions. One back in Wrigley against the 49ers, damn it was freezing and the parents had us bundled up so we looked like the Michelin man. Was at the game in which Walter set the single game rushing record. There was a shirtless, quite obese guy dancing and waving a bottle of Jack Daniels a few rows away; needed eye bleach.
wab
Mod

10 degrees here in Dallas.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:26 pm Well, the weather peeps were right for once in their life. Central IL got hit with a snowstorm on Monday night, Tuesday morning. Bad enough that the Sheriff closed the courthouse. We got hit again Thurs night and Friday morning. Got snow, rain and snow again with this latter storm. Winds came last night and has made things pretty nasty. Temp right now is 11 with a real feel of -11. Things will be much worse tonight and through tomorrow. High tomorrow is supposed to be -5!!!!

Hunkering down watching bball and football all day the next 2 days.

Menu tonight will consist of corn bread topped with seasoned pork loin, cheddar cheese, corn chips, lettuce and tomatoes. Tomorrow will be having some italian beef simmering all day long.

If stay warm those of you in the midwest and east.
Here in Champaign it was as you described. This morning it's 8 with a negative windchill, roads are gross but not icy, mercifully.

I'm a fan of snow but not the cold. I love chilly/brisk and snow is wonderful, but when there's the bare minimum of snow and it's simply cold as the lowest ring of Satan's blue hell, I can't say I'm a fan. It's nice and cozy to hunker down but I never want to get out of bed. I have visions of getting stuff accomplished and being productive but after crawling out of bed I have no further ambition beyond getting back under the covers.
dplank
Hall of Famer

79 and sunny here today
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Almost bikini weather today here.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

got 4-5 inches of snow overnight ... high today supposed to be 30, low overnight 10
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Was supposed to have cancer surgery today but had to postpone, no way could we get to the hospital today with all the snow which fell all last night and this a.m.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

View from my living room:

We ended up with about 6" total snow, which is a lot for TN, at least at this elevation. Single digits tonight. Duck hunting in the morn. Will be busting ice to create a hole for birds to land.
NOT really looking forward to it!
wab
Mod

Man I’d kill for a place in the mountains on the water. Thats my paradise.
UOK
Site Admin

I'd love a scenic home like that if I had any DIY skills. I'm an IT dork, and not a very good one at that. Would be an incredible way to disconnect and read, though.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Beautiful Burl. I could get used to that view. Fall and winter would be awesome.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

It’s a bit nippy here at the moment
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:12 pm It’s a bit nippy here at the moment
Nippy?

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

In the middle of cheese land last week both storms brought about 17". It got down to -15 per my car, though I think the weather channel said -10. It hasnt gotten much above 0. Todays been the warmest and we are at 7°. On Tuesday I think half the cars parked on the road needed a jump. Both mine did.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:34 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:12 pm It’s a bit nippy here at the moment
Nippy?

Aniston and Farah, most famous nips around.
wab
Mod

60 yesterday. 19 tomorrow. January-March is the worst in Texas.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

3 more inches of snow overnight and sub zero wind chills. 6 right now with a real feel of -11.

@wab that is a big damn temp swing there. That would be brutal.
karhu
Head Coach

Over the last seven years, I've lived in one place that has nothing but summer (and Hurricane Season) and one place that has almost nothing but April-in-Chicagoish weather (and either constant rain or absolute drought, but nothing in between).

Hang in there, everyone going through real weather. For what it's worth, the seasons have a lot going for them. At least when you live in a place without 'em.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
LacertineForest
MVP

I left for the Philippines the last Sunday of the regular season and arrived back in LA today (my last flight home is tomorrow). I believe my car is buried under a foot and a half of snow in the economy lot at the Madison, WI airport, but it was in the 80's about every day on my trip.

Looks like I missed all the extreme cold, so that's a nice bonus, but I am still not looking forward to the adjustment in temperature when I return tomorrow.
docc
Head Coach

Was about 80* yesterday but a winter storm came in.. Wearing T, a sweater and a Bears(of course) hoodie..59*. Going to rain and chill us until mid week..

Growning up in Chicago..then Campaign then Woodstock..

I moved..
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:31 am I left for the Philippines the last Sunday of the regular season and arrived back in LA today (my last flight home is tomorrow). I believe my car is buried under a foot and a half of snow in the economy lot at the Madison, WI airport, but it was in the 80's about every day on my trip.

Looks like I missed all the extreme cold, so that's a nice bonus, but I am still not looking forward to the adjustment in temperature when I return tomorrow.
Had a friend up in Alaska one time. He was In Australia where it was 100 degrees F and took a flight home where it was -100 degrees F wind chill. Talk about that kind of change in a day. When I lived in Chicago, I returned from a trip to Florida to find my car comletely buried in snow, battery dead, etc. Hope yours didn't suffer the same!
LacertineForest
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:46 am
LacertineForest wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:31 am I left for the Philippines the last Sunday of the regular season and arrived back in LA today (my last flight home is tomorrow). I believe my car is buried under a foot and a half of snow in the economy lot at the Madison, WI airport, but it was in the 80's about every day on my trip.

Had a friend up in Alaska one time. He was In Australia where it was 100 degrees F and took a flight home where it was -100 degrees F wind chill. Talk about that kind of change in a day. When I lived in Chicago, I returned from a trip to Florida to find my car comletely buried in snow, battery dead, etc. Hope yours didn't suffer the same!
Damn! 100 to -100 is quite the change.

Thankfully, I knew someone who lived close to the airport and they came over to the airport and dug my car out. Battery turned over okay, even at 1am (last flight got delayed, so I am tired this morning :sick:)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That's awesome.

How was the trip?