Offensive Line thoughts

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

They're going to have to sign a veteran center. They're not going to play a rookie QB with a rookie center and if they decide to stick with Fields then nobody is going to believe they're going to draft a QB if they don't have a veteran center, which may impact trade offers.
German Bear
Practice Squad

I think we are in a good position here. I would add a center and guard in round 3/4 and a veteran who can play both in the FA. A depth tackle might make sense in a late round.

But I don't see any need to invest in one of the top picks here. Round 1 and 2 I would see QB, WR and DE/DT.
Bears Fan from Würzburg, Germany
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I do love Frazier but it's hard to rely on a single player being available in the mid-rounds. I'd 100% take him to be a backup and/or compete for an OG spot but I wouldn't leave an opening at OC through FA. It looks like there will be quality veteran centers on the market and I think this is a great opportunity to slam the door on this problem. Even the most expensive centers are not THAT expensive so I'd get the best one who's willing to take a call from Poles.

I haven't watched OT tape but my understanding is there is significant depth in this class. If the Bears end up with a 2nd round pick there will probably be OT value but for the 01.09 pick it's gotta be WR, 3T, or EDGE because Braxton > DeMarcus Walker and there's no debating we need at least 2 WRs this offseason.

As an aside, Carter seemed decent (though PFF disagrees) and may be developing into a solid backup? Borom struggled and I assume they will replace him.
xyt in the discord chats
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

ramentaschen wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:25 am I was curious about how the Bears ranked as far as allowed sacks for 2023

....turns out, we were pretty bad:
:lol: surely you anticipated this?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wab
Mod

I just watched a clip of Jaylon Johnson talking about Fields. He was basically like "He's got to be comfortable in the pocket to be able to take the next step, and the OL can't sustain blocks".
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:20 pm I just watched a clip of Jaylon Johnson talking about Fields. He was basically like "He's got to be comfortable in the pocket to be able to take the next step, and the OL can't sustain blocks".
He is right, they really can’t. Or he’s just an apologist who hates his own teammates? They improved a ton this year, but still have work to do. I expect more improvement next year:

Y2 for Wright
A new C
And hopefully whatever was going on with Nate Davis sorts itself out
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:20 pm I just watched a clip of Jaylon Johnson talking about Fields. He was basically like "He's got to be comfortable in the pocket to be able to take the next step, and the OL can't sustain blocks".
You can't expect Pass Blocking for 3.5 seconds on AVERAGE. That's not really how the NFL works
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Wouldn't be surprised if they bring Feeney back. He's a UFA but won't command a lot of offers and dollars. I'd rather they kept him as a backup C if they draft one and don't sign one in FA.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Teven Jenkins chosen as Bears' Most Improved Player

Due to his performance as a run blocker and pass protector, ChicagoBears.com has selected Jenkins as the Bears' Most Improved Player in 2023.

"I'm really proud of the man and player that Teven is becoming," said Bears offensive line coach Chris Morgan. "His focus and consistency were evident to everyone in the program this year. He is an enforcer on the field whose play style has helped us build a strong foundation for the future."

According to Pro Football Focus, Jenkins:
  • Allowed no sacks and no pressures on 99 snaps in games against the Commanders (37), Raiders (33) and Lions (29).
  • Was the only Bears offensive lineman not to permit a sack or quarterback hit through the first eight games of the season.
  • Received a 91.1 grade versus the Saints that was the highest of any NFL offensive lineman during Week 9, highest of his career and highest of any Bears player that weekend.
  • Earned a 76.3 grade in a home win over the Lions that was the highest of any player on the Bears offense.

Full article: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/teven ... 023-season
The second PFF stat is a strange one to include given that Teven missed the first 4 games and then only played 58% of the snaps when they eased him in his first game back!

It also seems a little odd that he's the "most improved" given that he played well last season and was easily the Bears best O-lineman, but I'm pleased he's getting recognised. I've really enjoyed watching him play this year (the last game aside). I really hope Poles extends him this offseason and in doing so gets him on a good deal for the next few years.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:24 am
Yes - but it took me like 8 seconds and a 300 Pound Man murdered me in the interim
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Not sure why he includes Cody Whitehair as the team's center given how little he played there and not Lucas Patrick.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I like Braxton, he's made himself into a top 15 or so guy. But I see film of Joe Alt and read draft reports and wonder if the Bears could have their Covert-Van Horne combo at tackles for the next 10 years.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:44 pm I like Braxton, he's made himself into a top 15 or so guy. But I see film of Joe Alt and read draft reports and wonder if the Bears could have their Covert-Van Horne combo at tackles for the next 10 years.
Yeah, much like the evaluations of Fields compared to Williams/Mayes/Whoever, I think that's the same process going on with Jones. If they think someone like Alt will take them to another level that Jones can't reach, they may decide to move on.

Much like the QB decision, I"m glad that I, or anyone here, has to make that call and I trust Poles and his people to get it right.
wab
Mod

FWIW, and I don't know if it will be the case with the Bears, but Seattle has generally had massive guards under Waldron. Damien Lewis, Gabe Jackson, Phil Haynes, and Anthony Bradford all 4 averaged about 329 and change. Makes me wonder if Borom will get a shot inside. Even if he does, I would imagine they still target a bigger guard in the draft.

LT has been Duane Brown and Charles Cross - both right around 310...So pretty similar to Braxton. RT has been Brandon Shell and Abraham Lucas - both 6'5/6'6 and about 325...so pretty similar to Wright.

Center has been Austin Blyth (6'2 305) and Evan Brown (6'2 315).

I have no idea if this means anything.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

When they retained Morgan, I was hoping for business as usual on the OL

I hate fat guards
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A look at the Bears O-line as it stands currently:

When you see Matt Pryors' RAS score you wonder why Poles signed him. He sure doesn't fit his usual profile. Ryan Bates on the other hand...
Bearfacts
MVP

Pryor is competition for Larry Borom. He's started 24 games in his career playing at LT, RT and OG so he's shown more versatility than Borom has so far. I wouldn't be shocked to see Poles add another OT once some vets are released throughout the summer.

As for the current starting five I don't see any huge holes or massive weakness. As a LT I see Braxton Jones as being better overall than Charles Leno was. He's not a top ten guy but he's also not a bottom ten guy who needs to be replaced. Wrights inconsistency is pretty much on par with most rookie OL. I think both OT can still get better and will get better with more experience.

Inside at OG and OC we look better than last year. Shelton is a legit vet OC with 30 starts over the past two years. Davis has played far better than he did last year so we might consider that an outlier caused by his personal issues. If he doesn't bounce back Bates is there to replace him. Jenkins could be an All Pro LG if he can stay on the field. He needs to shine in his contract year.

Overall they aren't a top ten OL but like Jones they're not bottom ten either and we'll still have very mobile QB so some weaknesses can be overcome by scheming around them especially with a QB who can throw as accurately off platform as CW has been able to do. Just get him "fixed" so he's not holding the ball too long like JF did all too often and some of our protection issues disappear.
dplank
Hall of Famer

This is the best OL we have had in a long while IMO. Kudos to Poles who really reshaped this thing
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

This year, there's perhaps 5 to 7 1st round OTs who will be available: Alt, Olu, Fuaga, Fatanu, Latham, Mimms, and Guyton. There are 2 IOL guys rated in the 1st round (JPP and Barton), perhaps another 1 or 2 in the 2nd round; the Bears signed one year rentals at C in free agency. The Bears have to be looking at OL not as a bleeding mess anymore but an area which always needs to be considered for the future.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think everyone is done with Borom but where are people on JT Carter? Is a he a worthwhile project or a target for replacement?
xyt in the discord chats
Bearfacts
MVP

crueltyabc wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:54 pm I think everyone is done with Borom but where are people on JT Carter? Is a he a worthwhile project or a target for replacement?
That Poles spent a draft pick to bring in Bates pretty much tells us how they view Carter. At best he's farther down the depth chart now than he was last year.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Am I the only one who think Bates starts at center? I don't think Poles tried to sign him a year or two ago and then traded for him to have him be a back up.

BJones, Jenkins, Bates, Davis, Wright. I like that lineup alot and it should be better than last season. I think Davis is going to have a monster bounce back year. Death is hard and everyone handles it differently. My dad passing knocked me on my ass for about a year then motivated me to soar to heights I previously thought unattainable. I choose to live a reality where Davis has a similar bounce back.

I like Carter as a backup. He is young and I'd give him this season to continue developing. I've personally seen enough of Borom and am ready to move on. Pryor and Shelton I don't really know but from what people here say they sound like solid back ups.

I'd still draft a OLineman if possible with one of our non first rounders.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:18 am Am I the only one who think Bates starts at center? I don't think Poles tried to sign him a year or two ago and then traded for him to have him be a back up.

BJones, Jenkins, Bates, Davis, Wright. I like that lineup alot and it should be better than last season. I think Davis is going to have a monster bounce back year. Death is hard and everyone handles it differently. My dad passing knocked me on my ass for about a year then motivated me to soar to heights I previously thought unattainable. I choose to live a reality where Davis has a similar bounce back.

I like Carter as a backup. He is young and I'd give him this season to continue developing. I've personally seen enough of Borom and am ready to move on. Pryor and Shelton I don't really know but from what people here say they sound like solid back ups.

Bates should be given the chance to win the center job. If he doesn't, though, he'll be in the wings. He and Shelton have to be better than what the Bears have been trotting out at center the past few years. Throw in a rookie center to learn and take over next year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Let the best man win, and I would be OK if Bates beat out Davis also.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:52 am Bates should be given the chance to win the center job. If he doesn't, though, he'll be in the wings. He and Shelton have to be better than what the Bears have been trotting out at center the past few years. Throw in a rookie center to learn and take over next year.
We'd like to think Poles has upgraded at center, but I can't be the only one who's still concerned about the position surely?

Shelton was signed to a 1-year deal for $3m. It took him a while to catch on in the NFL after going undrafted in 2018, failing to make the 49ers roster and then spending time on the Cardinals practice squad before joining the Rams the following year. He barely played during his first two seasons with them and when he did it was almost exclusively on special teams. He got his first couple of starts in 2021 and then became their full time starter the last two seasons, but they obviously decided to move on despite him still being under 30.

As for Bates, Poles obviously likes him having tried to acquire him a couple of years ago and being willing to trade away a 5th round pick for him, but he's only earning $4m a year. He's basically been a back up his whole 5-year career with his 15 of his 19 starts coming in 2022. Last year he was back on the bench; he didn't start any games and played only 35 offensive snaps. He's only played 170 snaps at Center the past two seasons combined, having mostly played Guard.

Experience-wise these guys are pretty similar to Lucas Patrick before he was signed by the Bears for a similar amount. We're all relieved to see others being brought in to replace him and Whitehair, but any assumption that this means an automatic upgrade is misplaced in my opinion. Until we see them play we just don't know. These are not obviously higher-end guys and for that reason a Center remains a draft priority as far as I'm concerned.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:29 am
Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:52 am Bates should be given the chance to win the center job. If he doesn't, though, he'll be in the wings. He and Shelton have to be better than what the Bears have been trotting out at center the past few years. Throw in a rookie center to learn and take over next year.
We'd like to think Poles has upgraded at center, but I can't be the only one who's still concerned about the position surely?

Shelton was signed to a 1-year deal for $3m. It took him a while to catch on in the NFL after going undrafted in 2018, failing to make the 49ers roster and then spending time on the Cardinals practice squad before joining the Rams the following year. He barely played during his first two seasons with them and when he did it was almost exclusively on special teams. He got his first couple of starts in 2021 and then became their full time starter the last two seasons, but they obviously decided to move on despite him still being under 30.

As for Bates, Poles obviously likes him having tried to acquire him a couple of years ago and being willing to trade away a 5th round pick for him, but he's only earning $4m a year. He's basically been a back up his whole 5-year career with his 15 of his 19 starts coming in 2022. Last year he was back on the bench; he didn't start any games and played only 35 offensive snaps. He's only played 170 snaps at Center the past two seasons combined, having mostly played Guard.

Experience-wise these guys are pretty similar to Lucas Patrick before he was signed by the Bears for a similar amount. We're all relieved to see others being brought in to replace him and Whitehair, but any assumption that this means an automatic upgrade is misplaced in my opinion. Until we see them play we just don't know. These are not obviously higher-end guys and for that reason a Center remains a draft priority as far as I'm concerned.
I was hoping for Bates to be the starter while drafting a center still. I think he has alot of potential and Poles clearly likes him. I dont know much of Shelton but from what i've read here he sounds like a good back up to me. I certainly would still like a center in the draft. I dont think either of these guys is the long term center of Calebs career. Id like to find that guy this year or at worst next.
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:29 am

Well, there are only like 4 centers in the draft that are considered starters, and two of those guys are likely going in the top 40. You can't address every position in one draft.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:18 am Am I the only one who think Bates starts at center? I don't think Poles tried to sign him a year or two ago and then traded for him to have him be a back up.

I go back and forth on it. If Sheldon starts he is the backup at all 3 IOL spots. Someone goes down, you plug him into that spot and everything else remains the same. I like that aspect. If Bates is your starter, Sheldon is the backup center. Bates goes down, you plug and play. The problem is Bates is likely the backup at the 2 OG spots. So if Jenkins or Davis miss time (which they both did last year and Jenkins has a history of missing games), that means sliding Bates over and then plugging in Sheldon. I don't like making 2 moves on the OL to cover one injury.
wab
Mod

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:51 am

I go back and forth on it. If Sheldon starts he is the backup at all 3 IOL spots. Someone goes down, you plug him into that spot and everything else remains the same. I like that aspect. If Bates is your starter, Sheldon is the backup center. Bates goes down, you plug and play. The problem is Bates is likely the backup at the 2 OG spots. So if Jenkins or Davis miss time (which they both did last year and Jenkins has a history of missing games), that means sliding Bates over and then plugging in Sheldon. I don't like making 2 moves on the OL to cover one injury.
I don't like moving two guys to cover for one injury either, but at the same time you can't build your starting offense around what might happen in the event of an injury. If you think Bates is the best option at center, you play him there.