Offensive Line thoughts

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Taking stock of where we are and realizing we have work to do this offseason. Projected 2024:

LT - Jones
LG - Jenkins
C - TBD
RG - Davis
RT - Wright

Depth: Carter, Borom, maybe Kramer
Likely gone: Whitehair, Patrick

Obviously we need a center, likely two. We need to hedge on both Davis and to a lesser extent Borom (who was really bad this year). Kramer would’ve been given a snap by now if he was any good, and Carter was iffy at best. As many as 4 new OL could be needed, including 1 starter (C) and a “starter graded” guy at G to hedge Davis poor play and Jenkins availability. Making matters worse, Jenkins last contract year is next year, so another need could arrive. So what’s reasonable to accomplish this offseason?

I would first extend Jenkins, lock up a G spot long term. Then I would resign Patrick to a cheap contract for depth. I’d like to draft a C high, hopefully from a trade down pick obtained, and let Patrick mentor him (I think he’d be great at this, and maximizes continuity). We should also nab another OL in the draft R4 or up, I don’t care if it’s T or G just best value. And then after the draft go and sign a 1 yr plug in at the other position you didn’t draft. I’d like the young T or G to bump Borom or Carter off the roster.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:32 pm Taking stock of where we are and realizing we have work to do this offseason. Projected 2024:

LT - Jones
LG - Jenkins
C - TBD
RG - Davis
RT - Wright

Obviously we need a center, likely two. We need to hedge on both Davis and to a lesser extent Borom (who was really bad this year). Kramer would’ve been given a snap by now if he was any good, and Carter was iffy at best. As many as 4 new OL could be needed, including 1 starter (C) and a “starter graded” guy at G to hedge Davis poor play and Jenkins availability. Making matters worse, Jenkins last contract year is next year, so another need could arrive. So what’s reasonable to accomplish this offseason?

I would first extend Jenkins, lock up a G spot long term. Then I would resign Patrick to a cheap contract for depth. I’d like to draft a C high, hopefully from a trade down pick obtained, and let Patrick mentor him (I think he’d be great at this, and maximizes continuity). We should also nab another OL in the draft R4 or up, I don’t care if it’s T or G just best value. And then after the draft go and sign a 1 yr plug in at the other position you didn’t draft. I’d like the young T or G to bump Borom or Carter off the roster.
With Jenkins Injury history do you think it's worth locking him up this year or letting it play out before deciding? I can see both positions working great for the team and both backfiring.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Barton is the pick :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Umbali
MVP

I want to see our first pick in the 1st round go to elite T. Alt or Fashanu. Then 2nd pick can go to best WR on the board. At the end of the day it doesnt matter how good your qb or wr is or even your rb, if your Oline is suspect.

We have all heard about building your team around the lines. I want an ELITE oline above all else. Once we start with that foundation it makes the QB position way easier to develop.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wab
Mod

I’m not convinced that Davis goes into next season as a starter.

I’m a Jones fan, but if they decided one of the rookie OTs was an upgrade, I’d have a hard time arguing.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

I have done a number of mocks taking one of the LT prospects, but then I question my plan from there, which is moving Jones to LG and Jenkins to RG. Of course that means shit canning Davis, who has just been a huge disappointment, Imo. Signing and drafting an OC is important as well.

Fixing all aspects of the offense is the main goal this off season.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:39 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:32 pm Taking stock of where we are and realizing we have work to do this offseason. Projected 2024:

LT - Jones
LG - Jenkins
C - TBD
RG - Davis
RT - Wright

With Jenkins Injury history do you think it's worth locking him up this year or letting it play out before deciding? I can see both positions working great for the team and both backfiring.
He’s been pretty durable the last two seasons, played every game but 1 this year after the PUP start. And he’s our best lineman, one of the best OGs in the league. Yea, I’m locking him up now.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

LT - Jones
LG - Jenkins
C - TBD
RG - Davis
RT - Wright

With the cap room we have, I would like to sign Lloyd Cushenberry and/or draft SVP, or other top prospects at C and solve that weak spot.

Guard is also important, much love for Jenkins, but injury history dictates you need more depth and not at all completely sold on Davis either. Whitehair is done, so I do not know how the position can be overlooked.

Wright looked really great as a rookie and Braxton Jones has continued to exceed expectations. Borom is looking like a liability and OT depth is also needed.

My basic rank by greatest need is Center x2, Guard and then OT.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I'd legitimately be fine with taking SVP late in the first or Zach Frazier in the second. It's been a huge need for years.

Teven is good on either side, but he's vocal about being more comfortable on the right. It makes sense to have him there, but I'm not sure if that will work in 2024. Nate Davis has a dead cap of $11mil in '24 but drops to $2mil in '25 so he'll probably stick around another year.

Brax and Darnell are honestly the least of my concerns.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Zach Frazier is a stud. He is Brandon Burlsworth effort and Jason Kelce talent
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’d take Frazier or SVP but I’d also take Graham Barton who can cover any position on the line
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:56 pm I want to see our first pick in the 1st round go to elite T. Alt or Fashanu. Then 2nd pick can go to best WR on the board. At the end of the day it doesnt matter how good your qb or wr is or even your rb, if your Oline is suspect.

We have all heard about building your team around the lines. I want an ELITE oline above all else. Once we start with that foundation it makes the QB position way easier to develop.
My thinking also. Elite LTs are mostly found in the 1st round and the Bears have a chance to grab one who has the potential. Take it. If the Bears don't sign a free agent center who's ready for his 2nd contract and can be with the team for a number of years, they have to draft a center. They need to draft another G; I'm not convinced Davis is an answer. Move Jenkins back to RG, plug the new guy at LG.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

One of the top tackles with one of the firsts(WR with the other) would make me very happy. Braxton and Wright compete and the loser is the swing or maybe moves to guard.

Can't leave this draft without a center. Preferably in the 2nd or 3rd round and not later. I'd also sign a vet. There is absolutely no reason for Patrick to be here with Getsy gone. They can absolutely find a better center than that bum in free agency

A guard in the top 4 rounds wouldn't upset me either.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

duckherd50 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:09 am Zach Frazier is a stud. He is Brandon Burlsworth effort and Jason Kelce talent
Someone is deep into their Netflix queue
RichH55
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 pm I'd legitimately be fine with taking SVP late in the first or Zach Frazier in the second. It's been a huge need for years.

Teven is good on either side, but he's vocal about being more comfortable on the right. It makes sense to have him there, but I'm not sure if that will work in 2024. Nate Davis has a dead cap of $11mil in '24 but drops to $2mil in '25 so he'll probably stick around another year.

Brax and Darnell are honestly the least of my concerns.
SVP is the guy I want for Center. I'd also be good with the FA from the Cowboys
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:18 pm
Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:39 pm

He’s been pretty durable the last two seasons, played every game but 1 this year after the PUP start.
This is such a crazy statement - If you ignore the games he started the season missing - then he only missed 1 More!

He's started 11 Games Each the last two years

That just is not the same as "pretty durable"

It's just not.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:02 pm Wright looked really great as a rookie and Braxton Jones has continued to exceed expectations.
Did they?

From what I saw watching tape of Wright he was pretty inconsistent. I haven't been able to find any detailed end-of-season stats, but did find this report of PFF stats after 12 games:
Per Pro Football Focus, Wright has given up 38 pressures and six sacks in 454 pass-blocking opportunities this season. That’s the most pressures allowed by any rookie tackle with at least 250 pass-blocking snaps. The six sacks are tied with Arizona Cardinals rookie Paris Johnson Jr. for the most among rookies.

Those 38 pressures allowed are tied for the fifth most among all tackles with at least 300 pass-blocking snaps. The six sacks allowed are tied for fourth most among all tackles.
For the season gave up 7 sacks and had 12 penalties, 11 of which were accepted.

He certainly didn't come straight in and dominate. Instead he had a typical rookie season with a mixture of good and bad. He faced some very good pass rushers, but has a lot of work to do if he's going to become a top OT which is what you want from a top 10 pick.

As for Braxton Jones, he improved but still has issues anchoring and drops too deep. Too often Fields feels pressure from his blindside even if Jones is holding his own because of how close he is to the QB. He has outplayed his draft position and Poles stated he was happy with his progress, but he still needs to improve.

This season they were OK starters, but the Bears really need them to become more than that. They're young so that's very possible, but we really need to see it next year. You can normally get a handle on how good linemen are going to be relatively quickly.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:11 am
bearsoldier wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:02 pm Wright looked really great as a rookie and Braxton Jones has continued to exceed expectations.
Did they?

From what I saw watching tape of Wright he was pretty inconsistent. I haven't been able to find any detailed end-of-season stats, but did find this report of PFF stats after 12 games:
Per Pro Football Focus, Wright has given up 38 pressures and six sacks in 454 pass-blocking opportunities this season. That’s the most pressures allowed by any rookie tackle with at least 250 pass-blocking snaps. The six sacks are tied with Arizona Cardinals rookie Paris Johnson Jr. for the most among rookies.

Those 38 pressures allowed are tied for the fifth most among all tackles with at least 300 pass-blocking snaps. The six sacks allowed are tied for fourth most among all tackles.
For the season gave up 7 sacks and had 12 penalties, 11 of which were accepted.

He certainly didn't come straight in and dominate. Instead he had a typical rookie season with a mixture of good and bad. He faced some very good pass rushers, but has a lot of work to do if he's going to become a top OT which is what you want from a top 10 pick.

As for Braxton Jones, he improved but still has issues anchoring and drops too deep. Too often Fields feels pressure from his blindside even if Jones is holding his own because of how close he is to the QB. He has outplayed his draft position and Poles stated he was happy with his progress, but he still needs to improve.

This season they were OK starters, but the Bears really need them to become more than that. They're young so that's very possible, but we really need to see it next year. You can normally get a handle on how good linemen are going to be relatively quickly.
Pressures isn't a great stat for what its worth - Though I agree with you that Wright was up and down overall

ESPN liked Braxton quite a bit: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/383 ... yers-teams
Noots
Assistant Coach

Hoog wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:09 pm I have done a number of mocks taking one of the LT prospects, but then I question my plan from there, which is moving Jones to LG and Jenkins to RG. Of course that means shit canning Davis, who has just been a huge disappointment, Imo. Signing and drafting an OC is important as well.

Hoog my man, I cannot agree with this. Jones has issues with power. They’ll be exposed on every down at guard. He might be only limited to LT and LT alone. Ideally, it would be great to get a better prospect at LT than him to upgrade there, and let Jones become the swing tackle, provided he can handle the right side as well.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:37 am
Hoog wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:09 pm I have done a number of mocks taking one of the LT prospects, but then I question my plan from there, which is moving Jones to LG and Jenkins to RG. Of course that means shit canning Davis, who has just been a huge disappointment, Imo. Signing and drafting an OC is important as well.

Hoog my man, I cannot agree with this. Jones has issues with power. They’ll be exposed on every down at guard. He might be only limited to LT and LT alone. Ideally, it would be great to get a better prospect at LT than him to upgrade there, and let Jones become the swing tackle, provided he can handle the right side as well.
Jones was still getting pushed back into the pocket / giving up too much ground for my liking.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:56 pm I want to see our first pick in the 1st round go to elite T. Alt or Fashanu. Then 2nd pick can go to best WR on the board. At the end of the day it doesnt matter how good your qb or wr is or even your rb, if your Oline is suspect.

My opinion about the draft picks is different but I’d be fine with this.

Build from the ball outwards. That means you start with the lines equally.

What do you do with Braxton Jones then? Move him to guard?
duckherd50
Player of the Month

RichH55 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:22 am
duckherd50 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:09 am Zach Frazier is a stud. He is Brandon Burlsworth effort and Jason Kelce talent
Someone is deep into their Netflix queue
I dont have Netflix. I do however know his story. He played at the same time I played in college
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We need a C and a G. Just as importantly the OL needs a leader. Who is the ass kicker that’s going to get everybody in place and hold them accountable for their play and aggressiveness?

I don’t see a rookie C handling that function. My preference is to spend money on a C in free agency.

We currently do not have a second but if we get one via trade down I’d be fine drafting a G to replace Davis.

Then, yeah, extend Jenkins and I think you can get him for a discount because of the injuries.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:16 am

My thinking also. Elite LTs are mostly found in the 1st round and the Bears have a chance to grab one who has the potential. Take it. If the Bears don't sign a free agent center who's ready for his 2nd contract and can be with the team for a number of years, they have to draft a center. They need to draft another G; I'm not convinced Davis is an answer. Move Jenkins back to RG, plug the new guy at LG.
Yes, move Jenkins back to RG. That right side of the line was humming great in the run game with Jenkins and Wright.
wab
Mod

How the new OC feels about the OL will be interesting. Jenkins/Wright are still pretty heavy dudes. I don't think they ever got to the body composition that Getsy/Morgan was after. So do they hire a dude that wants these guys to continue to shed weight and be athletic and powerful guys or are we back to Juan Castillo time where they are bulking back up to 350-360 road grader types....
Noots
Assistant Coach

I know Nate Davis is the whipping boy of most people on this board. They spent some pretty good coin on him. Barring catastrophic injury, he’s not going anywhere.
wab
Mod

Noots wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:34 am I know Nate Davis is the whipping boy of most people on this board. They spent some pretty good coin on him. Barring catastrophic injury, he’s not going anywhere.
They are stuck with him for 2024 (barring a trade). But he shouldn't be penciled in as a starter going into next season IMO.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:09 am We need a C and a G. Just as importantly the OL needs a leader. Who is the ass kicker that’s going to get everybody in place and hold them accountable for their play and aggressiveness?

I don’t see a rookie C handling that function. My preference is to spend money on a C in free agency.

We currently do not have a second but if we get one via trade down I’d be fine drafting a G to replace Davis.

Then, yeah, extend Jenkins and I think you can get him for a discount because of the injuries.
watch the clip of Frazier stumbling off the field in his last game at WVU so not to get the :10 run off. Kid broke his foot but still got off the field so WVU could win the game. He is the answer
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:34 am I know Nate Davis is the whipping boy of most people on this board. They spent some pretty good coin on him. Barring catastrophic injury, he’s not going anywhere.
He can be the swing guy if he loses his starting job. He won't be cut.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Nate Davis had enough going on his personal life that I can't imagine he's not penciled in as the starter. It will totally be spun as off field issues effected him. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as everyone handles death differently.

They should still draft a guard.