Update: Bears hire Eric Washington as new DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 29414
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 1779 times

We have a lot of discussions around the OC opening, but I haven't heard much happening on the defensive coordinator front. My assumption is that John Hoke or Phil Snow take the gig, but there have been some suggestions that Chris Harris could be in the mix.

User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 29414
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 1779 times

FWIW - Harris is currently interviewing for the Jags DC spot.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 20421
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Football Hell
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 698 times

I can see Hoke being promoted (although I want him to focus on coaching up the CBs), but if I had to pick one person in-house it would be Dave Borgonzi.

Either way I hope they keep Phil Snow one way or another.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Image
artbest01
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:39 pm
Been thanked: 173 times

With Eberflus likely retaining defensive play calling duties, my guess is that they promote from within.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 20421
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Football Hell
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 698 times

Which begs the question, who then fills in the vacant position coach position?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Image
cblaz11
MVP
Posts: 1257
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Looks like Riverboat Ron is open to DC role…
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 20421
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Football Hell
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 698 times

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:55 pm Looks like Riverboat Ron is open to DC role…
Link it!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Image
User avatar
docc
Head Coach
Posts: 3772
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: Outpost of Reality S.E. Arizona
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 151 times

https://larrybrownsports.com/

Ron Rivera lost his job as head coach of the Washington Commanders on Jan. 8, but he is eager to continue coaching. So eager, in fact, that he is willing to accept something of a demotion in order to remain in the game.

Rivera suggested he would be happy to work as a defensive coordinator in the right situation, the role he held for multiple teams before landing his first head coaching position in 2010.

“Sometimes you do have to take a step back,” Rivera told John Keim of ESPN. “You take a step back you learn and grow from it. It’s like I told other players, if you look at this year as a lost year, you’re [hurting] yourself. You should look at it as a year to learn and understand why things happen. This was probably the greatest learning experience I’ve had in a while this year. I mean, a lot of things came to light at certain times this past season that I think going forward will really help me.”
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Posts: 20421
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: Football Hell
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 698 times

docc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:35 pm https://larrybrownsports.com/

Ron Rivera lost his job as head coach of the Washington Commanders on Jan. 8, but he is eager to continue coaching. So eager, in fact, that he is willing to accept something of a demotion in order to remain in the game.

Rivera suggested he would be happy to work as a defensive coordinator in the right situation, the role he held for multiple teams before landing his first head coaching position in 2010.

“Sometimes you do have to take a step back,” Rivera told John Keim of ESPN. “You take a step back you learn and grow from it. It’s like I told other players, if you look at this year as a lost year, you’re [hurting] yourself. You should look at it as a year to learn and understand why things happen. This was probably the greatest learning experience I’ve had in a while this year. I mean, a lot of things came to light at certain times this past season that I think going forward will really help me.”
I mean that would be an excellent get, but would he be okay with not calling plays?

Or would this change the picture and Eberflus would go back to being a CEO?


Interesting shit
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Image
HurricaneBear
Head Coach
Posts: 2080
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:56 am
Has thanked: 1673 times
Been thanked: 311 times

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:51 pm
docc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:35 pm https://larrybrownsports.com/

Ron Rivera lost his job as head coach of the Washington Commanders on Jan. 8, but he is eager to continue coaching. So eager, in fact, that he is willing to accept something of a demotion in order to remain in the game.

Rivera suggested he would be happy to work as a defensive coordinator in the right situation, the role he held for multiple teams before landing his first head coaching position in 2010.

“Sometimes you do have to take a step back,” Rivera told John Keim of ESPN. “You take a step back you learn and grow from it. It’s like I told other players, if you look at this year as a lost year, you’re [hurting] yourself. You should look at it as a year to learn and understand why things happen. This was probably the greatest learning experience I’ve had in a while this year. I mean, a lot of things came to light at certain times this past season that I think going forward will really help me.”
I mean that would be an excellent get, but would he be okay with not calling plays?

Or would this change the picture and Eberflus would go back to being a CEO?


Interesting shit
I wouldnt hate Rivera as DC, but id rather just make Snow DC in name and keep things rolling like last season.

If they did hire Rivera, I gotta think Eberflus goes back to being CEO. Seems like that was what Eberflus wanted to do with the team. Williams just sucked to much
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 3589
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 182 times

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:51 pm
docc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:35 pm https://larrybrownsports.com/

Ron Rivera lost his job as head coach of the Washington Commanders on Jan. 8, but he is eager to continue coaching. So eager, in fact, that he is willing to accept something of a demotion in order to remain in the game.

Rivera suggested he would be happy to work as a defensive coordinator in the right situation, the role he held for multiple teams before landing his first head coaching position in 2010.

“Sometimes you do have to take a step back,” Rivera told John Keim of ESPN. “You take a step back you learn and grow from it. It’s like I told other players, if you look at this year as a lost year, you’re [hurting] yourself. You should look at it as a year to learn and understand why things happen. This was probably the greatest learning experience I’ve had in a while this year. I mean, a lot of things came to light at certain times this past season that I think going forward will really help me.”
I mean that would be an excellent get, but would he be okay with not calling plays?

Or would this change the picture and Eberflus would go back to being a CEO?


Interesting shit
I want to see where Flus' philosophy can take us. Give him a year with a solid free safety and one more threat rushing the passer and we could be pretty special.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
User avatar
dplank
Hall of Famer
Posts: 11676
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am
Has thanked: 1122 times
Been thanked: 1948 times

Man, I’d love getting Rivera. Flus did great and all, but he was also directly responsible for 2 late comeback losses where the D just laid down too early - and had his worst game of the year in Week 18!against the Packers. He’s lucky he kept his job after that fiasco, I don’t care about the point total he got super lucky with all the miscues or it would’ve been much worse. We didn’t play competitive football, we played soft and played to lose but avoid a blowout - sorry I’d rather play to win and if we get blown out so be it!

Rivera would bring a more aggressive approach to the same scheme, as he did for Lovie. He would really help us IMO.
User avatar
Grizzled
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5357
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 446 times

I'd like to see Rivera in the job. Having another guy with HC experience would only help Flus in his job. Perhaps he would turn over play calling also and get back to the main duties of a HC, which is to ride herd on everyone.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
User avatar
Burl
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:28 am
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 214 times

Big fan of Chris Harris.
Seems like he's coached here at least twice already.
I liked him as a player also and would like to see him rise up the ranks.
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5639
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 1557 times

Leslie Frazier was touted by some at one point. Just an update on him - he's been interviewed for the Raiders and Chargers HC jobs.

To be honest he's probably been given those interviews to fulfill the Rooney Rule.

He's the only candidate listed for the Raiders so far and the players all seem very much behind Antonio Pierce who had a decent 5-4 record after taking over when McDaniels was fired. That included 3 division wins in the last 4 with the one defeat being by 3 points to the Colts in Indianapolis. In the win over the Chargers they racked up a whopping 63 points and then they beat the Chiefs in Kansas City. Pierce really earned his shot to remain HC.

Meanwhile the Chargers seem to be interviewing just about everyone. They have 15 HC candidates on their list! They're also after interviewing for a new GM.
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5639
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 1557 times

One day later it's been confirmed the Raiders have retained Antonio Pierce as their head coach. Apparently he'll now be after a new OC, so more competition for the Bears.
User avatar
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:36 am
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 90 times

It is interesting to note that the Bears have not interviewed any external candidates for the DC spot. With Rivera, Lovie, and Frasier out there with proven 4-3 coaching resume's you would think at least one of them would be scheduled for an interview? I also noted Dave Borgonzi is listed as a potential DC candidate within an article from NBC Sports Philly. Are the Bears leaning toward to promoting Borgonzi and that is why it is quiet or are they too busy with the OC search?

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/n ... ch/559740/
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8187
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Parts Unknown
Has thanked: 835 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:08 am I'd like to see Rivera in the job. Having another guy with HC experience would only help Flus in his job. Perhaps he would turn over play calling also and get back to the main duties of a HC, which is to ride herd on everyone.
This is the perfect way to look at it. Same here.
I Take The Field With Fields

Image
User avatar
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:36 am
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Finally seeing some action for DC...

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8187
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Parts Unknown
Has thanked: 835 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

bearsoldier wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:36 pm Finally seeing some action for DC...

This is Meatball City, but I'm cool with this. I loved Chris Harris.
I Take The Field With Fields

Image
HurricaneBear
Head Coach
Posts: 2080
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:56 am
Has thanked: 1673 times
Been thanked: 311 times

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:40 pm
bearsoldier wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:36 pm Finally seeing some action for DC...

This is Meatball City, but I'm cool with this. I loved Chris Harris.
Same.

No clue how he is as a coach, but I'd be excited.
User avatar
IotaNet
MVP
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Minneapolis (Chicago Native)
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 138 times

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:40 pm
bearsoldier wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:36 pm Finally seeing some action for DC...

This is Meatball City, but I'm cool with this. I loved Chris Harris.


I think it would be a great move.
User avatar
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5065
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: Dallas TX
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 210 times

I know football people are weird but the Harris thing could never happen in a normal business. The Bears passed on him (or he passed on their offer?) for DB coach then come back right away and become the DC. In the scenario where Harris is DC... it seems weird that he'd be working with Hoke. If they can make it work, though, I'd be impressed and pleased. He has the right background but also some outside perspective and fresh eyes.
xyt in the discord chats
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times

BEARS SHUD BRANG BACK DET CHRIS HARTIS TO BE DEE SEE

HE WORE 46 JUST LIKE PLANK AND YA CANT BEET DAT
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Posts: 4482
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: South Dakota
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 285 times

I heard farmer Fran was coming in for an interview.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 24902
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 805 times

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
RichH55
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7574
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 533 times

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:00 pm
An extra window into Senior Bowl too?
User avatar
Moriarty
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6669
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm
Has thanked: 365 times
Been thanked: 643 times

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:28 pm I heard farmer Fran was coming in for an interview.
Wouldn't that get him dismissed by HR, too?


Or is it ok if they're your own nipples?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
User avatar
Mikefive
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5167
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 257 times

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:28 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:08 am I'd like to see Rivera in the job. Having another guy with HC experience would only help Flus in his job. Perhaps he would turn over play calling also and get back to the main duties of a HC, which is to ride herd on everyone.
This is the perfect way to look at it. Same here.
Will he bring Mark Anderson with him? We really, really need THAT.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
spudbear
MVP
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 131 times

If they bring in another DC name Williams then HR may have a problem with that, whether or not he shows his nipples on the sidelines.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Post Reply