Update: Bears hire Eric Washington as new DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:03 pm
dplank wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:00 pm I'm pretty shocked that the Packers fired Barry, we should hire him IMO. He'd give us an edge over those fuckers.

The Packers were 10th in scoring defense, we were 20th and are all excited lol. They were 17th in yards (we were 12th). They were middle of the pack in sacks, we were 2nd to last. Feels like an upgrade to me. They didn't generate many turnovers though, maybe that's it? I was thoroughly impressed with their toughness up front on defense, their DL absolutely whooped our OL and they played really strong against SF also.
I thought the same thing and then looked at the DVOA:

Packers were 27th

Bears were 17th

He has considerable experience as a LB coach in this system under Monte Kiffin. We can hire him, give him the DC title, but I would want Eberflus to keep calling the defense.
Packers fans hated Joe Barry and were dancing in the streets when he was shitcanned. After a really solid final 2 weeks of the season, they were terrified that Barry wasnt going to be fired.

Kind of like with the overwhelming "We gotta hire Arthur Smith!" sentiment around here, I'm surprised how little people read about other teams in the league.
Justis Mosqueda is a good follow for packers stuff (and he's funny, though sometimes at our expense). https://twitter.com/JuMosq
G08
Hall of Famer

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:43 am As long as he isn’t walked out of the building by HR he’ll be one of Eberflus most successful hires.
The day is still young 😂
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

IotaNet
MVP

According to reports, the Bears will hire Eric Washington as Defensive Coordinator

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bear ... er-report/
UOK
Site Admin

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:43 am As long as he isn’t walked out of the building by HR he’ll be one of Eberflus most successful hires.

:naughty:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I like this hire.
German Bear
Practice Squad

Sounds like a good decision. Flus can continue to call and Washington can support Flus in HC activities. Plus the great experience and the DL background.

In the past, many of the Bears' decisions could not be understood by fans or experts. This is not one of them.
Bears Fan from Würzburg, Germany
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Washington is DC in name only. He'll help coach the defense, with a lot of focus on the DL. He was hired because he's a good coach, not because of his defensive philosophy. It's Eberflus' defense.

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
G08
Hall of Famer

pus
Head Coach

:welcome:
No matter how you try to box him in, whatever realistic scenario you propose to build around him is going to include the fashion aspect(s) of Caleb's dramatic personality.
G08
Hall of Famer

As a defensive line coach from 2011-17, he led one of the most productive defensive lines in the NFL. Since 2012, no group of defensive linemen produced more sacks than Carolina’s 219, part of Carolina’s NFL-leading 280 total sacks. Carolina ranked in the top 10 in sacks in five of his seven seasons as defensive line coach, including a No. 1 ranking in 2013, a No. 2 in 2016 and a No. 3 in 2017

dplank
Hall of Famer

Perfect. Happy with this, let Flus call plays and get some extra help with the DL. Maybe his Burns connection helps us land him in FA?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:44 pm
oh baby, a girl can dream
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Thankful it is Washington and NOT Joe Barry... [Whew! Did not want the Packers cast off]
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Middleguard
MVP

In 2010, he was DL coach under Rod Marinelli as DC and Lovie as HC and the Bears were 11-5. Worth something in my eyes.
docc
Head Coach

I like the hire.. As many said, Flus will call plays but now can game plan with Washington's DL and help and advise to hopefully get more pressure, especially with a new DE added along with more fills from draft.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:20 pm I like the hire.. As many said, Flus will call plays but now can game plan with Washington's DL and help and advise to hopefully get more pressure, especially with a new DE added along with more fills from draft.
For what it's worth in 2010 when Washington was the Bears DL coach they ranked:
  • 2nd against the run (6th in ypa)
  • 17th in sacks (20th in sack percentage)
  • 19th in QB hits
  • 7th in net yards per pass attempt
  • 3rd in opponents passer rating
  • 6th in INTs (7th in INT percentage)
  • 5th in fumbles recovered
  • 3rd in turnover percentage
That team was loaded with talent of course, but if it all starts upfront then that's a nice set of numbers. The DL is obviously the weakest position group on the current team and it took the acquisition of Montez Sweat to generate some life into the pass rush although they were stout against the run. Hiring a guy who has extensive experience coaching DL, previous experience as a DC and has spent the last 4 years working for a team with one of the better defenses in the league seems like a smart move.

Obviously it's not all down to the defensive line, but here are the pass rush rankings during his time with the Bills:

• Total Pressures: 20th (23rd in percentage)
  • Sacks: 15th
  • QB Knockdowns: 15th (17th in percentage)
  • QB Hurries: 23rd (26th in percentage)
  • Total Pressures: 5th (1st in percentage)
  • Sacks: 11th
  • QB Knockdowns: 14th (9th in percentage)
  • QB Hurries: 2nd (1st in percentage)
  • Total Pressures: 13th (14th in percentage)
  • Sacks: 14th
  • QB Knockdowns: 12th (12th in percentage)
  • QB Hurries: 13th (15th in percentage)
  • Total Pressures: 10th (9th in percentage)
  • Sacks: 4th
  • QB Knockdowns: 10th (7th in percentage)
  • QB Hurries: 23rd (23rd in percentage)
Outside of that first year, which wasn't awful, that's a pretty good set of rankings.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

If Gervon Dexter takes another step next year, Washington will be able to move him all over the line. Could be a lot of fun. As for Brian Burns. That would be awesome, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
The Cooler King
Head Coach

A Bills fan I know is very disappointed to lose him.

Though in this case, this makes me wonder more about this move 🫤
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:58 pm If Gervon Dexter takes another step next year, Washington will be able to move him all over the line. Could be a lot of fun. As for Brian Burns. That would be awesome, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Signing or drafting a high quality DE2 is extremely important. If both ends of that line create pressure then Dexter is going to blossom.

It's just crazy to think we can realistically have DEs like Sweat and Burns. The cap space is there for it. It would also open up the options in the draft too.
I Take The Field With Fields

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:40 pm
UOK wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:44 pm
oh baby, a girl can dream
I'm ready to be hurt again
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Knew nothing about him. Seems like a very solid hire. Excellent teacher, which is mostly what he'll do with Flus calling plays. Former players seem to love him. Connection to Brian Burns but I doubt the Bears want to invest another $25M+ in a DE.

A bit more: he's worked under Lovie, Rivera, and Rod Marinelli so he knows Cover-2 and what Eberflus wants to run. He has improved the game of several DTs on teams he's coached and it's hoped he can do the same with Dexter.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

WHAT ABOUT PHIL SNOW??? NO UPDATES???
xyt in the discord chats
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

More good on this hiring from around the league. I'm pretty sure the Bears are going to jack up the DL more this offseason, possibly with DE at the #9 pick. Some top DEs will be available in FA although they won't come cheap. A few good DTs also going to be out there but I think the Bears see if Dexter can be the 3T, Billings is there at nose, and there will be some big boys available for drafting at nose.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:16 am
G08 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:03 pm

I thought the same thing and then looked at the DVOA:

Packers were 27th

Bears were 17th

He has considerable experience as a LB coach in this system under Monte Kiffin. We can hire him, give him the DC title, but I would want Eberflus to keep calling the defense.
Packers fans hated Joe Barry and were dancing in the streets when he was shitcanned. After a really solid final 2 weeks of the season, they were terrified that Barry wasnt going to be fired.

Kind of like with the overwhelming "We gotta hire Arthur Smith!" sentiment around here, I'm surprised how little people read about other teams in the league.
Justis Mosqueda is a good follow for packers stuff (and he's funny, though sometimes at our expense). https://twitter.com/JuMosq
Looks like Smithy boy landed in Pittsburgh with Mike Tomlin!

What a world... Bill Belichick and Mike Vrabel, meanwhile, are unemployed.

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Green Bay Packers made a change at defensive coordinator in the offseason, replacing Joe Barry with Jeff Hafley to take over a defense that was 10th in points allowed and 17th in yards allowed.

As the Packers searched for Barry’s replacement, one Packers fan decided to apply for the position without any NFL experience. Underdog Fantasy’s Dan McDermott posted on X on Sunday revealing that his cousin had applied for the job, and Packers CEO Mark Murphy responded.

"Thanks so much for your cover letter and resume regarding our Defensive Coordinator position," Murphy’s note read. "While your fantasy football experience is impressive, I regret to inform you that we have decided to go in a different direction.

"I hear the Bears have an opening - you look to be a perfect fit for them. Thanks again."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/packers- ... -jab-bears
G08
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:31 pm Knew nothing about him. Seems like a very solid hire. Excellent teacher, which is mostly what he'll do with Flus calling plays. Former players seem to love him. Connection to Brian Burns but I doubt the Bears want to invest another $25M+ in a DE.

A bit more: he's worked under Lovie, Rivera, and Rod Marinelli so he knows Cover-2 and what Eberflus wants to run. He has improved the game of several DTs on teams he's coached and it's hoped he can do the same with Dexter.
Military background, very disciplined and his attention to detail seems to be excellent. He also comes from an aggressive approach to playing defense (Rivera, McDermott) so that should be great to have in Eberflus' ear.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:25 pm
The Green Bay Packers made a change at defensive coordinator in the offseason, replacing Joe Barry with Jeff Hafley to take over a defense that was 10th in points allowed and 17th in yards allowed.

As the Packers searched for Barry’s replacement, one Packers fan decided to apply for the position without any NFL experience. Underdog Fantasy’s Dan McDermott posted on X on Sunday revealing that his cousin had applied for the job, and Packers CEO Mark Murphy responded.

"Thanks so much for your cover letter and resume regarding our Defensive Coordinator position," Murphy’s note read. "While your fantasy football experience is impressive, I regret to inform you that we have decided to go in a different direction.

"I hear the Bears have an opening - you look to be a perfect fit for them. Thanks again."

Hmmm Mark Murphy sounds like a prick.

He needs taking down a peg or three
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Okay, now that's funny.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:11 pm

Okay, now that's funny.
I agree. It would have been better if they had been talking about the OC rather than the DC.