White Sox Looking at the 78 for a New Stadium

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The team can get out of their current lease after 2029. Kevin Warren is not interested in the site, the largest undeveloped one in Chicago, for the Bears despite mass transit and river access, concentrating on Arlington and the South Parking lot at Soldiers Field:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/ ... -reinsdorf

The property is at Clark and Roosevelt, stretches to 16th Street, and has 62 undeveloped acres for the Sox. The stadium would be built beside the Chicago River and have a view to downtown. The Sox envision mixed residential and commercial development around the stadium, something which never took placed around the existing stadium.

Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

An article in the Sun Times about the project. The developer is promising great economic benefits, housing, jobs, etc. for the new site. There's talk about repurposing the existing stadium for the pro soccer team, housing, etc. It sounds like the state will be approached for public financing, which be a hard sell:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/ ... er-stadium
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

been a Sox fan my entire life ... loved old Comiskey Park and hated that the team so totally botched the replacement stadium ("new Comiskey" has always sucked)

they chose a decent spot for a new stadium effort, but the cynic in me says they will find a way to f it up
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:53 am The team can get out of their current lease after 2029. Kevin Warren is not interested in the site, the largest undeveloped one in Chicago, for the Bears despite mass transit and river access, concentrating on Arlington and the South Parking lot at Soldiers Field:

The property is at Clark and Roosevelt, stretches to 16th Street, and has 62 undeveloped acres for the Sox. The stadium would be built beside the Chicago River and have a view to downtown. The Sox envision mixed residential and commercial development around the stadium, something which never took placed around the existing stadium.

I like how one of the concepts misspelled Chicago.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:53 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:53 am The team can get out of their current lease after 2029. Kevin Warren is not interested in the site, the largest undeveloped one in Chicago, for the Bears despite mass transit and river access, concentrating on Arlington and the South Parking lot at Soldiers Field:

LOL, didn't see that, thanks.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:35 am
UOK wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:53 am

LOL, didn't see that, thanks.
It's like The Simpsons, they're just predicting the future.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Reinsdorf supposedly asked the governor for a billion loan package, to extend the hotel tax the Bears are using to pay off Soldiers Field. Lots of crickets to his request.
UOK
Site Admin

The difference is that the Bears make billions like clockwork and have NFL revenue sharing as a backup. The White Sox are the sports equivalent of Wimpy muttering, “I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.”
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:06 am Reinsdorf supposedly asked the governor for a billion loan package, to extend the hotel tax the Bears are using to pay off Soldiers Field. Lots of crickets to his request.
I caught a little of this on radio.

Bernstein, Holmes, and the audience were ripping the Sox.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

at this point in time, I say let the fuckers move to Florida as they threatened to do years ago ... I am now more sick of the White Sox organizational dysfunction than I have ever been
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin