Raiders finalizing Pierce as HC. Crosby off the table?

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/393 ... nio-pierce
DE Maxx Crosby said he’d consider asking for a trade if Pierce was not made head coach. The Raiders ARE keeping Pierce, so Crosby is probably staying put.
Last edited by alexwilkins on Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:51 pm https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/393 ... nio-pierce
DE Max Crosby said he’d consider asking for a trade if Pierce was not made head coach. The Raiders ARE keeping Pierce, so Crosby is probably staying put.
Depends on how bad they want the #1 pick if it's bartered off.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:51 pm https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/393 ... nio-pierce
DE Maxx Crosby said he’d consider asking for a trade if Pierce was not made head coach. The Raiders ARE keeping Pierce, so Crosby is probably staying put.
Unless they trade him.
I Take The Field With Fields

spudbear
MVP

Yeah, I doubt Crosby is going anywhere else. What this looks like is the players got together and made it known to management they wanted Pierce back. Crosby happened to be the public face for that. It doesn't make sense that they would announce the HC before finalizing who their GM will be. Almost Bears like ...
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:40 am Yeah, I doubt Crosby is going anywhere else. What this looks like is the players got together and made it known to management they wanted Pierce back. Crosby happened to be the public face for that. It doesn't make sense that they would announce the HC before finalizing who their GM will be. Almost Bears like ...
GMs don't like that situation but someone will still take the job. Teams will look at the Panthers as a cautionary tale. Not only did they trade an All-Pro caliber WR to the Bears as part of the deal for #1, earlier in the year they traded McCaffrey to the 49ers. Young essentially had no weapons (shades of Justin Fields). Crosby obviously isn't an offensive weapon but a strong D is needed also and Pierce might veto such any such deal trading him away. There is talk of the Raiders trading Devontae Adams but this, also, would limit any new QB's weapons.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:52 am
spudbear wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:40 am Yeah, I doubt Crosby is going anywhere else. What this looks like is the players got together and made it known to management they wanted Pierce back. Crosby happened to be the public face for that. It doesn't make sense that they would announce the HC before finalizing who their GM will be. Almost Bears like ...
GMs don't like that situation but someone will still take the job. Teams will look at the Panthers as a cautionary tale. Not only did they trade an All-Pro caliber WR to the Bears as part of the deal for #1, earlier in the year they traded McCaffrey to the 49ers. Young essentially had no weapons (shades of Justin Fields). Crosby obviously isn't an offensive weapon but a strong D is needed also and Pierce might veto such any such deal trading him away. There is talk of the Raiders trading Devontae Adams but this, also, would limit any new QB's weapons.
The Panthers are only a cautionary tale because Tepper is an idiot and refused to listen to his HC about what QB to draft. Then he fired said HC to cover his own ass for flubbing the pick. Stroud did more than fine with limited weapons and a patchwork OL.

There isn't a GM in the NFL that thinks "Carolina messed it up, I probably will too".