NFL Head Coaching Carousel

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:44 am
spudbear wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:29 amI think he'll end up in the studio, write some books and go on a speaking tour. Long hours as HC has to take its toll, and he compounded it by being GM too.
I can see Andy Reid saying enough as well, particularly if the Chiefs win it all again this year. He'd be a good addition for an NFL show. At the very least they could have a tray of nuggies out and he could start reaching for them. His spot on the show would be "Andy's Nuggies" where he would give nuggets of football wisdom.
Would be a great sponsorship tie-in with McDonald's or whoever if they could have him eating nuggets at the same time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LacertineForest
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:27 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:44 am

Would be a great sponsorship tie-in with McDonald's or whoever if they could have him eating nuggets at the same time!
Excellent
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

In a non-scientific Chicago Sun Times poll of a bit over 1900 readers, they were asked who would be getting their teams to a playoffs first, Harbaugh or Eberflus. Harbaugh got 62.3%, Eberflus got 32.9%, and 4.8% said neither. One voter said both teams would make it next year.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:30 pm In a non-scientific Chicago Sun Times poll of a bit over 1900 readers, they were asked who would be getting their teams to a playoffs first, Harbaugh or Eberflus. Harbaugh got 62.3%, Eberflus got 32.9%, and 4.8% said neither. One voter said both teams would make it next year.
LOL, one
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:59 am
Grizzled wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:30 pm In a non-scientific Chicago Sun Times poll of a bit over 1900 readers, they were asked who would be getting their teams to a playoffs first, Harbaugh or Eberflus. Harbaugh got 62.3%, Eberflus got 32.9%, and 4.8% said neither. One voter said both teams would make it next year.
LOL, one
Sorry, I had taken 2 gummies and was chilling in the hot tub when I answered the phone.
pus
Head Coach

:o :rofl: :rofl: :toast:
No matter how you try to box him in, whatever realistic scenario you propose to build around him is going to include the fashion aspect(s) of Caleb's dramatic personality.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Ben Johnson staying with the Lions. Wants to run back in hopes of winning the SB.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:41 pm Ben Johnson staying with the Lions. Wants to run back in hopes of winning the SB.
God, that is fucking huge for Detroit.

Also *COUGH* gives us another shot *cough* at him *COUGH* next year.
wab
Mod

Sounds like maybe he overestimated himself.

Dan Quinn looks like he's going to be the Seahawks guy.

That leaves Washington as the last team standing. Mike Macdonald is likely to be their hire. Really surprised Bieniemy didn't get more than a passing look there.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

might just be wishful thinking for them, but a couple reputable NFC East talking heads were discussing Belichick to the Commanders ... and they made a nice compelling argument as to why it would make sense ... new owner, fresh start, and perhaps the "Patriots Way" may not be a bad thing to implement to help Washington re-brand
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I suppose it's possible, but "The Patriot Way" also has a few stains on it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

however stained the "Patriots Way" may be, it is pristine in comparison to what the Washington Way had become
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I think Bill should retire, but if anyone hires him Washington makes a ton of sense. They need a culture reset bad and he can do that. Set things up for the next guy to takeover. Kinda like the Bears with Fox but on a much larger scale.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm honestly kind of surprised Ben Johnson took his name out of contention for the Commanders. We'll never really know what happened, but man there's a lot to like about that team, they're a qb away imo from being pretty legit and they've got the #2 pick... and 2 high second round picks, AND 2 3rd round picks.

Maybe the new owner is a doofus too, who knows.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:03 am I'm honestly kind of surprised Ben Johnson took his name out of contention for the Commanders. We'll never really know what happened, but man there's a lot to like about that team, they're a qb away imo from being pretty legit and they've got the #2 pick... and 2 high second round picks, AND 2 3rd round picks.

Really? Besides the #2 pick they don't have too much imo. What makes you like them? I don't really follow the Commanders but do occasionally talk to a few fans who are pretty down on the team. I see them at best as 3rd in their division and a probable top 5 pick.
wab
Mod

Looks like Seattle is planning to hire Macdonald.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bobby Slowik is returning to Houston as their OC; apparently he got a significant raise and maybe just didn't like the teams wanting to interview him. Seatlle's expected new coach, Mike McDonald, is half of Pete Carroll's age, 36 to Pete's 72.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:45 pm
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:03 am I'm honestly kind of surprised Ben Johnson took his name out of contention for the Commanders. We'll never really know what happened, but man there's a lot to like about that team, they're a qb away imo from being pretty legit and they've got the #2 pick... and 2 high second round picks, AND 2 3rd round picks.

Really? Besides the #2 pick they don't have too much imo. What makes you like them? I don't really follow the Commanders but do occasionally talk to a few fans who are pretty down on the team. I see them at best as 3rd in their division and a probable top 5 pick.
I get that a lot of people are down on them, but they've got a couple of DUDES, and more and more, as I get older, for a team to win, it needs DUDES. And DUDES are way harder to find.

Mclaurin and Allen/Payne are DUDES imo, and Dotson/Robinson/Thomas I really like as well. They are set at the offensive skill positions, and that's not something to sneeze at. There's enough pieces on that roster that a good coach could turn it around really quickly.

Part of this is I kind of hate Chico, both as a coach and a DC.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:41 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:45 pm

I get that a lot of people are down on them, but they've got a couple of DUDES, and more and more, as I get older, for a team to win, it needs DUDES. And DUDES are way harder to find.

Mclaurin and Allen/Payne are DUDES imo, and Dotson/Robinson/Thomas I really like as well. They are set at the offensive skill positions, and that's not something to sneeze at. There's enough pieces on that roster that a good coach could turn it around really quickly.

Part of this is I kind of hate Chico, both as a coach and a DC.
I do like McLaurin and Allen and Payne. And I do hate me some Chico as well. That franchise just feels like this is rock bottom and now they need to start climbing out. Now that Snyder is gone, I'm hoping they can turn it around. That dude was just so toxic he ruined everything for Washington.
wab
Mod

I’m not totally convinced that the Commanders won’t go the veteran route and trade down.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:19 pm I’m not totally convinced that the Commanders won’t go the veteran route and trade down.
Maybe they'll bring Kirk Cousins and his surgically repaired Achilles tendon back to DC. {Insert TMP's "time is a flat circle" link here.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

pretty hard to hazard a guess until they hire a coach. Dan Quinn seems like the conservative type enough to go that extremely lame route.
wab
Mod

Four defensive coaches hired compared to three offensive guys (although Harbaugh is both). One opening left.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Harbaugh has hired Greg Roman to be his OC. Justin Herbert isn't exactly the type of QB I associate with Roman's strong successes with Kapernick, Tyrod Taylor, and Lamar. Should be ... interesting ....
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:13 am Harbaugh has hired Greg Roman to be his OC. Justin Herbert isn't exactly the type of QB I associate with Roman's strong successes with Kapernick, Tyrod Taylor, and Lamar. Should be ... interesting ....
I saw that... although Herbert might be the first (and best) actual passing QB that Roman as had an opportunity to work with since Alex Smith in 2011.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Andy Reid, Chiefs to open talks on extension; Reid expected to become NFL's highest-paid head coach

Coming off back-to-back Super Bowl wins, the Chiefs and Andy Reid are expected to begin negotiations in the coming weeks on a new contract that NFL sources believe should soon make Reid the highest-paid coach in football.

General manager Brett Veach is also in line for a new deal, replacing the final two years on the contracts the duo signed following the 2019 season after the Chiefs' win in Super Bowl LIV.

Reid is believed to rank roughly eighth among head coaches in average annual value on his contract -- and third in the AFC West after the big-money additions in the past two years of Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh, respectively. Veach, 46, is believed to be one of the NFL's lowest-paid GMs.

Coach and GM contracts aren't public record like player contracts, so tracking them can be tricky. But sources say a half-dozen NFL coaches are believed to be making $15 million or more per year, even after the dismissals of Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll this offseason. And it's fair to say the Chiefs' lack of new deals -- and raises -- for Reid and Veach after last year's title was an anomaly in the modern NFL, raising some eyebrows around the league.

Since that third Super Bowl win a couple of weeks ago, the Chiefs have signed defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo to a new three-year contract that puts him among the NFL's highest-paid at the position and extended the contract of special teams coordinator Dave Toub.

Now, it's Reid and Veach's turn, with new deals potentially done by next month's Annual League Meeting (March 24-27).

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/andy-reid-chie ... head-coach