Honest answers: Would you be more open-minded about Drake Maye if he wasn't #10 from North Carolina?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

I feel like there's been almost no discussion as to whether or not Maye is even going to be a possibility at 1 (or 2/3 with a trade). The conversation has been exclusively Fields vs. Williams.

I personally feel that the reason, and almost exclusively, is because Drake Maye wears #10 for North Carolina.

Your thoughts?

Also, it would be hilarious if they drafted Maye and they won a title. The Bears Prophecy of Ryan & Matt drafting a North Carolina QB with a top 3 pick was maybe just a bit misread by the seers.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I mean. I think we're a little gunshy abvout taking another QB from NC. I know I am. Your last point is hilarious. Ryan, Matt, and #10 from NC win a title. No...not them...the other guys.

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

it's a great question, as i've wondered this myself. I dont think it's 100 percent conscious, more like a generational trauma kind of situation. I like Drake Maye a lot, and everytime I see people bring up McCarthy as an option this theory is what my brain defaults to.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

So I’m actually intrigued by the whole M Brane Theory of having a GM named Ryan, a HC named Matt and a QB from UNC again. I did not realize that Maye is also #10.

To me, this is the path we should do if we move on JF1.

It all goes back to some kind of M Brane or Simulation Theory where maybe I’m paying for the sins of past lives over and over again or the Master Programmer over us all has an awesome sense of humor and is just giving us this giant middle finger.

So yeah from a cosmology standpoint, I’m all in on Drake Maye.

This is also why I’m evangelizing about True Detective around here.

I Take The Field With Fields

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

There are some smart people around here with statistics.

What are the odds of having a GM named Ryan, a HC named Matt and a QB from UNC who is also #10 in two consecutive regimes?

I would have better odds of observing Bigfoot riding a unicorn in the forest the next time I go fishing right?

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

100%.

I just started lightly watching the QBs. Maye is really good. His arm is pretty high level. Hes pretty good in the pocket. There is a lot of tools. Then I see his uniform and I begin questioning everything.
spudbear
MVP

No, not really. The ghost of Mitch still lingers, but it's a general question about the NFL-ability of QB's from the ACC and their propensity to win championships. Just off the top of your head, can you think of any recent QB's from the ACC that have had good success in the NFL? Watson? Russell Wilson? Well, he played a year at NC State before transferring to Wisconsin. The ACC keeps trying hard to be a major conference for football but stays behind the SEC, Big 10 and maybe even the Pac 10.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:35 am So I’m actually intrigued by the whole M Brane Theory of having a GM named Ryan, a HC named Matt and a QB from UNC again. I did not realize that Maye is also #10.

It all goes back to some kind of M Brane or Simulation Theory where maybe I’m paying for the sins of past lives over and over again or the Master Programmer over us all has an awesome sense of humor and is just giving us this giant middle finger.

Episode 2 of this season sucked IMO.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

It’s never even crossed my mind.
I don’t mind Drake Maye and to be honest, if we’re moving from JF1, Maye is sufficiently different from him for it to make sense.
Caleb is very similar to Fields but shorter and not as athletic. He does have a rapid release though.

Maye looks more like a Brady/Rogers type QB to me.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I file this under... QBs from Ohio State can't be any good. Every individual is different.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I like Maye a lot and think he'll have the best rookie season (if all of the rookies play from day 1).

Longer highlight video...I haven't watched full game videos yet, but what stands out so far:
-Elite pocket awareness...slides very well to allow windows to open
-Above average accuracy...Gives his players a chance at the ball even when running/play is breaking down/taking a hit
-Adequate scrambling (for the NFL level...many of those lanes/angles will close much quicker for him in NFL)
-Play concept understanding...Exaggerates play fakes to open passing windows
-Good arm strength...though some throws in NFL will not get there in time,
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
dplank
Hall of Famer

JMO, but the jersey doesn't matter to me at all. It's just the "meh" aspect of him. We already have a middling QB in house who is just 24 and has the talent to rise into the upper tier. I'm just not replacing that unless there's a damn good reason, someone with insane upside that could alter the entire franchise. The only guy that fits that bill is Caleb Williams.

I'm ok taking Williams. I'm ok sticking with Fields. I'm ok trading down and still drafting a QB later on in the draft. I'm not ok spending the #1 pick on anything other than a total rock star - at that point just trade down.
Z Bear
MVP

Maye seemed to get worse as his career went on. Look at his 2022 stats, then break down his 2023 into the first and second half seasons. Aside from a blowout of the Cambell Camels his 2nd half of 2023 was not too pretty.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:35 am So I’m actually intrigued by the whole M Brane Theory of having a GM named Ryan, a HC named Matt and a QB from UNC again. I did not realize that Maye is also #10.

And of course the trifecta of coach Matt getting fired and #10 drafted put of Carolina getting hitched to a new coach who didn't want him, lol. I'm definitely going to need some Flat Circle meme ready after next season.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Kylo Bearen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:07 am

And of course the trifecta of coach Matt getting fired and #10 drafted put of Carolina getting hitched to a new coach who didn't want him, lol. I'm definitely going to need some Flat Circle meme ready after next season.
Would this make Soldier Field Carcosa?

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Helmet scouting is A Thing. It's an unconscious bias (sometimes a conscious one, in fact) that one needs to be aware of and actively try to overcome.

I do think Maye was better last year than this one, like @Z Bear says. To be fair, he did lose his top 2 receivers from 2022 (and IIRC, Dez Walker's ineligibility early on meant Walker couldn't even practice with the team until the NCAA reversed their decision in October), so that probably impacted things.
UOK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:46 am Also, it would be hilarious if they drafted Maye and they won a title. The Bears Prophecy of Ryan & Matt drafting a North Carolina QB with a top 3 pick was maybe just a bit misread by the seers.
:rofl: :toast:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'd be more convinced if he had a 3rd year of starting.

I'm sure some people are shying away from NC10.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that was the first thing that popped into my head - Trubisky 2.0 ... but that wouldn't be the deciding factor on whether or not to draft him I wouldn't think unless Poles simply doesn't want to test if there is any bad juju left from the Trubisky experience
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

If the Bears dropped back to 2 or 3 and took May, I don't think it would bother me at all. He's really good. But if the Bears are looking at a QB and they stay at #1, it has to be Williams I think.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Williams = Mahomes
Maye = Herbert/Allen
Daniels= Lamar/Randal Cunningham

according to the hype machine, which is gearing up into overdrive.
Last edited by Grizzled on Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I'll be open minded about any QB wearing the Bears jersey.

But if it's another NC QB there will always be the nagging feeling of this is all going to fail.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:11 pm I'll be open minded about any QB wearing the Bears jersey.

But if it's another NC QB there will always be the nagging feeling of this is all going to fail.
We are almost setup to fail either way aren’t we?

We draft Maye and he will suck. Matt Eberflus knows what to do with a rookie QB like I know how to spend time with my mother-in-law.

We don’t draft Maye. He goes someplace and lights it up. We are then perma-trolled watching a UNC QB #10 win a Super Bowl and get into the HOF.

It’s moments like these that make rooting for this team truly worthwhile.

Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

UOK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:46 am I feel like there's been almost no discussion as to whether or not Maye is even going to be a possibility at 1 (or 2/3 with a trade). The conversation has been exclusively Fields vs. Williams.

I personally feel that the reason, and almost exclusively, is because Drake Maye wears #10 for North Carolina.

Your thoughts?

Also, it would be hilarious if they drafted Maye and they won a title. The Bears Prophecy of Ryan & Matt drafting a North Carolina QB with a top 3 pick was maybe just a bit misread by the seers.
No.

Because I don't care where a player is from in the first place. I care about what they can do against ranked talent.

Maye is someone who spends a lot of his time looking the part, but then 8-10 times a game will randomly throw the ball in some weird ass part of the field where none of his guys are. If it were 1-3 times I could chalk it up to a miscommunication. But THAT many times? That's what scared me away from Maye...
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

I fully acknowledge and admit I have PTSD about drafting another QB from North Carolina and that is the primary reason I barely watch Maye film or read about him. I know he has 2 full productive seasons starting at UNC whereas Trubisky just had the 1 flash in a pan season. I'm just not ready for that possibility and my prejudice against Maye is unfair. But, it is what it is.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

UOK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:46 am I feel like there's been almost no discussion as to whether or not Maye is even going to be a possibility at 1 (or 2/3 with a trade). The conversation has been exclusively Fields vs. Williams.

Your thoughts?

It’s not just Bears fans that are not putting him in consideration for the number one pick though, it’s all of the top draft analysts too.

He has issues with adjusting his pre-snap reads, will force throws, and will sometimes run into sacks, and he’s obviously not a super athlete. So I don’t see how an evaluator can have confidence he would be an upgrade over Fields. He doesn’t really do anything better than Fields did in college.

I am not sold on Caleb Williams but one thing you can see on tape is that his release is lighting quick, so you can see how they could envision building on that.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:22 pm

Your thoughts?

He doesn’t really do anything better than Fields did in college.
Nothing???

Yeah...I'm going to have to disagree with that.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/drak ... ting-2024/
Maye is a measured, precise, and instinctive passer who can test defenses in the intermediate and deep ranges. He’s better than Williams at maintaining pocket discipline, staying on rhythm, and taking what’s given in the short range, and he can carve defenses apart in the intermediate range with his anticipatory high-velocity javelins.

In fact, one of Maye’s most exciting traits is his actionable field vision and anticipation. He identifies leverage advantages in coverages instantly, and he can capitalize just as quickly.

Maye actively uses his eyes to freeze DBs, has an understanding of how to open the field at his will, and has the rocket arm to take advantage. And he can also multitask and manage space in the pocket while processing the field.

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:20 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:22 pm

He doesn’t really do anything better than Fields did in college.
Nothing???

Maye is a measured, precise, and instinctive passer who can test defenses in the intermediate and deep ranges. He’s better than Williams at maintaining pocket discipline, staying on rhythm, and taking what’s given in the short range, and he can carve defenses apart in the intermediate range with his anticipatory high-velocity javelins.

In fact, one of Maye’s most exciting traits is his actionable field vision and anticipation. He identifies leverage advantages in coverages instantly, and he can capitalize just as quickly.

Maye actively uses his eyes to freeze DBs, has an understanding of how to open the field at his will, and has the rocket arm to take advantage. And he can also multitask and manage space in the pocket while processing the field.
Here’s what they said about Fields:

Big-armed passer with the ability to make all the throws. Patient in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and takes the safe underneath outlet if nothing else is available. Sells ball fakes, remains poised under the rush, and buys as much time as necessary for receivers. Elusive, keeps plays alive, and easily gets outside the box to elude pass rushers and make the throw on the move.

Possesses a next-level arm, puts speed on all his throws, and loses nothing passing on the move. Displays a sense of timing, drives the deep throw, and delivers some outstanding long passes. Throws the ball 50+ yards with speed and spin, perfectly placing it in the receiver’s hands. Legitimate threat running the ball, showing the ability to pick up yardage with his legs. Tough and plays while injured.

Kind of similar.

Honestly, if Caleb Williams was 6’3 230 like Fields there wouldn’t even be any grounds for an argument.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I don't care about Maye's school. I care about if he is football Jesus or not, and everyone has been on board with Williams being potentially football Jesus and Maye is just the next guy up in the draft. To me, you take Williams, or you take a whole lot of first round picks in a trade and keep Fields. Taking Maye would be the most disappointing outcome for me and it's got nothing to do with Trubisky.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

KOP_Snake wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:41 am I don't care about Maye's school. I care about if he is football Jesus or not, and everyone has been on board with Williams being potentially football Jesus and Maye is just the next guy up in the draft. To me, you take Williams, or you take a whole lot of first round picks in a trade and keep Fields. Taking Maye would be the most disappointing outcome for me and it's got nothing to do with Trubisky.
Would really depend on what the trade down and Fields trades Net for me
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:24 pm
Moriarty wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:20 pm

Nothing???

Here’s what they said about Fields:

Big-armed passer with the ability to make all the throws. Patient in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and takes the safe underneath outlet if nothing else is available. Sells ball fakes, remains poised under the rush, and buys as much time as necessary for receivers. Elusive, keeps plays alive, and easily gets outside the box to elude pass rushers and make the throw on the move.

Possesses a next-level arm, puts speed on all his throws, and loses nothing passing on the move. Displays a sense of timing, drives the deep throw, and delivers some outstanding long passes. Throws the ball 50+ yards with speed and spin, perfectly placing it in the receiver’s hands. Legitimate threat running the ball, showing the ability to pick up yardage with his legs. Tough and plays while injured.

Kind of similar.
Well, it is somewhat similar if you go by that particular review. But don't you have trouble not convulsing with laughter at some of their evaulations?

Let's take out all things that everyone has no trouble agreeing with - strong arm, athletic & elusive, makes plays off-schedule, tough.
That leaves
Patient in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and takes the safe underneath outlet if nothing else is available. Sells ball fakes, remains poised under the rush, and buys as much time as necessary for receivers.

Displays a sense of timing

Either by coincidence or by careful cherry-picking of your example review, the major points here are nearly all radically at odds with both what we've seen at the pro level and with what other evaluators had to say in their college reviews

-------------------------------------------------

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-fi ... 3127e80752

Below-average feel for edge pressure
Missed open blitz beaters in the middle of the field
Gradual operation time prevents expedited release
Needs to release ball earlier on anticipatory throws
Needs to improve eye manipulation as a pro
Stagnant eyes invite coverage to the passing party

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepo ... fields.php

Weaknesses:
Poor pocket awareness
Can get rattled by the pass rush
Can freeze when seeing the blitz
Must get better at passing in the face of the rush
Blitz recognition needs work
Needs to check the ball down more
Field vision needs development
Needs to get quicker working through progressions

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jus ... -OhioState
Has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long and stare down receivers
Not consistent at finding the second and third options once the top read is unavailable

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-repo ... ing-report
Slow reader of the field
Occasionally panicked under pressure
Needs to work on pre-snap reads, especially with identifying blitzes

ineffectiveness in the mental aspect of the game
generally only had a single read on a play and rarely had to make full-field reads
had a lot of trouble picking up blitzes and calling the correct checks at the line

-------------------------------------------------

If you go with the majority opinion (which has been proven correct, so kinda hard to argue), then those areas (anticipation, vision, calm/disciplined in the pocket, keeping eyes downfield, progress through progressions) aren't at all similar to Maye.