Free Agent Wish List

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Free agency doesn't start until March. But now is kind of like kids making their Xmas lists before the big day. List one guy you want the Bears to sign. Mine would be Tyler Biadsz, center, Dallas Cowboys. Played at Wisconsin, which grows linemen. Drafted in 2020, 4th round pick (I wanted the Bears to take him then). 26 years old. Gave up 3 sacks and committed 3 penalties in 2023. Missed 1 game in each of 3 seasons and 0 games in 1 season. Plus he's a local buy and Poles seems to like that. Cowboys are $19M over the cap, Cee Dee Lamb and Dak contracts will need addressing after the '24 season.
Last edited by Grizzled on Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I go A. Winfield
wab
Mod

Evan Brown is a name to keep an eye on at center. Ties to Waldron in Seattle and played very well for the Lions in 2022.

Noah Fant would be a nice complement to Kmet too.

Other players I'd be interested in:

OL: The Bears need, at the very least, a veteran center. They could also use someone to push/eventually replace Nate Davis, but that guy is probably coming out of the draft.

Mitch Morse - not technically a FA, but he's expected to be released and Poles knows him from KC, good bridge to a rookie.
David Edwards - can play guard or tackle, good depth piece but started for the Rams
Damien Lewis - not really a wish list guy per se, but a brute of a LG that has familiarity with Waldron, would be crazy to pair him with Jenkins

EDGE: I don't see Poles dumping a ton of FA money into another premier DE, so I focused on the tier two guys.

Dorrance Armstrong - very productive in the past, now buried in Dallas behind Parsons.
K’Lavon Chaisson - former R1 pick, is a little undersized, got caught up in a scheme change
Yetur Gross-Matos - another guy that got caught up in a scheme change, has a ton of potential
A.J. Epenesa - was a fan of his in the draft, he has come on late for the Bills so I could see them wanting to keep him
Darrell Taylor - has played mostly OLB so for, but he's built like a traditional DE
Marcus Davenport - signed a one year "prove it" deal to play OLB and he didn't prove it at all, was a much better DE

WR: I think WR2 will be a draft pick, but they are still going to need at least one veteran. I'm not counting Mooney out, but it's unlikely he returns.

Quez Watkins - he's like Tyler Scott, but he can catch.
K.J. Osborn - might be sneaky expensive but had a really nice year as WR2/3 for the Vikings, perfect slot WR type, averaged over 11 yards per catch.
Van Jefferson - former Ram, knows the offense, possession type with speed
Parris Campbell - loads of untapped potential, played with Fields at Ohio State

Safety: I feel like this guy is either already on the roster or will come from the draft - assuming they part ways with Eddie.

Antoine Winfield Jr. - if they want to drop some cash on the position, this would be the big tuna
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - He's a butthole, but he's good
Xavier McKinney - really liked him in the draft, and honestly expected him to get picked by the Bears
Terrell Edmunds - fringe starter that was way overdrafted, be cool to see him play on the same team as his brother
Taylor Rapp - hasn't put it together yet, but he's got potential
Ashtyn Davis - got moved all over by the Jets so he never really settled in to one position
dplank
Hall of Famer

Good work here wab, gives me some names to go check out as I don't know all these guys.

One thing I see a little differently is DE. Poles is a value guy with an eye on supply vs demand. Everything I've heard (if actually true) about this year FA and draft class is that there will be a couple really good FA DE's available and that the top end DE talent in this draft is pretty dire. So I can see him looking at that and doing his Poles thing, which would be to plug the hole in FA, freeing himself up to draft BPA/value in the draft and not force himself to overdraft a DE.

Adding Hunter to this unit would be an epic coup and set us up for a dominant defense in 2024 IMO.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

You asked for one name so I'll agree with those promoting Danielle Hunter. A little on the older side but 16.5 sacks tell me he's not done yet. I feel like he'd fill the one big hole in the defense while also weakening a division opponent.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:15 am Evan Brown is a name to keep an eye on at center. Ties to Waldron in Seattle and played very well for the Lions in 2022.

Noah Fant would be a nice complement to Kmet too.

Other players I'd be interested in:

OL: The Bears need, at the very least, a veteran center. They could also use someone to push/eventually replace Nate Davis, but that guy is probably coming out of the draft.

Mitch Morse - not technically a FA, but he's expected to be released and Poles knows him from KC, good bridge to a rookie.
David Edwards - can play guard or tackle, good depth piece but started for the Rams
Damien Lewis - not really a wish list guy per se, but a brute of a LG that has familiarity with Waldron, would be crazy to pair him with Jenkins

EDGE: I don't see Poles dumping a ton of FA money into another premier DE, so I focused on the tier two guys.

Dorrance Armstrong - very productive in the past, now buried in Dallas behind Parsons.
K’Lavon Chaisson - former R1 pick, is a little undersized, got caught up in a scheme change
Yetur Gross-Matos - another guy that got caught up in a scheme change, has a ton of potential
A.J. Epenesa - was a fan of his in the draft, he has come on late for the Bills so I could see them wanting to keep him
Darrell Taylor - has played mostly OLB so for, but he's built like a traditional DE
Marcus Davenport - signed a one year "prove it" deal to play OLB and he didn't prove it at all, was a much better DE

WR: I think WR2 will be a draft pick, but they are still going to need at least one veteran. I'm not counting Mooney out, but it's unlikely he returns.

Quez Watkins - he's like Tyler Scott, but he can catch.
K.J. Osborn - might be sneaky expensive but had a really nice year as WR2/3 for the Vikings, perfect slot WR type, averaged over 11 yards per catch.
Van Jefferson - former Ram, knows the offense, possession type with speed
Parris Campbell - loads of untapped potential, played with Fields at Ohio State

Safety: I feel like this guy is either already on the roster or will come from the draft - assuming they part ways with Eddie.

Antoine Winfield Jr. - if they want to drop some cash on the position, this would be the big tuna
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - He's a butthole, but he's good
Xavier McKinney - really liked him in the draft, and honestly expected him to get picked by the Bears
Terrell Edmunds - fringe starter that was way overdrafted, be cool to see him play on the same team as his brother
Taylor Rapp - hasn't put it together yet, but he's got potential
Ashtyn Davis - got moved all over by the Jets so he never really settled in to one position

Van Jefferson is on my list too - Shouldn't break the bank but he's a professional WR

I think his Dad is a WR Coach
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Starting unexciting:

Stopgap or veteran mentor FS:
Terrell Edmunds
Tashaun Gipson
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
LacertineForest
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:54 am Starting unexciting:

Terrell Edmunds
Tashaun Gipson
Let's go with Edmunds so we can have Terrell Edmunds, T.J. Edwards, and Trumaine Edmunds all on the starting defense and confuse the shit out of announcers and Chet from Oak Park, alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:13 pm

Terrell Edmunds
Tashaun Gipson
Let's go with Edmunds so we can have Terrell Edmunds, T.J. Edwards, and Trumaine Edmunds all on the starting defense and confuse the shit out of announcers and Chet from Oak Park, alike.
HEY BERNSIE YOU HOW WE GOT DOSE TO GREAT BACKERS WIT EDMUNDS AND EDWARDS??

LETS STICK WITH DAT AND SIGN THE ODDUH EDMUNDS!!! TERRY EDMUNDS!!!

DEN WUT WERE GONNA DO IS TRADE JESSIE FEELS TO KAY CEE FOR MAHOMES AND DEY WILL LUV IT CAUSE DEYRE PAYIN MAHOMES ALL DAT MONEY!!!! JESSIE FEELS IS ON HIS ROOKEY DEAL!

DEN WIT THE 1 PICK WE SHOULD EDDER TAYKR VAN PRAN FROM GEORGIA OR MHJ! WHOEVAH HAS DE BETTAH COMBYNE!!!!

BEAR DOWN!
I Take The Field With Fields

LacertineForest
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:33 pm

HEY BERNSIE YOU HOW WE GOT DOSE TO GREAT BACKERS WIT EDMUNDS AND EDWARDS??

LETS STICK WITH DAT AND SIGN THE ODDUH EDMUNDS!!! TERRY EDMUNDS!!!

DEN WUT WERE GONNA DO IS TRADE JESSIE FEELS TO KAY CEE FOR MAHOMES AND DEY WILL LUV IT CAUSE DEYRE PAYIN MAHOMES ALL DAT MONEY!!!! JESSIE FEELS IS ON HIS ROOKEY DEAL!

DEN WIT THE 1 PICK WE SHOULD EDDER TAYKR VAN PRAN FROM GEORGIA OR MHJ! WHOEVAH HAS DE BETTAH COMBYNE!!!!

BEAR DOWN!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

IMO the Bears still have enough money that Poles can cross off a need with a big FA signing. I would look to support my young QB with a star C or another pricey pass catcher. There are never really WRs available and there are barely good TEs in the league so why not go C? There are great options available depending on what Waldron and Morgan want at the position.

Connor Williams
Andre James
Aaron Brewer

There could very well be an EDGE or 3T that hit the market and while I wouldn't blame Poles for taking advantage of it, I would be annoyed that the Bears would be again in the pattern of spending 75% of their money on D. The whole draft would have to be O at that point

Good ideas in this thread for sensible signings -
Evan Brown makes sense as the new Lucas Patrick if the Bears don't decide to spend big on C
Noah Fant would get overpaid but that's the market atm
Van Jefferson would be addition to the WR room that should have some young speedsters who need to learn the ropes
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:47 pm Good ideas in this thread for sensible signings -
Evan Brown makes sense as the new Lucas Patrick if the Bears don't decide to spend big on C
Noah Fant would get overpaid but that's the market atm
Van Jefferson would be addition to the WR room that should have some young speedsters who need to learn the ropes
This is pretty much where I'm at, with maybe a tier two DE thrown in.

Then you can go a number of different ways in the draft. WR/Edge/young center/OG/DB/LB/speedster RB/maybe a QB
Z Bear
MVP

This dude has about the same personality as Akeem Hicks, the D needs some moxy and this is my dude. Him next to Sweat is nightmares for OCs everywhere.

wab
Mod

I don't think dropping big money on a 3T when Dexter is (seemingly) starting to ascend is the right call, but who knows.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am very much warming up to the Mitch Morse idea - and drafting the Georgia kid (*)

(*) I think this would also make me happier if we wound up with the Duke kid as well - Biggest knock on him to me is his lack of Center experience - but letting him sit a year or even play some Guard as a Rookie- while learning the system and calls- Would be a boon to his development
wab
Mod

Another thing to consider...if the Bears do trade Fields, they are going to need a backup QB with more experience than Bagent. Williams/Bagent is a risky depth chart.

Looking at QB's Waldron has worked with, there's a few that they could look at as a backup to Williams. Sean Mannion is still floating around out there. John Woolford makes some sense.

Drew Lock is probably my 1st choice and has the most recent experience.

There's also the Kirk Cousins angle...
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:04 pm Another thing to consider...if the Bears do trade Fields, they are going to need a backup QB with more experience than Bagent. Williams/Bagent is a risky depth chart.

Looking at QB's Waldron has worked with, there's a few that they could look at as a backup to Williams. Sean Mannion is still floating around out there. John Woolford makes some sense.

Cousins would be a good get if he's willing to understand the situation and take a 1-2 year deal.

But because QBs play until they're 50 now, he'll surely get a 3-5 year offer from some dumbass franchise.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Terrell Edmunds
Tashaun Gipson
:lol: :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm very much in the Evan Brown camp, too, @wab. To me he makes the most sense and would be high on my list, unless Morse is indeed a cap cut and wants to sign a 2 year $18M deal, in which case, come on down, Mitch.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Let's also not forget Chase Young
peligr_Oso
Rookie

they should target Bryce Huff
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:18 pm Let's also not forget Chase Young
Content mills keep lazily predicting this, but I dont feel like I've read anything complimentary at all about him on the 49ers, and when I do catch bits it's been complaints that he's a liability against the run. I dont really anticipate him being a target for this regime.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:06 pm
wab wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:04 pm Another thing to consider...if the Bears do trade Fields, they are going to need a backup QB with more experience than Bagent. Williams/Bagent is a risky depth chart.

Cousins would be a good get if he's willing to understand the situation and take a 1-2 year deal.

But because QBs play until they're 50 now, he'll surely get a 3-5 year offer from some dumbass franchise.
Um, isn't a big part of the argument in favour of drafting Williams and moving on from Fields the whole "resetting the QB clock" in order to save all the astronomical money QBs earn these days from their second contract?

How much is Cousins going to get paid for a couple of years? Between him and the $10m APY Williams would get as the number one pick there wouldn't be any saving to be had at all, on the contrary it would surely work out much more expensive than simply sticking with Fields and having Bagent as the backup.

Then there's the fact that Cousins, even with all his experience, would still have to learn the new offense being run by an OC he's never worked with before and so will necessarily have to be the team's focus and get the majority of the first team reps. I hate this idea of bringing in a stop-gap to somehow replicate the Mahomes/Love journey. It's not going to work without having a veteran QB who's been with the team in previous seasons and knows the team and the offense inside-out. I absolutely do not want to go down the Glennon/Dalton route again.
docc
Head Coach

Somehow I don't imagine Williams and Bagent to be our QBs..both quite inexperienced. Just seems a 2 or more tear build.. Losing until the next great "wizard" is all too familiar.
Having Williams sit behind a FA QB both learning the exact new system and players with what looks to be several key rookies just seems not a good idea..
So new FA QB behind a rookie or FA ahead of the latest greatest ? Bagent is emergency 3rd..though he'd have NFL experience ?

How does Williams adapt to winter in Chicago ? I watched most of his games as I live in Pac12 (RIP) area as a Arizona Wildcat fan.. I don't remember seeing him in Midwestern Ice bowls..

He had decent weather and got smashed by ND..had a tough time with Az WINING IN 3 ots..

I didn't see him when he was at Oklahoma in winter..but southern cal or AZ is usually quite nice all year..NFL season is longer and has some nasty weather teams

A rookie backup by a D3 with limited experience/

Doesn't compute for me..
Last edited by docc on Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Evan Brown is a UFA. 27 years old. Could be a good bridge for the Bears (hopefully) draft pick at center.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
malk
Head Coach

I'd be apoplectic if they spent a pile on a vet QB after drafting Williams. Bagent went 2-2 with hardly any development and yet Drew Lock, coming off the back of season where he came in for Smith 16-7 up against the Rams, went three an out on his first full drive, got intercepted on his next and they lost 17-16. In his next game he throws 2 4th quarter interceptions to lose against an admittedly very good 49er team. Then gets a nice win against the Eagles.

But that's pretty much Bagent! Lock had an int rate of 3.9% to Bagent's 4.2%. Why on earth would we move on from the kid with upside for the likes of Drew Lock. Honestly the big vein in my head might actually burst...

Anyway, on topic, I'm kind of sold on Micah Hyde as a cheap stopgap whilst we sort out free safety. Tyler Boyd would be interesting at wideout. Nothing flashy but really consistent with a good amount of targets and yards being hauled in at a decent clip. Yards were down a bit in 2023 but his average depth of target seems to the major reason for that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:10 pm I'd be apoplectic if they spent a pile on a vet QB after drafting Williams. Bagent went 2-2 with hardly any development and yet Drew Lock, coming off the back of season where he came in for Smith 16-7 up against the Rams, went three an out on his first full drive, got intercepted on his next and they lost 17-16. In his next game he throws 2 4th quarter interceptions to lose against an admittedly very good 49er team. Then gets a nice win against the Eagles.

But that's pretty much Bagent! Lock had an int rate of 3.9% to Bagent's 4.2%. Why on earth would we move on from the kid with upside for the likes of Drew Lock. Honestly the big vein in my head might actually burst...

Anyway, on topic, I'm kind of sold on Micah Hyde as a cheap stopgap whilst we sort out free safety. Tyler Boyd would be interesting at wideout. Nothing flashy but really consistent with a good amount of targets and yards being hauled in at a decent clip. Yards were down a bit in 2023 but his average depth of target seems to the major reason for that.
The great thing about the NFL is once you get a couple games started under your belt, you generally have a job for the next 12 years, and it doesnt even matter if you were good or not. (i.e., why the fuck is Drew Lock still in the league. Or Nathan Petermann)

I remain hopeful that we go into next season, in whatever capacity at starting qb, with Bagent as our #2.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Rookie and Bagent with a new OC.

Feels risky
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:55 pm Rookie and Bagent with a new OC.

Feels risky
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Regardless of who is the starter, Bagent should be the backup. You can sign a veteran game manager off the street in case of emergency. There is always an untalented Nathan Peterman type or past their prime former mid tier QB who you can talk into playing if need be mid season.