2024 DB Pre-Draft Position Review

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The NFL Combine is in four weeks. Shortly after that we have FA signings and teams can start making their position cuts. I thought I would start by reviewing the DB position for our level of need vs. the 2024 draft class.

Overall need is ranked 1 to 10. 1 being that we are solid at the position, and aren't talent deficient. 10 being that it's an enormous gaping hole in the roster.

I am rating the Bears need at CB as a 3 (assuming they re-sign JJ). I think more than any other position on the team, the Bears are well stocked at CB, with young talent that showed flashes in limited playing time. Johnson, Stevenson, and Gordon played at a high level almost the entire year, and all three are under 25 years old. Which is good, because I don't think this is a particularly good draft class for CB. My only concern is if the FO can't get a deal done with JJ, then the need elevates to a 5. I thought Terrell Smith flashed a little in limited playing time, but we would probably need to sign a FA like Kendall Fuller. I also expect that the Bears will take atleast one CB on day 2 or 3 to help fill out the roster and use as a developmental prospect.

At S I am rating the need as a 6. The Bears are going to cut Jackson, that is almost certain. Even if he was playing at a decent level, he is the definition of a cap casualty. I like Brisker, I think he plays hard. But more than a few times he came up hurt on relatively benign plays that I think had us all worried about his durability. I'm not familiar with Elijah Hicks play this year. We certainly go out and sign someone like Antoine Winfield Jr. But I think our best bet is to take a S in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like Tyler Nubin out of Minnesota, but there are a few S in this year's draft that are worth taking a look at on day two, that could end up starting in 2024.

I know there are Draft junkies in this group that know a whole lot more than I do about it. So if it is a better draft at CB than I think, let me know.

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

If they don't bring JJ back, sure drafting is on the table.

But if he's back for any length of time, I would be utterly floored if they took a Day 2 corner.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:02 pm If they don't bring JJ back, sure drafting is on the table.

But if he's back for any length of time, I would be utterly floored if they took a Day 2 corner.
Depends on how they "bring him back," though, doesn't it?

Sign him long-term, I tend to agree — you're hunting on Day 3 for another Terell Smith or some such.
Slap a franchise tag on him? I'm much less sure you're not looking for a replacement on Day 2.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:35 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:02 pm If they don't bring JJ back, sure drafting is on the table.

Depends on how they "bring him back," though, doesn't it?

Sign him long-term, I tend to agree — you're hunting on Day 3 for another Terell Smith or some such.
Slap a franchise tag on him? I'm much less sure you're not looking for a replacement on Day 2.
I don't see it, either way.

It's not a good corner class.
And if you take someone early, Jaylon is gone. You can't be using high picks for depth at a position where your depth isn't bad, but you have lots of issues elsewhere.
You've gone from "betting his price can go down, but can't get much higher" to renting him for a year. And an expensive 1 yr rental doesn't make good sense for a team where this one is in 2024. You could hope for a trade, but when people know that's what you need, the price goes down.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:22 pm It's not a good corner class.
We will absolutely agree to disagree here — I don't see this corner class as lackluster at all.

In any case, there will be a robust market for JJ if the Bears decide to trade him. Corners are always in demand, and corners that can actually play even moreso.
KFFL refugee.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:43 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:22 pm It's not a good corner class.
We will absolutely agree to disagree here — I don't see this corner class as lackluster at all.

In any case, there will be a robust market for JJ if the Bears decide to trade him. Corners are always in demand, and corners that can actually play even moreso.
They can't trade him. He's a FA this year. And with his performance this last year, Poles gambled and lost. JJ will be in high demand, and Poles will have to pay to keep him.

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:58 am

They can't trade him. He's a FA this year. And with his performance this last year, Poles gambled and lost. JJ will be in high demand, and Poles will have to pay to keep him.
I think he means franchise and trade.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:58 am

Any trade would come after applying the franchise tag.
KFFL refugee.

cblaz11
MVP

The threat of the tag could force him to take a little less on a long term deal..That, along with his shoulders, makes me thing the tag is the best bet