UOK's 2024 Mock Draft, 3.0: The "Caleb Williams" Draft

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Nobody cares, also I am not an expert in the slightest, but these are fun, so here we go. I did two mocks: One with Caleb Williams, one with a trade down from 1. This is the latter, with the former coming later this week.

THE "KEEP JUSTIN FIELDS" DRAFT

TRADES
BEARS GET PATRIOTS GET
R1 P3, R2 P34, R3 P68, 2025 NE R1, 2025 NE R2 R1 P1
BEARS GET RAMS GET
R1 P19, R2 P52, 2025 LAR R2 R1 P9, R4 P122
BEARS GET JAGUARS GET
R4 P96, R5 P151, R6 P194 R3 P75
-----------

SELECTIONS

R1 P3: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR - Ohio State

SUMMARY: The obvious target in this scenario, with both QBs off the board and the Patriots paying a king's ransom to take Caleb Williams and the Commanders selecting Drake Maye. Instant starter and incredibly high expectations opposite of DJ Moore.

HIGHLIGHTS

R1 P19: Taliese Fuaga, OT/OG - Oregon State

SUMMARY: I forecast Fuaga as primarily competing with Nate Davis for the starting Right Guard position while also shadowing as Darnell Wright's backup at tackle. He is an exceptional pass protector and is athletically gifted for a 6'5 320lb mauler. Ideally he has a Joel Bitonio-esque career for the Bears.

HIGHLIGHTS

R2 P34: Kamren Kinchens, S - Miami

SUMMARY: Even if Eddie Jackson returns, the Bears soreley lack meaningful talent at the safety position, and Kinchens is special. Has great instincts for angling for picks and keeping his feet inbounds, and can blitz effectively with nice closing speed when playing inside the box. Not a bad tackler, either. His tackling, in fact, may be part of what drops him down the boards, as his body may have a bit more mileage from his physical style than others at the position.

HIGHLIGHTS

R2 P52: Sedrick Van Pran, OC - Georgia

SUMMARY: The Bears MUST attack the interior of their offensive line this draft, regardless of how good they feel about Davis and Jenkins. Van Pran is enormous, 6'4" 310lb with room to get stronger. He's the most versatile and NFL Day One ready of the Centers of the 2024 class, and one of the most athletic interior lineman on offer. He needs to refine technique and become more of a bulldog in the run game, adding muscle. It wouldn't hurt for him to play under a more established veteran starting Center for a season, but if he had to start right away, he could, and would do so well, I believe.

HIGHLIGHTS

R3 P68: T'Vondre Sweat, DT - Texas

SUMMARY: Sweat is basically The Fridge reborn. 6'4" 362lb of beef with surprising agility for that hulking mass. His role for his rookie season is to shadow and spell Andrew Billings, while also rotating in regularly as a new element in the Eberflus defense: The Big Mother Fucking Guy, whose primary purpose is to hurl oneself at the opposing ball carrier when called upon. There are logical reasons why this wouldn't work — namely the amount of defensive lineman already on the roster for 2024 — but given the opportunity to put a Dexter Lawrence clone on your defensive line, wouldn't you seize it?

HIGHLIGHTS

R3 P96: Jonah Elliss, EDGE - Utah

SUMMARY: Elliss is one of those guys on defense that is always called when a game-changing moment occurs. He swats down a pass, forces or recovers a strip-sack, breaks a play with a QB hurry, etc. Elliss plays with a frantic motor that should serve him well in the NFL and is something the Bears desperately need from their pass rush. At 20 years old, he's got many years to develop into his prime. His dad was Luther Elliss, who played a decade in the NFL and went two a pair of Pro Bowls. His brothers are also playing for the Patriots and Eagles.

HIGHLIGHTS

R4 P110: Will Shipley, RB - Clemson

SUMMARY: Shipley is just the medicine the Bears need for a disappointing backfield in 2023. He is an accomplished receiver and is extremely comfortable working between his offensive linemen. He can leap over a pile just as comfortably as lower his shoulder into it. What makes him special is his YAC and quickness once he gets hands on the rock. I think he and Roschon would be a hell of a tandem for a couple years behind a renewed offensive line.

HIGHLIGHTS

R5 P142: Theo Johnson, TE - Penn State

SUMMARY: Johnson isn't the lightning bolt TE that the Bears could use to break the offense wide open, but he's a hulking pain in the ass with great hands, which counts for something. Johnson is tough as nails, can push the pile, can BE the pile. Needs a ton of sculpting to be an effective blocker and improve his athleticism, but his body and his heart are NFL-ready.

HIGHLIGHTS

R5 P151: Brenden Rice, WR - USC

SUMMARY: One legend's legacy? How about another! Brenden's dad Jerry was pretty OK at the whole football thing, and his son looks to be NFL-caliber at the least. At 6'3" 210lb he has great size, and runs a 4.3 40. His highlights tell a compelling story, and while I have my doubts Rice falls all the way to the 5th round, in my simulations he was routinely available in this area, so gimme, gimme gimme.

HIGHLIGHTS

R6 P194: Eli Cox, OC/OG - Kentucky

SUMMARY: Cox is an interesting wad of clay that the Bears could shape into something useful. He was primarily a Center at Kentucky, working in at Right Guard occasionally as well. He has the size (6'4" 298lb) to work at tackle, if desired. He's got all the makings of a compelling utility backup, and by simply being under contract he would be an instant upgrade from J'tyre Carter and Dan Feeney.

SCOUTING REPORT
dplank
Hall of Famer

Love the focus on the trenches here UOK - well done.
UOK
Site Admin

Apologies that this looks like crap on mobile. I’m still not used to the table stuff. And thanks plank!
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

UOK, you do not have to do another one... This one is great... You had me with MHJ, then arguably top 3 OT pick of the draft in Fuaga who is capable of G or maybe even swing OT depth and the best C in SVP, but also gaining Kichens to replace Jackson and more Sweat on our D-line!! You hit it out of the park for me. Nicely done!

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I would shit myself with glee if that was our draft.

Well played.

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I would be ecstatic about this, especially with all the linemen. You bet.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If the Bears keep Fields, this would certainly provide some high quality folk on both sides of the line. But I have doubts that Washington and New England will give up much draft capitol to move up to #1. They're probably drafting QBs also, the guys behind Williams aren't rated much worse, and they're going to want to put talent around them also. To get multiple firsts, the Bears are going to have to take a deal lower down, like the Falcons at 8, Raiders at 13, etc.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Here was my ultimate keep Fields crazy trades stockpile talent and picks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Solid work
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

4 firsts next year :lol:

Good draft :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:37 pm Nobody cares, also I am not an expert in the slightest, but these are fun, so here we go.
very nice job :thumbsup: :toast:

many of those who call themselves experts clearly are not, so your effort is as likely as any others to ring true and I really like what you've come up with, especially with the emphasis on the war in the trenches

if this actually turns out to be what the Bears actually do, I'll spring for the air fare to come buy you a beer ... many beers
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

I was curious about teams who have had more than 2 first round picks in the same draft and found this article: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl- ... und-picks/

It's happened more frequently than I realized. Only the NY Jets in 2000 have made four 1st round selections in the same draft.

It seems like most teams of these scenarios have picked at least one stud, but it's pretty that they hit on all of them (not surprisingly).
UOK
Site Admin

Nobody cares, also I am not an expert in the slightest, but these are fun, so here we go. I've ended up doing more mocks than anticipated, with this one being about Drake Maye and a trade with Washington.

THE "DRAKE MAYE DRAFT

TRADES
BEARS GET COMMANDERS GET
R1 P2, R2 P40, R3 P100 R1 P1, R4 P122
BEARS GET BENGALS GET
R6 P195, CIN R5 2025 R5 P142
BEARS GET PATRIOTS GET
QB Justin Fields Conditional 2025 R3 (R2 if conditions met)
-----------

SELECTIONS

R1 P2: Drake Maye, QB - North Carolina

SUMMARY: To call Maye a "consolation prize" would be a drastic mischaracterization. Maye in many draft classes would be the #1 pick, and unless there weren't tea leaves that Washington may be thirsty enough to trade up for him at the behest of Kliff Kingsbury, it would be plausible that the Bears would stay at 1 and take Maye there. However, in this scenario the Commanders and their new staff/ownership are wanting to make a statement and go for their guy in Williams. The Bears happily take Maye. He's a clydesdale, 6'4" 230lb with mobility and improvisational skills for days. His skillset is NFL-ready, and while the Bears may be hesitant to start him right away, in Maye's case maybe they shouldn't bother with the training wheels, especially if Waldron has designs for this guy.

HIGHLIGHTS

//////

R1 P9: Rome Odunze, WR - Washington

SUMMARY: I have my doubts if Odunze will be available at 9, but in this case he is and Poles doesn't hesitate. Odunze is a game changing addition to any offense, and he's got the size (6'3" 215lb) and athleticism to challenge any DB in the NFL. The main thing that makes him dangerous is the same thing that makes him such an appetizing target for quarterbacks: He's relentless when it comes to getting open. If his route isn't there and the play breaks down, he'll find a window of space and use his length to make plays where most would not. He's not necessarily a vertical threat, but he provides similar YAC/RAC prowess that would remind most of DJ Moore.

HIGHLIGHTS

//////

R2 P40: Graham Barton, OL - Duke

SUMMARY: Ideally the Bears would grab a Center prospect here, but in multiple situations I couldn't net Zach Fraizer by pick forty, so instead I have Ryan Poles take a long look at Graham Barton of Duke. At 6'5" 315lb, he has the size to play outside, but is fully capable of moving inside to Guard or, if the Bears wanted to pursue this for him, even Center. His expertise is in the run game, but if given a year to work with Chris Morgan and understudy the whole OL room, you should feel good about handing Barton a starting job in 2025, if he doesn't outright steal someone else's starting gig during the 2024 season.

HIGHLIGHTS

//////

R3 P75: Sedrick Van Pran, OC - Georgia

SUMMARY: Barring a run on centers in round two, which is certainly possible, it's very plausible Van Pran falls into round 3. In multiple simulations on different mock pages he is routinely available in this area of the draft (which by draft day may not being shit), so if he's here, you take him. Here's my thoughts from the other post: Van Pran is enormous, 6'4" 310lb with room to get stronger. He's the most versatile and NFL Day One ready of the Centers of the 2024 class, and one of the most athletic interior lineman on offer. He needs to refine technique and become more of a bulldog in the run game, adding muscle. It wouldn't hurt for him to play under a more established veteran starting Center for a season, but if he had to start right away, he could, and would do so well, I believe.

HIGHLIGHTS

//////

R3 P100: Ben Sinnott, TE - Kansas State

SUMMARY: Among this TE class, Sinnott doesn't necessarily distinguish himself, but that will be to the benefit of whatever team ends up taking him. His ceiling is low, but his football identity is that of a flathead screwdriver: It's nothing special to look at, but there's all sorts of neat stuff you can do with it. He'd be a very useful fit on the roster, and while not a change of pace, he's a solid U that can block and catch. Unpolished, but not unproven at the college level, and at 6'4" 237lb he's got the build to endure.

HIGHLIGHTS

//////

R4 P110: Jaden Hicks, S - Washington State

SUMMARY: I think the Bears would ideally take a safety in either the late stages of round 1 or somewhere in round 2 with a trade scenario, but in this case the BPA value at the position waits until this stage of the draft. Hicks is a compliment/understudy of Brisker, who is a very physical tackler who can be effectively employed in Big Nickel or pass rush. His centerfielder instincts are passable but I don't think will be why he lasts in the NFL. He would provide needed and quality depth at a position of need and no doubt be an impact special teamer right away.

HIGHLIGHTS

//////

R6 P195: Tory Taylor, P - Iowa

SUMMARY: Taylor is going to be drafted, and it's simply a matter of how early someone will pull the trigger. I want this guy in a Bears uniform, so I called up the Bengals to see if they would play ball to move up, and they did, for a pretty fair deal (2024 6th and 2025 5th for our 2024 5th). Taylor is the goods, and he should man the position for twenty years.

HIGHLIGHTS
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

honestly, i stopped reading after drake maye and rome odunze, because my dick exploded and i needed to administer first aid.
UOK
Site Admin

THE "CALEB WILLIAMS" DRAFT

TRADES
BEARS GET RAIDERS GET
R1 P13, R2 P44 R1 P9, R4 P110
BEARS GET BRONCOS GET
R3 P81, R5 P145 R3 P75
-----------

SELECTIONS

R1 P1: Caleb Williams, QB - USC

SUMMARY: The Bears franchise situation is at a turning point. Fresh off of two seasons of Justin Fields demonstrating his dominance as a scrambler but mercuriality as a passer, this normally would find the Bears using their #9 pick to either draft an heir apparent or add another bit of ammunition to get the blood from the stone. With the number one pick, however, on a roster that seems ready to take the next step in their competitive development, the opportunity is simply too much for the Bears to trade down once more. The Bears haven't had the number one pick in the Super Bowl era, and they're not starting from the bottom. This team is ready to win, and fresh off of a Super Bowl where the world saw Patrick Mahomes take an above-average team to yet another Super Bowl while a top 15 QB in the league struggled mightily on the big stage, the Bears need a killer. In the movie "Fury," Sergeant Don Collier takes a raw recruit, Norman, who just joined his tank crew and forces him to pull the trigger and kill a German soldier, because, as Collier states, he cannot have one single person on his unit that hesitates to kill Nazis, or it will doom them all when it gets thick in battle. The Bears have a real chance here with Williams to not draft a Norman, but to draft a Collier. This franchise desperately needs a leader who will not accept defeat, who will redefine the franchise from a middling aw shucks operation into a steady battleship with an unyielding will to dominate.

Or he'll be fucking trash and the Bears will spiral into a hellish tidepool down to franchise contraction.

-----------

R1 P13: Dallas Turner, EDGE - Alabama

SUMMARY: With the run on top-tier receivers denying the Bears at 9, they make a deal with the Raiders who want Daniels or McCarthy. In doing so, the Bears find themselves with the 44th pick in round 2 and have the opportunity to add Turner to their pass rush. Imagine this: Montez Sweat, Danielle Hunter, and Dallas Turner. Opposing QBs would be in hell. And I like that.

-----------

R2 P44: Zach Frazier, C - West Virginia

SUMMARY: I believe right around this region of the draft we'll see the centers go, perhaps all in a bunch. Frazier feels like more of the Bears target, as they'll have gotten more of a look at him during Senior Bowl week where he was a standout. Frazier could be a day 1 starter, but considering the issues the Bears have had at the position, they'd do well to sign a veteran on a short deal to let Frazier acclimate to the NFL game before going full bore as the long-term captain of the offensive line.

-----------

R3 P81: Ricky Pearsall, WR - Florida

SUMMARY: With Darnell Mooney likely moving on to a new start, the Bears are in need of a slot receiver, and Pearsall may well be the best in this draft.

-----------

R4 P122: Jared Wiley, TE - TCU

SUMMARY: Wiley isn't the true U type tight end the Bears want, but at this stage in the draft Wiley provides tremendous value at a position where young depth is necessary. He could develop into an excellent second option.

-----------

R5 P142: Sione Vaki, S - Utah

SUMMARY: Vaki's primary contributions should be on special teams. He is solid enough all-around at being a presence on the football field without excelling at anything enough to find a true position. I think given time and opportunity with quality coaching, you could possibly make him into a very useful backup at Strong Safety and/or a "big nickel" DB.

-----------

R5 P145: Zak Zinter, G - Michigan

SUMMARY: The Bears should get quality value in the 5th round when looking for interior linemen. Zinter is arguably the best of this range of the draft, with great size and experience. Ideally he provides immediate service as a backup (and eventual replacement) to Nate Davis, and maybe takes a lesson or three from Teven Jenkins.
Umbali
MVP

You made me want to watch Fury lol.

My only concern is on the Caleb draft. Our 2nd first round pick I feel should be someone who helps Caleb. Either elite wr ( which you said were gone ) or a Brock Bowers or a OT. Other than that they look good.

The other night for the first time ever I played with the mock simulators and it was almost overwhelming, when you have all those trade options. It was fun tho. Ill have to give it a real try and see how bad I get mocked lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There should be another 2nd round pick if the Bears go with Williams, they'll move Fields.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Love the Drake Maye Draft. Getting Van Pran and Barton seems like a steal. I also am a big fan of Odunze. I think he's WR2 in a pretty solid class on day 1 & 2. I'm going to be interested to see how far Thomas Jr. rockets up the draft boards after the Combine.