Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

German Bear
Practice Squad

:welcome: Caleb

Here's a build around Caleb mock draft. It shows that it is possible to do both, new QB and get the haul.

What's still missing here is the Fields trade. This should bring in a 2nd, which in my scenario would be invested in a DE.

Next year 2 x 1rd and 4 x 2rd picks.

A little hate for this? ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bears Fan from Würzburg, Germany
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

German Bear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:18 am :welcome: Caleb

Here's a build around Caleb mock draft. It shows that it is possible to do both, new QB and get the haul.

What's still missing here is the Fields trade. This should bring in a 2nd, which in my scenario would be invested in a DE.

Next year 2 x 1rd and 4 x 2rd picks.

A little hate for this? ;)
Your draft or one you found?
What were the trades?
German Bear
Practice Squad

I did the draft myself. The first trade was with the Bucs. Then there was another one with the Panthers and Eagles.

The WR Legette would be a great weapon opposite Moore
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Each year we fill The War Room section of this site with mock drafts. Ideally we'd all hold tight until after the first wave of free agency but sometimes people can't resist
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:38 pm Each year we fill The War Room section of this site with mock drafts. Ideally we'd all hold tight until after the first wave of free agency but sometimes people can't resist
I like early mocks.

Gives me people to keep an eye on.
And gives early mockers the ability to claim early adoption after an under radar prospect finally breaks out.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ok @Moriarty you sold me. Let's get the mocks thread moving :headbang:
xyt in the discord chats
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

German Bear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 pm I did the draft myself. The first trade was with the Bucs. Then there was another one with the Panthers and Eagles.

I appreciate the work. But just curious as to why you think the Bucs would want to move to nine. Same thing with the other trades.

I think people can come up with somewhat realistic situations for teams moving to the top stop and giving up what they do. I think a plan of drafting Caleb and then using #9 to trade back and build up with extra picks is not as likely.
LacertineForest
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:12 pm
German Bear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 pm I did the draft myself. The first trade was with the Bucs. Then there was another one with the Panthers and Eagles.

I appreciate the work. But just curious as to why you think the Bucs would want to move to nine. Same thing with the other trades.

I think people can come up with somewhat realistic situations for teams moving to the top stop and giving up what they do. I think a plan of drafting Caleb and then using #9 to trade back and build up with extra picks is not as likely.
#9 is a pretty good spot for teams to move up for a QB because it's so much less expensive than going top 5. If guys like McCarthy, Penix, and Nix have strong combines/pro days, it seems pretty likely that you could get a decent trade down for it.

I'm also good with just dropping a spot or two and picking up a 3rd or a 4th, if you have conviction your guy will be there (like last year's move with the Eagles).

I don't really have an answer for the Bucs moving up to 9 - seems like a bit of a stretch to go that far unless you're drafting a QB.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:32 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:12 pm

#9 is a pretty good spot for teams to move up for a QB because it's so much less expensive than going top 5. If guys like McCarthy, Penix, and Nix have strong combines/pro days, it seems pretty likely that you could get a decent trade down for it.

I'm also good with just dropping a spot or two and picking up a 3rd or a 4th, if you have conviction your guy will be there (like last year's move with the Eagles).

I don't really have an answer for the Bucs moving up to 9 - seems like a bit of a stretch to go that far unless you're drafting a QB.
Fair point. I think it's a reach for those three guys at 9 (not a huge reach, I think teams later in the draft might want to leapfrog Denver and Vegas), but if Mayes or Daniels slid, I think it's more likely. Don't think Tampa would pay the price to move from 26 to 9. Maybe if they weren't able to re-up Baker and you had Mayes or Daniels sitting there.
Umbali
MVP

Seems to me if the Bears pick a QB, then they should keep 9 and see if elite T or WR is still on the board.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I don't want to gunk up the Fields thread. Feels like a dedicated Caleb tracking thread is maybe worthwhile.

I know they're intrinsically linked until further notice, but gonna just hope this stays as a Caleb news/rumors thread and not a "what the Bears should do debate"

Anyways.

Colin Cowherd is saying that Caleb and his "group" do not want him in Chicago. I guess he was on Chicago radio saying this and now it's causing a big stir.

Eriebear
Journeyman

Heard that too . Saying "Him and his people" don't want to go to Chicago. Let's accommodate him. Trade and get Harrison. Let him go to Washington and see how that works out
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well, I really hope this isn’t true. If it is, fuck that guy.
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Cowherd, I believe, was speculating
wab
Mod

If anyone other than Cowherd said it, it would be believable.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I heard from important nfl people that William's wants to come to chicago.

That's worth about as much.
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

Traded Justin for a 2nd and a future conditional 4th that could be a 3rd if he plays 60% of offensive snaps.

Speed. Speed. And more speed.

Draft Caleb.

Traded down from 9 after all the WRs and Bowers went in the first 8 picks. Laitu was available at 17 but his medical retirement scares us off and we go for the high potential Edge rusher from Alabama, Dallas Turner.

Zach Frazier is the second best C in the draft and even unconscious would be an upgrade over what the Bears rolled out there this season.

Worthy is a bolt of lightening who is shifty as he is fast. I expect him to blaze in the 40. Had some hands issues early on but those had resolved by year 3. There are some questions about his ability to track the deep ball at Texas - but he is a big play threat however you get him the ball.

Traded back up into the 2nd to grab the next guy. All about getting Caleb as many weapons as possible and grabbing TE2 while he was still available.

JaTavion Sanders is a freak. Played WR in high school and routinely one-handed Moss'd db's forced to try and cover him. Caught everything thrown his way at Texas and wreaked havoc in the middle of the field. Was Quinn Ewer's security blanket the last two season's - and will be Caleb's next season. Not much of a blocker but he does a decent enough job of getting in the way.

Roman Wilson is more speed - with crazy hands and the ability to make contested catches.

Newton is a prospect long on experience and technique who held up well against talented WRs in the Big12

Tyler Davis is an athletic specimen and member of Bruce Feldman's college football freaks

Due to NIL and transfer portal - the backend of the draft is light on talent. Saw no reason to try and get back 6th or 7th round picks via trade downs.

BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:10 pm Traded Justin for a 2nd and a future conditional 4th that could be a 3rd if he plays 60% of offensive snaps.

Speed. Speed. And more speed.

Draft Caleb.

Traded down from 9 after all the WRs and Bowers went in the first 8 picks. Laitu was available at 17 but his medical retirement scares us off and we go for the high potential Edge rusher from Alabama, Dallas Turner.

Zach Frazier is the second best C in the draft and even unconscious would be an upgrade over what the Bears rolled out there this season.

Worthy is a bolt of lightening who is shifty as he is fast. I expect him to blaze in the 40. Had some hands issues early on but those had resolved by year 3. There are some questions about his ability to track the deep ball at Texas - but he is a big play threat however you get him the ball.

Traded back up into the 2nd to grab the next guy. All about getting Caleb as many weapons as possible and grabbing TE2 while he was still available.

JaTavion Sanders is a freak. Played WR in high school and routinely one-handed Moss'd db's forced to try and cover him. Caught everything thrown his way at Texas and wreaked havoc in the middle of the field. Was Quinn Ewer's security blanket the last two season's - and will be Caleb's next season. Not much of a blocker but he does a decent enough job of getting in the way.

Roman Wilson is more speed - with crazy hands and the ability to make contested catches.

Newton is a prospect long on experience and technique who held up well against talented WRs in the Big12

Tyler Davis is an athletic specimen and member of Bruce Feldman's college football freaks

Due to NIL and transfer portal - the backend of the draft is light on talent. Saw no reason to try and get back 6th or 7th round picks via trade downs.

I guess we throw a ton of money at Antoine Winfield because Mayfield and Evans going to be tough decisions and have a fantastic offseason if we draft that well.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:48 pm Well, I really hope this isn’t true. If it is, fuck that guy.
and his group.

But it probably isn’t true, important NFL people told me that.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

docc
Head Coach

..Colon Cowhead..? Who knows what reality is..
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It was being discussed on the SCORE this morning. Cowhead spouts these statements out with no corroboration, no source, no first hand knowledge. Fire starter type of statement. He probably thinks there is credence to the statements he made (one being that the Williams camp is wary of Chicago because they have not developed a QB) is so obvious anyone who has watched the NFL for 30 yrs could have made that same comment about the Bears QB history.

I don't care for hardly any radio sports personalities, Cowhead and Rome are 2 guys that I would not listen to if paid.
wab
Mod

I'll preface this by saying I'm not sold on Williams...but if what Cowherd is saying is unfounded, then is sucks for Willaims because it puts him in a position where he immediately has to overcome yet another narrative.

I'm no agent or sports management guru...but it would behoove Williams and his people to come out and say it's not true.

Don't dance around it and say some canned nonsense like "I'm just blessed to be in a position to be picked first". Come out and say "Colin Cowherd is making this shit up. I never said I didn't want to go to Chicago, and if anyone said that on my behalf, they are flat out wrong. I respect Justin Fields, but if they pick me first, I'm going to be thrilled and will give them everything I have so we can win a championship".

Unless it is true.
German Bear
Practice Squad

The main purpose of the draft example is to show that you can still collect decent picks by trading down ninth to the end of the first or beginning of the second round. There would be potential trade partners, even if the haul might be lower than in my example.

I just want to counter the argument that you absolutely have to trade the first pick. Arguments for or against trading apply predominantly to the first and ninth pick...
LacertineForest
MVP

wab wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 am I'll preface this by saying I'm not sold on Williams...but if what Cowherd is saying is unfounded, then is sucks for Willaims because it puts him in a position where he immediately has to overcome yet another narrative.

I'm no agent or sports management guru...but it would behoove Williams and his people to come out and say it's not true.

Don't dance around it and say some canned nonsense like "I'm just blessed to be in a position to be picked first". Come out and say "Colin Cowherd is making this shit up. I never said I didn't want to go to Chicago, and if anyone said that on my behalf, they are flat out wrong. I respect Justin Fields, but if they pick me first, I'm going to be thrilled and will give them everything I have so we can win a championship".

Unless it is true.
Agreed - I was just thinking that it will be interesting to see how (if) he responds to this. It doesn't take much to say the right thing, but what he says and how he says it could really impact things.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I think Cowhead is trying to get a rise out of Caleb to fuel the narrative, one way or the other.

Interesting indeed.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
German Bear
Practice Squad

Poles will find out if there's something to this. I do not assume that. There is so much crap written and said about Caleb, you just have to generate clicks somehow.

The nice thing is that we have a strong QB draft class, if the rumors are true. I would also like Drake Maye. We might get a 2nd pick from the Comanders if they really want Williams.
UOK
Site Admin

Williams isn't going to say peep. I heard he was liking some Chicago apartments on Instagram, and honestly if he didn't want to play for the Bears, he's missing an incredible opportunity. The Bears are an extremely good situation for a number one pick to go to, primarily because the pick was earned in a trade and not as the result of the franchise being a dumpster fire. He'd be throwing to DJ Moore and almost certainly another elite rookie receiver as well as an established free agent. The TE position is solid, the offensive line is average but he's used to that, and the defense is on the cusp of being really special. The OC is new, but it's an established OC with playcalling experience who was worked with a wide range of QBs to a successful degree. Chicago is an amazing city to live in, and if you win football games here, you're a living god.

It's not like he'd be going to some dumpy operation in Washington that's going to take years to get cleaned up after decades of neglect, or would be mismanaged by meddling, cheap, and/or incompetent ownership like in Carolina or Arizona. The New York media is brutal and MetLife is an injury factory. The Jets are a season away from a complete teardown, the Patriots are virtually at bottom, the Titans are starting over, and the Raiders/Falcons situations are fragile at the best of times.

The Bears are a good bet, and while yeah it's cold, being the #1 overall pick who redefines the position for a city desperate for football success would accelerate the hell out of getting a new indoor stadium built.

Those in the press who are parroting this crap are simply trying to boil up intrigue for will-they-won't-they come draft day and set the table for games next season when the Bears are overbooked in primetime games, where Collinsworth and co. can prattle off "And there were rumors before the draft that Caleb Williams didn't even want to be a Bear! So look at his face on the sideline after that failed 3rd down conversion and tell me he's not having second thoughts about holding out." etc etc etc. It's all complete horse shit, exploiting Bears fan paranoia about the QB position, Cutler-face, the list goes on.

And if Williams and co. in reality don't want to come here, fuck 'em. That's bad business and awful character. Eli Manning pulled it off because his dad and brother had a lot of sway in the right places, Caleb Williams' family doesn't have any pull at all to do that kind of crap. If the rumors are true, he can kiss all of our asses and hopefully the next time he's in town he gets his dick knocked in the dirt.
German Bear
Practice Squad

UOK wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:26 am Williams isn't going to say peep. I heard he was liking some Chicago apartments on Instagram, and honestly if he didn't want to play for the Bears, he's missing an incredible opportunity. The Bears are an extremely good situation for a number one pick to go to, primarily because the pick was earned in a trade and not as the result of the franchise being a dumpster fire. He'd be throwing to DJ Moore and almost certainly another elite rookie receiver as well as an established free agent. The TE position is solid, the offensive line is average but he's used to that, and the defense is on the cusp of being really special. The OC is new, but it's an established OC with playcalling experience who was worked with a wide range of QBs to a successful degree. Chicago is an amazing city to live in, and if you win football games here, you're a living god.

It's not like he'd be going to some dumpy operation in Washington that's going to take years to get cleaned up after decades of neglect, or would be mismanaged by meddling, cheap, and/or incompetent ownership like in Carolina or Arizona. The New York media is brutal and MetLife is an injury factory. The Jets are a season away from a complete teardown, the Patriots are virtually at bottom, the Titans are starting over, and the Raiders/Falcons situations are fragile at the best of times.

The Bears are a good bet, and while yeah it's cold, being the #1 overall pick who redefines the position for a city desperate for football success would accelerate the hell out of getting a new indoor stadium built.

Those in the press who are parroting this crap are simply trying to boil up intrigue for will-they-won't-they come draft day and set the table for games next season when the Bears are overbooked in primetime games, where Collinsworth and co. can prattle off "And there were rumors before the draft that Caleb Williams didn't even want to be a Bear! So look at his face on the sideline after that failed 3rd down conversion and tell me he's not having second thoughts about holding out." etc etc etc. It's all complete horse shit, exploiting Bears fan paranoia about the QB position, Cutler-face, the list goes on.

And if Williams and co. in reality don't want to come here, fuck 'em. That's bad business and awful character. Eli Manning pulled it off because his dad and brother had a lot of sway in the right places, Caleb Williams' family doesn't have any pull at all to do that kind of crap. If the rumors are true, he can kiss all of our asses and hopefully the next time he's in town he gets his dick knocked in the dirt.
I think so too. Normally the first pick goes to a team that is very bad or one that has sold its future by sacrificing draft picks.

We are very well positioned and can also tank by trading down the 9th pick. Fields trade and the additional 2nd in the coming year are not there either.

It doesn't get any better.

On the other hand, how little self-confidence do we have to have to not take advantage of this opportunity?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

German Bear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:10 am The main purpose of the draft example is to show that you can still collect decent picks by trading down ninth to the end of the first or beginning of the second round. There would be potential trade partners, even if the haul might be lower than in my example.

I just want to counter the argument that you absolutely have to trade the first pick. Arguments for or against trading apply predominantly to the first and ninth pick...
In what way did you counter the argument of trading the first pick?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:47 am
German Bear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:10 am The main purpose of the draft example is to show that you can still collect decent picks by trading down ninth to the end of the first or beginning of the second round. There would be potential trade partners, even if the haul might be lower than in my example.

In what way did you counter the argument of trading the first pick?
yeah, kind of had the same question German Bear ... your opinion, which you are of course entitled to, did not prove what you think it did
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin