Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

LacertineForest
MVP

spudbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:08 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

Don't dismiss Dallas...

Watched the NFL Today last night and the Dak situation came up. Apparently he has been tagged twice already, so if they tag him again it would be around $80M to keep him for 2025. The talking heads seemed to think that the only way Dak stays is if he's hoisting the Lombardi trophy in February. Doubt that happens, as Jerry Jones seems to be preparing the team for rebuild. Would Shadeur be part of that build? Dallas would be a different place without Dak and the Fat Leprechaun, also in the last year of his contract.
McCarthy could be gone, too - Sanders and Sanders would be quite the spectacle for Jerry World. I really wonder what would happen if they came out and said Shadeur flat out wouldn't play for any team other than Dallas (assuming Dallas moves on from Dak)? Would any team draft him and try to trade him to Dallas? Would they all pass on him, allowing Dallas to take him without trading up? Would the NFL institute some kind of rule to get around this? I'm all for player empowerment, but if it set a trend where players just said they wouldn't play for certain teams, it seems like a real threat to parity. Of course, only the top players would likely have that kind of leverage, so the impact would probably be pretty minimal. Money talks, too - Shadeur would be passing up a lot if he wanted to wait until Dallas picked rather than going in the top-5 or wherever.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:51 pm
Bears coach Matt Eberflus praises USC’s Caleb Williams after extensive meetings last week

Coach Matt Eberflus and Poles were among nine Bears officials at Williams’ pro day last week in Los Angeles. For 80 minutes or so March 19, Eberflus sat alone with Williams inside USC’s football offices.

‘‘Just really hearing his journey, his journey from being a little guy,’’ Eberflus said. ‘‘What I gleaned from that is how his mother and father love him very much. Very supportive. You could see his character, his football character there, his football knowledge as I talk through that. It was a really good visit.’’

It might be the basis for a long-term relationship. The Bears were as impressed by Williams’ throwing session as they were by their conversations with him on campus and over dinner.

‘‘The biggest takeaway is that you can see the arm talent on the film and you can see it there in person,’’ Eberflus said. ‘‘What I loved to see was the interaction with the other players. You can see that, and we talked to every person that was on that team [at the Senior Bowl and pro day]. . . . We talked to those guys at the dinner, and you can certainly see those players love him and respect him and what he’s brought to that program.’’

Eberflus spoke glowingly about Williams in his first public comments since meeting him at the NFL Scouting Combine. The Bears brought their brain trust, including McCaskey and president/CEO Kevin Warren, to the 18-minute meeting in Indianapolis.

‘‘The thing that is most important for me on any of our players, but especially on potentially top draft picks, is: ‘Do you love football? And where’s your heart? Are you passionate? Do you want to be a champion? Are you willing to do things the right way?’ ’’ Warren said.

McCaskey asked few questions during the meeting.

‘‘It was at 10:40 at night, and he was remarkably gregarious, engaged and friendly,’’ McCaskey said. ‘‘When they got down to football, he was right in it.’’

McCaskey will be part of Williams’ visit next week to Halas Hall, but he said his role will be determined by Poles.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... al-meeting
Hopefully Poles will tell McCaskey his role is to greet Williams, talk a little about the history of the team and then hand over to Poles saying "but this is all about the future and this is the man to tell you all about that".

Or Poles just tells George to stand in a corner and say absolutely nothing.
Eberflus indicated that in his 30 visit, the Bears will talk about the install of the offense with Williams. That is an NFL code word for discussing the execution of the offense and strongly indicates they are trying to jump the gun on introducing him to Waldron's offense.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:13 pm

Let's see.

Atlanta - they might address the QB spot in the draft this year, so they could be out of the running.
Washington - IS addressing the QB spot at #2, so I don't see them doubling down next year.
Dallas - slim chance. The front office freaking LOVE Dax, he isn't going anywhere.
Baltimore - "Sorry Lamar, we know we just PAID you, but we're going to eat of bunch of it and move on." Or "Yeah we know we are built to win right now but rather than use draft capital to make us better, we will draft Sanders and have him not help out for 3 years like Rodgers and Love did." I think not.
49ers - Don't see them making a change at QB either.

So maybe the Falcons would be in a spot to take him, but as for the rest I seriously doubt it.
Don't dismiss Dallas...
Cowboys QB Dak Prescott expected to play on current contract for 2024 season

The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are prepared to play out the final year of the quarterback's contract...

https://www.nfl.com/news/cowboys-qb-dak ... 024-season
Have a good friend that's very high up with Cowboys. Jerry wants another Super Bowl and really loves Dak. Jerry is not going to put this team in the hands of a rookie and decrease his chances of them getting a Super Bowl soon.

Never underestimate a hands on owner like him.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 am

Don't dismiss Dallas...

Have a good friend that's very high up with Cowboys. Jerry wants another Super Bowl and really loves Dak. Jerry is not going to put this team in the hands of a rookie and decrease his chances of them getting a Super Bowl soon.

One of my best friends used to be a team doctor for the White Sox, and has friends in the bears organization. Every time he tells me "insider" info I feel confident knowing that the opposite is true. He's absolutely never right.

You've only helped convince me that it's more likely they're drafting a rookie next year. Book marking this.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 am

One of my best friends used to be a team doctor for the White Sox, and has friends in the bears organization. Every time he tells me "insider" info I feel confident knowing that the opposite is true. He's absolutely never right.

You've only helped convince me that it's more likely they're drafting a rookie next year. Book marking this.
Most things he's told me in the past have panned out well.

Also, he hasn't come out and said they wouldn't do it, that's more of me reading the tea leafs. Mostly that Jerry thinks the team can win it all now (not sure how he gets there, but whatever) and he loves Dak.
wab
Mod

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:36 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 am
The most infuriating thing about deions shortlist is Washington is on it. Seriously WTF that is a garbage ass franchise.
You're right. Here's the full list that Deion mentioned:
Deion then listed the NFL cities where they will play — Atlanta, Washington, Dallas, Baltimore, and San Francisco.
I would like my son to fall in the draft and miss out on the higher rookie pay scale, and ultimately go to a team where he has no chance to play for at least two years.

- Deion Sanders
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From everything people have been saying about Shadeur Sanders he sounds like an ideal fit with Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.
dave99
Assistant Coach

I know there have been a lot of these posted, but I found this to be relatively objective and insightful:

[video][/video]
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dave99 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:04 pm I know there have been a lot of these posted, but I found this to be relatively objective and insightful:

[video][/video]
He's dead to me. Look at how he's holding the ball. Not gripping it with the laces. :headbang: :rofl: :kickme:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Question for everyone.

I've watched all the clips everyone has posted here as well as many other across the web.

Did he take a single snap under center while in college? I don't think that's a huge issue but it could be.
Z Bear
MVP

That is every QB drafted these days, none of them have been under center even in high school.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:51 pm Question for everyone.

I've watched all the clips everyone has posted here as well as many other across the web.

Did he take a single snap under center while in college? I don't think that's a huge issue but it could be.
Asked the same thing myself last week Ark.

I thought it was some rule
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

With Caleb Williams making magic, Chicago Bears will be NFL's Cinderella team of 2024
Adam Schein

https://www.nfl.com/news/with-caleb-wil ... am-of-2024
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:19 pm
With Caleb Williams making magic, Chicago Bears will be NFL's Cinderella team of 2024
Adam Schein

https://www.nfl.com/news/with-caleb-wil ... am-of-2024
Shit like this makes me nervous :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
spudbear
MVP

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:19 pm
Shit like this makes me nervous :lol:
I'd be happy if the Cinderella Bears stomps the Cinderella stepmama (Pukers) and two sisters (Vikes and Lions).
Hopefully they won't be just whacking flowerheads
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
docc
Head Coach

...Or just wacking off against every team..
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:23 pm That is every QB drafted these days, none of them have been under center even in high school.
I have been to JFL and Jr high games and none of them are under center. It is a crime.
dplank
Hall of Famer

It is going to be AWESOME when this guy beats the Packers. Those meatheads are going to lose their minds over it 😂

I’m really starting to love this kid. He gives no shits what anyone thinks, that’s true strength
G08
Hall of Famer

👀

🔥 🔥 🔥
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That picture with the pink phone case looks like a poorly done photoshop IMO. I know he paints his nails, never had a problem with it. Many men do it. I used to have my kids paint my finger and/or toe nails when they wanted. They even tried to make it look like he has lipstick on. I think it is peeps trying to start crap.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

👀

🔥 🔥 🔥
Here's my take on it. When looking at the things he does that some may say are "different" I was never worried about those things themselves. But I did wonder if he had somewhat of a different personality that might be off putting to his teammates. After the bowl games when a player said "we are team now" that increased my concerns that he may have such a personality and might not be the guy to lead the locker room. So I think it is fair when he paints his nails, goes and hugs mom after a loss, reports he wants team ownership, etc., (again when you add them all up not necessarily just looking at them individually) it's okay for someone to say "I wonder if those thing mean there is a problem." When you are talking about investing the 1.1 pick on a player due diligence requires you to do so.

Now with every report that has come out about him - Poles "his teammates don't like him, they love him" (I think he's been watching too much American Idol and Simon Cowell) and "I can't find a single person to say something bad about him;" appears to simply love football; appears to be driven to be the best. All those concerns are out the window for me. I think he personality and likes and dislikes may differ from me, but so did a lot of the guys that I played with, heck that I have to work with now. He appears to be a leader of men based on everything we now know. That was one reason I liked the idea of sticking with Fields as EVERYONE agreed on that point, and that's not something that can be learned. Cutler for all his strengths didn't seem to want to embrace that role (at least to me looking in), and that is something your QB simply MUST do.

With all the information out there now, the tools making the stupid statements need to just go away. Heck, I blame in on our 24-hour news cycle and everyone's desire to get clicks and likes.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’ve got to be honest, that video looks like a fake to my untrained eye.
The way his head moves?
It doesn’t seem legit, it seems “faked”.

Either way I could give a monkeys.
He’s paid to play ball. If he does that and behaves himself legally then I don’t care what he does.

Have fun Caleb, a young, healthy, multimillionaire.

G08
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm
G08 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

👀

🔥 🔥 🔥
Here's my take on it. When looking at the things he does that some may say are "different" I was never worried about those things themselves. But I did wonder if he had somewhat of a different personality that might be off putting to his teammates. After the bowl games when a player said "we are team now" that increased my concerns that he may have such a personality and might not be the guy to lead the locker room. So I think it is fair when he paints his nails, goes and hugs mom after a loss, reports he wants team ownership, etc., (again when you add them all up not necessarily just looking at them individually) it's okay for someone to say "I wonder if those thing mean there is a problem." When you are talking about investing the 1.1 pick on a player due diligence requires you to do so.

Now with every report that has come out about him - Poles "his teammates don't like him, they love him" (I think he's been watching too much American Idol and Simon Cowell) and "I can't find a single person to say something bad about him;" appears to simply love football; appears to be driven to be the best. All those concerns are out the window for me. I think he personality and likes and dislikes may differ from me, but so did a lot of the guys that I played with, heck that I have to work with now. He appears to be a leader of men based on everything we now know. That was one reason I liked the idea of sticking with Fields as EVERYONE agreed on that point, and that's not something that can be learned. Cutler for all his strengths didn't seem to want to embrace that role (at least to me looking in), and that is something your QB simply MUST do.

With all the information out there now, the tools making the stupid statements need to just go away. Heck, I blame in on our 24-hour news cycle and everyone's desire to get clicks and likes.
I honest to God don't even care if he's a fucking alien -- WIN ME A SUPER BOWL
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:51 pm Question for everyone.

I saw a stat a while ago. It was something absurd like a dozen, maybe less. And most of those were for something like a QB sneak (I think it did exclude kneel downs)

But as stated, that's just the college game now. I think JJ McCarthy is the only top guy in this class who's had a not immaterial amount of snaps under center and that's been story for a while, with few exceptions.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

It is going to be AWESOME when this guy beats the Packers. Those meatheads are going to lose their minds over it 😂

I’m really starting to love this kid. He gives no shits what anyone thinks, that’s true strength
I can't believe, what got @dplank to finally fall in love with Caleb Williams, was pink lipstick and pink nail polish.

They broke the mold when they made you, my friend! :wink: :toast:
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hahaha

Really what got me was Poles. I trust him and so I trust what he’s doing. If he passed his “teammate/leadership” test then I’m in
dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

It would be bloody hilarious now if Poles is trolling and he trades with Washington for a haul :lol:

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm
Love it! This kid is going to own Chicago by the time he receives his record breaking second contract.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm
Love it! This kid is going to own Chicago by the time he receives his record breaking second contract.
Me too I laughed my ass off at this. This kid is gonna own Chicago. Let’s gooooooooooo!!