Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

TMP..do not forget the Chihuahua stools....
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Either Caleb Williams just threw 5 INTs in Lambeau Field or....

dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm getting excited AF about Caleb Williams. My post Fields hangover has lifted, I have visions of CW throwing to DJ and Allen and Kmet, dumping off to Swift and scoring 30 PPG. I still feel like Fields got a raw deal here, but I'm over it completely.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:48 am I'm getting excited AF about Caleb Williams. My post Fields hangover has lifted, I have visions of CW throwing to DJ and Allen and Kmet, dumping off to Swift and scoring 30 PPG. I still feel like Fields got a raw deal here, but I'm over it completely.
Let's go.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:48 am I'm getting excited AF about Caleb Williams. My post Fields hangover has lifted, I have visions of CW throwing to DJ and Allen and Kmet, dumping off to Swift and scoring 30 PPG. I still feel like Fields got a raw deal here, but I'm over it completely.
I'm not over it "completely" yet, but I've been resigned to a new Bears QB since roughly December, so the inevitable is coming.

It certainly looks like it's Caleb. I hope he blows up and makes us forget every single QB who's come before him.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Do forget Everett, I think he’s a very shrewd signing :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:47 pm Do forget Everett...
Who?

Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

G08
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:29 am
G08 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:35 pm

Check your PM, sent you some stuff I shared with others who asked about him
I would like to be added to this mailing list
Sent
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 am
G08 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 pm

Ehhh doubt he gets past Tennessee at 7, it all boils down to what happens with the QBs and trades.

Gun to my head I think we will have one of these dudes available at 9:

Malik Nabers (doubt it)
Joe Alt (doubt it)
Dallas Turner (maaayyyybe)
Rome Odunze (possible)
Jared Verse (likely)

Who do you have going 1-8? I'd be legit surprised if Dallas Turner isn't there at 9
In no particular order:

Williams
Daniels
Drake Maye
JJ McCarthy
Marvin Harrison Jr
Joe Alt
Malik Nabers
Dallas Turner
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:01 pm Ok I need some feedback here.

If I buy a Caleb Williams college or rookie auto card it’ll fuck up the whole thing right?

I don’t know if I believe in chicken bones and all that crap but you guys are smarter than me about this stuff.
Justin Fields is the first Bears QB I haven't bought a jersey of in quite a while and it didn't seem to make a difference for me :lol:
G08
Hall of Famer

Last edited by G08 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Precisely, I pick up more of an Erin Rodgers/Drew Brees/Joe Burrow vibe than Mahomes. I hope Williams works out if he's in a Bear's uniform.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Genuine question:

Is there a rule in college football where the QB can’t take the snap under center?

Is it always shotgun?

dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:21 am Genuine question:

Is there a rule in college football where the QB can’t take the snap under center?

Is it always shotgun?
No it’s just what they choose to do
dplank
Hall of Famer

From the Athletic this morning....again, highly suggest you subscribe to this if you don't already. A snippet that is pure gold...
ORLANDO, Fla. — The Chicago Bears are doing their due diligence on USC quarterback Caleb Williams ahead of the NFL Draft, and general manager Ryan Poles said Monday morning at the owners’ meetings that “the feedback’s been good.”

That may be an understatement.

“When you talk to his teammates, they don’t like him, they love him,” Poles said. “His leadership, how he brings people together. He’s intentional with his leadership. Same goes with the staff.

“I’m having a hard time finding a person that doesn’t like him or even love him.”
LacertineForest
MVP

Love to hear that. Here's to hoping he'll win over the locker room in short order.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Misc Caleb stuff:

In 2 years at USC, the team never lost when it held opposing teams to less than 33 points; they were 19-0. The 2 year record was 24-10
6 games in which he threw 5 or more TD passes and 2 games in which he had 5 TDs total
2 games in which he didn't throw a TD but scored a rushing TD in each
178 passes in the red zone with 1 INT
Punted twice in 2022 games, averaged 42 yards per, ranking 75th in college football (Elway punted a fair amount for the Broncos and averaged 36.1 yards; Danny White punted for the Cowboys while their QB and averaged 40.2 yards)
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Hoog
Pro Bowler

Watching more and more film of CW lately and I don't see Mahomes, I see a more football smart Dak Prescott, with a hint of Aaron Rodgers pocket movement and creativity. Mahomes is just on another level with his creativity and escapability. I don't see CW having that in film.
Bearfacts
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:03 pm For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure no one has any doubts about Caleb Williams as a football talent. (I certainly don't.)

Any concerns about him are about his intangibles. If those are good? He's a complete no-brainer selection, the kind of guy you sprint up to the podium to draft. And nothing anyone offers on a trade matters, because nothing anyone legitimately offers is enough.
I do think it's come down to that and it seems that at least much of the hoo hah about his relationship with his SC teammates was no more than the typical crap always thrown around about top draft picks every year. Those of us who voiced concerns weren't wrong but also trusted Poles and Co to check this kid out as thoroughly as if he was being made part of a POTUS Secret Service Detail and it appears they have.

Whether or not any one of the other top prospects may turn out better needs to be put on a shelf for now. Only time will tell and a lot of it depends on whether for the first time in modern history we're actually able to develop a rookie QB and provide him with all he needs to make him successful. That's the challenge I'm more interested in if only because we've screwed up so badly in the past. Can we finally get it right?

As for the money issue and his Father I'll again trust Poles and Co to assure those won't become an issue until at least 3 years down the road from 2024 and by then we'll know whether we finally have a true Franchise QB or we're pissing into the wind all over again.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:53 am From the Athletic this morning....again, highly suggest you subscribe to this if you don't already. A snippet that is pure gold...
ORLANDO, Fla. — The Chicago Bears are doing their due diligence on USC quarterback Caleb Williams ahead of the NFL Draft, and general manager Ryan Poles said Monday morning at the owners’ meetings that “the feedback’s been good.”

That may be an understatement.

“When you talk to his teammates, they don’t like him, they love him,” Poles said. “His leadership, how he brings people together. He’s intentional with his leadership. Same goes with the staff.

“I’m having a hard time finding a person that doesn’t like him or even love him.”
I LOVE hearing this.

One note: This is EXACTLY what Poles would be saying if they found all the bodies too and wanted to trade the Pick.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:32 am Misc Caleb stuff:

In 2 years at USC, the team never lost when it held opposing teams to less than 33 points; they were 19-0. The 2 year record was 24-10
6 games in which he threw 5 or more TD passes and 2 games in which he had 5 TDs total
2 games in which he didn't throw a TD but scored a rushing TD in each
178 passes in the red zone with 1 INT
Punted twice in 2022 games, averaged 42 yards per, ranking 75th in college football (Elway punted a fair amount for the Broncos and averaged 36.1 yards; Danny White punted for the Cowboys while their QB and averaged 40.2 yards)
What did Randall Cunningham average?
IotaNet
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 am ...As for the money issue and his Father I'll again trust Poles and Co to assure those won't become an issue until at least 3 years down the road ...
@Bearfacts -- I don't mean to single you out here, because many folks saw this as a "red flag" BUT ...

I think the "money issues" and the "team ownership" questions were all overblown.

Williams has never shown himself to be anything but an engaged, involved, passionate teammate and leader. There is nothing out there to the contrary.

The fact that his dad is serving as the head of his business affairs (as opposed to an agent) makes some folks uncomfortable. We know that other players have inquired about team ownership in the past. We also know that some players have been very successful without agents. The fact this his dad is in the mix, asking hard questions (however unorthodox or unprecedented they might be) don't make CW a bad kid, teammate, or future professional player.

This is a different sport, but I remember when LeBron James had the audacity to name a childhood friend as his agent. There were howls of resistance from all over. He has gone on to create a company worth over a billion dollars which includes deals with NBC, Disney, and even minority ownership in The Boston Red Sox and Liverpool FC.

This is business and there's nothing wrong with asking business questions.

As long as Caleb Williams does his part on the field, I'm good with him. And there's no reason to believe he won't.
Last edited by IotaNet on Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Bearfacts
MVP

IotaNet wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:48 am
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 am ...As for the money issue and his Father I'll again trust Poles and Co to assure those won't become an issue until at least 3 years down the road ...
@Bearfacts -- I don't mean to single you out here, because many folks saw this as a "red flag" BUT ...

I think the "money issues" and the "team ownership" questions were all overblown.

Williams has never shown himself to be anything but an engaged, involved, passionate teammate and leader. There is nothing out there to the contrary.

The fact that his dad is serving as the head of his business affairs (as opposed to an agent) makes some folks uncomfortable. We know that other players have inquired about team ownership in the past. We also know that some players have been very successful without agents. The face this his dad is in the mix, asking hard questions (however unorthodox or unprecedented they might be) don't make CW a bad kid, teammate, or future professional player.

This is a different sport, but I remember when LeBron James had the audacity to name a childhood friend as his agent. There were howls of resistance from all over. He has gone on to create a company worth over a billion dollars which includes deals with NBC, Disney, and even minority ownership in The Boston Red Sox and Liverpool FC.

As long as Caleb Williams does his part on the field, I'm good with him. And there's no reason to believe he won't.
I was never hung up on the ownership deal. It's not anything the McCaskey's would ever agree to even if the NFL forbade it.

My concerns were centered around whether or not CW signing a standard players contract for his slotted amount would become an issue and whether or not future contracts may also be difficult to negotiate with him which is what my referral to 3 years down the road or more was about. I'm also no longer concerned about his Dad's role if Poles and Co are no longer concerned about it and from all we can tell at the moment they're fine with it.

Strictly from a commercial standpoint CW couldn't be in a much better position than to be in Chicago where if he succeeds as the "Face of the Franchise" he'll be royalty around Chicagoland and have his choice of all the local endorsements he can handle. My concerns were whether or not his "Brand" meant more to him than playing winning football for the next 10-15 years in Chicago. Here again if Poles and Co are satisfied with all of that so am I.

I'm the same age as Greg Gabriel and shared some of the same concerns about CW he voiced. We've both seen a whole lot of highly drafted players come and go without anywhere near the success that was initially ascribed to them. Gabe's seen it a lot closer at hand than I ever have but personality traits can be evaluated from a distance. We all do that. It was as much that stuff that concerned me as anything else. CW talent in undeniable.

And I don't really care if he's a bit cocky either. QB's need a bit of that too. I just want to know that if that's his manner he also has the toughness to go out and back it up especially on a cold December day with snow flurries in the air and a Championship Game on the line with Green Bay as the opponent. Mac was tough. JF was tough. Both could take hits and still perform. Can a kid who played ball OK and SC do the same in the chill of winter in Chicago?

Guess we're gonna find out eh? :toast:

IotaNet
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:22 pm …. on a cold December day with snow flurries in the air and a Championship Game on the line with Green Bay as the opponent. Mac was tough. JF was tough. Both could take hits and still perform. Can a kid who played ball OK and SC do the same in the chill of winter in Chicago?

Agreed, except that while JF was tough, and as much as I loved him as a player, on a cold January evening in Green Bay with his future as a Chicago Bear on the line, he did NOT perform. That (and other situations like it) is why he’s no longer here.

We have no way of knowing, all we can do is ask the right questions. And like you, I trust Poles to do the necessary due diligence.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Bearfacts
MVP

IotaNet wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:08 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:22 pm …. on a cold December day with snow flurries in the air and a Championship Game on the line with Green Bay as the opponent. Mac was tough. JF was tough. Both could take hits and still perform. Can a kid who played ball OK and SC do the same in the chill of winter in Chicago?

Agreed, except that while JF was tough, and as much as I loved him as a player, on a cold January evening in Green Bay with his future as a Chicago Bear on the line, he did NOT perform. That (and other situations like it) is why he’s no longer here.

We have no way of knowing, all we can do is ask the right questions. And like you, I trust Poles to do the necessary due diligence.
LOL....tell me that last time you can recall any QB of ours beating GB on a cold winter day or night? Also tell me that last SC QB who ever had a great NFL career? That's another of my 'til now unmentioned concerns. This time I'm letting is pass.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Are we done with the "we're a team, now" crap and unsubstantiated leadership issues when it comes to Caleb now? I haven't been following much lately.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:38 pm Are we done with the "we're a team, now" crap and unsubstantiated leadership issues when it comes to Caleb now? I haven't been following much lately.
yep. More information has been coming out and it's all positive
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:22 pm
IotaNet wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:48 am @Bearfacts -- I don't mean to single you out here, because many folks saw this as a "red flag" BUT ...

The fact that his dad is serving as the head of his business affairs (as opposed to an agent) makes some folks uncomfortable. We know that other players have inquired about team ownership in the past. We also know that some players have been very successful without agents. The face this his dad is in the mix, asking hard questions (however unorthodox or unprecedented they might be) don't make CW a bad kid, teammate, or future professional player.

I was never hung up on the ownership deal. It's not anything the McCaskey's would ever agree to even if the NFL forbade it.

My concerns were centered around whether or not CW signing a standard players contract for his slotted amount would become an issue and whether or not future contracts may also be difficult to negotiate with him which is what my referral to 3 years down the road or more was about. I'm also no longer concerned about his Dad's role if Poles and Co are no longer concerned about it and from all we can tell at the moment they're fine with it.

Strictly from a commercial standpoint CW couldn't be in a much better position than to be in Chicago where if he succeeds as the "Face of the Franchise" he'll be royalty around Chicagoland and have his choice of all the local endorsements he can handle. My concerns were whether or not his "Brand" meant more to him than playing winning football for the next 10-15 years in Chicago. Here again if Poles and Co are satisfied with all of that so am I.

I'm the same age as Greg Gabriel and shared some of the same concerns about CW he voiced. We've both seen a whole lot of highly drafted players come and go without anywhere near the success that was initially ascribed to them. Gabe's seen it a lot closer at hand than I ever have but personality traits can be evaluated from a distance. We all do that. It was as much that stuff that concerned me as anything else. CW talent in undeniable.

And I don't really care if he's a bit cocky either. QB's need a bit of that too. I just want to know that if that's his manner he also has the toughness to go out and back it up especially on a cold December day with snow flurries in the air and a Championship Game on the line with Green Bay as the opponent. Mac was tough. JF was tough. Both could take hits and still perform. Can a kid who played ball OK and SC do the same in the chill of winter in Chicago?

Personality traits can be observed from a distance, but they are nothing more than guesses. What personality traits did you observe that led to the initial skepticism? If it's painting of nails, crying in his mother's arms or anything else, how can you evaluate any personality trait without knowing at the very least the motivation behind those actions?
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’d rather have Caleb and his dad as owners than the McClownskeys