Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

grendel2000 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:28 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:19 pm I heard a rumour Caleb Williams hates threads that go off topic.
You're wrong. That was JF1...

:?
I heard a rumour Caleb Williams can anticipate when a thread will go off topic though.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:32 pm

I heard a rumour Caleb Williams can anticipate when a thread will go off topic though.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:19 pm I heard a rumour Caleb Williams hates threads that go off topic.

JF1 was always so good at Returning them to the proper path.
Noots
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:25 am I always thought that shotgun was the best way to buy extra time for the QB and avoid sacks?
The dreaded magic shotgun to avoid sacks. IMHO, the best way to avoid the sacks is to run the ball, with the QB taking snaps under center. Passing game is 3 and 5 step drops, getting the ball out quickly. Means the QB needs to read the D before the snap, maybe use motion for keys, and get the ball out at the top of his drop. EK’s one magic season, where he threw a ton of 3 step slants (remember when we used to run them?), was largely under center. I’m pretty sure he was sacked 15 times in 16 games through 522 attempts. And I don’t think you’d ever see Kramer beat anyone in a foot race. And I don’t believe that OL was laden with pro bowlers.
docc
Head Coach

..maybe Shotgun and Kramer in the same sentence is bad juju..but he survived ..
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:34 am ..maybe Shotgun and Kramer in the same sentence is bad juju..but he survived ..
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The kid is really going all out to impress off the field as well as on it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

He’s doing everything right. I’ve been thinking about it, and if I could roll back the clock and change things back to the plan I was advocating for all off season - I wouldn’t do it. Now that I can see Poles plan take shape, I’ve had a change of heart. We are in a great position as a franchise - Poles is the man
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:31 pm

The kid is really going all out to impress off the field as well as on it.
OK seriously you cannot post a video like that which shows a hot brunette with a nick rack and then have the actual video be a Sausage Fest that occurs in a radio studio.

As it relates to Caleb's personality, yes, we SORELY need a charismatic figure and that this person is a QB is a bonus.

What Caleb needs to be careful with is to not believe his own press. He's got to go out there and perform. If he sucks this whole thing will blow up.

It is nice to see him engaged in the broader community and with his teammates, but he's got to win on Sundays.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:10 pm He’s doing everything right. I’ve been thinking about it, and if I could roll back the clock and change things back to the plan I was advocating for all off season - I wouldn’t do it. Now that I can see Poles plan take shape, I’ve had a change of heart. We are in a great position as a franchise - Poles is the man
Without knowing the trade offers Poles received we will never know.

I do agree that we are in a great situation. This is the most excited I've been in an offseason since we signed Julius Peppers.
malk
Head Coach

Aw man. I miss all the music bit and the moment has passed. It'd feel weird to go ahead with a list of band that even their parents haven't heard of...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From a Sun Times article:
For now, Williams is still in the honeymoon phase where everything is beautiful. And even with his football standing undefined, there is something about him that makes him different. Minutes after he was drafted, he invented the “Bear Claw” — a simple, on-brand hand gesture that had people wondering, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

He’s a big hit wherever he goes — Wrigley Field, the Sky game, at Old Crow Smokehouse in Wrigleyville — and every story is a good one, like staying at Top Golf until 1 a.m. to compete with Cole Kmet and other teammates.

“Great competitor,” guard Teven Jenkins said. “A guy who is willing to absorb all knowledge no matter what facet he’s dealing with.

“And just a great overall dude. I met him at dinner. It was really nice of him to go out of his way. We were having dinner off to the side and he came over and said hi to us. Because you’re like, ‘We don’t want to bother Caleb. He’s here and having his own dinner.’ He came over and said hi to my wife and introduced himself to my wife. I thought that was really cool of him.”

Williams has created excitement and a sense of anticipation on both sides of the ball. Even after an eventful offseason, training camp can’t get here soon enough.

“I like him a lot,” cornerback Kyler Gordon said. “His arm talent shows immediately. He’s very poised. He’s just learning every single day, chipping away and slowly getting better — and we’re all surrounding him. He’s young … but he holds himself nice. I’m excited to see him play.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... ing-moment
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:49 am Aw man. I miss all the music bit and the moment has passed. It'd feel weird to go ahead with a list of band that even their parents haven't heard of...
Do it if you want. This football shit is boring. LOL. :)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Can you do it in a thread not about our QB then?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:12 pm From a Sun Times article:
For now, Williams is still in the honeymoon phase where everything is beautiful. And even with his football standing undefined, there is something about him that makes him different. Minutes after he was drafted, he invented the “Bear Claw” — a simple, on-brand hand gesture that had people wondering, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

He’s a big hit wherever he goes — Wrigley Field, the Sky game, at Old Crow Smokehouse in Wrigleyville — and every story is a good one, like staying at Top Golf until 1 a.m. to compete with Cole Kmet and other teammates.

“Great competitor,” guard Teven Jenkins said. “A guy who is willing to absorb all knowledge no matter what facet he’s dealing with.

“And just a great overall dude. I met him at dinner. It was really nice of him to go out of his way. We were having dinner off to the side and he came over and said hi to us. Because you’re like, ‘We don’t want to bother Caleb. He’s here and having his own dinner.’ He came over and said hi to my wife and introduced himself to my wife. I thought that was really cool of him.”

Williams has created excitement and a sense of anticipation on both sides of the ball. Even after an eventful offseason, training camp can’t get here soon enough.

“I like him a lot,” cornerback Kyler Gordon said. “His arm talent shows immediately. He’s very poised. He’s just learning every single day, chipping away and slowly getting better — and we’re all surrounding him. He’s young … but he holds himself nice. I’m excited to see him play.”

I love hearing how much the team has embraces Caleb. He seems to be all in and I don't remember a Bears QB ever acting like this. Was this how McMahon was?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:45 am
dplank wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:10 pm He’s doing everything right. I’ve been thinking about it, and if I could roll back the clock and change things back to the plan I was advocating for all off season - I wouldn’t do it. Now that I can see Poles plan take shape, I’ve had a change of heart. We are in a great position as a franchise - Poles is the man
Without knowing the trade offers Poles received we will never know.

I do agree that we are in a great situation. This is the most excited I've been in an offseason since we signed Julius Peppers.
This is easily the most excited I've been aince before the 06 season. Devin Hester is my favorite player of all time and I loved him with my Canes so I was pretty amped up that year after we drafted him. This year is on par with that.

And you were totally right, we needed a player with some swag and personality. Its amazing how different it is with Caleb in that regard vs Mitch, Justin, Jay, etc. Caleb's so much more comfortable with the camera and spotlight. I like that. Alot
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

He better be good. Otherwise, in retrospect all of this shit is going to seem pretty silly. Good Lord please be good Caleb!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Time to hear from the man himself:

(Probably best if TMP doesn't watch this. Caleb refers to anticipation twice!)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:15 pm Time to hear from the man himself:

Would you also be willing to warn me the next time you post a video with a hot woman on the tile photo, but then it winds up a Sausage Fest?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:59 am

He better be good. Otherwise, in retrospect all of this shit is going to seem pretty silly. Good Lord please be good Caleb!
Take deep breaths.

Caleb is going to be fine. He's surrounded by several high performing skill players on offense and the defense should be above average at the worst. Then the punter. This is an odd thing to be happy about but the punter will actually help.

I've been trying to figure out numbers for Caleb all damn spring and soon to be summer. Having an exciting team to be proud of with high expectations is a lot of work.

I like to think he cracks 4,000 yards. That's in the neighborhood of 250 yards per game. If I get a TD to INT ratio of 2:1 out of him so like 30 and 15 I'd be elated.

Just know that he's going to do stupid shit. He will revert to Hero Ball from time to time and either throw a dumb ass pick or get knocked into next week by some 300 pound DL. If we keep that in mind and grade him on a curve as a rookie I think we'll be happy.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:34 pm Would you also be willing to warn me the next time you post a video with a hot woman on the tile photo, but then it winds up a Sausage Fest?
Nope because I just share videos I've watched about the Bears that others may enjoy rather than concern myself with whether said videos are going to contribute to your personal wank bank! :-P
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:15 pm Time to hear from the man himself:

I watched the video.

The whole anticipation thing is a buzzword. I suppose it's a fancy term for route timing and things like that.

However all of the work he's getting in with the offense is massively important whether it's against our defense or not. I do believe that OTAs matter especially in the case of rookies. Get them in and get them some work.

Gosh I would love to know how Caleb spreads the ball around. Not knowing how these practices are structured is he told to throw it to DJ on a certain play to get DJ work or is it up to Caleb and he's allowed to read things? That's going to be the big thing I'm looking at in the preseason games. Who gets how many targets and what's the disparity amongst the WRs and why? My main concern about Caleb, and admittedly I have no basis for this at all, is that he's going to play favorites.

The Top Golf comments about Kmet were pretty funny.

Seriously, he either should not be wearing the hat or he should be wearing it tilted up. He's the most important person in Chicago sports and he'll be a national figure soon enough. People need to see his face.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Shit like this is getting me unreasonably excited because, look at how fast that release is, coupled with how much touch he put on the ball there. It was talked about in the lead up to drafting him, but every throw they've shown us from OTA's has been at a different speed, he really is excellent at changing that up as necessary without slowing down his release or fucking up his accuracy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Some really good buzzwords today.

Fast release.
Lower half being thicker and stronger.

Adds to the portfolio of balls, feet and sacks.

Thank you all.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:55 am Some really good buzzwords today.

Fast release.
Lower half being thicker and stronger.

Adds to the portfolio of balls, feet and sacks.

Thank you all.
Here's some more great buzzwords:
-football
-cleats
-field (settle down, i'm not trying to talk about Justin)
-quarterback
-practice

If any of these confuse you, do not be afraid to ask about them. This is an inclusive place where there's no dumb questions.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:39 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:59 am

Take deep breaths.

Caleb is going to be fine. He's surrounded by several high performing skill players on offense and the defense should be above average at the worst. Then the punter. This is an odd thing to be happy about but the punter will actually help.

I've been trying to figure out numbers for Caleb all damn spring and soon to be summer. Having an exciting team to be proud of with high expectations is a lot of work.

I like to think he cracks 4,000 yards. That's in the neighborhood of 250 yards per game. If I get a TD to INT ratio of 2:1 out of him so like 30 and 15 I'd be elated.

Just know that he's going to do stupid shit. He will revert to Hero Ball from time to time and either throw a dumb ass pick or get knocked into next week by some 300 pound DL. If we keep that in mind and grade him on a curve as a rookie I think we'll be happy.
The punter will do a fine job holding on PATs. That will be sole job this year. We will score a TD on every possession with CW as our QB.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:41 pm We will score a TD on every possession with CW as our QB.

Thank god - because when the Packers score 17 points apparently scoring on every possession is the only way to beat them
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:41 pm
The punter will do a fine job holding on PATs. That will be sole job this year. We will score a TD on every possession with CW as our QB.
hell, some possessions, we might even score twice.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:41 pm The punter will do a fine job holding on PATs. That will be sole job this year. We will score a TD on every possession with CW as our QB.
Whatever makes you think they'll be kicking PATs? With Caleb they'll be making 2pt conversions after every TD. They will indeed score twice, not only on some but on all possessions. It will be known as the 62 offense.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:23 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:41 pm The punter will do a fine job holding on PATs. That will be sole job this year. We will score a TD on every possession with CW as our QB.
Whatever makes you think they'll be kicking PATs? With Caleb they'll be making 2pt conversions after every TD. They will indeed score twice, not only on some but on all possessions. It will be known as the 62 offense.
What do you propose we do with Cairo then?