Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:28 am
His dad as his “agent” still gives me some pause. Not enough to pass on him but I do worry this contract and especially his second one could be a shit show to work out.
One of my favorite Bear-isms is worrying about how expensive a player's next contract is going to be.
I hope his extension costs $75 million per year.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Why are we having angst over a second QB contract that is like five years away?

The best problem we could possibly have is for CW to royally kick some ass and we pay him some record setting extension.
Bearfacts
MVP

The kid hasn't even been drafted yet let alone signed his first contract so let's worry about his 2nd contract in 2027. From the sound of it his father sounds like he's just being a father and not any tougher to deal with than an agent whose paid to serve his clients best interests.

What we know so far is that CW's contract will be around $38.5-$39.5 mil for four years 100% guaranteed. The amount of signing bonus and annual salaries are also proscribed by the rookie scale so there's not much to negotiate assuming his contract is like the one every other player will sign.

Whatever earlier rumors had to say about all of this or CW being a "diva" seem to have been dispelled and Poles and Co are satisfied he's their guy. Now all we have to do is wait for around 7:00 PM on Draft Night for it to be made official. In the meantime we can keep debating what to do at #9.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:15 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:28 am

His dad as his “agent” still gives me some pause. Not enough to pass on him but I do worry this contract and especially his second one could be a shit show to work out.

But I also think having gone through all the NIL it could be a breeze. They could realize the NFL is “very nice” but the biggest payday comes from being successful and cashing in with endorsements (see Mannings). So they could come from the Brady camp and realizing they don’t have to be the highest paid in the NFL to make a ton of money. Take a bit below “market value” have the team invest that around you, win a ton and cash in then.

Don’t know how the team would be able to vet that aspect and not come across as turds.
The rookie contract is locked in by postition. As Rusty says, though, it will be a nice problem for the Bears to actually have to negotiate a 2nd contract for a QB.
This whole thing was debated a while back.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:12 pm This whole thing was debated a while back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:30 pm
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 am

One of my favorite Bear-isms is worrying about how expensive a player's next contract is going to be.
When would it happen? 2029? 2030?

Don’t take my numbers uber-seriously but Burrow is at like $65M and Herbert is $56.6M. Mahomes is almost $46M.

You might not be that far off.

With the way league revenue and the cap is going if CW takes care of business he could be the first $100M guy.

And the Bears would have to pay him. There’s no way they let that guy go if he’s as advertised.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:10 am

Don’t take my numbers uber-seriously but Burrow is at like $65M and Herbert is $56.6M. Mahomes is almost $46M.

With the way league revenue and the cap is going if CW takes care of business he could be the first $100M guy.

And the Bears would have to pay him. There’s no way they let that guy go if he’s as advertised.
I agree.

Although there is a universe out there, probably many many many of them, where Williams is the guy as advertised and the Bears fuck it up and let him walk.

If he ends up being the goods, they have to pay him, and hopefully they will. In that scenario Williams absolutely is going to shoot for something unprecedented.
wulfy
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:36 pm The kid hasn't even been drafted yet let alone signed his first contract so let's worry about his 2nd contract in 2027. From the sound of it his father sounds like he's just being a father and not any tougher to deal with than an agent whose paid to serve his clients best interests.

What we know so far is that CW's contract will be around $38.5-$39.5 mil for four years 100% guaranteed. The amount of signing bonus and annual salaries are also proscribed by the rookie scale so there's not much to negotiate assuming his contract is like the one every other player will sign.

Whatever earlier rumors had to say about all of this or CW being a "diva" seem to have been dispelled and Poles and Co are satisfied he's their guy. Now all we have to do is wait for around 7:00 PM on Draft Night for it to be made official. In the meantime we can keep debating what to do at #9.
I had a boss who would call that a "High Rent Problem".

It's like bitching about the price of gas you are putting in your Ferrari.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears fans..........................
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

To be fair, its been pretty clear to some(not me I was a late comer) that Williams will be the pick ages ago. There's only so many times we can say the same things about him. I am all for someone posting another highlight clip if that is a better topic
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:35 am

I agree.

Although there is a universe out there, probably many many many of them, where Williams is the guy as advertised and the Bears fuck it up and let him walk.

If he ends up being the goods, they have to pay him, and hopefully they will. In that scenario Williams absolutely is going to shoot for something unprecedented.
If CW is that 15 year franchise guy who produces at a top level there is no way they would let him go. Even if all they do is pay CW and then pull an Aaron Rodgers where they never build around him they will want their marquee QB for the name.

The Bears would never recover as a franchise if they let a guy like that walk.
wulfy
MVP

What you don't want to do is find yourself over-paying for a Daniel Jones/Russ Wilson/Kyler Murray .... or, sigh, even a Justin Fields. (Still love him, but I am logical).
dplank
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:18 am What you don't want to do is find yourself over-paying for a Daniel Jones/Russ Wilson/Kyler Murray .... or, sigh, even a Justin Fields. (Still love him, but I am logical).
6M is overpaying for JF1?

We don't know what his next deal would have looked like, it always felt like a big red herring argument when people would say "you don't want to pay JF1 40-50M!" - the statement is true, I wouldn't pay him 40-50M either, but it's based on a false premise. For all we know his next deal might be 15M per, and he could be undervalued. If he took off and played great and then his price was actually that high, well, that would have been a fine outcome also. But this sentiment that at his current play he'd demand that type of salary was always logically incorrect IMO.

For those of us that wanted to keep him another year, it was based on the 6M price and the possibility that he'd take off and increase his overall value (either for us or trade). We basically gave him away for nothing, which I still feel was the wrong move. I just disagree with the locker room aspect being the reason for not keeping him and drafting CW.
Bearfacts
MVP

wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:49 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:36 pm The kid hasn't even been drafted yet let alone signed his first contract so let's worry about his 2nd contract in 2027. From the sound of it his father sounds like he's just being a father and not any tougher to deal with than an agent whose paid to serve his clients best interests.

I had a boss who would call that a "High Rent Problem".

It's like bitching about the price of gas you are putting in your Ferrari.
Yeah, I only wish. All I could afford was a Lamborghini. LOL
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:34 am
wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:18 am What you don't want to do is find yourself over-paying for a Daniel Jones/Russ Wilson/Kyler Murray .... or, sigh, even a Justin Fields. (Still love him, but I am logical).

We don't know what his next deal would have looked like, it always felt like a big red herring argument when people would say "you don't want to pay JF1 40-50M!" - the statement is true, I wouldn't pay him 40-50M either, but it's based on a false premise. For all we know his next deal might be 15M per, and he could be undervalued. If he took off and played great and then his price was actually that high, well, that would have been a fine outcome also. But this sentiment that at his current play he'd demand that type of salary was always logically incorrect IMO.

For those of us that wanted to keep him another year, it was based on the 6M price and the possibility that he'd take off and increase his overall value (either for us or trade). We basically gave him away for nothing, which I still feel was the wrong move. I just disagree with the locker room aspect being the reason for not keeping him and drafting CW.
The more I thought about it from JF's perspective the easier it became to accept. No one spends their first overall pick on a QB they don't expect to become the starter. So Justin would've played every game with the monkey of CW on his back. That wouldn't have been fair to either guy. It might have worked if Poles had traded the pick and then taken a QB later on but not with a first overall pick.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

And that is the hope, that CW is the real deal and he costs a super high amount to keep past his rookie deal.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:25 am

And that is the hope, that CW is the real deal and he costs a super high amount to keep past his rookie deal.
Championships would be required for this IMO.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:06 am

The more I thought about it from JF's perspective the easier it became to accept. No one spends their first overall pick on a QB they don't expect to become the starter. So Justin would've played every game with the monkey of CW on his back. That wouldn't have been fair to either guy. It might have worked if Poles had traded the pick and then taken a QB later on but not with a first overall pick.
I'm fine with all of it now that time has passed, I just never liked the logic of that contract argument that was oft mentioned in the pre-trade JF1 war era.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:25 am

If he is playing like a top QB and in the hunt, that’s good enough for me.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:35 am

Not me. Saying we don't want a Daniel Jones contract is easy and obviously correct. But what about Justin Herbert? Or Dak Prescott? Those are anchors that are holding those teams back, and while the QBs are good they aren't "Mahomes good" and able to carry an otherwise flawed team to a SB.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:21 pm

Not me. Saying we don't want a Daniel Jones contract is easy and obviously correct. But what about Justin Herbert? Or Dak Prescott? Those are anchors that are holding those teams back, and while the QBs are good they aren't "Mahomes good" and able to carry an otherwise flawed team to a SB.
Agree to disagree. Sustained success and in the hunt continuously is my mark I want.
wab
Mod

If you are using Mahomes as the benchmark, there's a pretty good chance you are going to be disappointed.

IMO his potential is prime Russell Wilson.

As far as Herbert goes...he is an exceptional QB that is (was) being held back by piss poor coaching. Dak is a bad example, because he's not really that good (and everyone knows it)...but Jerry thinks the world of him and is loyal to the guy to the detriment of his team.
wulfy
MVP

No one was worried about the $6M - it's the long term contract that would ensue. If JF's next contract would get be $15M ... guess what? He sucks.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:36 pm

No one was worried about the $6M - it's the long term contract that would ensue. If JF's next contract would get be $15M ... guess what? He sucks.
If that was the outcome, guess what? I wouldn’t pay him 15M either. The point is that for 6M we could have found out. Everything else is conjecture.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:35 pm

If you are using Mahomes as the benchmark, there's a pretty good chance you are going to be disappointed.

IMO his potential is prime Russell Wilson.

As far as Herbert goes...he is an exceptional QB that is (was) being held back by piss poor coaching. Dak is a bad example, because he's not really that good (and everyone knows it)...but Jerry thinks the world of him and is loyal to the guy to the detriment of his team.
Kellen Moore is piss poor coaching? What’s Getsy then lol…. The point I’m making is there are many levels here, not just the obvious Jones example that is bad or Mahomes/Brady example that is good. Russ, for example, won a Super Bowl. Herbert is vastly overrated IMO and falls into that category of Cousins - puts up numbers just to lose at the end of the day. Those are the hard choices. So if CW is putting up numbers but we aren’t winning a SB, I’m not setting the market with his contract.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Saw a really good article about Williams and NIL. This is the first generation of college players where we already know what they are going to act like after getting paid. There will be no mystery about Caleb Williams and how he will handle a new NFL contract. There will be less pressure, because he already knows what it's like to get paid for playing football.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

There are lots of reasons why teams do or do not win championships. We’ll all watch the games and we will know if CW is putting up the numbers and we lose because the defense sucks or some other reason.

I wouldn’t have a championship as a strict criteria as to whether or not to keep CW.

Now obviously if we win one and CW is SB MVP, the guy will get paid like nobody’s business.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Williams has said he models his game after Aaron Rodgers and I have heard that comparison more than once.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pe ... r-AA1ibXKF

But if he truly wants to win multiple championships, he is going to have to learn to model his financial strategy more after Tom Brady than Russell Wilson.
My understanding is that Brady was happy to trade some money for rings, whereas Wilson shook the owners' pockets for loose change.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:30 am
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:06 am

I'm fine with all of it now that time has passed, I just never liked the logic of that contract argument that was oft mentioned in the pre-trade JF1 war era.
I felt the same way initially but once I distanced myself from it emotionally I could see why the money factor played a role in the decision as it did. While I agree that we could've tried offering JF a one year extension for less than the cost of his 5th year option like GB did with Love that only works if JF agrees to it and not at all if Poles had already decided to draft CW. That was only gonna work if Poles traded the top pick and took a QB later in round one or early round two who would not come in as the starter in 2024.

I also don't believe a short extension would've helped his trade value. It would need to be guaranteed money we'd pay much of upfront or if it's in his salary or a 2025 roster bonus whoever traded for him gets hung with it. Initially I thought the rumors of JF going to ATL made the most sense and would probably have brought the highest trade value. If ATL traded for him it was to be their starter. But when they signed Cousins that whole deal was blown up if there was ever any substance to it anyway.

The bottom line is that JF himself did not show enough for us to pass on drafting CW and apparently other teams were also unsure of what they could expect from him. In another year when there were fewer QB draft prospects and fewer experienced vets available in FA it may have worked out better for the Bears but not this year and once Poles was committed to drafting CW moving JF had to be done. Keeping him around for another year was not good for him or for us.
IotaNet
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:39 pm … The bottom line is that JF himself did not show enough for us to pass on drafting CW …
This is it in a nutshell.

It would be different if CW were not such a highly regarded prospect. Whether or not you agree with the “generational” tag, CW is just too good to pass on.

I’m the world’s biggest tOSU fanboy and I love Fields but it would take a pretty danged good incumbent QB for a team to pass on Williams. And to your point, he had multiple opportunities last season to prove that he was the goods and he came up short.

Even so, with all that said, I would ask this question: How many NFL teams would keep their current QB over the opportunity to draft Williams?

Not very many, I would wager.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell