Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:42 pm
Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

So Caleb experienced adversity because he didn't start as a Freshman, he got a hammy, and he finished 7-5 in his last year? I think Caleb's defon of "adversity" greatly differs from mine. Rusty's take makes sense to me. Sure, I'll accept that--the adversity caused from a porous offensive line. But Caleb's listed issues? Seems pretty weak to me.

Maybe he should make a visit to see Mongo or have a talk with Nate Davis.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:50 pm I wanted to give Fields the reps day 1 because I wanted him to start. I did not want Andy Dalton. I have since changed my opinion on starting rookie QBs, in part due to what we did to Fields which was criminal. That thought was bolstered by Mahomes and Love showing out the way they have. I’ll just keep pointing back to Mahomes, Rodgers, and Love as examples where the heir apparent QB was drafted but not started, it can absolutely be done.
But has it ever been done when the incoming QB is the first overall pick and has it ever been done when the incumbent QB is still on his own rookie deal?

And has it ever been done when there is a new OC introducing a new offensive scheme?

One of the key benefits of sitting a QB is that he gets time to learn an established offense whilst shadowing an experienced veteran who knows that system well, understands the NFL and has already secured his financial future. None of this would have been the case if the Bears had kept Fields.

Once the decision had been made to move on a clean break was ultimately in the best interests of the team and in all honesty was best for Fields. We often bemoan how the Bears drafted Trubisky and Fields for lame duck coaches, well how would it be for Fields to know that he was a lame duck QB? He's looking to earn his big payday and his sole focus would rightly have been on himself and his future, not in anyway supporting Williams knowing he was about to take his place in Chicago.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:01 pm
Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

So Caleb experienced adversity because he didn't start as a Freshman, he got a hammy, and he finished 7-5 in his last year? I think Caleb's defon of "adversity" greatly differs from mine. Rusty's take makes sense to me. Sure, I'll accept that--the adversity caused from a porous offensive line. But Caleb's listed issues? Seems pretty weak to me.

But I think it’s “football adversity” that they are talking about. That said what adversity did McElroy face in college? Lost 3 games on a sacked roster.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:01 pm Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

Out of interest, how many highly ranked QB prospects be said to have experienced adversity? Don't they all pretty much enjoy success at the college level? Isn't that why they're drafted high? What sort of adversity are they likely to have faced in their young, and let's face it pampered, lives? What adversity would satisfy Greg McElroy? The loss of a close family member? Having to overcome a serious illness to keep playing?

I'm genuinely curious why having to only face limited adversity should be a concern against Williams as opposed to any other QB in this draft or any other. Personally I'd be far more concerned by him having an injury history like Penix than I would be regarding any perception about his ability to handle adversity.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

Yeah, but if you choose to define adversity like that, then that's a criticism of like 98% of the kids getting drafted. And then, what's the point? "I'm unsure of Caleb Williams as a prospect because he's never had a terminal illness."
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:35 pm

Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

Yeah, but if you choose to define adversity like that, then that's a criticism of like 98% of the kids getting drafted. And then, what's the point? "I'm unsure of Caleb Williams as a prospect because he's never had a terminal illness."
Yes - that is what hes going with.

Presumably there is some wiggle room if it's merely autoimmune
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

Actually, probably the best answer would have been, "no, no real adversity. I've been pretty blessed." I don't even know what adversity has to do with his play at QB. Kind of stupid anyway. But if you want to look at real adversity, let's talk about Mongo and how he's struggled through this, or talk about losing a member of the family like Davis did, or how about all the adversity other players have faced growing up, like Tariq Cohen. Or just avoid the topic altogether.

This, "I've experienced adversity because I didn't start as a freshman, or I pulled a hammy, or I only finished 7-5 my final year seems pretty silly to me.t I actually think your original point made the most sense, but you really don't want to throw your teammates under the bus like that. So maybe just don't say anything about it at all. I'm not saying he's a horrible person for saying what he said, just that it was kind of silly and stupid.

Here, wait. I gotta stop now. I'm just choking up because poor Caleb didn't start as a freshman. It's just too much for me to handle....
dplank
Hall of Famer

I hope he has zero adversity in Chicago! 🐻 ⬇️
docc
Head Coach

...or he lost a leg or arm...and overcame. Knew a kid on our high school baseball team
.lost both legs and arms.
So we had him play 3rd base..

Now that kid overcame adversity..
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Saw a guy at my old gym who lost both legs to his knees and both arms to his elbows. He was there every day working out. Pretty amazing and inspiring.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:15 pm Saw a guy at my old gym who lost both legs to his knees and both arms to his elbows. He was there every day working out. Pretty amazing and inspiring.
Well we still have the #1 pick!

In all seriousness, what a dumbass take by that commentator. That you can’t be sure of drafting players unless they’ve experienced adversity. I’m surprised Caleb responded.

Poles is sure, as are most of the GMs and scouts. Just this one dumbass who isn’t, but then his opinion carries ZERO weight in the real world.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

docc wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:02 pm ...or he lost a leg or arm...and overcame. Knew a kid on our high school baseball team
.lost both legs and arms.
So we had him play 3rd base..

Now that kid overcame adversity..
Groan...
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Caleb's about to be the 1st pick of the draft of the team most historically inept at developing QBs. I'd say he's about to know adversity very well.

Jokes aside, I hate when fans say "oh he didn't lose a leg he didnt face adversity" or shit like that. Same when someone says "I hate so and so player" and someone replies with "I don't hate a player it's too strong a word for a football game". Adversity, hate etc when talked about sports are talked about as happening in the sport. I hate fucking Kirk Cousins. HATE. That means as a football player not a person I don't know the guy. When someone says Caleb overcame adversity in college, we'll he did play for situations not exactly typical for a prospect of his caliber. From the perspective of ultra elite QB prospect, he did face some adversity. We shouldn't have to explain that means on the football field.

As long as Caleb is really bored and firing that off, that's a good thing. About time we have a QB who isn't a fucking boy scout sitting there saying all the perfect answers. Last time we had a QB who spoke his mind and did it his way, he became the best QB in Bears history. The time before that we won a Super Bowl. Caleb's gonna be both
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

The whole point of the commentator's comment was that good players find ways to put chips on their shoulder by creating a sense of being disrespected. They invent or imagine adversity to motivate themselves...that's literally what the speaker is saying Caleb hasn't done and that is literally what Caleb is doing by feeling a need to posting a reply.

Anyway... this whole thing is so stupid. What was Andrew Luck's adversity? Payton Manning's? I would argue that there is a lot more negativity against Caleb in the public eye than there is against most consensus #1 picks.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Kaiser wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:07 am The whole point of the commentator's comment was that good players find ways to put chips on their shoulder by creating a sense of being disrespected. They invent or imagine adversity to motivate themselves...that's literally what the speaker is saying Caleb hasn't done and that is literally what Caleb is doing by feeling a need to posting a reply.

Anyway... this whole thing is so stupid. What was Andrew Luck's adversity? Payton Manning's? I would argue that there is a lot more negativity against Caleb in the public eye than there is against most consensus #1 picks.
Peyton had to deal with spelling his name wrong :D

But this is true. I don't know another top QB who has to defend their body image like Caleb does. Just wait til that section of the fan base sees him in a Chicago Bears dress. That's gonna weigh on someone mentally even if they handle it as well as Caleb does.

Also unimportant topics like this are how we are getting to 100 pages before he's drafted. 100 pages = 100% certainty he's a Hall of Famer. If we fail then he fails, its our fault. It is known
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:07 am The whole point of the commentator's comment was that good players find ways to put chips on their shoulder by creating a sense of being disrespected. They invent or imagine adversity to motivate themselves...that's literally what the speaker is saying Caleb hasn't done and that is literally what Caleb is doing by feeling a need to posting a reply.

Even the concept of "a chip on your shoulder" is meatball nonsense though. Either you're the type of athlete who is wired to be motivated to always be bettering yourself, or you arent, and to try and ascribe some specific slight or nonsense to explain that away is just dumb football fandom.
UOK
Site Admin

Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

That's a bit of a stretch. I think the context here was strictly football, in which case Williams has a bit of a leg to stand on.

Either way, I don't care if the guy is an entitled turd. If he wins and dominates, I could give a damn.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

If that was his point, then I think CW responded when the bell was rung.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:35 pm

Actually, probably the best answer would have been, "no, no real adversity. I've been pretty blessed." I don't even know what adversity has to do with his play at QB. Kind of stupid anyway. But if you want to look at real adversity, let's talk about Mongo and how he's struggled through this, or talk about losing a member of the family like Davis did, or how about all the adversity other players have faced growing up, like Tariq Cohen. Or just avoid the topic altogether.

This, "I've experienced adversity because I didn't start as a freshman, or I pulled a hammy, or I only finished 7-5 my final year seems pretty silly to me.t I actually think your original point made the most sense, but you really don't want to throw your teammates under the bus like that. So maybe just don't say anything about it at all. I'm not saying he's a horrible person for saying what he said, just that it was kind of silly and stupid.

Here, wait. I gotta stop now. I'm just choking up because poor Caleb didn't start as a freshman. It's just too much for me to handle....
I agree that not responding to stupid crap is a far better route to take. But players today (and some around here :evilgrin: ) simply can't help themselves.

From today's players, I think it could be they simply want to be in the headlines. Getting noticed more could result in more money via endorsements.
Bearfacts
MVP

Yup, and there has been all along. You name it and someone brought it up. All of it got picked apart once Poles traded JF and made it obvious he was drafting CW. The talking heads had to drop all of their diva and character issues stuff because they all know how methodical and thorough Poles is when evaluating players. He wouldn't risk that pick on anyone with major character issues.

So what negative stuff is left? Oh yeah. Well he's never faced adversity! Gimme a break. Most highly drafted QB come from winning college programs. That's part of what makes them highly prized picks to begin with. Against a backdrop of CW being called another Luck or Mahomes and a "generational talent" are those who are gonna take on a more negative side and work that in.

While it may not be 100% invalid they're making a much bigger deal out of it than they should.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:18 am

Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

That's a bit of a stretch. I think the context here was strictly football, in which case Williams has a bit of a leg to stand on.

Either way, I don't care if the guy is an entitled turd. If he wins and dominates, I could give a damn.
This is such a massive nothing burger...he was obviously talking about football adversity, not personal. I lump it in with the folks who complain when fans say stuff like "WE won!", and argue that WE doesn't apply because fans aren't on the team. People really are intent on dragging this kid down for some reason...jealousy is the most likely culprit IMO.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:35 pm

If not getting enough in a trade for our Ex-QB "traumatizes" NFL Players - really hard to see how Caleb's examples aren't basically Nam
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:12 am This is such a massive nothing burger...
Agreed.

dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:04 am
dplank wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:12 am This is such a massive nothing burger...
Agreed.

Oh man....I absolutely loved that movie
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

All right, who predicts we will be at 150+ pages before the regular season starts?
LacertineForest
MVP

wab
Mod

Wow. I'm sorry, but Wow.

I mean I get you don't like the kid, and that's perfectly fine, but just because he doesn't have ALS doesn't mean he hasn't faced adversity as a football player.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

What make you think I don't like him? Because I thought that it was a pretty fucking silly and stupid response? Because I didn't want Justin traded for a sixth round draft pick?

In fact, I like him a lot, particularly now that he's going to be a Bear. But saying you faced adversity because you didn't start as a Fresman, or that you had a hammy, or that your team last year finished 7-5 is just stupid.
Chifaninca
Journeyman

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:52 pm What make you think I don't like him? Because I thought that it was a pretty fucking silly and stupid response? Because I didn't want Justin traded for a sixth round draft pick?

In fact, I like him a lot, particularly now that he's going to be a Bear. But saying you faced adversity because you didn't start as a Fresman, or that you had a hammy, or that your team last year finished 7-5 is just stupid.
I get what people are trying to say... but answering idiots usually gets idiotic responses and disappointment from those wanting to see it their way.

This is hardly anything to give time to and that is where Caleb should just ignore it.

You don't have to respond to every Queen Latifah Pic posted...but the temptation is there.

As for his response, his point, as someone who watched every game was/should have been clearer - USC was not Georgia/Ohio State where they could show up and win most games by taking the field. He had to earn everything, overcome injuries and disappointments...let alone a GOD AWFUL Defense that never took the field with anything beyond Pop Warner effort.

The point McCrap was making was... McCrap needed attention as we've all forgotten about him...so make stupid points about the #1 pick and see if people, including Caleb bite...he did and others did too.

Once the draft is over, the real work and critiques begin and there will be substance as the games are played...not conjecture and click baits
Noots
Assistant Coach

Adversity? I actually want to say FUCK YOU to adversity. This is haters gonna hate, you know why?

You want a chip on their shoulder? Ok...how about looking at this another way?

This argument was rooted in him having the focus to overcome adversity. How about this--he has MILLIIONS of dollars through NIL money. And he still put up crazy assed numbers in college. I guess you can't have it both ways, right? Cuz if his numbers were bad last year, you could say he stopped playing because he got paid. Well...he's going to be a pro, and make pro money. That shouldn't change a thing right? He's still going to work his ass off to be a great professional and Do The Work needed in spite of already having bank.

Adversity? Fuck adversity. Show me a guy who balls out as a pro with money in his pocket already. Cole Kmet. Montez Sweat. To me, that says a bunch. Unlike say....Eddies Jackson and Goldman, for instance.