Bears New Stadium Nonsense Repository

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears should think big on lakefront domed stadium, state lawmaker says

If the Bears want to make the most of a potential lakefront stadium, a state lawmaker whose district includes Soldier Field wants the team to think big — by using a little-known VIP busway to make the lakefront more accessible and surrounding a new stadium with an entertainment district to attract fans before and after games.

State Rep. Kam Buckner (D-Chicago) has long been idea machine, as demonstrated by the ambitious plans he trotted out during his failed 2023 mayoral campaign.

Now, he’s got a ton of ideas about how to help the Bears finance a new domed stadium that could finally bring a Super Bowl and the NCAA Final Four to Chicago and use that project to solve several longstanding issues: transportation to and along the lakefront; the absence of bars, restaurants and entertainment venues around Soldier Field and the longstanding desire to turn surface parking lots into green space.

The key, Buckner said, is forging a partnership — not just with the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, which financed Soldier Field, but with the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, which has even larger bonding powers.

The governmental agency better known as “McPier” also operates the busway that whisks VIP’s and convention goers to and from McCormick Place.

Buckner thinks the roadway between Randolph Street and McCormick Place that former Mayor Rahm Emanuel dubbed “the Bat Cave” could be used to help make the lakefront more accessible.

"Right now, to get from McCormick Place to Soldier Field to Navy Pier, which should be seamless, is almost impossible,” Buckner told the Sun-Times.

“ I’ve heard folks talk about cable cars, like trolleys, up and down that VIP bus space. Or light rail. I don’t know which one makes sense ... But that has to be part of the conversation if this is gonna move forward.”

“There may be some federal funds that can be leveraged here when it comes to connecting of the lakefront. This is a big, monumental project.”

To entice the Bears to stay in Chicago, a new lakefront stadium — "somewhere between the south parking lot and the McCormick Place East" building — also needs surrounding restaurants, bars and even a hotel, Buckner said.

“What NFL teams have done recently is create a total fan experience outside of a football game. ... Much like the Ricketts family did and I helped them work on with the Wrigley Field project,” said Buckner, who spent three years working for the Cubs.

“Right now, the Bears have a pretty bum deal. They can’t do much to Soldier Field in terms of parking and concessions. ... They can’t make it a total fan experience. A fan experience in Chicago really should be more than walking under Lake Shore Drive in frigid temperatures.”

Forging a partnership with McPier would not only open the door to using the busway, but also unlock the bonding authority to finance a new stadium without forcing state lawmakers to, as Buckner put it, “choose between our children,” referring to the Bears and White Sox.

Those teams both hope to use the limited borrowing power of the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, backed by the same two-percentage-point increase in the hotel tax that financed the Soldier Field renovation.

Buckner does not believe the Lakefront Protection Ordinance would prevent a new lakefront stadium and entertainment district, though Friends of the Parks has vowed the same court fight that prompted movie mogul George Lucas to abandon putting his interactive museum on Lake Michigan and move it to Los Angeles.

That ordinance "says no new private construction east of DuSable Lake Shore Drive," Buckner said. "If the Bears partner with the Chicago Park District and McPier, it would be public construction."

Friends of the Parks Board member Fred Bates said his organization — the top civic line of defense against any lakefront development — is "deeply concerned" about the Bears' potential aspirations near Soldier Field.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/ ... -white-sox
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:34 pm
Bears should think big on lakefront domed stadium, state lawmaker says

If the Bears want to make the most of a potential lakefront stadium, a state lawmaker whose district includes Soldier Field wants the team to think big — by using a little-known VIP busway to make the lakefront more accessible and surrounding a new stadium with an entertainment district to attract fans before and after games.

State Rep. Kam Buckner (D-Chicago) has long been idea machine, as demonstrated by the ambitious plans he trotted out during his failed 2023 mayoral campaign.

Now, he’s got a ton of ideas about how to help the Bears finance a new domed stadium that could finally bring a Super Bowl and the NCAA Final Four to Chicago and use that project to solve several longstanding issues: transportation to and along the lakefront; the absence of bars, restaurants and entertainment venues around Soldier Field and the longstanding desire to turn surface parking lots into green space.

The key, Buckner said, is forging a partnership — not just with the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, which financed Soldier Field, but with the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, which has even larger bonding powers.

The governmental agency better known as “McPier” also operates the busway that whisks VIP’s and convention goers to and from McCormick Place.

Buckner thinks the roadway between Randolph Street and McCormick Place that former Mayor Rahm Emanuel dubbed “the Bat Cave” could be used to help make the lakefront more accessible.

"Right now, to get from McCormick Place to Soldier Field to Navy Pier, which should be seamless, is almost impossible,” Buckner told the Sun-Times.

“ I’ve heard folks talk about cable cars, like trolleys, up and down that VIP bus space. Or light rail. I don’t know which one makes sense ... But that has to be part of the conversation if this is gonna move forward.”

“There may be some federal funds that can be leveraged here when it comes to connecting of the lakefront. This is a big, monumental project.”

To entice the Bears to stay in Chicago, a new lakefront stadium — "somewhere between the south parking lot and the McCormick Place East" building — also needs surrounding restaurants, bars and even a hotel, Buckner said.

“What NFL teams have done recently is create a total fan experience outside of a football game. ... Much like the Ricketts family did and I helped them work on with the Wrigley Field project,” said Buckner, who spent three years working for the Cubs.

“Right now, the Bears have a pretty bum deal. They can’t do much to Soldier Field in terms of parking and concessions. ... They can’t make it a total fan experience. A fan experience in Chicago really should be more than walking under Lake Shore Drive in frigid temperatures.”

Forging a partnership with McPier would not only open the door to using the busway, but also unlock the bonding authority to finance a new stadium without forcing state lawmakers to, as Buckner put it, “choose between our children,” referring to the Bears and White Sox.

Those teams both hope to use the limited borrowing power of the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, backed by the same two-percentage-point increase in the hotel tax that financed the Soldier Field renovation.

Buckner does not believe the Lakefront Protection Ordinance would prevent a new lakefront stadium and entertainment district, though Friends of the Parks has vowed the same court fight that prompted movie mogul George Lucas to abandon putting his interactive museum on Lake Michigan and move it to Los Angeles.

That ordinance "says no new private construction east of DuSable Lake Shore Drive," Buckner said. "If the Bears partner with the Chicago Park District and McPier, it would be public construction."

Friends of the Parks Board member Fred Bates said his organization — the top civic line of defense against any lakefront development — is "deeply concerned" about the Bears' potential aspirations near Soldier Field.

Not sure after reading this article if the Bears or a public agency would own a new stadium. That's a sticking point, the Bears want to control all revenue from a stadium, parking, etc. Also, this would necessitate massive (billions, tens of billions?) of private development surrounding the new stadium. Which is not different from a stadium in AH but this is downtown Chicago, on the lakefront, we're talking about. Lots of political landmines to navigate.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Bearfacts
MVP

I'm just an outta towner fan waiting to find out if it's still gonna be the Chicago Bears, the Arlington Heights Bears, the Napervile Bears or some other suburb whose yet to chime in. A lakefront stadium would be great if they can pull it off.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:44 pm I'm just an outta towner fan waiting to find out if it's still gonna be the Chicago Bears, the Arlington Heights Bears, the Napervile Bears or some other suburb whose yet to chime in. A lakefront stadium would be great if they can pull it off.
There is a town in Illinois named Boody.

I vote that we move the Bears there.

The Boody Bears hss a nice ring to it.

It's only a 2.75 hour drive from Chicago which isn't that far off from the commute time it takes to get from the suburbs to downtown.

As part of my research for this post I was made aware that there is also a town named Bush.

Bush Bears actually sounds much better.

I would like to help redesign the logo if they become the Bush Bears.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Supposedly Warren is preparing a public presentation (not sure to whom, the city, developers, the public?). Domed stadium in the South Lot, infrastructure improvements to surrounding areas. The Bears put up significant amounts of cash but tap available agencies who can issue some bonds. The Bears have retained a bank and legal firm to work on any deals:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... dium-plan/
Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:55 am
Bearfacts wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:44 pm I'm just an outta towner fan waiting to find out if it's still gonna be the Chicago Bears, the Arlington Heights Bears, the Napervile Bears or some other suburb whose yet to chime in. A lakefront stadium would be great if they can pull it off.

It's only a 2.75 hour drive from Chicago which isn't that far off from the commute time it takes to get from the suburbs to downtown.

As part of my research for this post I was made aware that there is also a town named Bush.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A significant development...
Bears would put $2B in private money in publicly owned lakefront stadium under new push

The Chicago Bears have shifted their focus to the parking area south of Soldier Field, their current home, in their quest for a new domed stadium.

There, in a statement released Monday, the team says it will invest more than $2 billion in private money in a publicly-owned stadium and park space.

The plans call for creating nearly 20% more open space than exists now, public plazas compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, more landscaping and plantings and increased public access to the lakefront.

“The Chicago Bears are proud to directly contribute over $2 billion to build a publicly-owned stadium and improve open spaces for all families and fans to enjoy along the museum campus," said Kevin Warren, the team's president and CEO. "The future stadium of the Chicago Bears will bring a transformative opportunity to our region — boosting the economy, creating jobs, and generating millions in tax revenue. We look forward to sharing more information when our plans are finalized.”

But the scant details released so far raise many more questions than they answer about how much the stadium would cost, how it would be financed and how much public money would be needed.

Sources, including legislators, who have been briefed on the Bears' plans say the team also is touting a new poll showing support for a publicly-funded stadium that would keep the team in the city.

The plan also presumes that much of Soldier Field — except the historic colonnades and war memorial — would be torn down to create the additional promised green space, others sources have told the Sun-Times. But where the money for that work would come from is another unanswered question.

Still, the shift in focus from Arlington Heights, where the team purchased the 326-acre site of the old Arlington International Racecourse, is significant.

But there was no mention Monday of how the Bears might hope to develop the land around a new lakefront football stadium — adding bars, restaurants, shops — as the teams has said it would do at the Arlington Heights site.

And perhaps most crucially, there was no mention of how the Bears would fend off a likely court challenge from Friends of the Parks, which has opposed any new building along the lakefront.

The latest news leaves still other questions unanswered:
  • Where is that private money coming from, and how much of it is from the National Football League?
  • Would the team sell naming rights to the new stadium? That wasn’t viable at Soldier Field, given its war memorial status.
  • If bonds are issued to help fund the stadium, which public entity would issue them, and what tax would be used to pay off those bonds?
  • What are the infrastructure costs at the lakefront site?
  • Would public transit along the lakefront be improved to allow better access to the stadium?

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... nding-poll
thefish7
Journeyman

Seems like an easy thing to "leak" to put pressure on Arlington Heights re: tax.
UOK
Site Admin

wulfy
MVP

This is a big mistake for the team - but great news for the City.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thefish7 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:20 pm Seems like an easy thing to "leak" to put pressure on Arlington Heights re: tax.
"The future stadium of the Chicago Bears will bring a transformative opportunity to our region -- boosting the economy, creating jobs, facilitating mega events and generating millions in tax revenue. We look forward to sharing more information when our plans are finalized."

That comment was aimed directly at Arlington Heights...
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:59 am This is a big mistake for the team - but great news for the City.
They haven't broken ground yet. This is still part of the negotiation process with AH.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:09 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:55 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If we're going to move to Bush, IL. Let's change the name of the team to the Maulers.
wulfy
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:40 am
wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:59 am This is a big mistake for the team - but great news for the City.
They haven't broken ground yet. This is still part of the negotiation process with AH.
I think they are done with AH. Arlington Park will be sold to a logistics company or a data center. Sad - was a beautiful race track.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm not sure how to feel about this. It doesn't mean anything, really. Until contracts are signed and ground is broken, this is all blustering.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Big win for the DPlanks of the world that value the unique power of downtown / lakefront views and ambiance. This is a win for the city and the franchise! I can even live with a dome 😂

Thank God for Warren. He saved us from becoming Walmart.
LacertineForest
MVP

I think both scenarios could work out well, but as someone who doesn't get to the city more than a couple times a year at best, I agree with @dplank regarding the location. No matter what happens, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with and enjoying my first game in the new stadium.
wulfy
MVP

I'm a Season Ticket Holder and from where I live, it's 24.8 miles to the Arlington Heights site and 23.2 miles to Soldier Field. So I don't have a horse in the game on getting to the stadium - on a Sunday morning, traffic into the City is fine.

But are they just going to forfeit all that ancillary revenue from the potential AH site? The Chicago site will be owned by the City (the Park District again?) - do they really have such short memories on the gigantic issues they've had with the Park District (and certain mayoral administrations) over the years?

Would love to know how Sweaty Teddy is feeling today. This is a drastic change of events, especially after he convinced the McCaskey Family to spend $200M on the other site.
UOK
Site Admin

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:00 am I'm a Season Ticket Holder and from where I live, it's 24.8 miles to the Arlington Heights site and 23.2 miles to Soldier Field. So I don't have a horse in the game on getting to the stadium - on a Sunday morning, traffic into the City is fine.

But are they just going to forfeit all that ancillary revenue from the potential AH site? The Chicago site will be owned by the City (the Park District again?) - do they really have such short memories on the gigantic issues they've had with the Park District (and certain mayoral administrations) over the years?

Would love to know how Sweaty Teddy is feeling today. This is a drastic change of events, especially after he convinced the McCaskey Family to spend $200M on the other site.
The major benefit of keeping the Bears in the city is the political grease you buy with such a concession. The Bears may owe rent or have whatever other mechanisms in place, but they also have a lot of people in high places with a lot of keys to obnoxiously difficult to access doors. By going to AH the Bears make more money than god, but they make a lot of enemies, too. It's very Dumb Mafia.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I like the proposal but there's a long way to go to bring it to fruition. Overcoming the legal challenges to building on the lake front, which defeated Lucas and his planned museum. The Bears say they will pony up $2B; how much is needed for infrastructure such as better roads, public transportation, etc. around the park. Is the project dependent on getting private contractors to build restaurants, shopping, etc. etc. around the park; what land would be available for this? Who would pay to take down the parts of Soldiers Field which would remain and who would pay for the greening that will part of any plan?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:00 am I'm a Season Ticket Holder and from where I live, it's 24.8 miles to the Arlington Heights site and 23.2 miles to Soldier Field. So I don't have a horse in the game on getting to the stadium - on a Sunday morning, traffic into the City is fine.

Think we just have to wait it out to see details. There are some ideas out there to bring private investment into building over trains/lsd just west of stadium site. Maybe the Bears have their eyes on something like that? Warren's release mentions open space.

Lot of hot takes coming in on the relative value of owning vs leasing, but devil is all in details.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I still say that this is a negotiating tactic. The McCaskey's have seen the revenue that is generated by teams who own their own stadium and land. The naming rights, the lack of red tape in doing anything to it, food and bar revenue, gambling revenue. This is not over by a long shot.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:58 am I still say that this is a negotiating tactic. The McCaskey's have seen the revenue that is generated by teams who own their own stadium and land. The naming rights, the lack of red tape in doing anything to it, food and bar revenue, gambling revenue. This is not over by a long shot.
I agree.

We could all be wrong, but the lakefront site announced doesn't give the Bears any of what they were seeking in AH.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:03 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:58 am I still say that this is a negotiating tactic. The McCaskey's have seen the revenue that is generated by teams who own their own stadium and land. The naming rights, the lack of red tape in doing anything to it, food and bar revenue, gambling revenue. This is not over by a long shot.
I agree.

We could all be wrong, but the lakefront site announced doesn't give the Bears any of what they were seeking in AH.
There's very little announced right now. Owning land/infrastructure directly ain't the only way to make money - terms just have the be right with either method. Bad ownership deals exist (and not the slam dunk that the "Twitter MBAs" will treat it as)

Lakefront gives them a much larger and more native audience. So both have things the other don't.

Connecting to the 78 development and other possible lakefront ideas, there is potential for huge private/public development in the stadium vicinity and Chicago unlike AH has a budget base to theoretically pull from - releasing the team from state negotiations or a small village who can only do so much.
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:22 am Big win for the DPlanks of the world that value the unique power of downtown / lakefront views and ambiance. This is a win for the city and the franchise! I can even live with a dome 😂

Thank God for Warren. He saved us from becoming Walmart.
As a former Chicagoan who still appreciates what a beautiful location a lakefront stadium might be I'm all for it if Warren can pull it off. He kept the stadium in Minneapolis in the downtown area. If the team relocated to Arlington Heights I would miss those incredible shots of the skyline during nationally televised night games. It's a unique setting. Arlington is not.
Bearfacts
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:38 am I like the proposal but there's a long way to go to bring it to fruition. Overcoming the legal challenges to building on the lake front, which defeated Lucas and his planned museum. The Bears say they will pony up $2B; how much is needed for infrastructure such as better roads, public transportation, etc. around the park. Is the project dependent on getting private contractors to build restaurants, shopping, etc. etc. around the park; what land would be available for this? Who would pay to take down the parts of Soldiers Field which would remain and who would pay for the greening that will part of any plan?
Good questions but they did it here in Denver where they had to tear down not one but two sports venues to keep Mile High pretty much where it always was. By placing Light Rail along a specific corridor all three major sports venues are served by it with just short walking distances from the stop to the stadiums. That's served to reduce traffic congestion and the need for more parking.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears urged to consider Michael Reese hospital site for domed stadium to avoid lakefront legal battle

Friends of the Parks urged the Bears on Monday to consider building a domed stadium on the old Michael Reese Hospital site to avoid a legal battle akin to the fight that stopped filmmaker George Lucas from building a movie museum on the same site.

One day after the Bears offered to spend $2 billion in private money to help build a publicly-owned domed stadium south of Soldier Field, Friends of the Parks board member Fred Bates was not appeased by the team’s sketchy promise to create nearly 20% more open space, presumably by carefully demolishing Soldier Field while preserving its war memorial and historic colonnades.

Friends of the Parks needs a better understanding of what exactly the Bears propose, how they plan to pay for it and what, if anything, is “in the cards” for McCormick Place East and Northerly Island, Bates said. Only then can the group decide whether to use the Lakefront Protection Ordinance to mount the legal equivalent of a goal line stand.

But the group firmly believes it's “inappropriate and legally challengeable to build a stadium on the lakefront in a way that is, essentially, a private enterprise,” Bates said.

“There are so many other extremely viable alternatives. It’s puzzling to us that things that would meaningfully impact neighborhoods around the city are not being considered by the Bears. And they’re quite viable in terms of transportation access,” Bates said.

“The Michael Reese site, for example, is extremely accessible to public transportation compared to the lakefront.”

State Rep. Kam Buckner (D-Chicago) represents a district that includes both Soldier Field as well as the 48.6-acre Michael Reese Hospital site that a Farpoint Development-led team plans to turn into a project known as the “Bronzeville Lakefront.”

The first phase of the roughly $4 billion project is expected to include a research facility operated by Israel's Sheba Medical Center, plus senior housing and a community welcoming center on the southern portion of the property.

“I’ve heard the Michael Reese piece a lot more recently" as a Bears alternative, though "I don’t know if that fits in with what they’re trying to do," Buckner said.

“ If Michael Reese works for the Bears and it’s not going to be burdensome on the people, then we should talk about that," he added.

Scott Goodman, a principal of the Farpoint team that purchased the Reese site from the city, said he’s had “no conversations” with the Bears about possibly putting a stadium on the site.

“We are thrilled that the Bears have decided to stay in the city and we do believe they belong on the lakefront," Goodman said. "We certainly have the acreage, so I guess that makes it a possibility.”

Former Illinois Governor Pat Quinn is vowing to reprise the fight he waged to keep the name “Soldier Field." In 2001, pressured by then-Mayor Richard M. Daley, the Bears agreed to never sell corporate naming rights to the stadium, forfeiting $300 million or more. Veterans groups and Quinn had pleaded with Daley to stop the "commercial desecration" of a stadium dedicated to the men and women who served in the armed forces.

A new stadium may not be called Soldier Field, but “if the public owns the stadium, why do you let a private corporation sell the name and collect money?” Quinn said.

Marc Ganis, a Chicago-based consultant who has advised NFL teams on stadium issues, said the domed stadium alone likely will cost more than $3 billion — not counting deconstructing Soldier Field, improving lakefront access, creating new lakefront park space and developing bars, restaurants, and more around the new stadium.

But Ganis said he understands why the Bears felt compelled to do something as they try to keep up with 88-year-old Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf in seeking stadium dollars and financing.

48.6 acres hardly seems enough when the Bears have over 6 times that space at Arlington Heights.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 pm
Bears urged to consider Michael Reese hospital site for domed stadium to avoid lakefront legal battle

Friends of the Parks urged the Bears on Monday to consider building a domed stadium on the old Michael Reese Hospital site to avoid a legal battle akin to the fight that stopped filmmaker George Lucas from building a movie museum on the same site.

One day after the Bears offered to spend $2 billion in private money to help build a publicly-owned domed stadium south of Soldier Field, Friends of the Parks board member Fred Bates was not appeased by the team’s sketchy promise to create nearly 20% more open space, presumably by carefully demolishing Soldier Field while preserving its war memorial and historic colonnades.

Friends of the Parks needs a better understanding of what exactly the Bears propose, how they plan to pay for it and what, if anything, is “in the cards” for McCormick Place East and Northerly Island, Bates said. Only then can the group decide whether to use the Lakefront Protection Ordinance to mount the legal equivalent of a goal line stand.

But the group firmly believes it's “inappropriate and legally challengeable to build a stadium on the lakefront in a way that is, essentially, a private enterprise,” Bates said.

“There are so many other extremely viable alternatives. It’s puzzling to us that things that would meaningfully impact neighborhoods around the city are not being considered by the Bears. And they’re quite viable in terms of transportation access,” Bates said.

“The Michael Reese site, for example, is extremely accessible to public transportation compared to the lakefront.”

State Rep. Kam Buckner (D-Chicago) represents a district that includes both Soldier Field as well as the 48.6-acre Michael Reese Hospital site that a Farpoint Development-led team plans to turn into a project known as the “Bronzeville Lakefront.”

The first phase of the roughly $4 billion project is expected to include a research facility operated by Israel's Sheba Medical Center, plus senior housing and a community welcoming center on the southern portion of the property.

“I’ve heard the Michael Reese piece a lot more recently" as a Bears alternative, though "I don’t know if that fits in with what they’re trying to do," Buckner said.

“ If Michael Reese works for the Bears and it’s not going to be burdensome on the people, then we should talk about that," he added.

Scott Goodman, a principal of the Farpoint team that purchased the Reese site from the city, said he’s had “no conversations” with the Bears about possibly putting a stadium on the site.

“We are thrilled that the Bears have decided to stay in the city and we do believe they belong on the lakefront," Goodman said. "We certainly have the acreage, so I guess that makes it a possibility.”

Former Illinois Governor Pat Quinn is vowing to reprise the fight he waged to keep the name “Soldier Field." In 2001, pressured by then-Mayor Richard M. Daley, the Bears agreed to never sell corporate naming rights to the stadium, forfeiting $300 million or more. Veterans groups and Quinn had pleaded with Daley to stop the "commercial desecration" of a stadium dedicated to the men and women who served in the armed forces.

A new stadium may not be called Soldier Field, but “if the public owns the stadium, why do you let a private corporation sell the name and collect money?” Quinn said.

Marc Ganis, a Chicago-based consultant who has advised NFL teams on stadium issues, said the domed stadium alone likely will cost more than $3 billion — not counting deconstructing Soldier Field, improving lakefront access, creating new lakefront park space and developing bars, restaurants, and more around the new stadium.

But Ganis said he understands why the Bears felt compelled to do something as they try to keep up with 88-year-old Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf in seeking stadium dollars and financing.

48.6 acres hardly seems enough when the Bears have over 6 times that space at Arlington Heights.
US bank was built in just under 40 acres. So 40ish acres is fine if the surrounding area has a base of population and businesses, as well as transit to service it. AH would need to create that in its entirety (unless they were gonna go for Arrowhead, "suburban stadium surrounded by lots" feel).

That site sits close to Mccormick too - which is handy for big events. And the area around it could certainly be built up for private investment over time (and early buyers can get a good deal I'm sure)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. What about this high level plan?
- Bears and White Sox build their own stadiums and can lease out areas within the stadiums for various vendors, shops, etc. Teams own their own stadium, but pay property tax to the city.
- Bears additionally pay to demo Soldier as mild payback to city which still owes $500M for the original Solider build.
- City pays for setting up one shared parking area between both stadiums as well as updating the surrounding areas with infrastructure, parks and areas for stores, hotels, etc. and get the tax revenue from all that.
- City and teams negotiate some kind of split of the parking revenue from stadium events to incentivize teams to have additional events.

Simple, elegant plan. But I'm sure it has major holes in it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.