Kingsbury backs out of Raiders job, joins Commanders

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:58 am I think that Commanders new Front Office wants to show it's fans that it's serious about being a contending franchise, and is going to make a big (yet ill-advised) splash and land Caleb Williams. They also know that CW will put more butts in the seats than Drake Maye will.
I see this happening. I think having a first overall pick superstar QB prospect come to the Bears is enticing for the FO, but I wonder if Poles is going to go big picture and squeeze every last drop that he can out of the #1 pick for as long as he has it. Because he knows he probably won't have it again for a while. (Unless things go very badly, and then he won't be around to use it).
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Let's look at this from a different spot in Madden GM Chocolate Rivers and Lollipop Fields Land.

The Raiders are PISSED that Kliff backed out on them. They here all sort of rumors about what Washington is going to pony to get Caleb at number one. They decide it doesn't matter the cost they are going to give Kliff the big F-You, then Washington decides they aren't letting the freaking Raiders steal their joy (because that's the decision making process of dysfunctional team like Vegas and Washington).

Washington starts off with pick #2, the second rounder they got from us and Allen.

Raiders up that off by giving us pick #13, this years second, next years first and Crosby.

Washington come back and throws in their second this year and next year's first.

Raiders up it to include next years second and a first in '26.

Washington throws in their second this year and next.

Raiders add in Renfro and a second in '26.

Washington throws in a first in '26.

So we get to from:

Washington - pick 2, 2 second this years, 1st in '25 and '25, plus Allen, or

Raiders - pick 13, this year's second, first and second in '25 and '26 plus Crosby and Renfro.

Now that's some serious Chocolate Rivers and Lollipop Fields.
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:58 am I think that Commanders new Front Office wants to show it's fans that it's serious about being a contending franchise, and is going to make a big (yet ill-advised) splash and land Caleb Williams. They also know that CW will put more butts in the seats than Drake Maye will.
I hope so! Let's not forget Magic Johnson is one of the co-owners, with 4% ownership. He's knows something about the importance of butts in seats and marketing excitement through young talent. I would love to see the Bears drop down 1 spot for a haul. And then drop down again for more. The more ill-advised for them, the better for us.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Sweetness34 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:15 am
I hope so! Let's not forget Magic Johnson is one of the co-owners, with 4% ownership. He's knows something about the importance of butts in seats and marketing excitement through young talent. I would love to see the Bears drop down 1 spot for a haul. And then drop down again for more. The more ill-advised for them, the better for us.
You need to post more. You can think past the shiny new toy and actually have strategic thought.
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Take The Field With Fields

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:56 am Let's look at this from a different spot in Madden GM Chocolate Rivers and Lollipop Fields Land.

The Raiders are PISSED that Kliff backed out on them. They here all sort of rumors about what Washington is going to pony to get Caleb at number one. They decide it doesn't matter the cost they are going to give Kliff the big F-You, then Washington decides they aren't letting the freaking Raiders steal their joy (because that's the decision making process of dysfunctional team like Vegas and Washington).

Washington starts off with pick #2, the second rounder they got from us and Allen.

Raiders up that off by giving us pick #13, this years second, next years first and Crosby.

Washington come back and throws in their second this year and next year's first.

Raiders up it to include next years second and a first in '26.

Washington throws in their second this year and next.

Raiders add in Renfro and a second in '26.

Washington throws in a first in '26.

So we get to from:

Washington - pick 2, 2 second this years, 1st in '25 and '25, plus Allen, or

Raiders - pick 13, this year's second, first and second in '25 and '26 plus Crosby and Renfro.

Now that's some serious Chocolate Rivers and Lollipop Fields.
I love this! Yes!

Trade those picks and get PAID!!!!

After this draft we're going to call Ryan Poles Willy Wonka after he makes it rain lollipops and chocolate!

G08
Hall of Famer

Schefter reported that Kingsbury backed out because the Raiders did not offer him a 3 year deal (which is standard for coordinators) and the Commanders did.

Pretty cut-and-dried why he backed out.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:55 am
I see this happening. I think having a first overall pick superstar QB prospect come to the Bears is enticing for the FO, but I wonder if Poles is going to go big picture and squeeze every last drop that he can out of the #1 pick for as long as he has it. Because he knows he probably won't have it again for a while. (Unless things go very badly, and then he won't be around to use it).
The only way something like this happens is if they love one of the other QBs in the draft, which by some reports isn't the case. Who knows though, a lot can change over the next 78 days.

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:12 pm The only way something like this happens is if they love one of the other QBs in the draft, which by some reports isn't the case. Who knows though, a lot can change over the next 78 days.
78 days?

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:39 am
G08 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:12 pm The only way something like this happens is if they love one of the other QBs in the draft, which by some reports isn't the case. Who knows though, a lot can change over the next 78 days.
78 days?

No shit.

JF1 is worth fighting for. I got this.

wab
Mod

I think we will know before free agency.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:37 am I think we will know before free agency.
Probably right. If the Bears are going to move Fields it will be before then. Before teams go digging through the scrap heap of marginal veteran QB's.

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
G08
Hall of Famer

You think so? I would much prefer that than waiting until draft day.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am
I think the Bears will want to do right by Fields if they are going to trade him and let his folks talk to other teams before FA. It takes QB off the need list for other teams and allows them to account for his fifth year option (due in May). It's also better for his market...if they hold on to him until draft day, or even after the draft, that severely limits what they will be able to get for him. And if they get to that point and they can't trade him, then that creates a super awkward position.

Conversely, if the Bears are going to trade the #1 pick, they'd want to do that before FA so that the team acquiring the pick can adjust their FA plans.

There is also the scenario where they trade Fields AND trade the pick to Washington...
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:11 am
G08 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am

I think the Bears will want to do right by Fields if they are going to trade him and let his folks talk to other teams before FA. It takes QB off the need list for other teams and allows them to account for his fifth year option (due in May). It's also better for his market...if they hold on to him until draft day, or even after the draft, that severely limits what they will be able to get for him. And if they get to that point and they can't trade him, then that creates a super awkward position.

Conversely, if the Bears are going to trade the #1 pick, they'd want to do that before FA so that the team acquiring the pick can adjust their FA plans.

There is also the scenario where they trade Fields AND trade the pick to Washington...
If they trade Fields, I think smart money is on him going to Atlanta. I'd take a 4th round pick, and Kyle Pitts.

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
wab
Mod

Heard an interesting scenario on the local radio this morning (Cowboys radio talking about Kingsbury and tangentially Washington).

There's a theory that Kingsbury wanted the Bears OC gig so he could work with Fields, because he could design an offense around him like he did Murray. Washington knows they have no shot at Williams, so their thoughts are that the Commanders will either trade down from #2, or address OT. They would then return the Bears 2nd round pick to them in exchange for Fields.

The radio folks seemed to think pretty highly of a Fields and Kingsbury marriage. (Most folks down here love them some Kingsbury).
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:09 pm Heard an interesting scenario on the local radio this morning (Cowboys radio talking about Kingsbury and tangentially Washington).

There's a theory that Kingsbury wanted the Bears OC gig so he could work with Fields, because he could design an offense around him like he did Murray. Washington knows they have no shot at Williams, so their thoughts are that the Commanders will either trade down from #2, or address OT. They would then return the Bears 2nd round pick to them in exchange for Fields.

The radio folks seemed to think pretty highly of a Fields and Kingsbury marriage. (Most folks down here love them some Kingsbury).
I mean...if you can pull a Texans and get Williams and Harrison Jr 1 and 2...
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
wab
Mod

I think the return would be a 2nd round pick. No way Washington is giving up the #2.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:09 pm Heard an interesting scenario on the local radio this morning (Cowboys radio talking about Kingsbury and tangentially Washington).

Lord how bad will it be if Washington trades for Fields takes Harrison at 2 and Kingbury burns them into a force?

We could have kept Fields, signed Kingsbury and drafted Harrison at 1.
wab
Mod

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:50 pm

Lord how bad will it be if Washington trades for Fields takes Harrison at 2 and Kingbury burns them into a force?

I think Joe Alt would probably be the pick at #2 if they stayed there. But I'd guess if they acquired Fields they would try and trade down...
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I struggle to imagine our getting Washington's 2025 R1 pick to move up 1 spot, although I get the arguments about why they'd pursue Williams aggressively. I think that's the absolute best we could hope for. More likely IMO it might be their 2 R2's and their R2 next year.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:27 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:50 pm

I think Joe Alt would probably be the pick at #2 if they stayed there. But I'd guess if they acquired Fields they would try and trade down...
Yeah, with McLaurin and Dotson (who was also taken in the first), on a team with a lot of holes Harrison would be a MASSIVE luxury.

Kliff's got some nice weapons there to work with, but that OL does need work.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:30 pm I struggle to imagine our getting Washington's 2025 R1 pick to move up 1 spot, although I get the arguments about why they'd pursue Williams aggressively. I think that's the absolute best we could hope for. More likely IMO it might be their 2 R2's and their R2 next year.
I find it hard to believe as well. But that's what the "expert" are chirping out there right now. I assume they are basing that on there being a bidding war to get to #1 to land Caleb. Other teams would be offer so much that they would have to throw that in for the Bears to justify passing on the other offers.
wab
Mod

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:18 pm
Mikefive wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:30 pm I struggle to imagine our getting Washington's 2025 R1 pick to move up 1 spot, although I get the arguments about why they'd pursue Williams aggressively. I think that's the absolute best we could hope for. More likely IMO it might be their 2 R2's and their R2 next year.
I find it hard to believe as well. But that's what the "expert" are chirping out there right now. I assume they are basing that on there being a bidding war to get to #1 to land Caleb. Other teams would be offer so much that they would have to throw that in for the Bears to justify passing on the other offers.
I'm still sticking with my theory that the Bears take Williams and trade Fields to Washington for a second round pick and have him compete with Howell (who a lot of people in that org still believe in).
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I will be happily shocked if Washington trades a r1 pick to move up one spot.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:26 am I will be happily shocked if Washington trades a r1 pick to move up one spot.
Seems like a best case scenario but Bears