UOK
Site Admin

WagonForce
MVP

You love to see it.
G08
Hall of Famer

Ayeeeee!!!

I vividliy remember watching week 1 of the 2006 season. Hester was back to return his first kick/punt and I told my buddy "Keep an eye on this kid, he's going to be special"
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

It's too early in the day to cry. The eggs are still cooking.

Whatever.

I'm really happy Mongo was alive for this.

This is Hester's moment too and I don't want to take away from that, more on that later, but I'm just really happy for Mongo and his family.

My buddy died before he got to see the Cubs win it all.

Santo died before getting in.

Mongo is alive when he got in.

At least humanity got 1 out of 3 right.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I got to see Hester 3x live and it was worth it. The home game against Denver when he had 2 returns for TDs and a Monday night game in St Louis when he had 2 as well. The dude was RIDICULOUS!!!!!!
IotaNet
MVP

On this night, on the biggest stage with the brightest lights, Devin Hester showed off for the whole world. Although it was in a losing effort, this is my favorite DH play of all time.

Last edited by IotaNet on Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Hester is so deserving. My favorite player of all time since his Hurricane days. Happy for all of them but Devins got a special place in my heart. Should have been 1st ballot
dplank
Hall of Famer

Good news to start the day
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Wow, awesome!! For some reason I thought it was being announced tonight. What great unexpected news this morning!!! I made my first trip ever to Canton when Urlacher was enshrined. I think this warrants a return trip. Just fantastic news!
Z Bear
MVP

With three Bears getting in I would assume the Bears are a lock for the Hall of Fame game.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:12 am With three Bears getting in I would assume the Bears are a lock for the Hall of Fame game.
Let’s hope - an extra game would be dope! Even if it’s just our cast offs out there.
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

I'm predicting Bears vs Chargers. You know the NFL will want to market Harbaugh's return as well Los Angeles. Gates is pretty much a lock. Plus there is the storyline of Harbaugh returning to the NFL to face the team he played the most years for.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Glad they made the right call.

Mongo earned it and deserves to be able to enjoy this before he goes.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:23 pm Ayeeeee!!!

I vividliy remember watching week 1 of the 2006 season. Hester was back to return his first kick/punt and I told my buddy "Keep an eye on this kid, he's going to be special"
Playing the Packer no less!!!!!!!!

I have an autographed photo of that return.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Very sweet indeed
wab
Mod

I'm super happy for these dudes. I assume Peppers will go in as a Panther though? Either way, it's awesome to see. All three are very deserving.
spudbear
MVP

Great to hear. I can understand Hester not making it on first ballot, but he needed to be in the HoF. Don't know if there will be another like him.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:42 am Wow, awesome!! For some reason I thought it was being announced tonight. What great unexpected news this morning!!! I made my first trip ever to Canton when Urlacher was enshrined. I think this warrants a return trip. Just fantastic news!
Someone leaked the info. It was not supposed to come out. But, it is everywhere on the net.
LacertineForest
MVP

Hell yeah! Well deserved.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

spudbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:06 am Great to hear. I can understand Hester not making it on first ballot, but he needed to be in the HoF. Don't know if there will be another like him.
I still think he should have been a first ballot guy. NO ONE comes close to what he did. They freaking changed the rules because of the what he did and therefore no one can repeat it.
spudbear
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:13 pm
spudbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:06 am Great to hear. I can understand Hester not making it on first ballot, but he needed to be in the HoF. Don't know if there will be another like him.
I still think he should have been a first ballot guy. NO ONE comes close to what he did. They freaking changed the rules because of the what he did and therefore no one can repeat it.
Yes, he should have been a first ballot guy. The fact that he didn't touch the ball as much as a QB/WR/RB during a game was held against him.
Who is currently playing that may be first ballot guys? Mahomes, maybe Kelce. I can't think of anyone on the defensive side.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

spudbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:07 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:13 pm

Yes, he should have been a first ballot guy. The fact that he didn't touch the ball as much as a QB/WR/RB during a game was held against him.
Who is currently playing that may be first ballot guys? Mahomes, maybe Kelce. I can't think of anyone on the defensive side.
Defensive first ballot that immediately come to mind:

Khalil Mack
Bobby Wagner
Aaron Donald
Von Miller
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:48 pm
spudbear wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:07 pm
Defensive first ballot that immediately come to mind:

Khalil Mack
Bobby Wagner
Aaron Donald
Von Miller
Donald for sure.
Wagner probably.

Mack and Miller are on the edge, in my opinion. YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
docc
Head Coach

NFL channel just went Blackout in my area, TUCSON ? Really ? I can see it on DTV 205 sportsmix..but blackout for full screen. I guess I'm too close to Vegas..
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Here my photo of Hester’s first return.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Cool story from Wanny:

“We were in our third week of two-a-days, full pads, no days off, for players, coaches, everybody. Mongo and Keith Van Horne came up to me after practice and said, ‘Hey coach, can we talk to you.’ I said, ‘Sure, what’s up?’ They said, ‘Coach, we're up to our third-straight week of two-a-days, full pads, morning and afternoon, every practice.’ I said ‘Gee, you know what guys I didn’t give it much thought. I tell you what, let’s have good practice and tonight we'll be off, no curfew. I’ll give everybody off.’”

The Bears did have that good practice and Wannstedt kept his word. He gave the team the night off with no curfew. But there was one caveat.

“There’s one bar that you can’t go to in Platteville: the American Legion downtown. That’s the coaches’ bar. Stay outta there. Go anywhere else. I don’t care if you drive back to Chicago. Don't go, that's what we're going to be. I'm going to be there.

“So sure enough, we get done with practice, we watch the tape. The whole staff, we load up into cars and we get down there. We walk in, and who’s sitting at the bar with his little dog? Mongo. I walk in and he looks at me and he smiles. And he chugs his beer– I remember this like it was yesterday– and he reaches in his pocket– Keep in mind that the American Legion in ‘93 or ‘94, beers were probably 20 cents a draft. Maybe a quarter…he reaches in his pocket and he slaps 100 down and he says ‘Take care of these coaches.’

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/ch ... UpYYKhMj_k
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:42 am I got to see Hester 3x live and it was worth it. The home game against Denver when he had 2 returns for TDs and a Monday night game in St Louis when he had 2 as well. The dude was RIDICULOUS!!!!!!
I only got see him once, at Wembley in 2011. He didn't have a big return that day but I'll always remember the frisson of excitement and anticipation that rippled through the crowd on every punt and kickoff with him back there. I've seen over 30 games since and every team play, but I've never witnessed that again. That's the effect he had.

Richard Dent was there in 2011 proudly wearing his new gold jacket. I wonder if Devin will come over for the game at Tottenham this year. He'd get a rapturous reception and not just from Bears fans.