Biggs: Not a question if Bears draft a QB, it's simply which one

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

How right is Biggs normally?

I’m only asking the people here I know that I’ve been talking to forever along with Sweetness. I like that new guy.
I Take The Field With Fields

dplank
Hall of Famer

Biggs is pretty plugged in Id say, so if he said it I take notice. I find it very hard to believe that Poles would allow this to leak tho.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:37 am Biggs is pretty plugged in Id say, so if he said it I take notice. I find it very hard to believe that Poles would allow this to leak tho.
It’s hard to know what to believe.

This is the Big Story in sports right now and every writer is going to write numerous articles about this.

If I HAD TO move on from JF1, I pick Maye. I do not like the Momma’s Boy.

Magilla_Gorilla
Journeyman

If the Bears are fielding offers and expect to trade Fields around start of FA it’s not unreasonable to think the decision to ‘move-on’ from Fields is no longer just confined to Poles inner-circle.
pus
Head Coach

Biggsy is pumping out smoke.
No matter how you try to box him in, whatever realistic scenario you propose to build around him is going to include the fashion aspect(s) of Caleb's dramatic personality.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:41 am It’s hard to know what to believe.
Well, the survey of (5? 7?) league GMs came back 100% that they'd draft one.
And possibly the most plugged-in team source says it's definite that they're drafting one.

So I don't think it's too mysterious.
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:41 am If I HAD TO move on from JF1, I pick Maye. I do not like the Momma’s Boy.
This part, I'm not so sure is certain yet. Besides just basic due diligence, I think there's legitimate options and deciding to do. Young over Stroud came out wrong and you don't want to repeat that.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

I think this is 70% speculation, 30% source-driven. Biggs is going by feeling in this particular instance, but he's as connected to the franchise as it gets without being a team employee.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
Z Bear
MVP

I do not think this comes as a surprise aside from those with an emotional attachment to Fields. When you are gifted the #1 pick in the draft and there is a supposed generational talent at QB, you have to take it unless you have a proven QB on the roster. There are still too many questions about Fields to consider him proven at the moment.

The only two options that make sense right now are taking Williams at 1 or making sure you get a 1st next year from a team you think is going to suck.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am now coming back to the idea of trading Fields and 9 to move up - If you are picking like #3 (Granted Harrison is a stud). You might be locked into a QB - and you aren't getting Harrison anyway.

But if you were picking 3 or 4 - assuming both Harrison is off the Board and you have a QB - the guys you are looking at there aren't all that different than the guys you would be looking at for pick 9

And if you were looking at the Georgia TE or one of the Defensive players - Pick 9 might even make it a bit more palatable value wise
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Maybe someone is giving Biggs this info as a smokescreen. Biggs puts it out there with the rep he has, others take notice. It might up the ante.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

UOK wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:05 am I think this is 70% speculation, 30% source-driven. Biggs is going by feeling in this particular instance, but he's as connected to the franchise as it gets without being a team employee.
This sounds about right to me.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Does anyone know if Biggsy spoke to dplank or TMP before he went on the Score this morning and said this? :-P
Magilla_Gorilla
Journeyman

Otis Day wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:33 am Maybe someone is giving Biggs this info as a smokescreen. Biggs puts it out there with the rep he has, others take notice. It might up the ante.

I don't think it would be in Poles or the Bears best interest to 'use' Biggs like that. It would be one thing if Biggs was reporting that 'the feeling/sense is the Bears are ready to move on from Justin' - but this is much more definitive than that.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:05 am I think this is 70% speculation, 30% source-driven. Biggs is going by feeling in this particular instance, but he's as connected to the franchise as it gets without being a team employee.
Pretty much.

I'm not convinced he's been given any particular insight, but this conclusion is logical (he's laid out the framework before, essentially that if you're asking if Fields is the guy then he's not) and is the most likely outcome.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:37 am Does anyone know if Biggsy spoke to dplank or TMP before he went on the Score this morning and said this? :-P
Do you see a welt on the side of his face? If not, then I was not consulted. 8-)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:37 am Does anyone know if Biggsy spoke to dplank or TMP before he went on the Score this morning and said this? :-P
It better be deliberate disinfo. I don’t want that guy talking sass about my QB.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Outside looking in, you can’t trade away the #1 overall pick in a good qb draft to keep a qb who has been poor to middling for 3 seasons. The over analyzing on this hurts my brain.

You keep JF and he has another season like last year or even with a minor improvement, everyone is getting fired, GM, coach, etc. You draft a new QB, everyone gets a pass on next year for sure unless the defense totally implodes or the team just dumps the coach. The GM for sure will be safe another year or two with a new QB.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just saying if you have a chance to keep a coach/GM job paying you a huge salary an extra year at a minimum and you only need to trade away a likeable, but underperforming player while you have the number 1 pick to replace him, it’s kind of a no-brainer .
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:00 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:41 am It’s hard to know what to believe.
And possibly the most plugged-in team source says it's definite that they're drafting one.

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:41 am If I HAD TO move on from JF1, I pick Maye. I do not like the Momma’s Boy.
This part, I'm not so sure is certain yet. Besides just basic due diligence, I think there's legitimate options and deciding to do. Young over Stroud came out wrong and you don't want to repeat that.
Do you think there’s credibility behind the rumors Williams does not want to play for the Bears?

wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:20 am

Do you think there’s credibility behind the rumors Williams does not want to play for the Bears?
I know you aren't asking me, but I do think there was initially some truth to the rumor, but I'd guess that was based on the Williams family not realizing the full context of the Bears situation - I think they were looking at it from an uninformed outside looking in kind of view. I believe his people have walked that back now that they have more info.

Even though I've come to accept that Fields is very likely gone, I would still very much like the Bears to fleece the Commanders in a trade down scenario. I think Daniels is positioned to be the most ready out of the gate, and the Bears have playoff expectations.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

He probably wants the Commandos more and therefore is trying to engineer a scenario which allows them to take him.

Like if Poles gives the Commandos an easy time.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:38 am
Otis Day wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:33 am Maybe someone is giving Biggs this info as a smokescreen. Biggs puts it out there with the rep he has, others take notice. It might up the ante.

I don't think it would be in Poles or the Bears best interest to 'use' Biggs like that. It would be one thing if Biggs was reporting that 'the feeling/sense is the Bears are ready to move on from Justin' - but this is much more definitive than that.
This is view is biased. You want to move on from Fields so you are taking it as "much more definitive". It's the same as TMP taking it as nothing since he is just a reporter looking for stories, just on the opposite side.

Biggs has heard what he's heard and putting his opinion out there nothing more nothing less. It's his job.

For both sides - nothing that is said about Fields or the pick besides a definitive statement by Poles matters right now.

Poles could be SET on Caleb right now. Written in stone. The combine comes and some teams falls in love and gives Poles an offer he can't refuse and suddenly Caleb is no longer Poles plans.

Poles could be set on Fields right now. The combine comes and Williams wows Poles and welp, sorry Justin plans changed and Caleb is a Bear. And a million other scenarios.

Nothing said until at least the combine really matters on this issue because the combine can change everything.

If we do draft Caleb, trade up for Marvin!
If we stick with Justin, trade down and grab Marvin!
Magilla_Gorilla
Journeyman

Heres the audio for those who want to listen:

wulfy
MVP

Biggsy has been covering this team since leather helmets. He’s really respected and I don’t think the team would use him to facilitate false information. That said, I don’t think anyone in Poles Inner Circle is talking to beat reporters about this. I think Brad is tea-leave reading and hearing some lower level whispers.
Heinz D.
Crafty Veteran

wulfy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:36 pm Biggsy has been covering this team since leather helmets. He’s really respected and I don’t think the team would use him to facilitate false information. That said, I don’t think anyone in Poles Inner Circle is talking to beat reporters about this. I think Brad is tea-leave reading and hearing some lower level whispers.
The thing is--if the Bears were aiming to trade the pick, they'd be talking to people about it. People also know that they've taken calls asking about trading Fields. It's not that complicated, really.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
wab
Mod

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:15 pm
wulfy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:36 pm Biggsy has been covering this team since leather helmets. He’s really respected and I don’t think the team would use him to facilitate false information. That said, I don’t think anyone in Poles Inner Circle is talking to beat reporters about this. I think Brad is tea-leave reading and hearing some lower level whispers.
The thing is--if the Bears were aiming to trade the pick, they'd be talking to people about it. People also know that they've taken calls asking about trading Fields. It's not that complicated, really.
Do we know they aren't talking to teams about trading the pick?
LacertineForest
MVP

If I was Poles, I would be talking to everyone about everything. I would be throwing down so much smoke that nobody had a goddamn clue what I was really doing. At the very least, you would be able to get all of the offers and make an evaluation of everything with a complete picture if you were talking to everyone about trading Justin and the #1 pick.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:25 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:20 am

I know you aren't asking me, but I do think there was initially some truth to the rumor, but I'd guess that was based on the Williams family not realizing the full context of the Bears situation - I think they were looking at it from an uninformed outside looking in kind of view. I believe his people have walked that back now that they have more info.

Even though I've come to accept that Fields is very likely gone, I would still very much like the Bears to fleece the Commanders in a trade down scenario. I think Daniels is positioned to be the most ready out of the gate, and the Bears have playoff expectations.
I too am starting to think Fields will be gone. I haven't done a very deep dive into the top QBs yet, but from what I seen/read on Williams, Mayes and Daniels, I think Williams has more potential, but I don't know if I think it's by a huge margin. If that's the case I love the idea of fleecing Washington and getting a different QB.

But if we are making the move at QB, I don't want to go past 2.

If we aren't making a move at QB, my hope is that the Giant decide Jones was a huge mistake and they accept they must pay him to play and come up with the historically crazy offer - 3 first, 3 second and a player. Is that gonna happen? I doubt it, but teams do stupid stuff from time to time.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If Poles is going to go there with drafting a QB I don’t know if he’d take Williams.

The supposed disinterest in the Bears and the mental weakness would all seem like turnoffs.

Remember the alleged character concerns he had about Carter? Maybe the same thing here.

It could very well be Maye. There are no negatives about the guy.

That and well….#10 from UNC, a GM named Ryan and an HC named Matt.

Time is a flat circle.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Sometimes I imagine myself talking about the Bears like this.

@dplank would play the role of Woody Harrelson.