2024 Combine Talk

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:54 am I think the Bears probably trade back from 9 so they can recoup their 2nd rounder, so I've been looking at guys who will be available in the late teens/early twenties.

However, if Odunze is there at 9, I have zero issues with them taking him. Same goes for Latu.

Down in the teens-twenties I'm looking at Adonai Mitchell, Bryan Thomas, Keon Coleman...Jermaine Burton feels like one of those receivers that could sneak into round 1 depending on how many go early. I like Pearsall but probably more in R2.

Edge might get slim outside of the top 15. Chris Braswell, Bralen Trice, Austin Booker, Darius Robinson, Adisa Isaac all sort of fall into that tier 2 group. Trice/Braswell/Robinson could possibly end up in R1.
If Odunze is there at 9, they'll take him. I think they'd try to trade down otherwise.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:13 am
wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:54 am I think the Bears probably trade back from 9 so they can recoup their 2nd rounder, so I've been looking at guys who will be available in the late teens/early twenties.

However, if Odunze is there at 9, I have zero issues with them taking him. Same goes for Latu.

Down in the teens-twenties I'm looking at Adonai Mitchell, Bryan Thomas, Keon Coleman...Jermaine Burton feels like one of those receivers that could sneak into round 1 depending on how many go early. I like Pearsall but probably more in R2.

Edge might get slim outside of the top 15. Chris Braswell, Bralen Trice, Austin Booker, Darius Robinson, Adisa Isaac all sort of fall into that tier 2 group. Trice/Braswell/Robinson could possibly end up in R1.
If Odunze is there at 9, they'll take him. I think they'd try to trade down otherwise.
My fear is that IF the Bears trade Fields to Atlanta, and we aren't able to swap the 8 & 9 pick in the trade, that Atlanta will take Odunze at 8.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:31 am
UOK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:13 am

My fear is that IF the Bears trade Fields to Atlanta, and we aren't able to swap the 8 & 9 pick in the trade, that Atlanta will take Odunze at 8.
I think if the Bears end up dealing Fields to Atlanta, they are going to want to trade down. They need a pass rusher, a 5T, a corner, and a WR. Although WR/Edge are probably at the top of the list.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Either team could make a FA splash that alters the decision too
xyt in the discord chats
Heinz D.
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:52 pm I find a lot of joy in my job, my workouts, and my other interests in life. This topic does not consume me.

And I've obviously missed out on something, as well...

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:52 pm I know the truth. JF1 is a Good Enough QB who is not a liability on the field. He's not the reason why this team has problems and this has been discussed a lot here so no need to get into the minutiae of it.
I think it's more than likely that he is, but Poles passed on Stroud, and he thinks Williams (or Maye if he throws us a curve ball) has a higher ceiling than Fields. Can't wait for the draft, it's going to be interesting.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:31 am My fear is that IF the Bears trade Fields to Atlanta, and we aren't able to swap the 8 & 9 pick in the trade, that Atlanta will take Odunze at 8.
If all the receivers are gone, then one of the tackles is there, and probably all of the pass rushers...
wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:01 am I think if the Bears end up dealing Fields to Atlanta, they are going to want to trade down.
Huh? I'm not following you, here. And I suspect Atlanta will give them a second rounder?

I still think the only way they trade down from #9 is if Denver or Vegas gives them a super sweet deal so they can get QB3 or QB4. And #9 to #11 or #13 wouldn't be the end of the world, although I know I wouldn't like it much.
wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:01 amAlthough WR/Edge are probably at the top of the list.
I'd be shocked if it was otherwise. Although if Bowers falls, I could see them taking him at #9.
UOK
Site Admin

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:55 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:31 am My fear is that IF the Bears trade Fields to Atlanta, and we aren't able to swap the 8 & 9 pick in the trade, that Atlanta will take Odunze at 8.
If all the receivers are gone, then one of the tackles is there, and probably all of the pass rushers...
wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:01 am I think if the Bears end up dealing Fields to Atlanta, they are going to want to trade down.
Huh? I'm not following you, here. And I suspect Atlanta will give them a second rounder?

I still think the only way they trade down from #9 is if Denver or Vegas gives them a super sweet deal so they can get QB3 or QB4. And #9 to #11 or #13 wouldn't be the end of the world, although I know I wouldn't like it much.
wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:01 amAlthough WR/Edge are probably at the top of the list.
I'd be shocked if it was otherwise. Although if Bowers falls, I could see them taking him at #9.
The dominoes:

1. Kirk Cousins signs somewhere (probably stays in Minnesota)
2. Baker Mayfield signs somewhere (probably stays in Tampa)
3. Draft stock of Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, or Nix fluctuates wildly to put many teams in a panic to trade into the top 10

This process is all agonizingly slow, lol.
Heinz D.
MVP

UOK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:00 pm The dominoes:

1. Kirk Cousins signs somewhere (probably stays in Minnesota)
2. Baker Mayfield signs somewhere (probably stays in Tampa)
3. Draft stock of Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, or Nix fluctuates wildly to put many teams in a panic to trade into the top 10

This process is all agonizingly slow, lol.
:lol: Yeah, this year is especially tortuous for Bears fans.

Everything I've read (although I didn't pay enough attention to know whether people were all using the same info) points to Fields being Atlanta's first choice. And if that doesn't work out, they'll look to the FAs. Which also lines up with some of the other stuff we've been hearing as of late.
wulfy
MVP

If the Falcons offer their R2 (11) and an 8/9 swap in R1 for JF1 - I'm jumping on that offer.

Whether or not McCarthy jumps into the Top 8 probably determines if one of the Big 3 WRs is there - which is my preference. Otherwise, there will still be some monster talent on the board (DE, OT specifically) either to draft or to trade down with.
wab
Mod

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:55 am

Atlanta will want to trade down. And although I'm hoping that the Falcons would pony up a R2 pick for Fields, but that looks increasingly unlikely. Maybe a 3rd and a pick in 2025.
wulfy
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:24 pm
Atlanta will want to trade down. And although I'm hoping that the Falcons would pony up a R2 pick for Fields, but that looks increasingly unlikely. Maybe a 3rd and a pick in 2025.
Agree, wab. To get a R2, someone else is going to have to show interest, be it Pittsburgh, Las Vegas or New England. Minnesota is a wildcard if Cousins signs elsewhere - Poles would have to have elephant balls to make that move in the Division.

The irony is that any other year, we'd be the team looking to trade for a QB like Fields.
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:24 pm Atlanta will want to trade down. And although I'm hoping that the Falcons would pony up a R2 pick for Fields, but that looks increasingly unlikely. Maybe a 3rd and a pick in 2025.
I dunno.

I mean, Pittsburgh apparently was the first team to ask about Fields...but now seems content to wait for Denver to cut Wilson...and have he and Pickett do a QB competition in camp. That leads me to think the price is fairly high. But we'll see. I'd be happy enough with a third this year, a conditional next.
wulfy
MVP

My problem is that I have a huge list of Dudes that I like in the second round!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:50 pm
wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:24 pm Atlanta will want to trade down. And although I'm hoping that the Falcons would pony up a R2 pick for Fields, but that looks increasingly unlikely. Maybe a 3rd and a pick in 2025.
I dunno.

I mean, Pittsburgh apparently was the first team to ask about Fields...but now seems content to wait for Denver to cut Wilson...and have he and Pickett do a QB competition in camp. That leads me to think the price is fairly high. But we'll see. I'd be happy enough with a third this year, a conditional next.
I think Sean Payton could make Justin Fields work by doing all the stuff he wanted to do with Taysom Hill. I also think he'd be great as a Steeler. It's just frustrating that the Falcons and the Raiders hired coaches that won't like JF1 because those teams are gonna be desperate when the FA QB pool very quickly dries up and 4 QBs go ahead of them.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:11 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:50 pm

I dunno.

I think Sean Payton could make Justin Fields work by doing all the stuff he wanted to do with Taysom Hill. I also think he'd be great as a Steeler. It's just frustrating that the Falcons and the Raiders hired coaches that won't like JF1 because those teams are gonna be desperate when the FA QB pool very quickly dries up and 4 QBs go ahead of them.
I've mentioned Denver a few times too. They don't have a 2nd round pick, so you would have to be willing to accept a 3rd. I'm not sure they will want to trade a bunch of picks away again after eating shit on the Russell Wilson trade.

Maybe a player swap makes more sense. Courtland Sutton or Jerry Jeudy? Maybe plug Quinn Meinerz in at center?

I don't know... the Broncos don't have a lot of resources or talent right now.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

There have been plenty of seasons where I thought the Saints should tank and instead they YOLO'd their way through FA and draft so they could compete. I can't believe that Sean is gonna relax and try to build through the draft.

Sutton or Meinerz would be a coup if Poles could make it happen.
Alternatively they could take future picks worth a 2024 second and trade with a third team?
It's farfetched. I'm just in denial that the NFL is going to have Fields sitting on the bench somewhere (Buffalo? Baltimore?) while second tier rookies and journeymen vets get starts.
xyt in the discord chats
Heinz D.
MVP

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:47 pm It's farfetched. I'm just in denial that the NFL is going to have Fields sitting on the bench somewhere (Buffalo? Baltimore?) while second tier rookies and journeymen vets get starts.
"In denial"?

Seems like a weird thing to assert. I think it's likely that wherever he goes, he'll get real consideration to start.
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:40 pm Maybe a player swap makes more sense. Courtland Sutton or Jerry Jeudy? Maybe plug Quinn Meinerz in at center?

Maybe? But that works for me, too. Any of those dudes would be roughly equivalent to a second round pick...
thunderspirit
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 pm For whatever my opinion is worth (not a whole lot, even to me), this is my pre-Combine draft board.
And here's the post-Combine, post-Pro Day one.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Minor notes:

Tyler Nubin shit the bed at his pro day
Zach Frazier's was seriously underwhelming
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:47 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 pm For whatever my opinion is worth (not a whole lot, even to me), this is my pre-Combine draft board.
The second one says "you need access"

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:32 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:47 pm

The second one says "you need access"
That's just for you. 😛

Think it's fixed now.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:31 pm Minor notes:

Tyler Nubin shit the bed at his pro day
Zach Frazier's was seriously underwhelming
Nubin (and to a lesser extent Kinchens) will need to be exceptional diagnosing plays to compensate for athletic deficiencies. I'm not willing to take that risk, and I don't expect the Bears to be willing to take that risk either.

Frazier came in about where I thought he'd be, roughly an average NFL athlete for his position, with some numbers over the 50th percentile and some under. Coming off a badly broken leg, I'm willing to cut some slack. (But I'm also not the Bears.)
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Following up on Frazier: he's basically a lighter, slightly more explosive Steve Avila.

We know the Bears loved Avila last year, so it's not wild to assume they like Frazier this year.
KFFL refugee.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:56 pm Following up on Frazier: he's basically a lighter, slightly more explosive Steve Avila.

We know the Bears loved Avila last year, so it's not wild to assume they like Frazier this year.
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/ ... luke-getsy
Re Availa
I think Poles has a thing for, bordering on a really unhealthy obsession, with "nasty". I can name plenty of effective OLmen who weren't described that way. My concern is someone who gets the job done, not whether they have a sadistic streak in them. I also generally despise the overweight OLmen. Terrible bets. So far Availa's rookie season was nothing to write home about for a high second rounder.

Re Frazier
I don't know how much slack I'd grant for the injury. My understanding has always been that his athleticism was always considered middle of the road at best. He's got experience, strength, huge hands, good use of leverage. I wouldn't object to him ending up a Bear. But I think the very, very top of R2 ranking that most people have him at now is really rich.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:44 am
thunderspirit wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:56 pm Following up on Frazier: he's basically a lighter, slightly more explosive Steve Avila.

Re Availa
I think Poles has a thing for, bordering on a really unhealthy obsession, with "nasty". I can name plenty of effective OLmen who weren't described that way. My concern is someone who gets the job done, not whether they have a sadistic streak in them. I also generally despise the overweight OLmen. Terrible bets. So far Availa's rookie season was nothing to write home about for a high second rounder.

Re Frazier
I don't know how much slack I'd grant for the injury. My understanding has always been that his athleticism was always considered middle of the road at best. He's got experience, strength, huge hands, good use of leverage. I wouldn't object to him ending up a Bear. But I think the very, very top of R2 ranking that most people have him at now is really rich.
It's higher than I'd be comfortable taking him, that's for sure. He's a mid to late Day 2 guy for me, because he's a good football player and Rounds 3-4 where I'm happy to draft NFL-caliber athletes who play the game well.
KFFL refugee.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:57 am
Moriarty wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:44 am

Re Availa

Re Frazier
It's higher than I'd be comfortable taking him, that's for sure. He's a mid to late Day 2 guy for me, because he's a good football player and Rounds 3-4 where I'm happy to draft NFL-caliber athletes who play the game well.
That's what I'm talkin bout

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Albany DE AJ Simon had a great Pro Day and probably moved himself into the tail end of the draft, and then

Top FCS prospect passes away … The real world intruded on the build up to next week’s draft with word that star Albany DE AJ Simon, one of the better FCS prospects in the 2024 class, passed away earlier today from an undisclosed cause. Simon, who was considered to be a late-round or free agent candidate, posted 12.5 sacks last fall as he helped Albany to a conference championship and a berth in the FCS national semi-finals. Simon was 25. Our condolences to his family, friends and teammates.
:(

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:33 am Albany DE AJ Simon had a great Pro Day and probably moved himself into the tail end of the draft, and then

Top FCS prospect passes away … The real world intruded on the build up to next week’s draft with word that star Albany DE AJ Simon, one of the better FCS prospects in the 2024 class, passed away earlier today from an undisclosed cause. Simon, who was considered to be a late-round or free agent candidate, posted 12.5 sacks last fall as he helped Albany to a conference championship and a berth in the FCS national semi-finals. Simon was 25. Our condolences to his family, friends and teammates.
:(
Man, that sucks.
KFFL refugee.