Pick 9: If Bears take Alt or Fashanu...

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

...what are they going to do with Braxton Jones?

Jones is at that Pretty Good level, but he's not likely going to be a backup or stick around to train his replacement.
wab
Mod

I think they trade the pick if one of the top OTs is left on the board. Vegas needs an OT badly and would probably want to jump ahead of the Jets who need one even more.

But if they do take one, it might mean that they look to trade Jones too...given that he's pretty much a LT only at this point. So you either roll with him or cut the cord.
dplank
Hall of Famer

No thought of "resetting the LT clock"? I could see it. I've grown to like Jones, his loss was felt when he went out and it was eye opening for me to see that. But he's not elite and he still gets pushed back into the pocket, Fields rarely had super clean pockets even when his protection held up. Either the C or LT was usually in his lap. So I wouldn't mind an upgrade at this uber important position, and Jones as a swing T wouldn't be the worst thing. Borom is trash.
wab
Mod

If Braxton Jones was pick #16 instead of pick #168, people would sing his praises. He's constantly ranked in the top half of OTs for overall performance. (I think he was 11th this year).
dplank
Hall of Famer

Wright could also kick inside. If the best T is available at our pick, and none of the "big 3" WRs or the TE are there, then I'd take the BPA even if it's a T.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:45 pm Wright could also kick inside. If the best T is available at our pick, and none of the "big 3" WRs or the TE are there, then I'd take the BPA even if it's a T.
A guard combo of Jenkins and Wright could be the best in the NFL, but I still think they want to (or should) keep continuity at OT.

Fix center in free agency and get a backup plan at guard in the draft. I'm not convinced that extending Jenkins is a lock given his propensity to miss games. So that plus Davis's lack of availability, and they very much need a borderline starting caliber backup inside.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:10 pm Fix center in free agency and get a backup plan at guard in the draft. I'm not convinced that extending Jenkins is a lock given his propensity to miss games. So that plus Davis's lack of availability, and they very much need a borderline starting caliber backup inside.
Yeah. First I liked Josh Grey (moving), but he went back to school. Then I was into Mason as a bargain with future starting potential, but he may be rising out of that range. Someone along those lines, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

*cough* Jacob Monk *cough*
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Alt-Wright would be the new Covert-Van Horne. Braxton has played way above his draft status, he's top 15, but he's not elite.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
wab
Mod

I don't think Alt makes it past #7 anyway...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats took him at 3
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:14 pm I don't think Alt makes it past #7 anyway...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats took him at 3
Yup.

Bloodlines matter.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:45 pm Wright could also kick inside. If the best T is available at our pick, and none of the "big 3" WRs or the TE are there, then I'd take the BPA even if it's a T.
This is a thought I had as well if LT is the way they decide to go but on a scale of 1-10 I believe it's more likely they look at a WR there or if that need has been filled quite possibly trade the pick. As it stand so much is based on what they decide to do with that 1st overall. It's gonna drive this draft and every pick below it at least through the top ten.

I have to wonder just what's going on inside Halas Hall these days. What's Poles mind set this year. Will he again need to be blown away by Williams or Maye or will it be the reverse and he'll need to be blown away by the offers he gets to elect to once again pass on using #1 overall on a QB? I have to admit I'm intrigued by what he might get should he trade again.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm with @wab here. If OT is BPA then I hope Poles trades back a bit and drafts his DL1 or even his CB1 if the plan is to move Smith to FS. If the tradeback is far enough maybe it's a good excuse to draft Jackson Powers-Johnson to back up all 3 interior spots.
xyt in the discord chats
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Braxton has been a very good late rd. OT find and love the guy as an over-achiever... That said, draft Joe Alt and the Oline becomes elite level along with a solid FA C or SVP. Interestingly, Poles recently stated OT was very deep in this draft and it at least makes me think he is leaning on picking one high. Would not be disappointed at all if we went OT early. Sure, the generational talent, MJH would be nice but Alt, or Fashanu really would solidify the oline.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I don't see Odunze going before 9. Pair Odunze with Moore, and you'd have the makings of the best WR pair in the league.