When We Growled: A Time Capsule

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@HurricaneBear and I were having a great exchange about how there is a generation, or two or three, of Bears fans that do not remember when this franchise was any damn good.

I would like this thread to serve as a time capsule so those who are younger and only have memories from like 1987 forward to know that there was a time….

WHEN WE GROWLED!

Here is my contribution. Or I guess my version of a Cave Painting for the future to see.

There was a time that we had a coach with dignity, self respect, and even a personality. His name was Mike Ditka.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

TMP, I've been a fan since 1963. The mediocre and poor have far outnumbered times when the team was good, much less great. The crap didn't start in 1987
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Noots
Assistant Coach

Todd Bell's hit on Washington's elite scat back Joe Washington in the '84 playoffs was symbolic of the defense, and their undeniable surge to the top. And of how the rules are a little different now. Don't just watch the initial play by play. Watch it all the way through to him coming off the field, and the replays of the hit and what happens to the football. Appears the preview might not be there and you'll need to dig into the link. It's worth your while. 8-)

[video][/video]
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Noots wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:28 pm Todd Bell's hit on Washington's elite scat back Joe Washington in the '84 playoffs was symbolic of the defense, and their undeniable surge to the top. And of how the rules are a little different now. Don't just watch the initial play by play. Watch it all the way through to him coming off the field, and the replays of the hit and what happens to the football. Appears the preview might not be there and you'll need to dig into the link. It's worth your while. 8-)

[video][/video]
Love that play.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

"Ditka" and "dignity"?

That was tongue in cheek, I hope

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 am

Anyway, funny background
https://chicagoreader.com/news-politics ... grabowski/
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 am There was a time that we had a coach with dignity, self respect, and even a personality. His name was Mike Ditka.
Mike Ditka was a horse's ass.

I think there's a lot of wires crossed about how people saw Ditka's behavior, which at the time some may have considered manly or "alpha" or some stupid shit, but it's pretty embarrassing in retrospect to look back at his behavior in the press. I don't even know how much of his rosters ever really liked playing for him, especially after Buddy Ryan left.
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Can't miss the opportunity to share video of the best RB of all time, who was also one of the toughest. If it was between the sideline and the defender, Walter chose the defender 99 times out of 100. One tough SOB. And I know this is not new information to anyone here, but you teed it up, so I had to share.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:28 pm Todd Bell's hit on Washington's elite scat back Joe Washington in the '84 playoffs was symbolic of the defense, and their undeniable surge to the top. And of how the rules are a little different now. Don't just watch the initial play by play. Watch it all the way through to him coming off the field, and the replays of the hit and what happens to the football. Appears the preview might not be there and you'll need to dig into the link. It's worth your while. 8-)

[video][/video]
Notice in that video, Mike Hartenstine dropping into coverage on Washington. Ryan threw a lot of shit at the opposing team.

Then Bell and Harris hold out the next year and missed playing on the SB team.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Talk about growling, my favorite, Uncle Fuzzy, Good Ole #55, Doug Buffone (RIP). Back in the day Butkus got all the love (deservedly so), but Buffone put up some really good #s. Classic rant after a Bears loss.

wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:14 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 am There was a time that we had a coach with dignity, self respect, and even a personality. His name was Mike Ditka.

I think there's a lot of wires crossed about how people saw Ditka's behavior, which at the time some may have considered manly or "alpha" or some stupid shit, but it's pretty embarrassing in retrospect to look back at his behavior in the press. I don't even know how much of his rosters ever really liked playing for him, especially after Buddy Ryan left.
Ditka brings out the nostalgia in fans, but yeah...his bluster is often times mischaracterized as machismo.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

For our younger members who barely know what it's like to beat the hated Packers...

dave99
Assistant Coach

Maybe, but he convinced a team with a terrible losing history they could win it all and they did.
Also a great player.
[video][/video]
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Honestly? This I dont get. I know sometimes I'm pissing in the wind here and I accept that, but "look at how well our team hurt that guy" isnt something I'll ever get my rocks off to.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:40 pm
Honestly? This I dont get. I know sometimes I'm pissing in the wind here and I accept that, but "look at how well our team hurt that guy" isnt something I'll ever get my rocks off to.
Sorry about that my Bear brother. Hey, @The Marshall Plan , can you rename this post to "When we meowed?"

Joe Worshington was fine. It was a legal hit and he was ok.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

To me it's not about hurting a player, it's about big hits and players worrying about getting hit that way so they play "tight" and don't perform as well.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Noots wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:02 pm

Sorry about that my Bear brother. Hey, @The Marshall Plan , can you rename this post to "When we meowed?"

I understand that pickleball can be quite exciting.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I know right?

People watching football because of the big hits?

Who in their right mind would ever do that?

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think Rusty is a Caleb lover.

Time to knit a quilt and cry to mommy about our feelings.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Could you imagine if I had pulled up some classic Doug Plank footage?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:26 pm Could you imagine if I had pulled up some classic Doug Plank footage?
Rusty might get triggered and need a stack of adult coloring books to cope with something like that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:27 pm

That's way too violent for me.

Besides why hasn't anybody asked the pickles what they think about that sport having their name in it?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:05 pm For our younger members who barely know what it's like to beat the hated Packers...

I listened to that game on the radio. They sacked the Packers QBs so many tines, it was just beautiful. Still one of my favorite all-time games.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:07 pm

To me it's not about hurting a player, it's about big hits and players worrying about getting hit that way so they play "tight" and don't perform as well.
It was presenting a level of intimidation that had games half-won before they began. The Bears defenses of '85 and '86. Defenders, even All-Pros admitting they were afraid to play against Sweetness.
wab
Mod

dave99 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:27 pm

I hurt my ankle playing pickleball last weekend.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:26 pm Could you imagine if I had pulled up some classic Doug Plank footage?

Not sure what is better, the hit on the WR or the block he gets later at the end of the play. Fuckin monster!!!!!!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:05 pm For our younger members who barely know what it's like to beat the hated Packers...

man I have so many fond memories of watching that game ... and the fact they did it to them in Green Bay made it even more special :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:32 pm ... and the fact they did it to them in Green Bay made it even more special :toast:
apparently my memories are a bit flawed as I could have sworn this game was in Green Bay :oops:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dave99
Assistant Coach

Of course the game is pretty tame now compared to when I was a lad...
[video][/video]

Great description (paraphrasing)
He was like a storm rolling over a Kansas farmhouse. He came from all directions and all there was to do was to tie down what you could and hope he didn't take the roof.
~Knute Rockne
karhu
Head Coach

The biggest and probably the only prima donna on that team. When people wonder "How'd they only win one Super Bowl? They had Da Coach!", I think "You just answered your own question, buddy."
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

How could any Time Capsule from When We Growled be complete without the greatest football song of all time?

NASA should be beaming this into space in order to make first contact with aliens.