Senior Bowl 2024 - WR, QB, Etc

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

This is yet another in trend of good/deep WR crops

Ladd McConkey WR- Lots of Quickness and Great Routes. More athletic than you think - Not a pure Smurf either. He did struggle against the Press

Wilson- WR Michigan- Open immidaitely. Good Routes - Great Quickness- Some of that in 1 on 1s is that you can do a bunch of double moves etc (and there was some of that). But basically the only guy I saw cover him was the Toledo Corner (who is a stud)

Thrash - Louisville - Can't help thinking of James Thrash due to my age. But he's a nifty WR. Kept making plays

Other Georgia WR (Rosemy)- Kind of just a Guy

Tez Walker - North Carolina - Don't think anyone Hurt themselves more this week. Drop after Drop after Drop- It was borderline the Yips. Athletic ability was obvious and apparent. Beat CBs all the time with his speed/burst. Basically made no plays anyway including 1 on 1s
Comp: Orlando Jones in the Replacements

Luke McCaffrey - "WR" Still new to position - Still pretty good. Had a Rep where he beat the Toledo CB and that basically just didn't happen all week

Rice - If his last name was Smith not Rice - not even sure he's at the Senior Bowl. Maybe he tests better than he looks? But in 1 on 1s (*) he lacked speed, suddenness and separation. He will fight for it - but its not a good sign when you have to fight for it against Mid-Tier Senior Bowl Corners in 1 on 1s where you have the whole field to work with. He has kind of a Tight End skill set without Tight End Size

(*) Full Field - He actually was markedly better in Red Zone 1 on 1s

Pearsall - Florida looked fine - Solid WR - maybe getting a bit too much helium?

Corley / Legette - Both are gonna get Deebo Comps - Both seem to have the lower half of a HB. Both are gonna be tough to bring down in open field. Corley actually just punished a DB on a Route (clear flag against Corley but he also absolutely ragdolled him too). Both good routes, good speed, and quickness. Legette a bit banged up but played through it. Knock on Corley coming in was hands - but he caught everything well

Johnny Wilson - Red Zone threat. Crazy height for WR

Flournoy - Probably not even a top 10 WR here - and he's still clearly an NFL WR and draft pick - Crazy

Jha'Quan Jackson - Tulane - Good Bloodlines- Thought he made some plays and maybe had a bit more juice than people were thinking

QBs-
Intriguing Skill Set (That was kind of a theme - Better than Usual QB Skill Sets that you might be able to develop - Only a few (Notre Dame kid for example) where it's just an absolute waste to take them. Notre Dame kid didn't look like he belonged eitehr decision making wise or arm talent wise

Spencer Rattler had a nice week - and really has an intriguing Skill Set. He didn't have a great supporting cast in College - and seemingly needed to mature as well - But there is a skill set to dream on

Speaking of Skill Set to Dream on - Joe Milton - Maybe here's s Justin Fields/Josh Allen comp? Has every trait you could want - Size/ Speed and an absolute MONSTER Arm (Any other year besides the Josh Allen year and Pennix would have had the strongest arm - But here it wasn't even close- Joe Milton probably has the strongest arm I've seen watched Senior Bowl practices (including over Josh Allen)

I am not sure he really knows how to play Quarterback - Purely developmental prospect but with crazy traits

Bo Nix - Oregon - Really, really struggled Day 1. And its apparent relative to the other QBs that his skill set is weaker than the other top guys (or even developmental guys like Rattler and Joe Milton). He did get better as the week went on (which is what you want) but had no place to go but up. Certainly preferred Pennix to him

(*) NOTE: They changed the Footballs after Day 1 and that did seem to help all the QBs

Pennix - a bit up and down (as to be expected). I thought he was clearly better than Nix. Throws an excellent ball - maybe too good (saw him absolutely have one just get on a TE where it doinked off the kids chest before he could even get his hands up)
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I see a lot of the same stuff Rich said.

I am pretty high on Luke McCaffrey personally. (Higher than I am on Ladd, though the latter is obviously faster and has plenty of quickness himself.) Skill positions are one group where I put quite a bit of stock in college production. McCaffrey had it, McConkey not so much. Pearsall is like McCaffrey too, but also probably best suited as a guy playing in 3 WR sets.

Rosemy-Jacksaint was definitely JAG in Mobile. People I trust claim NFL teams think he's wired the right way, so it'll be interesting to see what that means on draft weekend, if anything. Also, I can see the perspective on Rice (and yes, if his name was, say, Rosemy-Jacksaint, I doubt he'd have a quarter of they hype he has), but he's likely to be a solid red-zone guy. Not much more than that, if he doesn't learn to run sharper routes, though.

My primary interest in Jha'Quan Jackson is as a PR.

Tez Walker is so hard to figure. I wonder how much not getting his waiver approved to play for so long hurt him this year, he never seemed in a rhythm. He has good hands but sure didn't show them in Mobile. His gauntlet drills at the Combine resemble his skill set much better. He's fast, athletic, and has been productive in the past. I still think he's an early Day 2 guy, but he has to catch the ball better than he did this season and (especially) post-season.

As for the QBs, Joe Milton should move to TE where he doesn't have to play QB; Bo Nix is reminiscent of Alex Smith, and MPJ reminds me of Jacoby Brissett (I do mean that in a good way).

Spencer Rattler's weight at the Senior Bowl was 219, but at the Combine it was 211. I suspect he plays closer to the former than the latter (and losing weight didn't help him run much faster anyway). His Senior Bowl measurements were pretty darn close to Tua Tagovailoa coming out of Alabama in 2020. Rattler's arm is better, mind you — not great, but good. He's got some Gardner Minshew in his game, for good and for bad.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 pm
I am pretty high on Luke McCaffrey personally.
Yeah, I'm scratching my head wondering how a guy with that brand can be underrated.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.