Bears trade 5th rd pick to Bills for OL Ryan Bates

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

I don't hate it.
obviously Poles has liked this guy for multiple years, last year he was mostly the Bills backup C, but he's also played both G spots.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Interesting, I thought they would be hoping Morse was a cap casualty not help them clear space.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think he's a depth piece. Back-up C and G. Like Whitehair was, but better. I still expect Poles to target a starting veteran C in FA.
UOK
Site Admin

This tells me that

1. The Bears have already gotten a trade in place for Fields that will recoup that pick and probably a bit more

2. The number 9 pick is for sale, big time
IotaNet
MVP

UOK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:52 pm
Why? (Sincerely asking)
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
UOK
Site Admin

IotaNet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:55 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:52 pm
Why? (Sincerely asking)
Hard to build infrastructure with a four player draft class.

Edit: five players, but still

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bates is under contract for 2 more years at what looks to be a shade under $5m for each. There are a couple of void years tagged on too.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bil ... tes-29527/

27 years old, 5 years of NFL experience, 73 games but only 19 starts with 15 coming in 2022. He didn't start any games last season.

Not sure I see the value in giving up anything for him but Poles clearly likes him a lot.
IotaNet
MVP

In other words, they’re not going to get the haul from trading the first pick (they’re drafting Williams), so they’re going to do the next best thing — trading their OTHER first round pick?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The guy only played 35 offensive snaps last season. In a year where Poles doesn't have an abundance of picks it seems a curious move to give one up for a backup.

You've got to think he's being earmarked as a potential center. He played 137 snaps there in 2022 (with 810 at RG) and all 35 snaps last year. It won't preclude Poles going after a center in free agency but perhaps makes it more likely he'll be after one in the draft instead.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Here’s what this makes me think—they gained draft and positional flexibility.

They’re not hard up to reach for a center now. It means they’re not going to buy one in FA, either. I think it means they’re hoping a center they like falls to them in R3/4 and if they miss, they still have Bates. It’s also insurance that the C they want, if he drops to them, struggles with assignments early, they have this guy. And further, between Jenkins (not dependable) and N. Davis (myriad issues), they’re covered. And if no center is there that they like, they can anoint Bates the starter, and get a really solid OG to groom.

@Bears Whiskey Nut Right on about the Whitehair replacement. Better contract and minus the yips and probably much more gas still in the tank.

I can’t say I disagree with the notion that we might be selling that #9 pick, especially for a team looking to come up for a QB. I just hope we can trade just far enough back to where we still get quality where we move to as well as the additional picks we want as opposed to dropping out of all the difference makers at WR, DE and T.

Consider this—The Steelers, who maybe aren’t our trade parters for JF1, might want to move from 20 to 9 for a QB. If we dropped back to there, the trade value chart would line up almost perfectly for them to send us their R2 and R3 this year, and boom, we’re back to flush with picks in good places. Now…let’s get a little more nuts: At pick 20, you could still be looking at DE Chop Robinson or if you’d like to go this high, shoot your shot and take Powers Johnson the mutant center. You still have the Stillers’ pick in the early 50s in R2 to take the best WR on the board available. Maybe Legette or McConkey or WIlson (or whomever you like from that tier).

It’s going to be one heck of a fun draft to take in.
Last edited by Noots on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LacertineForest
MVP

Yeah, I think they know what they're looking at for a Fields trade - maybe a 3rd and a 5th - hopefully a 2nd and a 5th. Trade down a few from 9 and pick up more assets while still getting a top player. Poles continues to surprise, though. He's hard to read.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Just in case anyone forgot how this went down a couple years ago:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/ ... sheet.html
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

UOK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:52 pm This tells me that

1. The Bears have already gotten a trade in place for Fields that will recoup that pick and probably a bit more

Or the Bears really hate the talent level in the back half of the draft.
Cartman
Practice Squad

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:20 pm The guy only played 35 offensive snaps last season. In a year where Poles doesn't have an abundance of picks it seems a curious move to give one up for a backup.

You've got to think he's being earmarked as a potential center. He played 137 snaps there in 2022 (with 810 at RG) and all 35 snaps last year. It won't preclude Poles going after a center in free agency but perhaps makes it more likely he'll be after one in the draft instead.
I was thinking something similar. So you gave up you 5th round pick for a second string player. Doesn't make sense. We don't need backups. We need starters. Our oline isn't very good at all. I don't care who the QB is, we need a better oline than we've had for the past decade if you expect the quarterback to perform well. This move doesn't improve the line, imo.

And I'm not sure he'll play center. They could have him earmarked to start over Nate Davis at guard and still go after a center in the draft or free agency. Who knows. But I think we overpaid for a backup.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Cartman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:31 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:20 pm The guy only played 35 offensive snaps last season. In a year where Poles doesn't have an abundance of picks it seems a curious move to give one up for a backup.

I was thinking something similar. So you gave up you 5th round pick for a second string player. Doesn't make sense. We don't need backups. We need starters. Our oline isn't very good at all. I don't care who the QB is, we need a better oline than we've had for the past decade if you expect the quarterback to perform well. This move doesn't improve the line, imo.

And I'm not sure he'll play center. They could have him earmarked to start over Nate Davis at guard and still go after a center in the draft or free agency. Who knows. But I think we overpaid for a backup.
Planning on a 5th rounder being a starter is not a good plan. You pay a bit more cash this way, but you get a guy you know can play in the NFL. The guy you take with the pick could be stocking shelves at Wal-Nart once the season starts. 50/50 chance or so I’d think.
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:21 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:52 pm This tells me that

Or the Bears really hate the talent level in the back half of the draft.
Or at the very least, they think Bates is a better interior lineman than what they believe they can land there. (He's certainly more proven.)

Not sure I completely agree with #1 from @UOK but I do agree with #2.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Go back and watch Bates play the Bears in December 2022 (-15 degrees.) He started every snap at C that game in place for a concussed Mitch Morse. He was quite good, albeit against a terrible interior DL. He sprung nice runs by getting up and sealing the Bears (shitty) linebackers.

For what we're paying: Cap it of below $4M for a "in his prime," incredibly versatile veteran with an excellent injury history? I'll take that no problem for a 5th round dart-throw.

It's a no brainer. His floor is an excellent backup at all three interior positions and his ceiling is a starting C.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Poles knows what he’s doing. :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I like the move. We need the IOL depth and it's a good hedge just in case FA doesn't bear (no pun intended) fruit.

It also lessens the need to draft IOL. A fifth rounder for, at a minimum, a good backup and maybe your starting C? OK.

I wouldn't read too much into this means this or that for the 1 or 9. Yes we don't have that many picks, but trading the 9 wouldn't yield a lot of quantity without a massive trade down.

However, trading the 1 would get a ton.

@wab

What do you think of this guy?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I think we're looking at the new starting center for the team if Poles doesn't want to spend on one in FA. Kind of surprised, there are a couple of guys who were cut already out there who seem about equal in ability plus FA unofficially starts in 5 days. If, as seems from this move, Poles didn't want to sign a top dollar center, there will be the Evan Browns, etc. who could have been signed without giving up scarce draft capital. But he could still sign a 2nd tier guy for more C depth.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
cblaz11
MVP

I don’t love the move but I don’t hate it..he’s an upgrade over Whitehair and Patrick IMO, and with Jenkins and Davis reliability, he’s going to come in handy. He’s better then what we would get there…

Only reason I hate it is because of our overall lack of draft capital but the inevitable Fields trade fixes that.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

I like the guy and did when we tried to sign him last time. Didn't the Bills kind of pimp us at the last minute when we signed him to an offer sheet? Then they don't even use him. Always curious.

As for the move down from #9, its always been in my plans. I have Brian Thomas Jr. and Adnoai Mitchell targeted on a move down. Love both these tall smooth speedsters.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I like it alot! I wanted a high draft pick rookie C and a guy like this. His name not Sam or Lucas so that makes me happy!
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

This move, at the very least, should spell the end of the Lucas Patrick experiment. He will probably end up in Vegas with Getsy.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
thunderspirit
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:02 am
Only reason I hate it is because of our overall lack of draft capital but the inevitable Fields trade fixes that.
Draft pick = player, and it doesn't much matter whether it's a player selected or a player traded for.

Yes, there are always financial considerations with the latter move; but a team without current cap issues can take advantage of a team with them in moves like this.

Maybe it'll flop, but most of us would be happy with a 5th round pick being a potential starting offensive lineman.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:20 am Poles knows what he’s doing. :thumbsup:
He gave a R6 for 1 yr of Dan Feeney
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
spudbear
MVP

I sometimes wondered if Patrick was on the squad to help Fields. With Patrick banged up so much it didn't help the continuity of the offense. If they're changing QB's then it's time to change Center. As others said we'll have to trust in Poles and his ability to find able bodies for the OL. As far as taking a gamble on a low round pick for depth, Poles did that with Kramer (R6). The results have been uneven at best, so giving up a 5th rounder for depth is not a high price.

As far as teams wanting to trade for the Bears #9 pick for a QB, the pool just decreased with Russell Wilson now being available for cheap. Teams like Vegas, New Orleans or even Pittsburgh will have to consider bidding for Wilson rather than giving up draft capital for a rookie QB. The Bears need playmakers on both sides of the ball, and the chance of getting a good one at #9 are better than possible ones from a trade down.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

This is a solid move. I pushed for the Bates signing two years ago and was disappointed in Poles offer sheet (thought he made it too easy to match). Poles obviously likes the player, as do I. I saw he was not starting last year but he will probably start for us - he’s solid and a step up from Patrick/Whitehair. And cheap. Plugs a huge need at C and IOL depth with the departures of Patrick and Whitehair. Allows for more flexibility in the draft, and FA, as we aren’t forced to overpay or overdraft anyone. Good move all around.

I give no shits about the 5th round pick. Good move by Poles who continues to be a man of his word and value the OL! He’s close to having a great line, something we haven’t had since 2006!