Senior Bowl 2024 : OL

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

OT - Houston - Paul Huge Frame, Long Arms. Project. Didn't really use his arms very well And usually let the DL dictate the Rep in 1 on 1s. He wasn't losing every rep and seemed to have solid strength and feet. Good bloodlines (think his brother plays for Washington?). But he's a project and I didn't love the manner. It's ok for a Tackle to be "Patient" (Can every be a great trait). But he was more Passive than anything. Passivity is a Bad Trait and that is one that is IMHO Hard to Coach away from

v.
OT - Guyton Oklahoma - Another guy who absolutely looks the Part, Absolutely crazy good feet for a guy his size - He's super raw so the feet were extra impressive. Every OL Coach is gonna bang the table for him because he has all the traits. He also isn't all that great currently. I don't think you should start him as a Tackle as a Rookie....I'd either give him a year at Guard or just a Red Shirt year. Better demeanor than Houston's big OT though - so that is a good thing (not sure you can Coach that). When he got beat (and it happened more than it should for a guy you are projecting as a Top 20 pick) it has always top half of body /hands. Some were suggesting that it might be functional strength in his upper body/hands . Maybe? To me it just looked like he didn't really know what to do with his hands. He hasn't played much OL so that might not come as a crazy surprise and you can make the case for that being something you get better on. But he isn't anywhere near where he needs to be yet. (Better Brian O'Neill?)

Oregon Tackle - Fuaga - I thought I was going to like him less than I did - But he was the Best Tackle here. Good Rep v. UCLA Pass Rusher. Feet are Solid (you can tell a clear difference between like him and Guyton but he's no plodder either) I think he's a better version of Darnell Wright but a lesser P. Sewell
- I would draft him ahead of the Penn State kid

Javon Foster - Missouri - Tackle in College - Guard all day in the Pros- Stretched to be a Tackle - Really good Pop in his Hands though - Could be an excellent Guard

Washington OT - Up and Down - Some nice Reps, Thought he had the Feet to be a Tackle, has some Shock in his hands

Puni - Kansas had some good reps - Pro Interior OL, Solid Rep v Baylor

Isiah Adams - Illinois - Another guy you can draft in 3rd-5th Round - plug and play starter but will never be Elite. Guard in Pros

Seems like a relatively deep Center Class
(though they kept showing Zach Frazier's name - I never saw him)

Oregon - Powers-Johnson - Clear best center here and has some real size for a Center - Can't speak to smarts (just not a thing here) but great anchor. I don't think he was as good as the Creed Humphrey week here but he has more physical traits. For a guy his size - he's pretty quick coming off the ball

Raym, Limmer, Turner III (maybe Guard not Center?) - All Battlers with traits that should let them have NFL Careers Turner III probably the best of the bunch

Haynes - UConn developmental Guard - Reps at Center were markedly worse than at Guard - Did get his helmet ripped off and stayed in the mix.

Wisconsin kid - Did not like, Bulled and fell down on one Rep

Glaze - Maryland - Tackle who will be a Guard - not my favorite. Ditto Coleman TCU - Who had a really tough Day 1. He played better Day 2 and 3 but not "well". I didn't see much to hang my hat on even moving him to Guard

BYU - OT Didn't seem to show many of his One on One Reps (maybe 1? and it was ok?). But in Team Drills - Where it can be tough to see everything unless you are focussing on a particular guy - He stood out in a bad way. Beaten - Badly and Quickly- by Penn States Isaac on consecutive sacks. Apparently he's gonna test really well - but didn't seem to move all that great

Henderson - Michigan - Comically bad. "No Brakes" (just no anchor), Gave up Sack in Team, Knocked Down by a Pop in the Warm Up drills (ouch)

Biggest Stock Down OL for me (besides BYU) - Morgan - Arizona - I didn't see a Tackle at all - Was he hurt? I have him Guard all the way - and even then he wasn't my Favorite Guard option
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Guyton to Philly makes all the sense in the world IMHO. They love drafting Line early - and he can sit a year and learn from Lane Johnson - who probably has 1-2 years left anyway. A little bit of what they did with Jurgens mixed with what they did with J. Mailata

One of the best Draft fits.

Best FA fit - Mooney to KC
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Doh

Forgot Christian Jones - OT Texas. I really liked him. Not like as a 1st Rounder. But I thought he had some length and decent arm usage. I think he can stick at Tackle. Not all his Reps were pretty (Definately one where he got put on his back). But I thought there was some upside there - AT LEAST as a Swing Tackle worst case
wulfy
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:04 am Haynes - UConn developmental Guard - Reps at Center were markedly worse than at Guard - Did get his helmet ripped off and stayed in the mix.
Haynes is a player I like in the 3rd round as possibly the long term center. With the trade of Bates, perhaps he could be someone they look at as a developmental type. Based on what I saw of him at the Senior Bowl, I think he's got a good bit of nastiness and moves pretty well. But I didn't see him take snaps at either position - just the 1:1s.

Pretty good RAS - I don't think Poles will look at at an OL under 9.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:17 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:04 am Haynes - UConn developmental Guard - Reps at Center were markedly worse than at Guard - Did get his helmet ripped off and stayed in the mix.
Haynes is a player I like in the 3rd round as possibly the long term center. With the trade of Bates, perhaps he could be someone they look at as a developmental type. Based on what I saw of him at the Senior Bowl, I think he's got a good bit of nastiness and moves pretty well. But I didn't see him take snaps at either position - just the 1:1s.

Pretty good RAS - I don't think Poles will look at at an OL under 9.
And it could be that hey he's new to Center this week - so take it with a grain of salt

But - at center - no bueno