Russ to the Steelers

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

🤷‍♂️
LacertineForest
MVP

I mean, it does make some sense for them because they get him for a year for basically free (and even if he's good and they want to resign him, the fact that Denver will be eating a big portion of his contract then, too, will help with that first year). If he sucks, they can just bench him/cut him without much of a drop off, they didn't give up a pick for him, and they can still draft a guy to develop if they want to.

It will really be interesting to see where Cousins ends up - he's the last major domino to fall. If he returns to Minnesota, you have to wonder if that will force Atlanta's hand to go after Fields or look to the draft again with pick #8.
spudbear
MVP

Somewhat surprising he signed for a one year deal without any future considerations. It makes me wonder if other teams backed off of his demands for big $$ after 2025, so he decided to have a prove-it season and Pittsburgh was the best candidate for him to make it back into the playoffs.

This Cousins courting thing is interesting. I don't have a good feel for how the Vikes want to shape their future. Letting Hunter go is almost a nod to them being in the rebuild phase. They have some other talent along the front but their DB's are below average, so weak pass rush = porous D. They have a great WR in Jefferson but who is going to get him the ball?

If Cousins does go to Atlanta I would not be surprised to see the Falcons draft a QB with their #8 pick. I believe Poles is biding his time with Fields and waiting to see how desperate the Falcons will be if they don't get Cousins. ATL has been in QB quandary since Ryan left, and they have enough talent on both sides of the ball to compete if they can get their QB situation settled.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Russ is like the anti-Arthur Smith QB.

Should be interesting.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I think they still like Pickett but he's just not quite ready. So bringing in Russ for a year for basically free make a lot of sense.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:49 am Russ is like the anti-Arthur Smith QB.

Should be interesting.
Very true. If, as reported, Arthur Smith didn't want Fields, well, Wilson is in the same mold.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:42 am
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:49 am Russ is like the anti-Arthur Smith QB.

Should be interesting.
Very true. If, as reported, Arthur Smith didn't want Fields, well, Wilson is in the same mold.
Except more hard-headed about it. Yeah.
KFFL refugee.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:01 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:42 am

Except more hard-headed about it. Yeah.
And a decade older :lol:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:34 am I think they still like Pickett but he's just not quite ready. So bringing in Russ for a year for basically free make a lot of sense.
They've said publicly that they want a QB competition. If Pickett rises to the occasion, he'll be the starter.

Odd they inquired about trading for Fields. I have no idea why you'd bring another young MAYBE starter into that situation. Maybe they changed their mind on Pickett for some reason.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:38 pm
wab wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:34 am I think they still like Pickett but he's just not quite ready. So bringing in Russ for a year for basically free make a lot of sense.
They've said publicly that they want a QB competition. If Pickett rises to the occasion, he'll be the starter.

Odd they inquired about trading for Fields. I have no idea why you'd bring another young MAYBE starter into that situation. Maybe they changed their mind on Pickett for some reason.
Oh, well, based on his past reaction to things while in Seattle, Wilson will unquestionably be pleased about that set-up and won't disrupt the locker room if it doesn't go his way at all.
KFFL refugee.

Heinz D.
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:47 pm Oh, well, based on his past reaction to things while in Seattle, Wilson will unquestionably be pleased about that set-up and won't disrupt the locker room if it doesn't go his way at all.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I can’t imagine Mike tomlin strangling Wilson on the sidelines while remaining cool calm and collected, except for his stare.