Bears sign RB D'Andre Swift to 3yr, $24M contract

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Terrible move. Waste of money. Should have just drafted a back.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:56 pm Terrible move. Waste of money. Should have just drafted a back.
This harsh?

What do you think the overpay was here? It's not a great HB draft
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:57 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:56 pm Terrible move. Waste of money. Should have just drafted a back.
This harsh?

I don't think you should ever pay a running back. Ever.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:57 pm

This harsh?

So just league minimum? Like if you get a Top 10 HB and it cost 4 million a year that's death?

I can't go that far.

Here's what I'd encourage. Figure out an actual number that you'd be happy with on a legit starting HB (it can be low but it really should be higher than vet min IMHO)

And then say its 5 million a year and Swift costs 7ish. Is 2 million a year in Cap (per year) worth say a 3rd Round pick?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:02 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 pm

So just league minimum? Like if you get a Top 10 HB and it cost 4 million a year that's death?

I can't go that far.

Here's what I'd encourage. Figure out an actual number that you'd be happy with on a legit starting HB (it can be low but it really should be higher than vet min IMHO)

And then say its 5 million a year and Swift costs 7ish. Is 2 million a year in Cap (per year) worth say a 3rd Round pick?
I think every year or every other year you should be drafting a back and scraping the udfa pile for backs. Build your line, invest in your pass catchers and churn thru a stable of back. Just how I would do it. Backs are too easily replaced
wab
Mod

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:12 pm

I can't go that far.

I think every year or every other year you should be drafting a back and scraping the udfa pile for backs. Build your line, invest in your pass catchers and churn thru a stable of back. Just how I would do it. Backs are too easily replaced
5 of the very first FA signings were backs.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:25 pm

5 of the very first FA signings were backs.
And I think every one of them was a waste of money.
wab
Mod

I would submit to you that the NFL disagrees.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I can't go that far.

They are? Guess it depends on the back:

docc
Head Coach

^^the problem...only have been one of them...

EVER...
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm generally in the draft a RB each year camp.

That said, this year's draft is not particularly strong at RB, and when that happens in a draft class it usually means guys get overdrafted relative to their value, commonly by about a round. So guys with a R4 grade wind up going in R3, R5 guys in R4, and UDFA guys in R6-7.

In such years, it might make sense to spend cap money on veterans who aren't breaking the bank. Swift is getting more than I'd expected, but not ridiculously more; plus, he just turned 25 and thus fits Poles' MO in free agency.

I wouldn't say I'm thrilled with the move, but I'm not shaking my head in disgust at it either.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I can't go that far.

The only exception to this is if you back into a franchise RB. The dice rolls your way on Draft Day and you get a guy. Then keep him.

But otherwise, yeah, for sure, I'd rather put the money into the OL.
The Kaiser
Assistant Coach

I'm actually quite surprised that we offered this much for a middling RB with an injury history and just average production. I expected better from Poles.
malk
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:30 am I'm generally in the draft a RB each year camp.

That said, this year's draft is not particularly strong at RB, and when that happens in a draft class it usually means guys get overdrafted relative to their value, commonly by about a round. So guys with a R4 grade wind up going in R3, R5 guys in R4, and UDFA guys in R6-7.

In such years, it might make sense to spend cap money on veterans who aren't breaking the bank. Swift is getting more than I'd expected, but not ridiculously more; plus, he just turned 25 and thus fits Poles' MO in free agency.

I wouldn't say I'm thrilled with the move, but I'm not shaking my head in disgust at it either.
Genuine question here, does anyone ever go back and check whether these pre draft assertions are correct? I.e. it's a bad year for x or y position? Always makes me wonder given how much of a lottery the draft ends up being.

Back to Swift, my gut reaction was to hate the move but I think I'm talking myself around. The relative overpay for RBs isn't the worst outside of that top 6 getting $12m or more. We're currently spending a little over $10m on 4 running backs and could cut Homer to drop that to a little over $8m. So given our other two backs are on rookie deals this is fine. Plus even absent that, the extra above a $4m per average veteran isn't massive. So not the most efficient use of cap but we're not particularly constrained so why not.

Then on performance there's quite a bit to like on headline stats. 12th in attempts, 5th in yards last year, also 8th in yards per attempt. In yards from scrimmage he was 19th, 11th out of all running backs.

6th in rushing success percentage too. Receiving success percentage is much lower down at 42.9%, 127th overall in the yards from scrimmage stats. That's something I'd want to see tape on as his catch percentage was good at 79.6% so there's something going on there.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
spudbear
MVP

Many of us have bemoaned the lack of playmakers on offense. Getting Swift is a no-vote for Herbert being one going forward, or at the very least hedging their bets in case Herbert does not improve from last season. RoJo is not going to be a home-run hitter but will be a workhorse back. It's all about scoring points, and Poles found a sweet spot for a potential homerun hitter with Swift.

In spite of having babyGOAT at QB, the Chiefs still need some kind of running game to keep defenses honest. When the RB's they had (like Hunt) got too expensive they drafted or found a FA. They did get lucky with the 7th rounder out of Rutgers (one of my alma maters) but he's still on a cheap rookie contract. If he gets too expensive with his next contract then it will be lather rinse repeat.

I don't understand teams paying well over $10M/yr for a RB. With as few draft picks as the Bears have, Poles needs to use them on slots besides RB. Next year could be a different story.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

C- grade
Dardango
Journeyman

I agree. This team has a terrible history lately of 'patching the tires' with free agents, rather than drafting and developing our own. Then when they get all these new wonderful toys off of other teams' rosters, the people running this team never seem to know how to evaluate or deploy them. Look at how D'Onta Foreman was shelved on the practice squad for weeks, before injuries finally got him onto the field where he showed he was the best back on the roster. You can go back to the Mike Davis signing in Monty's rookie year and the guy had like 10 carries in the whole season. Player personnel management in this organization has been abysmal enough to not justify the expenditures in free agency.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m giving it a thumbsup :thumbsup:

There are many “rules” - don’t pay backs being one of them.
There’s also a rule not to go into the draft with major holes in your roster.

I think Poles has gone with the latter rule.
He’s replaced/upgraded EJax
He’s upgraded Tonyan
He’s upgraded Foreman
He’s upgraded Patrick/Whitehair.

He needs to upgrade Mooney but he could be aiming to do this in the draft or another amazing trade like last year (DJ Moore).
How about a trade involving Fields & DK Metcalfe?

Anyway, I’m in favour of his moves. Take what you can from FA but don’t overpay. That’s another rule.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I will say, despite my hatred of paying backs, on sundays(and the occasional Monday/thursday) I'll be a swift fan. During the rest of the week I will hate this move. At least this move is on the correct side of the team. I hope Poles signs and drafts a WR high to take the sting off a bit.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:02 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:53 am Anybody know what Swift's pass blocking is like? It was a major weakness of the Bears RBs last season.
PFF has him graded a few spots below Herbert - in the 40's.

I'm baffled.

On the radio, they were raving about his pass pro.
And really, having excellent pass blocking was the only way in which I could make any sense of this move.
If it's not true, then ???
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:07 am I will say, despite my hatred of paying backs, on sundays(and the occasional Monday/thursday) I'll be a swift fan.
Oh no, HurricaneBear's officially a "Swiftie"! :sick:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:59 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:07 am I will say, despite my hatred of paying backs, on sundays(and the occasional Monday/thursday) I'll be a swift fan.
Oh no, HurricaneBear's officially a "Swiftie"! :sick:
I just became a Swiftie too.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:21 am I just became a Swiftie too.
Oh dear, Mrs Yogi will be disappointed. I hear you can get some numbing gel to help with that these days. ;)
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Nothing wrong with being a Swiftie, whether it's Taylor or D'Andre. :D
KFFL refugee.

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:46 am Nothing wrong with being a Swiftie, whether it's Taylor or D'Andre. :D
Swifties for Simone: UNITE! lol

No Mrs. Yogi HRS. Been divorced for 24 years.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:34 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:46 am Nothing wrong with being a Swiftie, whether it's Taylor or D'Andre. :D
Swifties for Simone: UNITE! lol

No Mrs. Yogi HRS. Been divorced for 24 years.
See, I've been married for over 25 years.

...not all to the same person, mind you.
KFFL refugee.

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:33 am
G08 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:27 am

I think Swift has more juice / is more dynamic than Herbert.
I guess.

Shot out of a fucking cannon

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

I think he's our Kenneth Walker III

I think Roschon Johnson will be our (slower) Zach Charbonnet but could be RB3

Curious what the role will be for Khalil Herbert...

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:25 pm I think he's our Kenneth Walker III

I think Roschon Johnson will be our (slower) Zach Charbonnet but could be RB3

Curious what the role will be for Khalil Herbert...
Still…I guess?

Averages about 600 yards a season…about the same YPG and YPC as Herbert.

He’s a better receiver out of the backfield and averages more touchdowns per year. So that’s good. Ranks worse than Herbert as a blocker.

I don’t know what moves the needle here, other than he’s Herbert without the injury.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Like the move. He’s on my keepers roster. Now if we can just go get Mike Williams. I’ll have a few Bears to pick from on game day.