Bears trade 4th rd pick to Chargers for WR Keenan Allen

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:43 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:20 pm Passing on a top QB prospect for a large haul of R1 and R2 picks for the next two or three years sets the franchise up for the rest of the decade.
That's...not a thing? And, it won't be a thing?
It's not a thing? What did Poles get for the #1 pick last year?
  • DJ Moore
  • 2023 R1 #9
  • 2023 R2 #61
  • 2024 R1
  • 2025 R2
Replace DJ Moore with another future R1 pick (surely he would have been worth that in a straight trade?) and that's parlaying the #1 pick into 3 R1s and 2 R2s. Williams is supposed to be the hottest QB prospect in at least the last decade and you don't think another similar haul is a possibility?

Look what Poles has already acquired as a result:
  • A top 10 WR in DJ Moore
  • A promising starting RT in Darnell Wright
  • A promising starting CB in Tyrique Stevenson (following a trade up costing a R5 pick)
  • Another top WR in Keenan Allen (with a R4 pick acquired by trading down one spot from the #9 last year which was part of the trade for the #1)
And he still has the #1 pick in this draft and a R2 pick in the next.

Last year's trade has already had a major impact allowing Poles to acquire 4 starters with more to come. How can another trade along these lines not set the franchise up for the rest of the decade?
Heinz D. wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:43 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:20 pm I just don't see the acquisition of Allen gives any indication of Poles intentions regarding the QB position or #1 pick.
So, you think the decision was made in a vaccuum? They'd be getting Keenan Allen no matter what?
No I don't think the decision was made in a vaccuum. I just don't see that it tips Poles hand to us or anyone else as to what he's going to do in the draft. How does acquiring Allen make it any more or less certain that he's going to keep Fields or draft a QB?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I chose a good day to drive my mother in law all around Florida 😳
LacertineForest
MVP

Still can't believe they got him for a 4th:

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm
UOK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:44 pm

This PICK A SIDE, binary civil war of Bears QB thought is awful, and some of you need to calm the hell down. This is not life or death. You have survived much worse as a fan. It shouldn't mean THIS much to you, and making somebody else feel bad because you disagree with their Quarterback Opinion really, really sucks.
I'm glad the Bears didn't have the first pick when Manning, Newton, Burrow, Stafford, or Luck were available.
I'd call them a lucky bunch of QBs. This may the very first time I believe we can draft a QB and not screw it up because we've managed to do it with every top QB we've had so far post Mac. I'm finally willing to trust them to do this right for once.
Last edited by Bearfacts on Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearfacts
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:20 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:49 pm
I'm confused. Explain?
You said you don't make the trade for Allen if you're keeping Fields but attempt to drop down and draft Harrison. I don't see how that's a conclusion that can be reached. Harrison isn't the be all and end all. Poles could trade the #1 pick to a team outside the top 3 expecting the Cardinals will take Harrison with #4 because the return is higher. In fact if he's going to trade the pick then trading back further is the move to make. Passing on a top QB prospect for a couple of picks is foolhardy. Passing on a top QB prospect for a large haul of R1 and R2 picks for the next two or three years sets the franchise up for the rest of the decade.

I just don't see the acquisition of Allen gives any indication of Poles intentions regarding the QB position or #1 pick.
This is a scenario I have rolling around in my head based on CW and MHJr as the two top ranked picks in this draft.

Trade #1 is with Wash for a premium of current 2024 and 2025 picks or even a player like a DT. The DT would take some doing though because there isn't any cap space right now to take on another big contract. I set a 2025 1st and two 2nds along with #2 as a base plus whatever Poles can wring out of it.

Trade #2 is with AZ who according to rumor would like MHJr. Based only on straight draft value chart numbers it costs AZ their 2024 2nd and 3rd plus whatever Poles can get as a premium for the top WR in this draft and we end up with #4 and #9 but have added at least two 2024 2nds and a 3rd now. Poles also has another 2025 1st giving him two in the next draft as well and maybe two 2nds.

Poles takes Odunze at #4 before SD can nab him and we quite possibly have a younger version of Keenan Allen on board to develop and replace Allen. It also eliminates a need to trade out of #9 for more picks and makes it an option much like last year. Poles ends up with #4 and #9. Two or three high 2nd round picks and two high 3rd round picks. That's 6-7 picks in the top 75 players plus a 4th he already has from Philly. He's giving up two of the top ranked players in this draft but end up with 7-8 picks rather than 4. Plus he has no less than another 2025 1st. If he wants to keep building via the draft that's an attractive bucket of picks to do it with.
Bearfacts
MVP

Plak1989 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:15 pm
UOK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:47 am

To be fair, view this situation through the lens of somebody who

- has routinely viewed and played football through the lens of high school/collegiate levels
- grew up in times when the NFL was much less QB-driven and not nearly as valuable

I think there's a lot of logical, if not old-fashioned posturing that is afforded to fans who prefer a particular era or mentality or philosophy in terms of football ops. It's uncomfortable, especially for much older fans, to accept that the amount of power players, much less rookies, have, especially quarterbacks, in the modern game.
Just say it: this board is filled with boomers pining for the days of dick butkus and Mike ditka. It's 2024. The game of football has changed drastically.
I may resemble that remark but ummmm.....if you've paid any attention at all to the Butkus era it wasn't very good. In fact it was pretty horseshit with a one win season thrown in along with two of the worst HC we've ever had in Jim Dooley and Abe Gibron. The Ditka era was far better but ended poorly and was rife with it's own QB problems. So no, I'm not pining for either young 'un. ;)
Bearfacts
MVP

UOK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:44 pm

Just say it: this board is filled with boomers pining for the days of dick butkus and Mike ditka. It's 2024. The game of football has changed drastically.
I’d rather roll my eyes at table-pounding old-timers than appeal to the “LETS GOOOO”/“that’s fire!🔥 “/no cap/bet youth demographic.
LOL.....they do seem to an impatient lot don't they? :jump:
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:23 pm I chose a good day to drive my mother in law all around Florida 😳
:rofl: :rofl: :rimshot:
Bearfacts
MVP

LacertineForest wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:26 pm Still can't believe they got him for a 4th:

Given his $23 mil plus price tag with no hope of a price cut and his age I'd say SD did pretty well. They came across the right buyer at just the right time and timing is everything when it comes to maximizing deals. I'm 100% certain it's why Poles is also biding his time. The price for the #1 pick or for JF isn't gonna go down from now 'til draft day and I have a feeling he'll get what he expects for either.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:23 pm I chose a good day to drive my mother in law all around Florida 😳
The only way my mother-in-law is getting in my car is if she's zip tied in the trunk on the way to quarry.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

- has routinely viewed and played football through the lens of high school/collegiate levels
- grew up in times when the NFL was much less QB-driven and not nearly as valuable

I think there's a lot of logical, if not old-fashioned posturing that is afforded to fans who prefer a particular era or mentality or philosophy in terms of football ops. It's uncomfortable, especially for much older fans, to accept that the amount of power players, much less rookies, have, especially quarterbacks, in the modern game.
OK, this will be #4 for the Ignore feature.
Heinz D.
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 pm It's not a thing? What did Poles get for the #1 pick last year?
Explain how one extra first round pick is a "large haul" of first round picks?

Seems like it's a single pick, to me? Please explain how one pick is actually multiple picks?
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 pm Last year's trade has already had a major impact allowing Poles to acquire 4 starters with more to come. How can another trade along these lines not set the franchise up for the rest of the decade?
Because a franchise quarterback is the most important thing for your football team to have? And you can't "set the franchise up" if you don't have one of those guys?

You can disagree with Poles, and that's fine. That's how fandom works. The thing right now is that Poles thinks he needs an upgrade at quarterback.
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 pm No I don't think the decision was made in a vaccuum. I just don't see that it tips Poles hand to us or anyone else as to what he's going to do in the draft. How does acquiring Allen make it any more or less certain that he's going to keep Fields or draft a QB?
Beause Poles thinks that swapping Fields for Williams instantly upgrades the passing game. That's why he went for a rock solid WR2.

I honestly don't understand the slavish devotion to Fields...so I'm going to stop addressing it. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense to me. What has he done to inspire that? I find it weird.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
LacertineForest
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:13 am
LacertineForest wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:26 pm Still can't believe they got him for a 4th:

Given his $23 mil plus price tag with no hope of a price cut and his age I'd say SD did pretty well. They came across the right buyer at just the right time and timing is everything when it comes to maximizing deals. I'm 100% certain it's why Poles is also biding his time. The price for the #1 pick or for JF isn't gonna go down from now 'til draft day and I have a feeling he'll get what he expects for either.
Sure - they were in a bind, but if you told me before free agency that the Bears would come away with Keenan Allen for a 4th round pick I would have thought you were nuts. Now, we'll see what an extension looks like (I'm assuming one gets done), but getting a guy with his production and having the franchise tag as leverage for next year is a pretty damn good get, if you ask me.

But putting the contract aside, just thinking about how this suddenly makes the offense so much more dynamic is what really excites me.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Rather than criticise people for their age, maybe open your mind and try and appreciate their point of view.

Being younger you won’t understand but you will in 15years time
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:39 pm Reminder, this is a Keenan Allen thread. Eff JF and CW. They have their own place.

Can we talk about Allen's righteous beard? Amazing.
Best since Lovie?

In keeping with this thread, the Bears #2 receiver on the current rost had 128 yards last year. 4th rounder for a 6 time pro bowler, over 1000 yards last year? All day long. He's not the burner type of receiver. His age might be a factor in more injuries but not his route running, which is considered top notch. Now if the Bears can add one of the taller WRs, should be something to see.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I wouldn’t mind a brief extension and I wouldn’t mind if it’s an expensive rental. This is like getting a an Uber X instead of a regular Uber cuz it’s your anniversary. Poles is determined that WR will not be the reason his QB struggles next year. With some luck, can also draft Keenan’s replacement at 9 and keep it rolling.
xyt in the discord chats
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I hope for an extension that’s a 3 year deal, with an out after 2.
Bearfacts
MVP

LacertineForest wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:39 am

Sure - they were in a bind, but if you told me before free agency that the Bears would come away with Keenan Allen for a 4th round pick I would have thought you were nuts. Now, we'll see what an extension looks like (I'm assuming one gets done), but getting a guy with his production and having the franchise tag as leverage for next year is a pretty damn good get, if you ask me.

But putting the contract aside, just thinking about how this suddenly makes the offense so much more dynamic is what really excites me.
Same here but what I'm really enjoying is how Poles is getting this rep for doing the totally unexpected. Your comment about not having any idea this could get done is what I mean and we're long time Bears fans. Imagine how much more difficult Poles is to figure out to the media who want us to believe they have the inside track on every team in the NFL. It must frustrate them or maybe not.

Ideally Poles can take say $12 mil or so of his salary and put it into a signing bonus for a 2 year extension. That would reduce his 2024 cap to a $6 mil salary, $5 mil roster bonus and $4 mil for his signing bonus. If we can get two productive years from him and out after year two if his production declines we're good and since D J's cap declined by $4 mil this year and next Allen is more affordable.

Poles still needs to draft a WR but now he has better options for where to do it. My guess is he would target a guy to replace Allen.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Sweat was worth more than a 2nd. Allen is worth more than a 4th. It happens when a contract term is looming, teams aren’t gonna pay much for 1 year then a big contract. We are seeing this play out with Fields right now. The more I think about it, I’m ok with this even if we don’t extend him. I hope we do extend him but a 4th for that guy just isn’t a lot even if just for a year. He will help whoever our QB is greatly.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m just putting it out there -Velus Jones Jr was a R3 pick
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:35 am

Sweat was worth more than a 2nd. Allen is worth more than a 4th. It happens when a contract term is looming, teams aren’t gonna pay much for 1 year then a big contract. We are seeing this play out with Fields right now. The more I think about it, I’m ok with this even if we don’t extend him. I hope we do extend him but a 4th for that guy just isn’t a lot even if just for a year. He will help whoever our QB is greatly.

If Poles decides to keep JF and trade the pick I would hope he would offer him a one year extension in lieu of picking up his 5th year option. It's not gonna help all that much if he trades him unless the trade partner wants it to happen. His cash rec'd for 2024 is $4.7 mil. If Poles put some bonus money on top of that and a 2025 salary somewhere around what GB gave Love he's under contract for 2 years without the 5th year option, JF gets more $$$ in 2024, and it's a better cap deal overall for anyone.

But nothing will ever work to JF's benefit unless he keeps ascending.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:33 am

did you ask your grandson to show you how to ignore people on this forum?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:21 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:33 am

did you ask your grandson to show you how to ignore people on this forum?
Yes, I traveled into the future by 25 years and talked to him. You would not believe what football is like in 2049.

UOK
Site Admin

malagabears
Journeyman

Here's the whole presser. Seems really down to Earth.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:04 am I’m just putting it out there -Velus Jones Jr was a R3 pick
Do you think people in Velus's home throw him stuff when he asks them to or do they just say no and walk it over?

HEY HONEY! TOSS ME A SODA!

OH NO I'M NOT DOING THAT! THE LAST TIME THAT HAPPENED IT EXPLODED ALL OVER THE FLOOR!

RichH55
Hall of Famer

And the thing on the Cap - we are going to have a Rookie QB contract for the next 4-5 years (again thr 5th year isn't as expensive as Full Freight - but its not the full on bargain that the 1st 4 years are)

And we haven't even started to really play Cap games yet
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

While past results are not a predictor of future success, these are the ages other great route-runners had their final 1000 yard season:

Jerry Rice - 40
Larry Fitzgerald - 34
Terrell Owens - 35
Marvin Harrison - 34
Steve Smith - 35
Isaac Bruce - 34
Reggie Wayne - 34
Chris Carter - 35
Charlie Joiner - 34
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

SIAP -