New Bears numbers, so far

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:40 pm
wulfy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:23 am Johnny Knox wore 13 and he was a good player until that horrible injury.
Even more reason NOT to let Allen have it. Talk about jinx. :frustrated: Loved Johnny Knox though.

Other Bear receivers to wear #13: Scott for one year, Pringle for one year, Rodney Adams for one year, Wright for one year, and Rashad Ross for one year....

Yeah, let's retire the number in infamy and not let Allen anywhere near it.
If it has a serious hex on it don't let CW anywhere near it or we'll be 0-3 on recently drafted QBs.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:43 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:04 am Given that they haven't given 13 to Allen yet, I think they will be holding it for CW.

Plus the more I think about it, I think the plan is to let Allen walk at year's end. They traded a 4th round pick for him to give CW a stud duo at WR to help him get ready for the NFL. He's far more valuable to CW's development than what you would assume you'd get from a 4th round player.

They make the trade to give CW the best chance for success.

Allen it appears is wanting to GET PAID. They will need to pay DJ in the near future and he is younger so that money will be earmarked for him. They can let Allen walk and have realistic expectations that the contract he signs will be LARGE. Large enough that they can bank on it being a 2nd or 3rd round comp pick. Poles has done a very good job on the roster, so he should be able to be selective in FA so they don't waste that.

They could turn an early 2024 4th round pick into a late 2026 2nd round pick and help CW out a ton his first year. Great return on investment.
Moore's current contract runs through 2025. If they plan to extend him which is almost certain they'll do it in 2025 which could lower his cap hit then but if not he's still on the books for just $16.05 mil. So Poles could conceivable extend Allen at least through 2025 if they can come to an agreement on an amount. Poles may offer 3 years out after two just to spread the signing bonus out longer.

What Poles does with that #9 pick may have a lot to do with his plans for Allen.
Poles They could. I just think Allen knows this is his last shot at a big payday and is going to want more money and years than will give.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:18 am I believe that the highest comp pick you can get is third round. But point taken.
You’re right I was thinking it was the second round but third is the highest.
Bearfacts
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:33 am
Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:43 am

Moore's current contract runs through 2025. If they plan to extend him which is almost certain they'll do it in 2025 which could lower his cap hit then but if not he's still on the books for just $16.05 mil. So Poles could conceivable extend Allen at least through 2025 if they can come to an agreement on an amount. Poles may offer 3 years out after two just to spread the signing bonus out longer.

What Poles does with that #9 pick may have a lot to do with his plans for Allen.
Poles They could. I just think Allen knows this is his last shot at a big payday and is going to want more money and years than will give.
If the rumor Biggsy spread is fact you're spot on. He wrote that Poles had already offered an extension which Allen turned down preferring to try FA for one last deal. Looking at the draft with that knowledge in hand drafting one of the top WR at #9 isn't as premature as some feel it is if Allen is one and done here.
wab
Mod

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:04 am Given that they haven't given 13 to Allen yet, I think they will be holding it for CW.

Plus the more I think about it, I think the plan is to let Allen walk at year's end. They traded a 4th round pick for him to give CW a stud duo at WR to help him get ready for the NFL. He's far more valuable to CW's development than what you would assume you'd get from a 4th round player.

They make the trade to give CW the best chance for success.

Allen it appears is wanting to GET PAID. They will need to pay DJ in the near future and he is younger so that money will be earmarked for him. They can let Allen walk and have realistic expectations that the contract he signs will be LARGE. Large enough that they can bank on it being a 2nd or 3rd round comp pick. Poles has done a very good job on the roster, so he should be able to be selective in FA so they don't waste that.

They could turn an early 2024 4th round pick into a late 2026 2nd round pick and help CW out a ton his first year. Great return on investment.
Yeah, I think Allen is a one-year rental. Trade a 4th, get a solid year out of him and let him walk for a higher comp pick.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Next year I think we will actually be in line for comp picks, so this may work
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:37 am Yeah, I think Allen is a one-year rental. Trade a 4th, get a solid year out of him and let him walk for a higher comp pick.
I concur that Allen is a one-off.

He won't be worth more than a 5th round comp pick, though, because he's a ten-year veteran and that's where those max out. Players who have ten or more accrued seasons may only yield a maximum of a 5th round compensatory pick, even if their actual value would otherwise be assigned higher.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
LacertineForest
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:17 am
wab wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:37 am Yeah, I think Allen is a one-year rental. Trade a 4th, get a solid year out of him and let him walk for a higher comp pick.

He won't be worth more than a 5th round comp pick, though, because he's a ten-year veteran and that's where those max out. Players who have ten or more accrued seasons may only yield a maximum of a 5th round compensatory pick, even if their actual value would otherwise be assigned higher.
Damn, that's kind of annoying.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

:o

All this time, I've never, ever heard that come up before.

I understand what they're getting at - losing an old veteran probably isn't such a big loss.
Although, if someone is willing to give them such a huge contract that they qualify for a R3 or 4, it would seem that they're an exception.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wulfy
MVP

Well, off-season program starts today ... so unless Keenan is wearing a blank jersey, we'll have our answer very soon.
wab
Mod

Interesting...that's something I'd never heard of. Still, you get something back for your rental.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:54 pm Well, off-season program starts today ... so unless Keenan is wearing a blank jersey, we'll have our answer very soon.
I dont think he will be in a jersey til after the draft. HRS's post in the other thread says the first phase is meetings and strength and conditioning/rehab for 2 weeks. I dont think theyd do those in a jersey but I could be wrong?

They aren't going to spoil the draft by having Allen show off his new number before it :D
wulfy
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 pm
wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:54 pm Well, off-season program starts today ... so unless Keenan is wearing a blank jersey, we'll have our answer very soon.
I dont think he will be in a jersey til after the draft. HRS's post in the other thread says the first phase is meetings and strength and conditioning/rehab for 2 weeks. I dont think theyd do those in a jersey but I could be wrong?

They aren't going to spoil the draft by having Allen show off his new number before it :D
That makes sense then ..... you'd think they'd want to sell some jerseys however.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Damn fine print!!!!!!!!

But how did Rivers get the Charges a 3rd round pick?

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... nfl-draft/
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 pm

Damn fine print!!!!!!!!

More fine print...
However, App. V, §4 revealed that this rule does not apply to quarterbacks.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 pm

Damn fine print!!!!!!!!

More fine print...
However, App. V, §4 revealed that this rule does not apply to quarterbacks.
That's all seems odd.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

So the solution is to make Allen a WR/Backup QB. lol
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 pm So the solution is to make Allen a WR/Backup QB. lol
Always good to think outside the box