What value would Braxton Jones have?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

There has been a little bit of talk about taking Alt at #9 if he is there.

I think it's a possible move if they think Jones is getting close to is ceiling. If they do that what's the best course of action for the team?

We could keep Jones and have him be a very high level swing tackle. That's a very valuable commodity on the OL as teams almost always have OL guys miss games.

When the decision was made to move on Fields we had a short debate about keeping him. The team decided a conditional 6th round pick was of more value to the team than keeping Fields. (not trying to revisit that debate). So that has me thinking - if we draft Alt at #9 what helps the team more - keep Jones as a swing tackle or trade him and get a ????? round pick.

He's got two years left on his rookie deal and IMO has played at an above average level. What does that net the team in a trade? Surely it has to be more than the 5th round pick we spent. If a third a crazy ask?? If we drafted Alt, I think the team should consider that if its' on the table.
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:00 pm There has been a little bit of talk about taking Alt at #9 if he is there.

I think it's a possible move if they think Jones is getting close to is ceiling. If they do that what's the best course of action for the team?

We could keep Jones and have him be a very high level swing tackle. That's a very valuable commodity on the OL as teams almost always have OL guys miss games.

When the decision was made to move on Fields we had a short debate about keeping him. The team decided a conditional 6th round pick was of more value to the team than keeping Fields. (not trying to revisit that debate). So that has me thinking - if we draft Alt at #9 what helps the team more - keep Jones as a swing tackle or trade him and get a ????? round pick.

He's got two years left on his rookie deal and IMO has played at an above average level. What does that net the team in a trade? Surely it has to be more than the 5th round pick we spent. If a third a crazy ask?? If we drafted Alt, I think the team should consider that if its' on the table.
You keep Jones as a very inexpensive swing tackle and then possibly as a comp pick when you let him walk in Free Agency.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

If we took a tackle, we’d have to keep Brax into the season when a team might need him. It’s like Justin. He can play, so his VALUE is high, but once he’s replaced, his MARKET will plummet.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

A trade would surprise me on Braxton
dave99
Assistant Coach

First off, Alt may be the best LT in this class but he may not be the plug and play pro everyone is counting on. And if he is he probably wouldn't be much of an immediate improvement over Jones who had a respectable if not spectacular year. The NFL draft comp is Mike McGlinchey, which is good but not exactly Joe Thomas territory.

If he doesn't beat out Jones, your #9 pick is sitting on the bench not catching footballs or sacking QB's.
If he does you have a rookie LT protecting the blind side of your prize QB in a division that .

I don't see them going OL at 9 but if they do, they absolutely have to keep Jones as insurance and backup.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The best LT in the draft probably can’t beat Braxton out to start right away.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Here’s more proof others come here for ideas to write about

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... or-9-pick/ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:23 am Here’s more proof others come here for ideas to write about

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... or-9-pick/ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"My sources within the organization (Arkansasbear) are telling me ..."
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I swear to God if sportsmockery writes an article positing that the bears are considering Matt Dzierski #1 overall I'm gonna sue.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:47 am I swear to God if sportsmockery writes an article positing that the bears are considering Matt Dzierski #1 overall I'm gonna sue.
:rofl:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:23 am Here’s more proof others come here for ideas to write about

Trying to remember another situation in which a starting LT was replaced by a draft pick. Would it be worth it to move Braxton for another 3rd? Would be tempting.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
WagonForce
MVP

I don't have any idea on Braxton's value if he were traded. I believe there would be real interest, given his cheap cost and two years of control left, on top of his two years of performance to date.

If the Bears do go with an LT prospect at #9, I would like to see the team proceed with an honest competition going into camp for the starting role. If the rookie beats out Jones, great. If Jones wins the starting job, that's fine by me too. I actually think it's healthier for the team culture to expect (nearly) any new addition to have to win their job. I also would want the Bears to keep Jones for this season, at minimum, in this scenario.

I think the Bears should look to build a top line to protect their future rookie QB. That means talent at all positions with actual depth behind them. Put the best 5 guys on the field and don't be crossing your fingers that no one gets nicked up while your young QB is learning the NFL game. There's risk in over-investing, you might end up with draft capital or FA dollars that aren't getting as many snaps. There's also risk in trying to field a decent unit by the skin of your teeth. I think we've all seen first hand how the latter approach can go.
Bearfacts
MVP

dave99 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:22 pm First off, Alt may be the best LT in this class but he may not be the plug and play pro everyone is counting on. And if he is he probably wouldn't be much of an immediate improvement over Jones who had a respectable if not spectacular year. The NFL draft comp is Mike McGlinchey, which is good but not exactly Joe Thomas territory.

If he doesn't beat out Jones, your #9 pick is sitting on the bench not catching footballs or sacking QB's.
If he does you have a rookie LT protecting the blind side of your prize QB in a division that .

I don't see them going OL at 9 but if they do, they absolutely have to keep Jones as insurance and backup.
I don't either. Although I wouldn't rule it out if Poles trades down. Poles has also expressed his satisfaction with Jones development from a 5th round pick to a rookie starter at LT and in his improvement in year two. If I had to project an OL in round one is would be one of those more like Darnell Wright who may be a better OG in the NFL. He has a decision to make this year on Jenkins and another on Davis. If he plans to draft CW he's mobile enough for the two OTs we have. That would be my take on it.

If we use a process of elimination to predict what he might rank as his priority at #9 I'd say a DE/Edge Rusher. He's bolstered WR in the last two years. He fixed the LB positions last year. He bolstered TE by signing Everett even after extending Kmet. The secondary is sound and he's added four vet OL in FA for depth. So what are his two biggest holes right now? A starting QB and a DE to pair with Sweat. I think if there's an edge guy on the board at #9 he really likes he'll take him.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:36 pm
dave99 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:22 pm First off, Alt may be the best LT in this class but he may not be the plug and play pro everyone is counting on. And if he is he probably wouldn't be much of an immediate improvement over Jones who had a respectable if not spectacular year. The NFL draft comp is Mike McGlinchey, which is good but not exactly Joe Thomas territory.

I don't either. Although I wouldn't rule it out if Poles trades down. Poles has also expressed his satisfaction with Jones development from a 5th round pick to a rookie starter at LT and in his improvement in year two. If I had to project an OL in round one is would be one of those more like Darnell Wright who may be a better OG in the NFL. He has a decision to make this year on Jenkins and another on Davis. If he plans to draft CW he's mobile enough for the two OTs we have. That would be my take on it.

If we use a process of elimination to predict what he might rank as his priority at #9 I'd say a DE/Edge Rusher. He's bolstered WR in the last two years. He fixed the LB positions last year. He bolstered TE by signing Everett even after extending Kmet. The secondary is sound and he's added four vet OL in FA for depth. So what are his two biggest holes right now? A starting QB and a DE to pair with Sweat. I think if there's an edge guy on the board at #9 he really likes he'll take him.
Absolutely agree, I think Verse is a great fit and you might even get a bit more draft capital trading down a spot or two.
You can still add talent in the 3rd with a WR that maybe needs some polish but they can afford that luxury with the talent already on board.
A developmental OL or two in the fourth and you are good to go.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:46 pm

Absolutely agree, I think Verse is a great fit and you might even get a bit more draft capital trading down a spot or two.
You can still add talent in the 3rd with a WR that maybe needs some polish but they can afford that luxury with the talent already on board.
This works for me
thefish7
Journeyman

I don't like the OT pick there, since it doesn't seem like even Alt would be a lock to start in front of Jones. Getting a 4th rounder for Jones seems like a destruction of value.

I like the WR or TE, edge, or trade down options better than a Jones trade and a tackle draft.
Bearfacts
MVP

dave99 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:46 pm

But is it Verse or Turner who trips their trigger. Both similarly ranked but slight different builds and styles of play.

Verse reminds me somewhat of Khalil Mack with his pass rush and also looks like he could add more weight to his frame. Turner is the more athletic and somewhat of a contrast to a guy like Verse or Montez Sweat which is what they've said they may be looking for. Turner also doesn't appear to be able to add a whole more weight. He looks like a guy who'll play around 250lbs whereas Verse might play 10-12lbs more than that. If that's the route they take looks like both may be on the board at #9.
wab
Mod

I'll never understand the rush to replace Braxton. If he was picked at like #20 everyone would be talking about how the Bears stole him. He's arguably the 2nd or 3rd best OT to come out of that draft.

I get that the probability of the best value for pick #9 is likely a tackle, but that just means a trade down is ideal.
LacertineForest
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 am I'll never understand the rush to replace Braxton. If he was picked at like #20 everyone would be talking about how the Bears stole him. He's arguably the 2nd or 3rd best OT to come out of that draft.

I get that the probability of the best value for pick #9 is likely a tackle, but that just means a trade down is ideal.
I agree, and given that Poles made the pick, it's one of the feathers in his cap. I don't think he'd be excited to move on from that quickly. The only thing that I think complicates things is that he's got this year and next before he's going to get paid. If Alt is available at #9 and they see him as a perennial All-Pro, they can get him on a rookie deal for 4 years and the 5th year option, along with CW. I still think a trade down is the most likely scenario.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 am I'll never understand the rush to replace Braxton. If he was picked at like #20 everyone would be talking about how the Bears stole him. He's arguably the 2nd or 3rd best OT to come out of that draft.

Yup, considering all of the failed LT we've had to have found this kid on the 5th round was a huge coup on the part of Poles and Cunnigham and the scouts. He improved his anchor last season and should grow a bit more this season as well. As long as we have a mobile QB I believe we're good at OT as far as the starters go. My only question is about depth at LT if Jones is hurt.

If there's a prize OT on the board at #9 some team will pay a premium in 2024 picks to trade up for and Poles can still get a DE he likes I think he has to look seriously at doing it. But with as many OTs ranked as 1st round picks as this draft has that may not be how it goes down. This is one of those times when Poles may skip the overall BPA for the need BPA which is likely to be a DE.

The trouble with predictions though is Poles is often working on multiple levels at once which makes him hard to predict.
malk
Head Coach

I'd add that good not great is potentially the sweet spot for some positions. If you've got a really solid starter but one that everyone knows isn't a world beater, you can keep them around without having to make massive cap compromises. If Laremy Tunsil is $25m per year and I can get 90% of the play for ~60% of the cost (I'm guessing obvs) then that's a compromise I'm very happy to make.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bearfacts
MVP

Lemme also add that no one should trade a 25 year old with two years starting experience with two years left on his rookie contract for a 4th round pick without losing his job. You wouldn't make that trade 'til after you'd drafted his replacement anyway so any picks you'd get for him would be in 2025. This is another reason I don't feel Poles will draft and OL in round one.