Bears Big Board at current slots

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Z Bear
MVP

So the Jahns and Fishbain exercise in the #9 pick thread gave me a good idea to kill some time with some talk other than CW13. Based off Poles' comments yesterday it seems the team is targeting OL, DL, and WR in addition to QB. Assuming the Bears do not trade I am going to list the top 2 guys available at each of those positions at each of our picks from Pro Football Network, then NFL Mockdraft Database, and then Fanspeak using Draftteks Big Board to see what players the team could be targeting and which position might be best for each pick. Anyways, which group are you picking for each round to target?

DE #9
Dallas Turner (PFN #10, DT #13)
Jared Verse (NMD #13, DT #16)
Laiatu Latu (PFN #13, NMD #17)
OL #9
Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT (NMD #14, DT #6)
Taliese Fuaga, OT (PFN #14, NMD, #15, DT #12)
Troy Fautanu, OT (PFN #17)
WR #9
Rome Odunze (NMD #6)
Brian Thomas, Jr. (PFN #20, NMD #18, DT #25)
Keon Coleman (PFN #29, DT #24)

DE #75
Marshawn Kneeland (PFN #76, DT #101)
Adisa Isaac (NMD #77)
Brandon Dorlus (NMD #82)
Austin Booker (PFN #97)
Gabriel Murphy (DT # 101)
OL #75
Cooper Beebe, OG (DT #76)
Christian Mahogany, OG (PFN #78, NMD #98)
Zach Frazier, OC (DT #82)
Sedrick Van Pran, OC (NMD #79)
Kiran Amegadjie, OT (PFN #93)
WR #75
Malachi Corley (NMD #64)
Devontez Walker (NMD #71)
Xavier Legette (DT # 73)
Ricky Pearsall (PFN #75
Jalen McMillan (PFN #79)
Jermaine Burton (DT #81)

DE #122
Austin Booker (PFN #97)
Gabriel Murphy (NMD #123)
Javon Solomon (PFN #136)
Mohamed Kamara (NMD #129, DT #144)
Curtis Jacobs (DT #140)
OL #122
Christian Mahogany, OG (NMD #98)
Brandon Coleman, OG (PFN #119)
Javon Foster, OT (DT #122)
Beaux Limmer, OG (NMD #128)
Layden Robinson, OG (PFN #135)
Javion Cohen, OT (DT #136)
WR # 122
Brenden Rice (PFN #131, NMD #99)
Ainias Smith (DT #118)
Malik Washington (NMD #122)
Jacob Cowing (PFN #142, DT #141)
Z Bear
MVP

While going through the exercise I also selected the the highest rated from one of those slots that was available on all three sites. This should be considered a worse case scenario for the draft.

1) Caleb Williams, QB | USC, A+
9) Jared Verse, EDGE | Florida State, A
75) Jalen McMillan, WR | Washington, A
122) Brandon Coleman, IOL | TCU, C+
Bearfacts
MVP

Seems to me that somewhere along the line Poles needs to find another DT capable of competing for a roster spot.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:24 pm Seems to me that somewhere along the line Poles needs to find another DT capable of competing for a roster spot.
Depending on how far he wants to trade back from #9, I could see him targeting Murphy from Texas.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:24 pm Seems to me that somewhere along the line Poles needs to find another DT capable of competing for a roster spot.
Yes, but nearly impossible to predict, though.
It could be anywhere from a R1 to a R7, or a postdraft stopgap.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Assuming he doesn't turn 4 picks into 11 picks like he did his first year, I could see him looking for a NT type after the draft.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm
Assuming he doesn't turn 4 picks into 11 picks like he did his first year, I could see him looking for a NT type after the draft.
Who? Any prospects come to mind?
Bearfacts
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:00 pm
Depending on how far he wants to trade back from #9, I could see him targeting Murphy from Texas.
Possible but he drafted two DT last year and both he and Flue have hopes Dexter will become the Bears Chris Jones. Plus that would still leave us short one DE/Edge Rusher he seems to have prioritized this year. The other point I might make is that staying at #9 or very close to it assures him of one of two top DE in this draft, Turner or Verse. I think most teams know where they'll go within a pick or two. It seems less certain where Murphy might go so how does he assure he gets him or isn't jumped for him?

I know how tempting a trade back may be for a guy who loves to have multiple day one and day two picks but when I look at the roster and the spots he's filled and depth he's already added the one position that sticks out to me above others is DE and at #9 there's a pretty good chance both may still be on the board. Can he live with either or do he an Flus have a definite preference? If so and given all of the key upgrades already done I have to think he'll want to get his guy and not risk losing him.

The secondary has been rebuilt and with the extension to JJ and bringing in Byard secured for now. The LB core is as good as we had since the days of Urlacher, Briggs, and Hillenmeyer. What's our remaining defensive weak spot? The pass rush correct? Just spitballin' but I believe a couple of double digit sack DE who can also create pressure will have more immediate impact than a somewhat undersized 3 tech DT when we're trying to make a mammoth 6'6"/312lb monster that guy.

I hear ya, and earlier I thought about Murphy as well but that was before the JF trade and the acquisition of Keenan Allen all of which virtually locks in CW as the top pick rather than a trade down from one. I've never believed trading down from #9 made as much sense as trading #1. If I'm Poles at #9 why do I want to give up a shot at one of two highest ranked defensive players in the draft both of whom play a position that's a priority for me to trade into the second tier of top ranked picks?

OT aside which are positions he has filled Turner and Verse are arguably both BPA picks at or very near #9 and both play the spot I need to fill most in this draft after QB. Not saying I may not be wrong but I'm trying to think like he might. To me it's one of those Occam's Razor decisions where it shouldn't be over complicated much if at all. But I do like what he's said about having separate groups each make their pitch for a WR, an OT, and a DE with that pick. That's smart business for such a young GM.

As always.....JMHO.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:48 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:00 pm

Possible but he drafted two DT last year and both he and Flue have hopes Dexter will become the Bears Chris Jones. Plus that would still leave us short one DE/Edge Rusher he seems to have prioritized this year. The other point I might make is that staying at #9 or very close to it assures him of one of two top DE in this draft, Turner or Verse. I think most teams know where they'll go within a pick or two. It seems less certain where Murphy might go so how does he assure he gets him or isn't jumped for him?

I know how tempting a trade back may be for a guy who loves to have multiple day one and day two picks but when I look at the roster and the spots he's filled and depth he's already added the one position that sticks out to me above others is DE and at #9 there's a pretty good chance both may still be on the board. Can he live with either or do he an Flus have a definite preference? If so and given all of the key upgrades already done I have to think he'll want to get his guy and not risk losing him.

The secondary has been rebuilt and with the extension to JJ and bringing in Byard secured for now. The LB core is as good as we had since the days of Urlacher, Briggs, and Hillenmeyer. What's our remaining defensive weak spot? The pass rush correct? Just spitballin' but I believe a couple of double digit sack DE who can also create pressure will have more immediate impact than a somewhat undersized 3 tech DT when we're trying to make a mammoth 6'6"/312lb monster that guy.

I hear ya, and earlier I thought about Murphy as well but that was before the JF trade and the acquisition of Keenan Allen all of which virtually locks in CW as the top pick rather than a trade down from one. I've never believed trading down from #9 made as much sense as trading #1. If I'm Poles at #9 why do I want to give up a shot at one of two highest ranked defensive players in the draft both of whom play a position that's a priority for me to trade into the second tier of top ranked picks?

OT aside which are positions he has filled Turner and Verse are arguably both BPA picks at or very near #9 and both play the spot I need to fill most in this draft after QB. Not saying I may not be wrong but I'm trying to think like he might. To me it's one of those Occam's Razor decisions where it shouldn't be over complicated much if at all. But I do like what he's said about having separate groups each make their pitch for a WR, an OT, and a DE with that pick. That's smart business for such a young GM.

As always.....JMHO.
Someone posted a clip of Poles at the combine watching a player and saying something to the effect that "if he's there, we take him." People went back and watched film and determined that what he was wearing in the clip is what he wore the day the DEs were on the field and it is believed the guy was Turner. So if Turner is there at #9 it may be a done deal.

They need another player who can get pressure be as a DE or DT. I get what you are saying about Dexter, but they could view Murphy as much better. They also rotate the DTs a lot, so if they landed Murphy, it doesn't have the same "replacement effect" compared to drafting someone like Alt who then, in theory, should send a guy who has played well to the bench.

That's why if MHJ or Turner are both gone, I think they would prefer to trade down a bit. That would still give them a shot at Verse, Latu or Murphy to be the second guy they can rely on for pressure.

But hell, it's Poles. The man is a freaking genius it appears at this and all the CW stuff could be a smoke screen and come draft day he trades down to #2 and takes a different QB. I'd be surprised, but not floored.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

With Poles, follow the RAS. He likes highly athletic guys. It has been previously said he doesn't value WR as a position but Flus indicated in an interview Monday that the Bears will look at guys at #9 who will help a rookie QB (OT, WR, possibly Bowers) or affect the other team's QB. The Bears won't be drafting LB or secondary at 9 so DE or DT.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:59 am So the Jahns and Fishbain exercise in the #9 pick thread gave me a good idea to kill some time with some talk other than CW13. Based off Poles' comments yesterday it seems the team is targeting OL, DL, and WR in addition to QB. Assuming the Bears do not trade I am going to list the top 2 guys available at each of those positions at each of our picks from Pro Football Network, then NFL Mockdraft Database, and then Fanspeak using Draftteks Big Board to see what players the team could be targeting and which position might be best for each pick. Anyways, which group are you picking for each round to target?

DE #9
OL #9
WR #9
Rome Odunze (NMD #6)

DE #75
Adisa Isaac (NMD #77)
Brandon Dorlus (NMD #82)
Austin Booker (PFN #97)
OL #75
WR #75
Malachi Corley (NMD #64)
Xavier Legette (DT # 73)
Ricky Pearsall (PFN #75
Jalen McMillan (PFN #79)
Jermaine Burton (DT #81)

DE #122
Austin Booker (PFN #97)
Javon Solomon (PFN #136)
Curtis Jacobs (DT #140)
OL #122
WR # 122
Ainias Smith (DT #118)
Chop Robinson doesn't meet Poles' usual standards for size in a DE but his RAS is insane (9.53). In a 2nd or 3rd round, Chris Braswell from Alabama. Like Robinson, he's a buzz saw trying to get to the QB.
Heinz D.
MVP

Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:01 pm While going through the exercise I also selected the the highest rated from one of those slots that was available on all three sites. This should be considered a worse case scenario for the draft.

1) Caleb Williams, QB | USC, A+
9) Jared Verse, EDGE | Florida State, A
75) Jalen McMillan, WR | Washington, A
122) Brandon Coleman, IOL | TCU, C+
And isn't that beyond awesome? :)
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Bearfacts
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:33 am
Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:59 am So the Jahns and Fishbain exercise in the #9 pick thread gave me a good idea to kill some time with some talk other than CW13. Based off Poles' comments yesterday it seems the team is targeting OL, DL, and WR in addition to QB. Assuming the Bears do not trade I am going to list the top 2 guys available at each of those positions at each of our picks from Pro Football Network, then NFL Mockdraft Database, and then Fanspeak using Draftteks Big Board to see what players the team could be targeting and which position might be best for each pick. Anyways, which group are you picking for each round to target?

DE #9
OL #9
WR #9
Rome Odunze (NMD #6)

DE #75
Adisa Isaac (NMD #77)
Brandon Dorlus (NMD #82)
Austin Booker (PFN #97)
OL #75
WR #75
Malachi Corley (NMD #64)
Xavier Legette (DT # 73)
Ricky Pearsall (PFN #75
Jalen McMillan (PFN #79)
Jermaine Burton (DT #81)

DE #122
Austin Booker (PFN #97)
Javon Solomon (PFN #136)
Curtis Jacobs (DT #140)
OL #122
WR # 122
Ainias Smith (DT #118)
Chop Robinson doesn't meet Poles' usual standards for size in a DE but his RAS is insane (9.53). In a 2nd or 3rd round, Chris Braswell from Alabama. Like Robinson, he's a buzz saw trying to get to the QB.
His teammate Adisa Isaac is also a kid who may fit as DE in a rotation. The guy I would love to see the Bears draft though is Mo Kamara. He doesn't fit what Flus wants as far as his physical stature goes but the kid is a flat out mean ass "baller" who produces. I doubt Poles will draft him but watch a team like Pitt take him and turn him into a very productive 3-4 OLB.
wab
Mod

Bearfacts wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:24 pm
wab wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm

Who? Any prospects come to mind?
Here are some 5th to 7th round/UDFA types that I like:
Khristian Boyd - Northern Iowa
Jordan Jefferson - LSU
Myles Murphy - North Carolina
Jack Daly - FIU
Casey Rogers - Oregon
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 am
Grizzled wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:33 am

His teammate Adisa Isaac is also a kid who may fit as DE in a rotation. The guy I would love to see the Bears draft though is Mo Kamara. He doesn't fit what Flus wants as far as his physical stature goes but the kid is a flat out mean ass "baller" who produces. I doubt Poles will draft him but watch a team like Pitt take him and turn him into a very productive 3-4 OLB.
Isaac is a bit closer physically to the preferred Poles size. He had more sacks this year than Robinson. Could be on the radar.
Bearfacts
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:01 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 am

Isaac is a bit closer physically to the preferred Poles size. He had more sacks this year than Robinson. Could be on the radar.
One reason I bring him up has more to do with pick #9 and a video that's on Swifty's Sports Network regarding that pick. He did a nice review of those first tier players who may be targets at #9 and then another group of second tier targets after a trade down. My feeling all along is that Poles should not trade away from any first tier player who fits a need immediate or near future. He's done an incredible job in FA adding both starters and depth so I would prefer he use both 1sts on top tier 2024 difference makers.

After eliminating a couple of those who are unlikely to still be on the board at #9 it boiled down to five names; WR-Odunze and Naber, DE-Turner and Verse, OL-Fuaga. Of those five two may not survive 'til #9. Turner and either Odunze or Nabers but he's still have Verse, one of the WR, and Fuaga. I would not trade down with any of those remaining players still on the board. They're all 2024 starting caliber guys. Even if for example Fuaga didn't start immediately we never get 17 games out of the starting five so he will.

I still believe that Turner is Poles/Flus guy if he's there but some mocks have ATL taking him. If so then what if Nabers is the WR left at #9? We don't absolutely need another WR but the kid is so fast and has incredible potential as a playmaker Waldron would make certain to get the ball in his hands. He's another weapon for CW and an offense capable of scoring 30 points and more per game. We'd leave a hole at DE/Edge which is why I brought Issac up who seems to be a fit who may be around at pick #75.

Or does Poles stick with a needs priority over a BPA player like Nabers and default to Verse either at #9 or possibly a few picks later with a trade down for a another 4th round pick. Verse is more of a power rusher but he was damn good at it in college. Then there's Fuaga who seems to be this years Darnell Wright who could also play any OT or OG position and has risen as high as a pick in the 8-12 range much like Wright in 2023. OL isn't a higher need than DE/Edge but as a BPA is he a better pick than Verse?

So this is no more than a mental exercise I like to do trying more to think like Poles might while at the same unavoidably using some of my own leanings. While I still believe DE/Edge is Poles preference if a higher ranked player on his board whose an offensive playmaker is there would he pass on the better player because there's no question in my mind it's the offense he's targeted to make far better this year and add scoring power to help his defense that way. We could easily have a top ten defense anyway as is.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think we can all agree Caleb Williams is going #1 overall to us.

#9 I'm just not sure what I want to happen vs. what I think will happen.

4 QBs (Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy)
2 WRs go (Nabers, Harrison Jr.)
1 OT goes (Alt)
----------------------------------------------------------------

That's 7 off the board, which leaves:

WR: Odunze, Mitchell, Thomas Jr.
DE: Turner, Verse, Latu
OT: Fautanu, Fuaga, Fashanu
DT: Newton, Murphy,

I dunno... a trade down could be in the cards if we don't have Odunze, Turner or Verse in a tier above the rest.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
dplank
Hall of Famer

If you trade down, it’s likely there’s a run on those DEs and you don’t get any of them. I get that we want perfection here, and a trade down while still “getting our guy”, but I don’t think I’d dick around with it. Take the one you like best and call it a win.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am If you trade down, it’s likely there’s a run on those DEs and you don’t get any of them. I get that we want perfection here, and a trade down while still “getting our guy”, but I don’t think I’d dick around with it. Take the one you like best and call it a win.
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am If you trade down, it’s likely there’s a run on those DEs and you don’t get any of them. I get that we want perfection here, and a trade down while still “getting our guy”, but I don’t think I’d dick around with it. Take the one you like best and call it a win.
Yup, that what Poles has to balance. Philly gave up a 4th round pick worth the 50 differential between #9 and #10 only to 100% certain the Bears wouldn't take Carter. #10/NYJ, #11/Minny or AZ post trade, and #12/Denver are each worth another 50 points so you can look at the Draft Value Chart to see what we'd gain and that's only if one of those teams would even trade up.

I'm of the belief that Minny with trade up with either AZ or NYG and that MHJr and either Nabers or Odunze go #4 and #5 to AZ and SD. Tenn takes Alt at #7 and ATL will take Turner. If Nabers is the guy still there at #9 I'd probably grab him but I believe it's more likely to be Odunze. If Verse is your next DE pick or even your top one I think you take him there or lose him period.

I have no idea what Poles will do if those are his choices along with an OL like Fuaga or Fashanu but I have to think he has both Odunze and Verse higher on his board. Tough choice because Poles can't get the kind of Day One caliber potential later on in round one of day two. Odunze has to be the BPA guy and Verse the BPA at a position of highest need. JMHO
dplank
Hall of Famer

In one of those Poles interviews he talks about only having 4 picks and why he thinks it’s fine given how many they’ve had recently, and the current state of the team. Next year we have an extra 2nd and 6th (maybe 4th).

We have a need for a high caliber player on our DL, I’m very comfortable if we just take one at 9 as we should get a damn good player. Maybe WR in the 3rd, and an IOL with our last pick. I’d be happy with that.
wab
Mod

A week ago I was convinced that Poles would trade down from 9. Now I'm pretty sure he's going to keep the pick.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:50 am A week ago I was convinced that Poles would trade down from 9. Now I'm pretty sure he's going to keep the pick.
Same

He's very transparent - too much so, when it comes to personnel moves.
If he's talking "few picks", he's almost definitely going few picks.

Don't like it, though.

wab
Mod

I think the team is in a good spot roster wise. The average age of the core of the team (guys that should be around for 2-5 years) is like 23 years old. That's not counting incoming draft picks.

Sprinkle in a vet like Allen, some vets at safety and center...and the Bears don't necessarily need a ton of draft picks this year. Especially if they can come away with a QB/DL/WR/OL with those picks.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea my draft right now is: CW, Dallas Turner, Ricky Pearsall, then the biggest, nastiest IOL available (raw is fine, I want size/power and a guy to develop).
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm Poles interviews he talks about only having 4 picks and why he thinks it’s fine given how many they’ve had recently
I firmly disagree with that argument.

It's technically true the Bears have had a lot of picks over the last 2-3 drafts - but a huge proportion of them were 6th and 7th round picks, which really don't matter. By that point in the draft, you're on lottery tickets. And what the Bears netted with all those late picks (not much) is very much in line with them being low value.

If you count R1-5, they've had 16 picks in the last 3 years (yes, 3 yrs ago wasn't a Poles draft, but it still affects what you have or don't have on your squad regardless), where 15 is the average.
They haven't had "a lot" of meaningful picks lately at all.

And that's with a starting point of a roster burned to the ground and 0 FAs of lasting consequence added in 2022.

This is a roster that still has plenty of depth improvement to go.
(And it's not as young as people think it is anymore, either. Poles added a lot of age this offseason.)

It's a fair matter for debate whether a star or a lot of depth and/or future starters helps more (although I will usually take the latter).
But claiming the team is fine on depth (or that your 3 & 4 will cover it all) is simply not true.

wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am
dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm Poles interviews he talks about only having 4 picks and why he thinks it’s fine given how many they’ve had recently

It's technically true the Bears have had a lot of picks over the last 2-3 drafts - but a huge proportion of them were 6th and 7th round picks, which really don't matter. By that point in the draft, you're on lottery tickets. And what the Bears netted with all those late picks (not much) is very much in line with them being low value.

If you count R1-5, they've had 16 picks in the last 3 years (yes, 3 yrs ago wasn't a Poles draft, but it still affects what you have or don't have on your squad regardless), where 15 is the average.

And that's with a starting point of a roster burned to the ground and 0 FAs of lasting consequence added in 2022.

(And it's not as young as people think it is anymore, either. Poles added a lot of age this offseason.)

It's a fair matter for debate whether a star or a lot of depth and/or future starters helps more (although I will usually take the latter).
But claiming the team is fine on depth (or that your 3 & 4 will cover it all) is simply not true.
This isn't the 80's. You can't be three deep with starters at every position. The Bears need another WR, another offensive lineman, a 3rd TE, a backup to Billings, someone better than Walker at DE, and maybe a linebacker. Outside of the obvious need at QB, those are really the most glaring.

3rd TE, Billings backup, and the 5th LB can be found after the draft.
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:53 am The Bears need another WR, another offensive lineman, a 3rd TE, a backup to Billings, someone better than Walker at DE, and maybe a linebacker. Outside of the obvious need at QB, those are really the most glaring.

Yeah...there's a lot of teams that are making a lot changes this seson. There'll be more good players available than most off-seasons.
Z Bear
MVP

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 am Yea my draft right now is: CW, Dallas Turner, Ricky Pearsall, then the biggest, nastiest IOL available (raw is fine, I want size/power and a guy to develop).
This is the guy I took in the 4th round above, he seems to fit the Poles RAS deal.

dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:53 am
Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

This isn't the 80's. You can't be three deep with starters at every position. The Bears need another WR, another offensive lineman, a 3rd TE, a backup to Billings, someone better than Walker at DE, and maybe a linebacker. Outside of the obvious need at QB, those are really the most glaring.

Don’t we have Carlson under contract as a 3rd TE?