Yogi da Bear's Picnic Basket (2024)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:13 pm Here's even more:

The Great Blue North had him at #99.
Bleacher Report had him at #72.
Finally, Pro Football Network had a consensus of over 70 boards the week before the draft. They had him at #79.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2023 ... big-board/

And here's the link to the consensus for Mock Draft Data Base:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/bi ... 023?pos=DL

So there's your proof like you requested. Let's see if you're a liar or not. Whether you'll actually admit you're wrong or whether you're Rich 2.
Keep in mind Rich 2 means you debating Yogi on Matt Barkley, Taylor Mays, whether Oakland is somehow "Local" to Seattle, and Marcus Mariotta - Yogi being loud, loud wrong - Sometimes never even admitting he was wrong

And thinking the other guy is a liar somehow?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:55 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:01 pm
Interesting.

Provide proof Gervon was a "reach" among the pundits? Show me all these mock drafts that had him going in the fourth round? I'd be thrilled to see them?

"None" had him above the third round?

I don't tolerate bullshit, or make believe. Give me proof of your claims, there. If I'm mistaken about everything--I will admit it. Show me proof of your claims.
Walter football had him at 81.
Behind the Lines had him at 111.
PFF had him at 88
Draft plex had him at 94.
Sports Illustrated had him at 64 (that's round 3 if you're counting).
Draft Tek had him at 69.

The Consensus Big Board at Mock Draft Data Base which is a compilation of 175 Big Boards, 1521 First Round Mock Drafts, and 11181 Team based mock drafts had him ranked 72 as of their latest mocks.

That last point is important. When I make my Picnic Basket, I scour numerous mock drafts and do tons of mock draft sims. I made my Basket in March, and there was not one single mock I read that had him going before Round 4. Not one. Obviously, he rose on many boards after I did my basket, but certainly not into consensus Round 2 range.

I don't mind being told I'm wrong. I often am. But I don't appreciate being told I'm a liar or a bullshitter. I'm not either.

:flick:

Now admit it.
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:13 pm Here's even more:

The Great Blue North had him at #99.
Bleacher Report had him at #72.
Finally, Pro Football Network had a consensus of over 70 boards the week before the draft. They had him at #79.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2023 ... big-board/

And here's the link to the consensus for Mock Draft Data Base:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/bi ... 023?pos=DL

So there's your proof like you requested. Let's see if you're a liar or not. Whether you'll actually admit you're wrong or whether you're Rich 2.
I was rather expecting you to end with one of these Yogi:

You've got to concede this one Heinz D. :)
Bearfacts
MVP

I gotta admit I have no idea who Pole and Flus favor for a DE/Edge. Do they want a guy who at least for starters is more of pure pass rusher or someone more versatile? Do they want to draft anyone at all at #9 unless it's "their" guy of does Poles have several he'd take at #9. Is he really OK with just four picks or is he setting up a smoke screen and has plans to suss out a couple before the draft? I'm thinking it's gonna remain a mystery right up 'til the time the Bears are on the clock and he listens to final offers on the pick.

Rice might be a nice pick giving CW an X WR he has rapport with but what happens in round three may depend on what happens in round one where a second tier of DE/Edge guys may land. I don't know much about the second tier DT but a kid like Limmer might be a good move to at least get a young OC in the pipeline. As for a trade down I'm personally against it if there is anyone still on the board Poles and Co consider a top tier blue chip can't miss player. IMHO the top of this draft should emphasize top quality.
dave99
Assistant Coach

One way to look at this is that the draft is deep at WR and fairly shallow at DE. Also, there are a lot of "edge rushers" who fit a 3-4 a lot better than what the Bears run.
Thanks to Pole's the Bears have two of the best WR to start. The much greater need right now is DE and most of the value seems to reside in the top half of the first round.
They can get a talented but unfinished WR in the third round and have him learn under the Moore, Allen and hopefully a better WR coach.
Also, it is tempting but too early to give up on Scott who was always going to need time to grow.

Latu is the best plug and play pass rusher in the draft and can make our front 7 formidable. If Dextor continues to ascend it can be downright scary.
Not sure about the Rice pick, but you are plugging huge holes in both lines and maybe getting a solid #3 WR.

So, if I can just find the spicy mustard, it'll make a great picnic for Bear fans to feast on.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:57 pm Image
I laughed hard at this and I’m not even sure why
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:33 pm I gotta admit I have no idea who Pole and Flus favor for a DE/Edge. Do they want a guy who at least for starters is more of pure pass rusher or someone more versatile? Do they want to draft anyone at all at #9 unless it's "their" guy of does Poles have several he'd take at #9. Is he really OK with just four picks or is he setting up a smoke screen and has plans to suss out a couple before the draft? I'm thinking it's gonna remain a mystery right up 'til the time the Bears are on the clock and he listens to final offers on the pick.

Rice might be a nice pick giving CW an X WR he has rapport with but what happens in round three may depend on what happens in round one where a second tier of DE/Edge guys may land. I don't know much about the second tier DT but a kid like Limmer might be a good move to at least get a young OC in the pipeline. As for a trade down I'm personally against it if there is anyone still on the board Poles and Co consider a top tier blue chip can't miss player. IMHO the top of this draft should emphasize top quality.
I do think there's something to this. Did anybody else see the video where Poles and Flus are watching clips of prospects together? I've tried to find it since, but I can't. Anyway, Poles is looking at a clip and says, "I love watching this guy, I'd take one of them." Flus nods his head and responds, "how about two?"

This leads me to believe that they're in agreement on a prospect, somebody at a position which would benefit the team greatly if there were two of them on the team. I guess that could be just about any position, but probably either a DL, an OL, or a WR. Whatever the case, it reinforces the belief that they're in agreement on a prospect, somebody they'd take at #9 if available. Myself, I think it might be Latu as I love watching him, but I guess it could be any of the top three receivers as well.

Of course, this is all speculation....
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:35 am One way to look at this is that the draft is deep at WR and fairly shallow at DE. Also, there are a lot of "edge rushers" who fit a 3-4 a lot better than what the Bears run.
Yes
Edge rushers this year are nearly all great OLB fits and a bit of a stretch or ridiculous to play DE.

(It usually skews easier to find the OLBs, this year is more so. Which is why I think running a 34 is preferable.)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:35 am One way to look at this is that the draft is deep at WR and fairly shallow at DE. Also, there are a lot of "edge rushers" who fit a 3-4 a lot better than what the Bears run.
Thanks to Pole's the Bears have two of the best WR to start. The much greater need right now is DE and most of the value seems to reside in the top half of the first round.
They can get a talented but unfinished WR in the third round and have him learn under the Moore, Allen and hopefully a better WR coach.
Also, it is tempting but too early to give up on Scott who was always going to need time to grow.

Latu is the best plug and play pass rusher in the draft and can make our front 7 formidable. If Dextor continues to ascend it can be downright scary.
Not sure about the Rice pick, but you are plugging huge holes in both lines and maybe getting a solid #3 WR.

So, if I can just find the spicy mustard, it'll make a great picnic for Bear fans to feast on.
I tend to agree with this - although I think the draft is "Deep" at DE in the 9-15 range though
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:28 am
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:33 pm I gotta admit I have no idea who Pole and Flus favor for a DE/Edge. Do they want a guy who at least for starters is more of pure pass rusher or someone more versatile? Do they want to draft anyone at all at #9 unless it's "their" guy of does Poles have several he'd take at #9. Is he really OK with just four picks or is he setting up a smoke screen and has plans to suss out a couple before the draft? I'm thinking it's gonna remain a mystery right up 'til the time the Bears are on the clock and he listens to final offers on the pick.

I do think there's something to this. Did anybody else see the video where Poles and Flus are watching clips of prospects together? I've tried to find it since, but I can't. Anyway, Poles is looking at a clip and says, "I love watching this guy, I'd take one of them." Flus nods his head and responds, "how about two?"

This leads me to believe that they're in agreement on a prospect, somebody at a position which would benefit the team greatly if there were two of them on the team. I guess that could be just about any position, but probably either a DL, an OL, or a WR. Whatever the case, it reinforces the belief that they're in agreement on a prospect, somebody they'd take at #9 if available. Myself, I think it might be Latu as I love watching him, but I guess it could be any of the top three receivers as well.

Of course, this is all speculation....
This got discussed a while back. It appears some fans did detective work and what they were wearing in that video is what they were wearing the day the DEs were doing drills. Most think they are talking about Turner or Verse.

But the more I think about it and how Poles operates, he likely had him and Flus change clothes into what they had on during the DE day and it was actually some other day. Doing everything he can to throw teams off.
wab
Mod

Don't make me lock the Picnic Basket thread...
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:18 am Don't make me lock the Picnic Basket thread...
I thought my post was funny, but it was not helpful and could have fanned the flames. i tried to delete it but that wasn't an option, so I just changed it.

Sorry. Sometimes things I think are funny (and it was funny) could be taken wrong and make things worse.
wab
Mod

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:25 am
wab wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:18 am Don't make me lock the Picnic Basket thread...
I thought my post was funny, but it was not helpful and could have fanned the flames. i tried to delete it but that wasn't an option, so I just changed it.

Sorry. Sometimes things I think are funny (and it was funny) could be taken wrong and make things worse.
It wasn't directed at you. It's to the people bickering and calling each other names over Gervon Dexter's draft slot.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:28 am

It wasn't directed at you. It's to the people bickering and calling each other names over Gervon Dexter's draft slot.
When you put it like that it shines a light on Bears fandom :D
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Bearfacts
MVP

I would disagree that this draft has edge guys who are strictly 3-4 OLB. It's a passing league and the trends are changing as far as prototypical size for certain positions. Of note should be that players who are drafted to play primarily as pass rushers or penetrating 3 tech DT are getting smaller. For a RDE 250-260lbs is about right and some designated pass rushers may be even lighter. Teams are drafting and playing 3 tech DT who are sub 300lbs ala Aaron Donald. LB are getting smaller or at least lighter in order to cover TE/RB.

There are players layered through this draft who play DE at 250lbs in college and some will in the NFL as well. Most of the top DT in this draft go 300lbs or less so smaller, faster, more athletic players are on the rise because it's what teams are looking to draft. One of my favorite mid round players in this draft is Mo Kamara who played here at CSU. He's only 6'1"/250lbs but he plays like a Tasmanian Devil with a high revving engine. He's fast, he plays with violence, and he was uber productive in college.

I'd love to see the Bears draft him because he plays the run well. He had 45.5 TFL and 30.5 sacks in his college career. Sure he played in a lesser conference but many MWC players have made it to the NFL and Kamara plain old dominated in college.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I think we had his brother, Sam, on the Bears a couple of years ago. lol
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:28 am

Sure but it wasn't helpful when I posted the meme of Michael Jackson eating popcorn. :evilgrin: just trying to set a good example and help defuse it. Sometimes the use of humor to lighten up something makes others upset.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Heinz D.
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:55 pm :flick:
:scared:

:lol:

I'm not going to post my apology (and explanation) here, as I don't want to further derail Yogi's thread.

I think everybody who bothers to follow what I read/post here knows that my default setting is pretty much always, "be cool".

I'll reach out to Yogi (hopefully tomorrow dude--but no promises), and if he feels it's a conversation better spread to the membership as a whole, we can do that!

So, sorry Yogi, and I'll be contacting you soon...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Heinz D.
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:17 pm Image

You've got to concede this one Heinz D. :)
Hell, I'd "like" that post just for the gif!
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:57 am I don’t care what anybody says, I still think it was a mistake getting rid of Justin Fields for a sixth round pick/conditional fourth for next year. Always will. Ryan Poles said that he was brought in to “break the cycle,” just like he was brought into Kansas City with Andy Reid, to “break the cycle.” The thing is, this is not how they broke the cycle in KC. They didn’t dump their starting QB for a song and immediately throw Mahommes into the fire. Instead, they sat him for a year while starting Alex Smith.

Poles also stated that they had run out of runway with respect to Justin’s rookie contract, but that’s not really true, is it. The Bears still had the fourth year of Justin’s contract remaining. They saved all of 3.2 mill by trading him for a song. DJ Moore rationalized the trade by saying “business is business.” By what kind of business is that?

And before you say the move was made to insure a “clean” locker room, remember that these guys are professionals, or at least they’re supposed to be. And given what’s been reported with respect to the character of Fields and the presumed Bear draft pick, this situation should have been able to be resolved amicably. And what if there are problems with the contract negotiations for our rookie or what if that rookie (knock on wood) gets hurt? What if he struggles, as rookie QBs are wont to do, even Peyton Manning. It seems the presence of Fields on our roster would only serve to take much of the pressure off our rookie. Again, if trading Justin Fields for a song is “business,” it’s not very good business.
Yogi, I always enjoy your annual picnic basket and would be happy if it worked out this way. Love the Brendan Rice pick in RD3.

I most greatly appreciate your comments on trading Justin as my thoughts are aligned with yours. It has taken me a few weeks to move past it and accept the situation.

It would not have been a mistake to keep Fields, draft Caleb and let him watch and learn during his rookie year. It would actually "break the cycle" but here we are once again.

Potential lame duck HC, forced to start a rookie at QB... Sounds all too familiar. Break the cycle? Are you kidding me! LOL

I was clearly in the keep JF side before the trade and have been working to learn more about Caleb as it is clear he is going to be our QB.

He was not my choice at all and really hoped we would trade for the haul but will cheer him on the moment we draft him at #1. Bear down! :toast:
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Bearfacts
MVP

I honestly don't feel Flus is on the hot seat any longer. If Poles was unhappy with him January would've been the time to replace the entire coaching staff not just an OC and WR coach. It would seem to me to take a lot of bad luck not to improve upon last years 7-10 record which could just as easily been 10-7 had they not gotten off to an 0-4 start and had three 4th Q collapses.

Vegas has them at 8.5 right now on the over/under and if I was a betting man I'd bet the over. I expect the offense to be significantly better and the only area on defense that concerns me is the DL and the possible lack of depth and the failure of Dexter and Pickens to show improvement. They're the 3 tech DT Flus will want to rotate so a lot will depend upon their continued growth.
cblaz11
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:54 pm Most of my draft ideas have been (as of late) trading down from #9 to get Latu - So fully on board there. (Ill ignore the Fields stuff)

Definitely conservative on the trade down value

Hate the Rice pick - I think his game is extremely limited - My best comp for him was ESB - I think if his last name is Jones (in a normal year - this year is weak on overall depth) he'd be going later than the 3rd

Like the LSU pick (Though if Sweat can somehow make it that far???)

and the Oklahoma Center is a good consolation prize at Center (I still want the West Virginia kid)
It’s always a great day when I get to read the Picnic Basket…rumor is Mel Kiper waits to release his final mock until he gets his on the famous CBFans Picnic Basket.

I like the picks, don’t love them.

I like Latu but I have concerns with his core strength, gym commitment, and ability to get off the blocks. That said, if he has the love for the game, the possibilities are endless with him.

I agree with Rich on the WR and OC…I really don’t like the USC WR that early in a very deep class and would prefer the WV Center.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:00 am
I like Latu but I have concerns with his core strength, gym commitment, and ability to get off the blocks.
Oh sweet, you guys work out together?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:54 pm Most of my draft ideas have been (as of late) trading down from #9 to get Latu - So fully on board there. (Ill ignore the Fields stuff)

Definitely conservative on the trade down value

Hate the Rice pick - I think his game is extremely limited - My best comp for him was ESB - I think if his last name is Jones (in a normal year - this year is weak on overall depth) he'd be going later than the 3rd

Like the LSU pick (Though if Sweat can somehow make it that far???)

and the Oklahoma Center is a good consolation prize at Center (I still want the West Virginia kid)
It’s always a great day when I get to read the Picnic Basket…rumor is Mel Kiper waits to release his final mock until he gets his on the famous CBFans Picnic Basket.

I like the picks, don’t love them.

I like Latu but I have concerns with his core strength, gym commitment, and ability to get off the blocks. That said, if he has the love for the game, the possibilities are endless with him.
I can understand concerns about his injury and his ability to set an edge against dominant run blocking OTs like Fuaga, but I don't think you need to worry about his love for the game. He came back from a devastating neck injury, risked paralysis, and shopped for a team who would medically clear him. Plus with his repertoire of moves, he's clearly studied and practiced his position in depth. I don't think his love of the game can be questioned.

His ability to get off blocks is amazing with the wide selection of moves at his disposal. In fact, it's why I want him. Core strength is something that's hard to judge. He does need to anchor better in the run game. But his gym commitment shouldn't be a concern when you look at his Combine testing. It wasn't like Verse, but it was still pretty effing good.

I agree with Rich on the WR and OC…I really don’t like the USC WR that early in a very deep class and would prefer the WV Center.
My favorite center is JPJ. By far. But he's supposed to go in the first. We're not taking him. Fraizer is supposed to go in the second. After the two moves Poles made, I don't think he's going to take a center there. My intention with Limmer was to take a center in the fourth in order to develop him. I did intentionally over drafted both Rice and Smith, so I guess you could take Fraizer with our second pick and drop each of those down a slot, but I don't see Poles doing something like that.

Comparing Limmer and Fraizer side by side, I think Fraizer has a higher floor, but Limmer has a much higher ceiling. Fraizer's somebody who can come in and start immediately. His wrestling background makes him real effective in the box, but he doesn't have near the athleticism of Limmer to pull or get to the second level. When Fraizer gets to a linebacker, it's a guy in the box too--a short burst to get to him. He's not going much further than that. Limmer, however, has to learn how to handle counters. His initial functional strength is amazing. Hell, he had the most Reps (39) at the Combine, couple that with a 700 lb. Squat.

I ovrdrafted Rice because of his familiarity with Caleb, but Rice is an enigma to me. He was supposed to kill at the Combine (ran 23 MPH on the GPS), but he bombed instead. How do you lose 4 reps on the bench and an inch and a half on your vertical? But whatever the case, he seems to be like his father and be a much different player on the field. How does a guy with 4.5 speed collect so many deep balls? A CB will running with him step for step, and all of a sudden Rice gets a step or two on him. He appears as the bail out guy in many of Caleb's "hero" plays. But like I said, I overdrafted him to make Caleb more comfortable. This might well be a place where you could trade down and still get him. I took him where I did, because the Bears grabbing Rice just makes too much sense.
cblaz11
MVP

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:00 pm
I like Latu but I have concerns with his core strength, gym commitment, and ability to get off the blocks.
No, but look at the guy. He doesn’t have the most impressive physique.

Everything we’re doing here is speculating…It’s proven that you think you can judge a player based on their highlight tape but I try to dig deeper by watching interviews and full games while also trying to judge their commitment in the weight room. Look at the guys Instagram…tell me he’s as committed in the weight room as Verse and Turner and you’ll also be telling me that you do jazzercise on the weekends.

Again, none of us know…just trying to make an educated guess other then watching the highlight clips and listening to the same experts that say Trubisky was better then Mahomes
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:14 pm
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:00 pm

Everything we’re doing here is speculating…It’s proven that you think you can judge a player based on their highlight tape but I try to dig deeper by watching interviews and full games while also trying to judge their commitment in the weight room. Look at the guys Instagram…tell me he’s as committed in the weight room as Verse and Turner and you’ll also be telling me that you do jazzercise on the weekends.

Again, none of us know…just trying to make an educated guess other then watching the highlight clips and listening to the same experts that say Trubisky was better then Mahomes
I watch full game tape when I make my selections. As much as I can find. That's how I saw Verse get taken advantage of on the edge. Much moreso than Latu was. Confess that I don't watch many interviews though.

It's hard to believe that this guy doesn't spend a lot of gym time. Watch how quick his hands are against the bag.

Check out the RAS between Verse and Latu. Although Verse is much stronger and has a faster 40. Latu has him in the short area quickness, the cone and the shuttle. By a lot.

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=2 ... 049&pos=DE
cblaz11
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:39 pm

I watch full game tape when I make my selections. As much as I can find. That's how I saw Verse get taken advantage of on the edge. Much moreso than Latu was. Confess that I don't watch many interviews though.

It's hard to believe that this guy doesn't spend a lot of gym time. Watch how quick his hands are against the bag.

Check out the RAS between Verse and Latu. Although Verse is much stronger and has a faster 40. Latu has him in the short area quickness, the cone and the shuttle. By a lot.

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=2 ... 049&pos=DE
That wasn’t directed at you Yogi..I know you do your research. It was directed at the guy that thinks he knows all after watching highlight clips

As far as Latu, I like him but I have concerns. I think it’s ok to do that with prospects. Love his hands…love them. That said, he’s gonna have to get stronger because those hands won’t work unless he can counter with a bull rush or anchor vs the run.

I could be wrong on the weight room..That said, if I have the opportunity to make millions, I’m in that weight room 3 hours a day. He doesn’t appear to be..minor concern, but still a concern
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Have you seen Mahomes without a shirt? :evilgrin:
cblaz11
MVP

Complete different positions…Strength matters much more for dlinemen then QBs
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:51 pm [As far as Latu, I like him but I have concerns. I think it’s ok to do that with prospects. Love his hands…love them. That said, he’s gonna have to get stronger because those hands won’t work unless he can counter with a bull rush or anchor vs the run.

I could be wrong on the weight room..That said, if I have the opportunity to make millions, I’m in that weight room 3 hours a day. He doesn’t appear to be..minor concern, but still a concern
He actually has a pretty good bull rush.

His real problem is anchoring against the run against somebody like Fuaga. I agree though that he needs to work more squats. He has to be able to drop his hips when he's attacked that like.