30 Visits

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Not sure if there is another place where we are tracking the 30 visits this year but directionally, it's not a bad way of predicting picks or even FA signings. According to one source, last year: Darnell Wright, Tyrique Stevenson, Tyler Scott and Gervon Dexter all made 30 visits to Poles and company.

This year, the info I'm aware of thus far is:

1. QB Caleb Williams, USC (NFL Network)

2. WR Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State (Fishbain)
3. WR Rome Odunze, Washington (Brady Henderson, ESPN Seattle Seahawks reporter)
4. WR Malik Nabers, LSU (Rapoport)
5. WR Xavier Worthy, Texas (Fishbain)
6. WR Jha’Quan Jackson, Tulane (Fowler)

7. DE Dallas Turner, Alabama (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
8. DE Laiatu Latu, UCLA (Fishbain)
9. DE Chop Robinson, Pen State (ML Football)
10. DE Jared Verse, Florida State (Jordan Schulz)

11. TE Brock Bowers, Georgia (Tony Pauline, Sportskeeda)
12. TE Ben Sinott, Kansas (ML Football)

13. OL Graham Barton, Duke (Ryan Fowler)
14. OT Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma (Albert Breer's sources)
15. C Zach Frazier, West Virginia (Fowler)
16. T Kiran Amegadije, Yale (source)
17. IOL Trevor Keegan, Michigan (Leming)
18. OL JC Latham, Alabama
19. C Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon (CBS)

20. CB Cam Hart, Notre Dame (Justin Melo, The Draft Network)
21. CB Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn (Melo)
22. CB Elijah Jones, Boston College (Ryan Fowler, The Draft Network)
23. CB Andru Phillips, Kentucky (ML Football)

24.RB Dylan Laube, New Hampshire (Destin Adams, A to Z Sports)

25. S Kam Kinchens, Miami (Leming)

Players marked in yellow may count as "local visits" and not Top30.
Last edited by The Kaiser on Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Interesting Nehemiah Pritchett.

Could be a decent player there on day 3
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

That Dylan Laube is one of my favorite value guys in the draft.
Fast, runs good routes from slot or backfield, can catch anything, isn't afraid to lower his shoulder at times, changes direction pretty well.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:58 am Not sure if there is another place where we are tracking the 30 visits this year but directionally, it's not a bad way of predicting picks or even FA signings. According to one source, last year: Darnell Wright, Tyrique Stevenson, Tyler Scott and Gervon Dexter all made 30 visits to Poles and company.

This year, the info I'm aware of thus far is:

1. QB Caleb Williams, USC (NFL Network)
2.RB Dylan Laube, New Hampshire (Destin Adams, A to Z Sports)
3. T Kiran Amegadije, Yale (source)
4. WR Rome Odunze, Washington (Brady Henderson, ESPN Seattle Seahawks reporter)
5. CB Elijah Jones, Boston College (Ryan Fowler, The Draft Network)
6. CB Cam Hart, Notre Dame (Justin Melo, The Draft Network)
7. C Zach Frazier, West Virginia (Fowler)
8. DE Dallas Turner, Alabama (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
9. CB Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn (Melo)
10. TE Brock Bowers, Georgia (Tony Pauline, Sportskeeda)
11. WR Jha’Quan Jackson, Tulane (Fowler)
Its a really good list - Good Senior Bowl mix in there too
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I note that Dylan Laube and Jha’Quan Jackson have punt return touchdowns
xyt in the discord chats
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Read that Cam Hart is a big physical CB, the type Poles favors.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:58 pm Read that Cam Hart is a big physical CB, the type Poles favors.
Yep.
I was sim drafting him a fair amount before the JJ extension.
Now, there's just not as much use for him, for what you'd have to give. Unless you're really, really sold on moving Hart or Smith to FS.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Kiran Amegadje is a local kid from Hinsdale. Big mountain of a T. really smart too (obviously). He's 6'6" with freakish 36 1/2" arms. Could be a great project if you trade down for some late round picks.
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:29 pm That Dylan Laube is one of my favorite value guys in the draft.
Fast, runs good routes from slot or backfield, can catch anything, isn't afraid to lower his shoulder at times, changes direction pretty well.
He's a fun one, isn't he?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:56 pm Kiran Amegadje is a local kid from Hinsdale. Big mountain of a T. really smart too (obviously). He's 6'6" with freakish 36 1/2" arms. Could be a great project if you trade down for some late round picks.
I like him.

If you trade down for a lot of picks, he's a great luxury pick.

He's not lasting until Day 3, though.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:24 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:29 pm That Dylan Laube is one of my favorite value guys in the draft.
He's a fun one, isn't he?
I'm a big fan.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Brock Bowers 30 visit is noteworthy...

As we know, the Bears just re-signed TE 1 to a 4 year extension at roughly $12M per year and we also added our TE2 in Gerald Everett with a 2 year, $12M deal with $6M guaranteed-- meaning we can end it with no cap hit after 1 year.

It is not a reach to say that Bowers is to the TE position what MHJ is to the WR position-- the best prospect to come down the pipe in many years. Generational, if you're ok with that word.

In a league which some say is becoming "positionless" or where hybrid players offer more value, a player like Bowers sees a further increase in value.

Add to that:

- Waldron likes having multiple TE sets
- A good TE is a rookie QB's best friend
- The most winning QB/Pass Catching tandems of the last two decades have been TB10/Gronk and Mahommes/Kelce
- Bowers will almost certainly be available at #9 and possibly a few picks after that should the Bears trade down

And I wonder how this board would feel about selecting Bowers over others options with their 2nd first round pick.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’d be ok with Bowers, but boy is that a luxury pick
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

In last year's draft we landed Wright, Dexter, Stevenson and Scott who all came in for 30 visits.

That make wonder about not seeing Verse on any list thus far but Turner is. Not saying it means a whole lot, but worth considering.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:02 am I’d be ok with Bowers, but boy is that a luxury pick
More weapons for the future of the franchise Caleb Williams is NEVER a luxury pick. The NE Patriots were deadly for a few years with 2 stud TEs, until well, yeah we all know why that ended.
Last edited by HurricaneBear on Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
grendel2000
Journeyman

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:02 am I’d be ok with Bowers, but boy is that a luxury pick
I'm not so sure!

As others have mentioned, going to a "positionless" scheme could have major advantages to how we manage both the playbook and the roster / draft. With Bowers playing a sort of hybrid TE/WR role that would mean we have LOTS of options to see how the WR and TE on our roster are developing and panning out. If we find our WR room is stocked, Bowers morphs into more of a pure TE and in a few years we have good problems figuring out what to do with Bowers, Kmet, etc.. If our WR room is thin in a few years, Bowers continues to play WR/TE fusion.

This would give us lots of runway to find new talent for our receiving corps.
wab
Mod

Bowers, for all intents and purposes, is just a big WR. So I could sort of understand the pick. But I'm with Plank...it's a luxury. TE's usually don't take off until like their 3rd year.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:55 am Bowers, for all intents and purposes, is just a big WR. So I could sort of understand the pick. But I'm with Plank...it's a luxury. TE's usually don't take off until like their 3rd year.
Right around when we are losing either Allen or DJ? Sounds like perfect timing
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

You can honestly spin it so any of the big 3 positions are "luxury" as well as Bowers

We have Kmet and dont "need" a TE. Even though it would give him time to develop and be a long term option for Caleb. There have been some very strong 2 tight end offenses in the NFL most notably Gronk and Hernandez.

We have Braxton Jones who is perfectly fine at LT. But wouldnt an Elite LT really be nice?

We have 2 starting DE's in Walker and Sweat and a defense that played like the best in football to finish last season. I think its safe to assume that defense that played last season can be a top 10 unit as is. How much do we really need a DE? Does going from say 8th to 3rd best defense matter more than building around our franchise QB?

We have 2 stud WRs. We don't need a WR this year. But we could use one in 2-3 years, which is also about how long it takes WR to develop, when Keenan is even older and DJ is possibly gone. Would be a great time for a WR drafted this year and on the same page as Caleb to step into the #1 role.

It's a great fucking position to be in. We don't NEED to make a move at any of those positions. We get to chose which one we think makes our team best. And 3 of those positions reset the contract of a high money position. Poles nails this draft and the Bears are soaring for years to come.
wab
Mod

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:12 am You can honestly spin it so any of the big 3 positions are "luxury" as well as Bowers

We have Kmet and dont "need" a TE. Even though it would give him time to develop and be a long term option for Caleb. There have been some very strong 2 tight end offenses in the NFL most notably Gronk and Hernandez.

We have Braxton Jones who is perfectly fine at LT. But wouldnt an Elite LT really be nice?

We have 2 starting DE's in Walker and Sweat and a defense that played like the best in football to finish last season. I think its safe to assume that defense that played last season can be a top 10 unit as is. How much do we really need a DE? Does going from say 8th to 3rd best defense matter more than building around our franchise QB?

We have 2 stud WRs. We don't need a WR this year. But we could use one in 2-3 years, which is also about how long it takes WR to develop, when Keenan is even older and DJ is possibly gone. Would be a great time for a WR drafted this year and on the same page as Caleb to step into the #1 role.

It's a great fucking position to be in. We don't NEED to make a move at any of those positions. We get to chose which one we think makes our team best. And 3 of those positions reset the contract of a high money position. Poles nails this draft and the Bears are soaring for years to come.
I suppose that's all fair. But the 3rd WR and the 3rd DE are going to see the field a lot more than the 3rd TE. I wouldn't be upset if they took Bowers, but TEs drafted in the top 10 generally worry me.

I was certain OJ Howard was going straight to the HOF.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:19 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:12 am You can honestly spin it so any of the big 3 positions are "luxury" as well as Bowers

I suppose that's all fair. But the 3rd WR and the 3rd DE are going to see the field a lot more than the 3rd TE. I wouldn't be upset if they took Bowers, but TEs drafted in the top 10 generally worry me.

I understand the OJ Howard thing and am there with you.

I'd rather chose a WR or trade down. I'd be fine with Bowers or DE or an OT tho as I see a very clear path/strategy as to why you'd pick those. It feels like we are drafting from a position of strength this year more than just can ever remember
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/ ... nfl-draft/

Here is an older list as it's miss some, but it does give write ups on the ones they have listed so you can get some info on some of the lesser know guys.

Dylan Laube, RB, New Hampshire could be in play as an UDFA. He returned kicks in college and there has been some chatter online that with the changes to the rules, return guys might be shifting from fast twitchy guys to more powerful RB types to break tackles. If true the rule change may not do VJJ much good.

I knew worthy was a smaller guy, but name I just don't see how he can play in the NFL at his weight.

"Key measurements: Height (5-foot-11); Weight (26 pounds); Arms (31 1/8 inches); Hands (8 3/4 inches); 40-Yard Dash (4.21 seconds, a new NFL Combine record)"
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:19 am

This is where I'm at - Its absolutely irrational mind you - but its where Im at

#9 is just screaming trade down though
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I agree TE, T, WR are all definitely or arguably luxury picks

I disagree on DE, though.
Walker is really only half a DE. And DE rotates more than any other position. If you figure Sweat for 67% of snaps at DE and Walker for 33%, you've still got 100% left and even drafting another for 67% more of snaps still doesn't even fill up your 2x100%.

If you're going by immediate need, DE wins over all other positions (assuming QB at 1) no contest, IMO. (And DT being pretty meh and not a likely high draft target only adds to the need for strength at DE)
In order to go with something else, you've got to be thinking longer term (like "I'm definitely not expecting Allen back") or feel pretty strongly you're getting a much better quality of player than you can get at DE.

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:04 am

Walker is really only half a DE. And DE rotates more than any other position. If you figure Sweat for 67% of snaps at DE and Walker for 33%, you've still got 100% left and even drafting another for 67% more of snaps still doesn't even fill up your 2x100%.

If you're going by immediate need, DE wins over all other positions (assuming QB at 1) no contest, IMO. (And DT being pretty meh and not a likely high draft target only adds to the need for strength at DE)
In order to go with something else, you've got to be thinking longer term (like "I'm definitely not expecting Allen back") or feel pretty strongly you're getting a much better quality of player than you can get at DE.
Even in a system that rotates like Flus, Sweat should be closer to 80% of the snaps. We aren't paying him to be a rotational piece, we are paying him to be a corner stone.

If you dont draft a guy at 9, two guys that were part of the line playing so well last year are still out there at DE. And again, drafting a DE adds to the side of the ball that actually played at a high level. The offense is only stacked right now on paper. The D has actually shown it. We don't need another piece on D to be a top unit. But of course it would be a nice to have piece.

I think we have an incredible amount of flexibility this year with no needs that have to be filled in the draft alone.(Outside QB which is a done deal)

We may have to agree to disagree on this one.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 am Dylan Laube...

I knew worthy was a smaller guy, but name I just don't see how he can play in the NFL at his weight.

"Key measurements: Height (5-foot-11); Weight (26 pounds); Arms (31 1/8 inches); Hands (8 3/4 inches); 40-Yard Dash (4.21 seconds, a new NFL Combine record)"
Yeah 26 pounds is really, really small. ;)
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:15 am

Even in a system that rotates like Flus, Sweat should be closer to 80% of the snaps. We aren't paying him to be a rotational piece, we are paying him to be a corner stone.

If you dont draft a guy at 9, two guys that were part of the line playing so well last year are still out there at DE. And again, drafting a DE adds to the side of the ball that actually played at a high level. The offense is only stacked right now on paper. The D has actually shown it. We don't need another piece on D to be a top unit. But of course it would be a nice to have piece.

I think we have an incredible amount of flexibility this year with no needs that have to be filled in the draft alone.(Outside QB which is a done deal)

I think if they draft a DE, the "who" will have a big impact on their rotation. I think if they draft Verse or Latu, those guys would see a higher percentage of the snaps and play a more overall game. If they draft Turner, I think he might see fewer snaps. They may give him the Mark Anderson treatment and let his first year have the roll of just QB hunter. Play him a ton in passing situations (with Walker moving inside), but limit his snaps somewhat in running situations as they try to coach him up to be better in that aspect of his game.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

With the Bears or with Wash, Sweat has been between 64-70% of the snaps in all 5 of his years in the league.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... eaMo00.htm

Looking at the O or D as a whole, instead of by position, is a fair argument. Although I would counterargue that the biggest problem on offense was the QB, followed by IOL. So targeting other offensive stuff isn't really getting at the core problems, either.

And comparing to last year:
TE is the same or better off already (Everett for Tonyan, Lewis)
WR is much better off (Allen for Mooney)
OT is the same, maybe a little better, if Wright makes progress off his rookie year

DE - as much as I wasn't a big fan of Ngokoue or Green - is worse off. (Jacob Martin for Ngokue & Green is a clear loss)
And if you look at DL as a whole, then you also subtract Jones and add nothing (except for possible progress from the 2 rookies), which is also a clear loss

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The 14 guys brought in or planned for 30s so far. No OTs. No Verse or Latu although I'd expect one or both tobe invited:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... 30-visits/
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:15 pm

With the Bears or with Wash, Sweat has been between 64-70% of the snaps in all 5 of his years in the league.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... eaMo00.htm

Looking at the O or D as a whole, instead of by position, is a fair argument. Although I would counterargue that the biggest problem on offense was the QB, followed by IOL. So targeting other offensive stuff isn't really getting at the core problems, either.

And comparing to last year:
TE is the same or better off already (Everett for Tonyan, Lewis)
WR is much better off (Allen for Mooney)
OT is the same, maybe a little better, if Wright makes progress off his rookie year

DE - as much as I wasn't a big fan of Ngokoue or Green - is worse off. (Jacob Martin for Ngokue & Green is a clear loss)
And if you look at DL as a whole, then you also subtract Jones and add nothing (except for possible progress from the 2 rookies), which is also a clear loss
I agree about the DE spot. I’m all for bringing Ngakoue back. He clearly isn’t “the guy” who makes it happen but his numbers once Sweat arrived were decent. I’m not paying him $15M but surely that won’t be his market after last year.