OJ Simpson - Dead at 76

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

OJ Simpson has died after a battle with Cancer. That dude just couldn't stay out of trouble, and probably speaks more to his core character than anything else. In my personal opinion he was guilty as shit of the murder of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman. He did that as sure as I am alive right now. Then there was the string of other misdemeanors and felonies. Was he a great running back? Absolutely. A legendary career. But a career marred by a post football life of a terribly flawed individual.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:00 am OJ Simpson has died after a battle with Cancer. That dude just couldn't stay out of trouble, and probably speaks more to his core character than anything else. In my personal opinion he was guilty as shit of the murder of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman. He did that as sure as I am alive right now. Then there was the string of other misdemeanors and felonies. Was he a great running back? Absolutely. A legendary career. But a career marred by a post football life of a terribly flawed individual.
The only good thing that came out of that turd was The Naked Gun
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Wish I could say I was bothered by this, but I am not. Good riddance.

I still remember where I was and what I was doing when he was found not guilty. I was on a bus between buildings on the Anheuser Busch Tour in St Louis. When it was announced we all seemed to shrug our heads in disbelief.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:10 am Wish I could say I was bothered by this, but I am not. Good riddance.

I still remember where I was and what I was doing when he was found not guilty. I was on a bus between buildings on the Anheuser Busch Tour in St Louis. When it was announced we all seemed to shrug our heads in disbelief.
Good thread topic IMO....

I was playing poker at a guys house that I used to take phone calls for (he was a bookie lol). Game stopped for a few minutes, we watched the white bronco, then just kept it on in the background while we played.
LacertineForest
MVP

I remember being in 6th grade and having all the teachers pull us into a room to watch the verdict. Pretty sure I was happy he was not guilty because I didn't know shit. This doesn't seem like a big loss for the world.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Gee, that's a shame
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I just realized I was talking about the "getaway" coverage and not the verdict coverage. I remember being beyond pissed that he got away with obvious murder, and thinking that the law doesn't apply to rich people. That remains true to this day.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:10 am I still remember where I was and what I was doing when he was found not guilty. I was on a bus between buildings on the Anheuser Busch Tour in St Louis. When it was announced we all seemed to shrug our heads in disbelief.
I remember well where I was, too.

The only faculty lounge with a TV at the school where I worked. It was fairly full.

There's more to the story, but, like the trial, verdict, and reactions, it's all about race.... :(
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Yeah not shedding a tear.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am I just realized I was talking about the "getaway" coverage and not the verdict coverage. I remember being beyond pissed that he got away with obvious murder, and thinking that the law doesn't apply to rich people. That remains true to this day.
Yea, that interrupted the NBA playoff game on TV. If not mistaken it was the Bulls v Suns title series. I was pissed.
UOK
Site Admin

1. I strongly suggest you watch the HBO documentary series OJ Simpson: Made in America. It is an incredibly comprehensive series that goes over everything relevant before, during, and after the trial, up until 2018 or '19, I believe.

2. He murdered those people. It's not even a matter of if; it is objectively demonstrated that he alone was the only suspect, had motive, and was unaccounted for when they were killed.

3. The last act of courage he could've had to earn the smallest amount of redemption would've been to confess on his deathbed. I'm sure his ego would not allow it. Good riddance.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:59 am 1. I strongly suggest you watch the HBO documentary series OJ Simpson: Made in America. It is an incredibly comprehensive series that goes over everything relevant before, during, and after the trial, up until 2018 or '19, I believe.

2. He murdered those people. It's not even a matter of if; it is objectively demonstrated that he alone was the only suspect, had motive, and was unaccounted for when they were killed.

3. The last act of courage he could've had to earn the smallest amount of redemption would've been to confess on his deathbed. I'm sure his ego would not allow it. Good riddance.
He murdered those people. There was evidence at the scene, he had a cut on his hand, and he had a history of beating the shit out of Nicole. The only thing that prevented him from spending the rest of life in prison was a colossally inept prosecution. I'm quite sure that the prosecutorial process of OJ Simpson is now a law school case study of what NOT to do in a murder trial.
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:43 am
UOK wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:59 am 1. I strongly suggest you watch the HBO documentary series OJ Simpson: Made in America. It is an incredibly comprehensive series that goes over everything relevant before, during, and after the trial, up until 2018 or '19, I believe.

He murdered those people. There was evidence at the scene, he had a cut on his hand, and he had a history of beating the shit out of Nicole. The only thing that prevented him from spending the rest of life in prison was a colossally inept prosecution. I'm quite sure that the prosecutorial process of OJ Simpson is now a law school case study of what NOT to do in a murder trial.
The trial was plagued from the start. A lot of the press for years before that had said every court case with a famous person was the "trial of the century," but make no mistake, the OJ Simpson trial was THE trial of the century. It was the most high profile trial in American history, perhaps in recent world history. The circumstances were perfect for it to be a sensational cash cow for news networks, the pre-internet-in-every-home era hadn't quite ended yet, so TV was still the undisputed king of the nation's attention. The racial strife that had come to a boil in recent years with Rodney King and the LA riots further transformed the case away from what should've been a straightforward process into the culmination of a culture war.

The prosecution screwed up numerous times, and botched virtually any opportunity thrown their way to nail their arguments. The jury pool was a nightmare situation. With a trial lasting around a year or more, there was virtually no one who would commit to being sequestered that long. I think they dismissed something like 10 or 11 jurors altogether. It left the jury pool composed of people who, with the exception of a couple jurors, only had a high school education.

The whole thing was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, and it will never happen again. The perfect storm happened then and there. Fascinating to me, to this day.

I was a kid when the chase was happening, but strangely have no memory of the verdict announcement.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:00 am Was he a great running back? Absolutely. A legendary career. But a career marred by a post football life of a terribly flawed individual.
When I met Eric Dickerson I jokingly said it was nice to meet the second best running back of all time. He smiled and asked me who I considered the best... as I was standing there in Payton jersey. :roll:

I just pointed to the number on the jersey and he said for him it was OJ Simpson, to which I remember replying "well the less said about him the better".
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

What a piece of shit.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
wab
Mod

RIP the player on the field. The guy... not so much.

I had just gone to a sports card show, traded for an OJ Simpson rookie card. It was worth a TON at the time. Came home all excited about it, and my dad just pointed at the TV and said "probably won't be able to wipe your ass with that in the morning".
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:05 pm RIP the player on the field. The guy... not so much.

I had just gone to a sports card show, traded for an OJ Simpson rookie card. It was worth a TON at the time. Came home all excited about it, and my dad just pointed at the TV and said "probably won't be able to wipe your ass with that in the morning".
Looks like it's still worth about $2-6,000. If anything it dramatically increased its value.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

He has my respect as a football player. One of the GOATS. 2,000 yards in 14 games. Probably never going to happen again.
Heinz D.
MVP

UOK wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:09 pm I was a kid when the chase was happening, but strangely have no memory of the verdict announcement.
I worked at a pizza place at the time, and we were on our summer schedule (it was in a college town), so me and the rest of the crew were all getting ready to close it down...when we began to get BOMBARDED with orders! It was a tiny place, we only did carry-out and delivery, so there was no seating and we didn't have a TV, or anything. We were so freakin' confused!

So, I start delivering my share of the late orders, and everybody was watching the chase. I'd get to the next address, ask the customers if anything new had happened with O.J.! :lol:
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:31 pm
wab wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:05 pm RIP the player on the field. The guy... not so much.

Looks like it's still worth about $2-6,000. If anything it dramatically increased its value.
I sold it for 800 many moons ago.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Dear Bossman,

I politely suggest you shut this thread down. Nothing good can come of this.
UOK
Site Admin

Probably for the best.