Different trade scenario

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Noots
Assistant Coach

I think we're going to find someone of impact at 9. If we can get Odunze or Nabors---boom you take him. If they're gone, you get the best Edge Rusher available.

What do you guys think of this? What about trading up from 75 after having done the above? Maybe you get your Edge guy and then move up considerably from 75 to get a WR that you think can make a difference as the 3. There should be ample talent there. Come up and get Wulfy's guy Pearsall or maybe McConkey.

The other thought is moving up for the pass rush guy if we go WR at 1. That's likely going to mean you have to trade up higher, possibly into R1 again. I dunno, and it's tougher, but I feel like we're going to get a really strong player at 9, and it might be worth it to move up from 75 to get the guy we want. And at that point it could even be a DT like Fiske.
wab
Mod

WR isn't an immediate need IMO. Next year they will absolutely need one if Allen walks and Scott does nothing. I can see taking one at 9 if the value is there (Odunze/Nabors).

That's why the 9th pick is so interesting. They very well could need an offensive lineman next year. They could need a WR. They could need a DE or a LB.

The pick is relatively open this year. It's why I'm still anticipating a trade down just outside of the top 10.
spudbear
MVP

If someone is available at #9 that another team is willing to pay a high price (and Poles does not sell cheap), then will that player turn out to be someone the Bears could have really used and gone on to be Pro-Bowl worthy? Poles did well to find near-elite talent with Sweat and DJ Moore, but they were not Bears draft picks. He took a final chance with Fields but he fell short. Who else is near-elite talent? I had to ponder a little while to think of maybe Jaylon Johnson and Tevin Jenkins, the former Poles has already paid for and the latter will have a bill due this season.

The Bears need another near-elite talent player, and getting one through the draft rather than trade or paying through the nose in FA (if one is even available) seems to be Poles path. He'll also take advantage if he finds a desperate team making a big offer, but I don't see that happening for the #9 pick.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

why this absurd fascination with the WR position? the Bears have DJ Moore & Keenan Allen and whoever is the QB will only have so many throws a game to share the ball with the WR's, TE's and RB's

if they want to get WR help in later rounds, fine ... but to use the #9 pick on a WR would be absolutely ridiculous and ignoring other higher priority team needs IMO
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:30 pm why this absurd fascination with the WR position? the Bears have DJ Moore & Keenan Allen and whoever is the QB will only have so many throws a game to share the ball with the WR's, TE's and RB's

if they want to get WR help in later rounds, fine ... but to use the #9 pick on a WR would be absolutely ridiculous and ignoring other higher priority team needs IMO
This is kind of where I'm at. But draft value also plays a part.

Even though Allen is very likely to be a one-year rental, the 3rd WR is probably going to be the 5th option behind Moore/Allen/Kmet/Everett/Swift, depending on formation/personnel, on any given play. Plus I refuse to believe they have decided that Scott is a wasted pick already.

That's why R3 looks like the best spot to take a WR IMO.

BUT. If you have Odunze rated heads and shoulders above another player you are going to take at 9, then you still take Odunze and figure it out later.
wulfy
MVP

If you truly have the opportunity to draft a Defensive Game Wrecker at 9 at WR - you take him. If Poles Plan works - you won't be drafting anywhere near 9 again for a really long time, so to get that shot for a true blue chip player - now is your shot.

My only concern is I'm not too sure Odunze is "that player"... I think MHJ and Malik both are. More I watch of Rome, the more I see Alvin Harper - very good player, but not someone who DCs have to game plan for. I would trade both R2s next year with 9 for MHJ. I don't think that gets it done, but I'd take the swing.

I also wouldn't be disappointed with Joe Alt and then trade Braxton Jones for a R2.

Regardless, I have a ton of faith in Poles' ability to judge talent - so I'm about as comfortable as I can be with whatever he decides to do. (Which is HIGHLY unusual for me.)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:30 pm why this absurd fascination with the WR position? the Bears have DJ Moore & Keenan Allen and whoever is the QB will only have so many throws a game to share the ball with the WR's, TE's and RB's

They have Keenan Allen for one year. DJ Moore for 2. DJ will be commanding a large new contract when his time comes.

If you draft a WR, you are drafting to maximize Caleb Williams and thinking long term of replacing Allen and potentially DJ with the player you draft this year. You are giving that rookie a few years to get up to speed(#3 this year, #2 next, potentially #1 the following year) while gaining familiarity with Caleb. WRs take a few years to really develop so you are building for the future. Downside is a potentially weaker defense which doesnt really effect Caleb that much.

If you take a DE, imo, you are saying this team was a QB and another pass rusher away from competing and your pushing your chips in for a window that starts with the draft. You pair drafted DE with Sweat and hope Dexter takes a step and that you have a top 5 pass rush and can make a run. You hope that you gave Caleb enough and that you can keep the high priced WR duo together and that Keenan Allen can defy father time a few more seasons. If you miss on this and Caleb struggles, we are right back to the usual "we didnt do enough, give him 1 more year!"

Id also add, Poles doesnt draft for need. He has avoided the #1 need in most peoples eyes 2 years in a row in the draft and then filled that spot with a veteran free agent around camp. Poles is absolutely going to draft who he thinks he is the best player on the board at 9, regardless of what people say is the biggest need
grendel2000
Journeyman

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:50 pm

They have Keenan Allen for one year. DJ Moore for 2. DJ will be commanding a large new contract when his time comes.

If you draft a WR, you are drafting to maximize Caleb Williams and thinking long term of replacing Allen and potentially DJ with the player you draft this year. You are giving that rookie a few years to get up to speed(#3 this year, #2 next, potentially #1 the following year) while gaining familiarity with Caleb. WRs take a few years to really develop so you are building for the future. Downside is a potentially weaker defense which doesnt really effect Caleb that much.

If you take a DE, imo, you are saying this team was a QB and another pass rusher away from competing and your pushing your chips in for a window that starts with the draft. You pair drafted DE with Sweat and hope Dexter takes a step and that you have a top 5 pass rush and can make a run. You hope that you gave Caleb enough and that you can keep the high priced WR duo together and that Keenan Allen can defy father time a few more seasons. If you miss on this and Caleb struggles, we are right back to the usual "we didnt do enough, give him 1 more year!"

Id also add, Poles doesnt draft for need. He has avoided the #1 need in most peoples eyes 2 years in a row in the draft and then filled that spot with a veteran free agent around camp. Poles is absolutely going to draft who he thinks he is the best player on the board at 9, regardless of what people say is the biggest need
WELL SAID!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Noots wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:34 am I think we're going to find someone of impact at 9. If we can get Odunze or Nabors---boom you take him. If they're gone, you get the best Edge Rusher available.

What do you guys think of this? What about trading up from 75 after having done the above? Maybe you get your Edge guy and then move up considerably from 75 to get a WR that you think can make a difference as the 3. There should be ample talent there. Come up and get Wulfy's guy Pearsall or maybe McConkey.

The other thought is moving up for the pass rush guy if we go WR at 1. That's likely going to mean you have to trade up higher, possibly into R1 again. I dunno, and it's tougher, but I feel like we're going to get a really strong player at 9, and it might be worth it to move up from 75 to get the guy we want. And at that point it could even be a DT like Fiske.
The problem with this is that if you go edge in round 1, the draft is so deep at WR you're going to find a damn good one in the third, maybe even in a trade down from the third. I still think that Brendan Rice makes a whole lot of sense as Caleb is already familiar with him. But there's also somebody like Luke McCaffrey who I really, really like. And you could probably get either one of those in the late third/early fourth.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Rice just has so many limitations in his game.

I am hoping Caleb is letting people know that
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:05 pm Rice just has so many limitations in his game.

I am hoping Caleb is letting people know that
I'd be interested to know how honestly players discuss ex-teammates. Especially if they were friendly.

Do they actually separate business from personal? I'm guessing not and that they usually just talk up their buddies.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wulfy
MVP

:evilgrin: We all know RIcky Pearsall is the Answer - let's just admit it and move along.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Maybe he was injured, but when Caleb had his pro day, Brendan Rice looked like the galloping gourmet out there running routes.
Bearfacts
MVP

I believe it's because of the elite talent at WR especially with the top three or four. In another year Odunze may well be the first WR off the board and a top five pick. This year because of the needs at QB and two other elite WR he may still be on the board at #9. While he may begin as WR #3 if Keenan Allen isn't retained after this season that guy becomes WR #2 as early as next year.

There's also the advantage of having a rookie 1st round draftee under team control for 5 years on the cheap compared to what vet WR are getting now and they're not gonna get any cheaper. We're paying Keenan Allen $23 mil this year. The 9th or 10th pick in this draft will get a four year deal for $23-$24 mil total with a 5th year option. Next to QB WR is one of the costliest positions to acquire in FA.

Another reason would be the WR being the BPA on your board when it's your pick. Everyone agrees there are at least three elite WR in this draft; MHJr, Nabers, and Odunze. DE/Edge may be seen as a greater need but there are no elite DE/Edge guys in this draft. No first overall or even top five picks and only one relatively assured to going in the top ten. Clearly the WR talent there is better.
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:40 pm
Noots wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:34 am I think we're going to find someone of impact at 9. If we can get Odunze or Nabors---boom you take him. If they're gone, you get the best Edge Rusher available.

The problem with this is that if you go edge in round 1, the draft is so deep at WR you're going to find a damn good one in the third, maybe even in a trade down from the third. I still think that Brendan Rice makes a whole lot of sense as Caleb is already familiar with him. But there's also somebody like Luke McCaffrey who I really, really like. And you could probably get either one of those in the late third/early fourth.
Question for ya' Yogi.

Are you drafting a kid whose elite and may potentially become your # 1 WR or are you drafting for your #3 or #4 WR spot hoping maybe that kid ascends to a be a decent #2 or a slot guy? That's the level of talent you get in the middle rounds. Think Mooney, Scott, or Velus Jones. If you want elite you aren't gonna get him on Day 2 or 3.
dave99
Assistant Coach

If one of the "big three" WR's are there, I think we take him at 9. Rome is a true X, which we don't currently have. The NFL draft site compares him to Larry Fitzgerald. He can be productive while he is learning and creating a bond with Williams.
If those guys are gone, the greatest need is a pass rusher, the question is will Poles value any of the defensive lineman enough to use the 9 pick.
If we do go later for a WR, I think Malachi Corley could be lethal with a QB like Williams.

I'd be surprised if they use it on an OT. We already have a good LT that has problems with power rushers. Not sure why we need another one.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Bearfacts
MVP

dave99 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:21 pm If one of the "big three" WR's are there, I think we take him at 9. Rome is a true X, which we don't currently have. The NFL draft site compares him to Larry Fitzgerald. He can be productive while he is learning and creating a bond with Williams.
If those guys are gone, the greatest need is a pass rusher, the question is will Poles value any of the defensive lineman enough to use the 9 pick.
If we do go later for a WR, I think Malachi Corley could be lethal with a QB like Williams.

I'd be surprised if they use it on an OT. We already have a good LT that has problems with power rushers. Not sure why we need another one.
And that's an added reason why he's a good pick at #9 if here's there. But the top reason would be that he's the BPA and considered an elite prospect. Pass rushers are always a need but in this draft they may be slightly over valued and I mean slightly. I believe any one of them will still be a very good pro so if Poles opted to go that route we'd still be getting a very good player.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 pm Are you drafting a kid whose elite and may potentially become your # 1 WR or are you drafting for your #3 or #4 WR spot hoping maybe that kid ascends to a be a decent #2 or a slot guy? That's the level of talent you get in the middle rounds. Think Mooney, Scott, or Velus Jones. If you want elite you aren't gonna get him on Day 2 or 3.
Has anybody told Tyreek Hill (R5), Puka Nacua (R5), Amon-Ra St. Brown (R4), Michael Pittman (R2), AJ Brown (R2), Davante Adams (R2) just to name just a few recent All Pro/Pro Bowl WRs... oh and our own Keenan Allen (R3).

We all know media draft evaluators don't have a great track record. We just hope our team's GM and scouts are better and identify talent whenever it's available.

Poles chose Scott in R4 last year with pick 133. Nacua was taken in R5 by the Rams with pick 177. In hindsight I'm sure Poles and other GMs wish they'd been the ones to take the latter.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:40 pm

Question for ya' Yogi.
Are you drafting a kid whose elite and may potentially become your # 1 WR or are you drafting for your #3 or #4 WR spot hoping maybe that kid ascends to a be a decent #2 or a slot guy? That's the level of talent you get in the middle rounds. Think Mooney, Scott, or Velus Jones. If you want elite you aren't gonna get him on Day 2 or 3.
I don't think that's necessarily true. So I looked it up. Last year, Dell was drafted in the third and Puka was drafted in the fifth round. Two years ago, Doubs was drafted in the fourth. Three years ago, Nico Collins was drafted in the third and Amon-Ra was drafted in the fourth. I only found Mooney in the fifth four years ago. But five years ago, DK was drafted with the last pick in the second and then Diontae Johnson and Terry McClaurin were both drafted in the third. Six years ago, Michael Gallup was drafted in the third and Marquez Valdez-Scantlin was drafted in the fifth. And then seven years ago, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, and Kenny Golladay were all drafted in the third. And then the year before that, Tyreek was drafted in the fifth.

Now, not all of those might be #1 receivers but they're all pretty damn good. And when you consider that this is a bonanza year for WRs, I don't believe you have to trade back up into the second round to get one. In fact, there are so many, I think that somebody you might not expect is going to fall to the third. One name I've been hearing a lot of guys raving about is Jermaine Burton. Hell, Persall himself might fall. Hell, McCaffrey, who I absolutely love is being projected into the fifth round still.

I'm not against the Bears getting a first round receiver, but I don't think it has to be Rome. I'd be happy with Brian Thomas or Adonai Mitchell later in the first. But I don't believe we have to trade back up into the second for a receiver. This draft is too deep in them. But let me also make it clear, if we do take Rome at #9, I certainly wouldn't be banging the table, like when we took Enis rather than Moss and when we took Chrissie Williams.
Bearfacts
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:26 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 pm Are you drafting a kid whose elite and may potentially become your # 1 WR or are you drafting for your #3 or #4 WR spot hoping maybe that kid ascends to a be a decent #2 or a slot guy? That's the level of talent you get in the middle rounds. Think Mooney, Scott, or Velus Jones. If you want elite you aren't gonna get him on Day 2 or 3.
Has anybody told Tyreek Hill (R5), Puka Nacua (R5), Amon-Ra St. Brown (R4), Michael Pittman (R2), AJ Brown (R2), Davante Adams (R2) just to name just a few recent All Pro/Pro Bowl WRs... oh and our own Keenan Allen (R3).

We all know media draft evaluators don't have a great track record. We just hope our team's GM and scouts are better and identify talent whenever it's available.

Poles chose Scott in R4 last year with pick 133. Nacua was taken in R5 by the Rams with pick 177. In hindsight I'm sure Poles and other GMs wish they'd been the ones to take the latter.
You might get a guy day 2 but not so much after that. A couple of your examples have yet to show they're elite. And unless your definition of elite differs from mine (and it seems to) a few good years doesn't make any player elite. It takes an entire career to do that. Nacua has been in the league one year. Come back at me nine years from now.

So whose elite from this group? Allen would qualify since he's been a 1000 yard receiver any year when he's played a full season or nearly a full season. Davante Adams. A.J Brown, gettin' there. Tyreek Hill. The rest could become elite but aren't yet. Now, go back and look at those who were 1st round picks and you'll find even more.

Come on, we both know the odds are far better earlier in the draft and in this one there's not one elite WR but three or four. Not even one of them is ranked as a boom or bust type and this is the only draft we're dealing with right now. Not 2023 or 2025 or 2020 or 2018 or any other one but this one. If Poles wants a WR with the potential to be elite I'd say take him at #9 and increase the odds.
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 pm

Question for ya' Yogi.
I don't think that's necessarily true. So I looked it up. Last year, Dell was drafted in the third and Puka was drafted in the fifth round. Two years ago, Doubs was drafted in the fourth. Three years ago, Nico Collins was drafted in the third and Amon-Ra was drafted in the fourth. I only found Mooney in the fifth four years ago. But five years ago, DK was drafted with the last pick in the second and then Diontae Johnson and Terry McClaurin were both drafted in the third. Six years ago, Michael Gallup was drafted in the third and Marquez Valdez-Scantlin was drafted in the fifth. And then seven years ago, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, and Kenny Golladay were all drafted in the third. And then the year before that, Tyreek was drafted in the fifth.

Now, not all of those might be #1 receivers but they're all pretty damn good. And when you consider that this is a bonanza year for WRs, I don't believe you have to trade back up into the second round to get one. In fact, there are so many, I think that somebody you might not expect is going to fall to the third. One name I've been hearing a lot of guys raving about is Jermaine Burton. Hell, Persall himself might fall. Hell, McCaffrey, who I absolutely love is being projected into the fifth round still.

I'm not against the Bears getting a first round receiver, but I don't think it has to be Rome. I'd be happy with Brian Thomas or Adonai Mitchell later in the first. But I don't believe we have to trade back up into the second for a receiver. This draft is too deep in them. But let me also make it clear, if we do take Rome at #9, I certainly wouldn't be banging the table, like when we took Enis rather than Moss and when we took Chrissie Williams.
Read my response to Sweetness.

There's a difference between good WR and elite WR and one or two years of production doesn't make any player elite at any position. Elite is achieved across an entire career of top production. Keenan Allen is elite. D J Moore is becoming elite. In this draft, and only this draft not any other, there are three WR ranked as elite prospects coming out of college. I can't recall any recent draft with three WR all pegged to go in the top ten. There's not a single boom or bust guy among them. They are as blue as it gets.

Yes, you could look to trade down but how are you certain the one guy you want will be there? You can't. What's unique about this draft is there at least a 50% chance or better one of that trio will still be on the board at #9 and worth every bit of that pick. Others may be a fit later but where and how do you assure yourself of getting one. This is real world stuff not mock draft GM stuff. There are a lot of very good WR in this draft but three are ranked far above the others for a reason. They are the top sure things.

I've already said I'm good with whatever Poles elects to do I just want him to be every bit as sure about the long term prospects for whoever he drafts at #9 or after trading down as he is with CW. The best way I know how to do that is draft the BPA over positional need especially in this draft where the DL are not considered elite prospects. We need more blue chip difference makers especially on offense and with one WR only signed through 2024 and another through 2025 now would be a good time to draft a WR.

That all I have brother. :toast:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:17 pm You might get a guy day 2 but not so much after that. A couple of your examples have yet to show they're elite. And unless your definition of elite differs from mine (and it seems to) a few good years doesn't make any player elite. It takes an entire career to do that. Nacua has been in the league one year. Come back at me nine years from now.

So whose elite from this group? Allen would qualify since he's been a 1000 yard receiver any year when he's played a full season or nearly a full season. Davante Adams. A.J Brown, gettin' there. Tyreek Hill. The rest could become elite but aren't yet. Now, go back and look at those who were 1st round picks and you'll find even more.

Come on, we both know the odds are far better earlier in the draft and in this one there's not one elite WR but three or four. Not even one of them is ranked as a boom or bust type and this is the only draft we're dealing with right now. Not 2023 or 2025 or 2020 or 2018 or any other one but this one. If Poles wants a WR with the potential to be elite I'd say take him at #9 and increase the odds.
So younger All Pro/Pro Bowl players aren't "elite" because "it takes an entire career " to achieve that status but "there's not one elite WR but three or four" in this draft despite them having yet to start their NFL careers?

There's a definite contradiction there.

Ultimately though the point is that top notch WRs are regularly found outside the first round. In an apparently deep draft for WRs that might influence Poles' choice of whether to choose one with the #9 pick, trade down from there or trade up from his pick in R3 or R4.

I don't really care what he does as long as he lands at least one genuine blue chip player and a couple of solid contributors.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:39 pm Maybe he was injured, but when Caleb had his pro day, Brendan Rice looked like the galloping gourmet out there running routes.
Sadly thats his natural gait
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:36 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 pm

Read my response to Sweetness.

There's a difference between good WR and elite WR and one or two years of production doesn't make any player elite at any position. Elite is achieved across an entire career of top production. Keenan Allen is elite. D J Moore is becoming elite. In this draft, and only this draft not any other, there are three WR ranked as elite prospects coming out of college. I can't recall any recent draft with three WR all pegged to go in the top ten. There's not a single boom or bust guy among them. They are as blue as it gets.

Yes, you could look to trade down but how are you certain the one guy you want will be there? You can't. What's unique about this draft is there at least a 50% chance or better one of that trio will still be on the board at #9 and worth every bit of that pick. Others may be a fit later but where and how do you assure yourself of getting one. This is real world stuff not mock draft GM stuff. There are a lot of very good WR in this draft but three are ranked far above the others for a reason. They are the top sure things.

I've already said I'm good with whatever Poles elects to do I just want him to be every bit as sure about the long term prospects for whoever he drafts at #9 or after trading down as he is with CW. The best way I know how to do that is draft the BPA over positional need especially in this draft where the DL are not considered elite prospects. We need more blue chip difference makers especially on offense and with one WR only signed through 2024 and another through 2025 now would be a good time to draft a WR.

That all I have brother. :toast:
You know, looking through all those drafts to find lower round WRs, I don't think that this is as cut and dried as you might think. Since, you don't want to consider the younger receivers, I'll start four years back in 2020.

That year Henry Ruggs was the first WR taken, followed by Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, and Jalen Raegor. Only then did you get Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins, and Michael Pittman. Then you had a bunch of receivers, including Claypool, until you got Gabe Davis in the fourth.

Then in 2019, you had Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry in the first. Then you had Deebo Samuel and AJ Brown in the second, then four receivers until you had DK at the end of the second and Diontae Johnson and Terry McClaurin in the third. 2018 I won't argue with as DJ was the first receiver taken and everybody knows he's the best. lol

But then in 2017 you had Corey Davis, Mike Williams, and John Ross all taken in the top ten. Then you had Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, and JuJu Smith-Shuster taken in the second. It wasn't until the third that Cooper Kupp was taken, followed by Chris Godwin and Kenny Golladay later in the third, after a few other receivers.

In 2016, you had Corey Coleman, Will Furer, Josh Doctsin, and Laquon Treadwell all taken in the first, followed by Sterling Sheppard in the second. Only then did you get Michael Thomas and Tee Higgins. Tyreek Hill was taken much later in the fifth.

In 2015, you had Amari Cooper and Kevin White followed by seven other receivers until you had Tyler Lockett in the third. Stefon Diggs came in the fifth.

In 2014, you had Sammy Watkins, Mike Evan, Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, and Kelvin Benjamin all taken the first. Then Marquise Lee, Jordan Mathews, and Paul Richardson in the second. Only then did you get Davante Adams.

The misjudgment of receivers happens in almost every draft. I think this could be like that Justin Jefferson/Brandon Aiyuk draft where Brian Thomas and Adonai Mitchell are every bit as good as the Top 3 if not better. Well, not MHJ, but Nabers and Odunze, I think that it's quite possible.

Consequentially, if we want a second round pick, I think we're much better off trading down in the first rather than trading up from the third. But in my Picnic Basket, I went DL in the first, because I think of all the receivers who will make Caleb the most comfortable would be Brenden Rice, because he knows him. Rice is who he typically looked for when he got in trouble. And then I think the additions of Keenan Allen along with DJ is going to go a long way to helping our other receivers like Velus and Scott. Incidentally, don't forget that Keenan Allen was a third round pick in 2013. lol
RichH55
Hall of Famer

WR can be gotten later on - As a general concept

Doesn't mean you are absolutely going to get one that is good

This also hasn't been the strength of Poles so far (he has many, many strengths mind you)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Passing on a WR at 1.9 would be alot more palatable if they had a 2nd round pick.

I guess it's a good problem that we are sitting here like, wtf we are only getting a difference maker at QB and either WR or DE this draft instead of all 3.
wulfy
MVP

I'd love a scenario to move back from 9 about 5 or 6 spots, get a R2 in the 40s, for example: Raiders pick at 13 and their R2 at 44.

Then I go Jared Verse and Ricky Pearsall, or one of the Texas WRs (who I don't expect to be there at 44).
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:19 am I'd love a scenario to move back from 9 about 5 or 6 spots, get a R2 in the 40s, for example: Raiders pick at 13 and their R2 at 44.
I would, too, but that requires some luck.
By (original) trade chart 9 to 13 is only worth their R3.
You'd have to go back 10 spots for it to be worth 44

Standard disclaimer: different charts vary, trade don't always follow the charts, sometimes you can get more, but sometimes you also get less, investment services are not bank deposits or insured by the FDIC or other entity and are subject to investment risks including possible loss of principal amount invested.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:19 am I'd love a scenario to move back from 9 about 5 or 6 spots, get a R2 in the 40s, for example: Raiders pick at 13 and their R2 at 44.

Then I go Jared Verse and Ricky Pearsall, or one of the Texas WRs (who I don't expect to be there at 44).
Now that's what I'm talking about.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

It sounds like Ryan Poles understands how important the lines are and some of us here do not. The arguments for taking a WR for the Bears second pick do not hold water.

If he doesn't trade down, I foresee a QB, two linemen and then perhaps a WR.

I bet you, Bearfacts, that Poles takes two linemen before he takes a WR. Loser has to write a poem about how good Ryan Poles is.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS