Offensive Line - What will it look like

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:47 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:37 pm

Scan away.

I don’t think he caught it. It looks like the ground assisted with securing the ball.
I concur
Bearfacts
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:29 am
Bearfacts wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:52 pm

He can be traded with only $2 mil of dead cap and it wouldn't disappoint me at all.
Yeah. If he's a no show for effort at training camp, I'd trade him for a 6th and be done with it. Get him out of the building. Pryor is getting his reps. I'd like to see Benedet get some reps as well.
IMHO it's Flus' issue to deal with and his call.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Great he caught it…why does he need to go to the ground there?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Noots wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:09 pm Great he caught it…why does he need to go to the ground there?
If only Velus had gone to the ground purposely for dramatic flair.

Unfortunately it's just because he isn't good at football.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm not good at football either, so I actually find that really relatable.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Beginning to look like Jenkins won't be back with the team next season. Save and excepting he plays every game, injury free, or at least most of them (14? 15?). Contract negotiations haven't started between the 2 sides despite Jenkins' people reaching out to the team.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:59 am Beginning to look like Jenkins won't be back with the team next season. Save and excepting he plays every game, injury free, or at least most of them (14? 15?). Contract negotiations haven't started between the 2 sides despite Jenkins' people reaching out to the team.
Live shot of Jenkins Agents getting him to contract signing if Bears play ball

spudbear
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:59 am Beginning to look like Jenkins won't be back with the team next season. Save and excepting he plays every game, injury free, or at least most of them (14? 15?). Contract negotiations haven't started between the 2 sides despite Jenkins' people reaching out to the team.
I was looking at the other thread about Pickens and cap space for a DL addition and thought about Jenkins negotiation. With Williams/Odunze not signed and the need for another DL to be acquired, I'm guessing Poles is content to let Jenkins float for now. There may be a time during the season when Poles pushes the chips towards Jenkins, but he may not be comfortable with how big of a pile to push just yet. I hope Tev can be with the Bears going well into the future. Poles has to decide if he can afford him.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
RichH55
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:03 pm
I was looking at the other thread about Pickens and cap space for a DL addition and thought about Jenkins negotiation. With Williams/Odunze not signed and the need for another DL to be acquired, I'm guessing Poles is content to let Jenkins float for now. There may be a time during the season when Poles pushes the chips towards Jenkins, but he may not be comfortable with how big of a pile to push just yet. I hope Tev can be with the Bears going well into the future. Poles has to decide if he can afford him.
Jenkins needs to give you a full season - first and foremost (quibble and say 15-17)

You still have to make decisions then (I think Poles is going to let him walk). But if he's only playing 11 tops again? He kind of makes the decision for you IMHO
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A 16 minute breakdown of Nate Davis's play, highlighting some strengths and weaknesses, that's worth a watch.

otis
Pro Bowler

i imagine you all ready covered this but maybe someone can give me the cliff notes version. why is bates considered the starting center? the guy barely played and played less at center. then we have the starting center for the last two years from LA. why isn't he considered the starter? this seems an odd tack to the center position to take on poles part. any insight? thanks.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Based on pay maybe? The C job is up for grabs, a true competition, so best man wins
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

More and more looking like Davis' career is back against the wall. More excuses about this year's absences at OTAs. I think there will be a short leash at training camp and he'll be replaced by Bates (or the kid from Yale or ?) if he doesn't knock it out of the park. It was a common complaint with the Titans about him missing practices.
malk
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:54 am More and more looking like Davis' career is back against the wall. More excuses about this year's absences at OTAs. I think there will be a short leash at training camp and he'll be replaced by Bates (or the kid from Yale or ?) if he doesn't knock it out of the park. It was a common complaint with the Titans about him missing practices.
I'm not saying it's particularly smart of him but I also don't really care unless he starts missing chunks of training camp.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Noots
Assistant Coach

@HisRoyalSweetness . —thank you for that video. There’s a reason why I’m not as down on Davis as a lot of people are. He’s a good player. Now he needs to produce consistently at that level and stay on the field.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Just watched this short video from Swift Sports Network.

Any thoughts on Caleb Williams taking snaps from Connor Williams? Center's not a highly paid position, which is bizarre given its importance, his contract in Miami was for 2 years for a shade over $14m ($8.5m guaranteed) and he's coming off an ACL tear. If his recovery is ahead of schedule as reported then is he worth a risk or not?
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:08 pm Just watched this short video from Swift Sports Network.

Any thoughts on Caleb Williams taking snaps from Connor Williams? Center's not a highly paid position, which is bizarre given its importance, his contract in Miami was for 2 years for a shade over $14m ($8.5m guaranteed) and he's coming off an ACL tear. If his recovery is ahead of schedule as reported then is he worth a risk or not?
Would put Bates at G and our depth would be outstanding. I’d love to get him but doubt we do it.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:08 pm Just watched this short video from Swift Sports Network.

This upcoming offseason will be very interesting for the Center position and how its valued in the marketplace
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bates is going to by the starting C for the Bears in 2024. Poles has been trying to sign him since 2022. Poles sees something in Bates, and right now it's his position to lose.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

We can't sign him. Darnell Wright already wears #58. :backout: LOL

Seriously though in order to even consider it Poles I believe would need to move some money around to create some cap space. I haven't read anything so far that says we're even sniffing around signing him but that could change. Watch for Poles restructuring a contract or two as an indicator he's looking to add someone at more than just a vet minimum deal.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:42 pm

Bates is going to by the starting C for the Bears in 2024. Poles has been trying to sign him since 2022. Poles sees something in Bates, and right now it's his position to lose.
Agreed. I can't wait to see if hes right. As an ex lineman and as a GM we all think is pretty damn good, I'm trusting Poles got this one right. Its exciting to think of the line if Poles is right on Bates.

Jones continues to strengthen against the bullrush.
Jenkins stays healthy and consistent.
Bates is the guy at center.
Davis problems were due to his family tragedy and he rebounds.
Wright takes a step forward as a second year player.

That's what I'm talking about! That's a line Caleb can thrive behind.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:42 pm

So when we’re in Discord we’re going to call him Master Bates right? Do we even need to put that one to a vote?

BTW, I really miss playing this during games.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Supposedly the Bears are having serious discussions with Williams and are among the front runners to sign him. I'd welcome the move, he's one of the best if fully healthy but I wonder why they didn't sign him originally instead of Shelton.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:26 am Supposedly the Bears are having serious discussions with Williams and are among the front runners to sign him. I'd welcome the move, he's one of the best if fully healthy but I wonder why they didn't sign him originally instead of Shelton.
Medical uncertainty probably. I think they view Shelton as a strong backup caliber player, he was paid that way at least...Bates could easily play G and may be better there, and with the uncertainty around both Jenkins (injury/contract) and Davis (injury/cunt) that could be a really smart move for us.

I'm really hoping for this move now, think it would be a great move by Poles. Our OL would be so deep:

Starting 5: Jones, Jenkins, Williams, Davis, Wright
Backup 5: Shelton, Bates, Kiran, Carter, Borom or Curhan
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:52 am
Grizzled wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:26 am Supposedly the Bears are having serious discussions with Williams and are among the front runners to sign him. I'd welcome the move, he's one of the best if fully healthy but I wonder why they didn't sign him originally instead of Shelton.
Medical uncertainty probably. I think they view Shelton as a strong backup caliber player, he was paid that way at least...Bates could easily play G and may be better there, and with the uncertainty around both Jenkins (injury/contract) and Davis (injury/cunt) that could be a really smart move for us.

I'm really hoping for this move now, think it would be a great move by Poles. Our OL would be so deep:

Is this an either / or proposition with DE2?

It’s hard to argue against signing a high quality OL so I won’t do it.

If we do this then are there any objections to starting Booker on Day One to see what we have?
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:10 am

Is this an either / or proposition with DE2?

It’s hard to argue against signing a high quality OL so I won’t do it.

If we do this then are there any objections to starting Booker on Day One to see what we have?
It's probably an either / or, and I'd be happy with either to be honest. DE is the bigger hole, but Williams is a far better player than any of the available DE's so I'd lean that way if a choice had to be made. The OL would move up several spots and approach a top 10 unit with Williams at C, and with the top ranked WR/TE group and a more than capable RB room we could put Craig Krenzel back there and put up 30 a game.

Booker would be our top situational pass rusher. Walker would still be DE2.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Waiting for Williams recovery from an ACL tear is no doubt why no team has signed him. Even with modern surgery it's not a given he will fully recover. He is apparently ahead of schedule which is a positive development for him but there's still a significant risk factor for a team.

As for the Bears OL depth, don't forget Amegadjie. Unless they IR him for the year he's going to be on the roster, most likely in place of Borom given the latter's salary and cap hit leaping to nearly £3.2m.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:00 am

Waiting for Williams recovery from an ACL tear is no doubt why no team has signed him. Even with modern surgery it's not a given he will fully recover. He is apparently ahead of schedule which is a positive development for him but there's still a significant risk factor for a team.

As for the Bears OL depth, don't forget Amegadjie. Unless they IR him for the year he's going to be on the roster, most likely in place of Borom given the latter's salary and cap hit leaping to nearly £3.2m.
I didn’t forget about him, I posted him by first name so I wouldn’t have to spell his last name lol
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

I think they view Shelton as more than a strong backup caliber player. He started 17 games for the Rams last year and was decent. I think he's viewed as a viable starter at cener.

If we sign Williams and he wins the starting job (which I'm fairly sure he will) I don't see Shelton staying on the roster. He and Williams are both "center only" types. Bates will be the backup at center I'd think. Need the backs to have more flexibility when your starting center is a "center only" type. If Williams doesn't sign and Bates wins the center job, I could see Shelton being the backup at center. It just means if an OG goes down you likely have two starter change - Bates to OG and Shelton to center.
wab
Mod

Williams has position versatility too. He was a guard and a spot OT for Dallas. He didn't move to center until he went to Miami.