Offensive Line - What will it look like

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:50 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:12 pm It's this sort of thing we don't want to see from Williams.

I wouldn't be surprised if PFF class that as a sack or pressure given up by more than one O-linemen.
IMO that was his worst game as a pro. And I think where most of his detractors threw in the towel. He was absolutely terrible, lost, and it was hard to watch.
He was not that guy after he came back from injury, he just wasn't.
This is untrue sadly (with the exception of the Atlanta game)

It's why everyone in the league went above and beyond to avoid him. Unless the working theory is that maybe they didn't have the Bears game film post injury?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Jenkins working on himself offseason:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... nd-filthy/
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Here's the full Carmen Vitali article mentioned in the Sports Mockery article Grizzled posted:
Caleb Williams' development, Bears' success resting on one crucial group

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/c ... cial-group
It includes quite a lot of quotes from Teven Jenkins and it's well worth a few moments of your time.

Here are her tweets showing snippets from his workouts:

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Good stuff there
The Kaiser
Assistant Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:47 pm Here's the full Carmen Vitali article mentioned in the Sports Mockery article Grizzled posted:
Caleb Williams' development, Bears' success resting on one crucial group

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/c ... cial-group
It includes quite a lot of quotes from Teven Jenkins and it's well worth a few moments of your time.

Here are her tweets showing snippets from his workouts:

Yeah, that was one of the best Bears pieces in the last couple months. Totally has me pumped. Man, I hope Tev can dominate this year, stay healthy, get a nice big contract extension. I don't think we're on the hook for Nate Davis next year so if Amagdjie or Bates can step in, we can direct some of that salary cap Tev's way.
dplank
Hall of Famer

He’s really matured, health and narrative are the only things against him
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:14 am He’s really matured, health and narrative are the only things against him
He definitely grew up. Nice to see, so many athletes don't. I hope his training lets him slay the injury bug this year. We need Teven to continue to ascend.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:52 pm An enjoyable watch:

Loved his dad referring to "real" football! :evilgrin:
What a story he's gonna be if he becomes a big time OL in Chicago.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:14 am He’s really matured, health and narrative are the only things against him
Agreed. Year by year and step by step he's learned what it takes to become a top NFL OL. He now understand it's not his ability that's keeping him from the deal of a lifetime but rather his availability. He and Poles are at a crossroads. Poles can't risk offering him a high dollar long term deal unless he can prove he can stay on the field week to week. I like the kid and hope he succeeds.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

More interesting nuggets from Carmen Vitali and her time spent with Teven Jenkins. It's 30 minutes, although during the latter part the conversation veers into other areas of the team. Worth a listen if you have the time.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Kiran has been placed on the PUP list. I'm going to assume this will be his status his rookie year.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:27 am Kiran has been placed on the PUP list. I'm going to assume this will be his status his rookie year.
Please refresh my memory, he was injured in college? Just a continuation of that/likely red shirt year?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... endon-tear
How long does a torn quadriceps tendon take to heal?

The length of time it takes for a torn quadriceps tendon to heal depends on the type of tear and its severity. A partial tear can take several months to heal. A complete quadriceps tendon tear generally takes four to six months to heal. Many people find that it takes up to a year to reach their activity goals.
His injury happened in October.
He's way past the 6m mark and 12 would be early October.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

How does PUP work, does this mean he’s out at least 6 weeks?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:49 am How does PUP work, does this mean he’s out at least 6 weeks?
Amegadgie's not on the PUP list but the NFI one due to his injury having occurred during college, which means he counts against the 90-man camp roster limit. If he's still on the NFI list after cut downs he'll have to miss at least 4 games. He'd be moved to a reserve list so wouldn't count against the 53-man roster during that time.

I hate all these complex rules around injured players. Just let teams include the number of players currently on a practice squad to the actual roster so teams have enough cover for injuries and allow players to play whenever they're healthy.
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah he really has, proud of the kid.

Hope he stays healthy this season (and beyond) and keeps kicking ass!

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:15 am https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... endon-tear
How long does a torn quadriceps tendon take to heal?

The length of time it takes for a torn quadriceps tendon to heal depends on the type of tear and its severity. A partial tear can take several months to heal. A complete quadriceps tendon tear generally takes four to six months to heal. Many people find that it takes up to a year to reach their activity goals.
His injury happened in October.
He's way past the 6m mark and 12 would be early October.
I'm a little nervous but am hoping this is much ado about nothing.

I don't want this to be a redshirt year because I think he could provide valuable depth across the OL (save for OC). Hopefully he regains his strength/mobility and this is all behind him come September.

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

50% of NFL players who experience a quadriceps tendon rupture may never play again BUT the average age of players when they tear their quadriceps tendon is 27 years old.
Holy shit

Not aware that a quad tear was that serious.
Liked the pick at the time, but second guessing taking him that high, now, based on that info.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:12 am
50% of NFL players who experience a quadriceps tendon rupture may never play again BUT the average age of players when they tear their quadriceps tendon is 27 years old.
Holy shit

Not aware that a quad tear was that serious.
Liked the pick at the time, but second guessing taking him that high, now, based on that info.
Might be why he was available at that pick. Would definitely hurt in several ways if he can't make a recovery.
Z Bear
MVP

People also need to realize normal athletic action and being a NFL offensive lineman are two totally different worlds. Going to be tough to hold off a 275 pound specimen of muscle when you can't anchor.
spudbear
MVP

Poles made a gamble with Amegadgie as he has a high ceiling. Unfortunately we're worrying about the trapdoor floor. If you want to get above average players then you will gamble, some with better odds than others. VJJ has great speed and exceptional acceleration, but the gamble was with his hands.

Jenkins bad back worried me as it is "tough to hold off a 275 pound specimen of muscle when you can't anchor", and the back is the core for blocking. I hope Tevin has done what is needed to strengthen his back and not have it be a liability.

I'll trust Poles (former OL) to have a good idea of how particular injuries can affect offensive lineman. I'm glad that the roster has been stocked to the point where the team is not relying on a 3rd round rookie to start on the OL. They still need him for the future though.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas