Bears to be on Hard Knocks

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

The NY Giants will be the team of 2024's training camp.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Good.

It might be fun to watch but I don't see any way it would help win more games.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

That is quiet shocking to me tbh. Once they stuck at #1 I thought it was a lock.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

Perfect!
UOK
Site Admin

Actually it sounds like the door may still be open. This is Hard Knocks: offseason. Theres also a preseason, regular season, and postseason hard knocks now (good lord). So who knows.

The Bears allegedly gave up a home game to play in London to get out of doing this, but we shall see.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:02 am Actually it sounds like the door may still be open. This is Hard Knocks: offseason. Theres also a preseason, regular season, and postseason hard knocks now (good lord). So who knows.

The Bears allegedly gave up a home game to play in London to get out of doing this, but we shall see.
A new edition of the show, titled Hard Knocks: Offseason with the New York Giants will air on HBO this summer. The five-part series will begin July 2 and air every Tuesday in July. Cameras have been filming Giants General Manager Joe Schoen and others in the team’s front office and will chronicle free agency, the draft and the rest of the offseason.

This sounds like it could be really interesting. It wont of course, but it sounds like it could, since their entire offseason was realistically "how do we get rid of daniel jones."
G08
Hall of Famer

I'd love to be a proverbial 'fly on the wall' of this franchise, but if it is a distraction to them even one iota, it's not worth it.

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:02 am The Bears allegedly gave up a home game to play in London to get out of doing this, but we shall see.
Doesn't a team have to play a home game overseas in order to host a Super Bowl too? The Bears could have looked to do that while their new stadium is being built (wherever that may be) but as it's going to be a new stadium on a new site and they'll continue to play at Soldier Field in the meantime there's no particular advantage. It's not like the Soldier Field renovation when they had to play in Champaign.

It therefore seems to be a strategically sound move to tick off that IS game requirement to host a Super Bowl before the new stadium is in service and to avoid Hard Knocks at the same time given the club's extreme dislike of the latter.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:02 am The Bears allegedly gave up a home game to play in London to get out of doing this, but we shall see.
That's very interesting
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well, I've never watched an episode before and won't now. But, giving up a home game to avoid this seems colossally stupid to me. You need to rack up wins at home and throwing one of those games with that advantage is just....I mean....I don't get it at all. But I'm of the opinion that the entire overseas concept is a bad one because I feel it creates an unfair advantage (as does the 17 game schedule TBH, it should be 16 or 18 so it's fair).
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:48 am Well, I've never watched an episode before and won't now. But, giving up a home game to avoid this seems colossally stupid to me. You need to rack up wins at home and throwing one of those games with that advantage is just....I mean....I don't get it at all. But I'm of the opinion that the entire overseas concept is a bad one because I feel it creates an unfair advantage (as does the 17 game schedule TBH, it should be 16 or 18 so it's fair).
This is the extent that George McCaskey doesn't want to be on Hard Knocks.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:48 am Well, I've never watched an episode before and won't now. But, giving up a home game to avoid this seems colossally stupid to me. You need to rack up wins at home and throwing one of those games with that advantage is just....I mean....I don't get it at all. But I'm of the opinion that the entire overseas concept is a bad one because I feel it creates an unfair advantage (as does the 17 game schedule TBH, it should be 16 or 18 so it's fair).

Home field for 1 game is a plus
Having a crucial preseason (with a ton of new faces and scheme on offense) not turned into a circus is a plus

You have to weigh them both. They're quite different in nature, so it's hard to compare.
I think preseason is pretty valuable, so I lean to feeling fine with it.

Actually, I would imagine the team loses money when they do this. If so, I'm fascinated that he was willing to give up $$ for what they feel is better for the team.
Last edited by Moriarty on Wed May 15, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Nothing about the NFL schedule is "fair". A team can make the playoffs and have homefield advantage in the first round by winning their division when only 6 of their 17 games are against other teams in that division. Teams within that division play several games against opponents their division rivals don't play too. And some teams will benefit from the advantage of playing tougher inter-divisional match-ups at home whilst their rivals have to visit those same teams.

With teams split between two conferences I'm not sure how having 17 games makes it any less fair than having an even numbered schedule. All teams in a conference have the same number of home and away games each season.

I'm surprised the NFL hasn't expanded the IS games further having started playing in Germany and now Brazil in addition to the UK and Mexico. They seem stuck on 5 at the moment. They've sold out as many as 4 games in the UK in the past and had two in Germany last year. In terms of "fairness" having every team play that 17th game at a neutral venue would improve matters. They're a third of the way there. "Only" another 11 each year still needed. Plenty of countries on the map!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well, if they made it mandatory and had every team do it, I'd like it more than how they do it now. I'd either go that route, or remove it all together.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

If it is a disadvantage then at least both the Packers and Vikings are also playing overseas this season.
The Kaiser
Assistant Coach

I think the Bears need to get with the times and stop this idiotic aversion to being just like every other winning and modern NFL franchise. You have a perfect team, star QB and great storyline for Hard Knocks...for God's sake: Lean into it for once. Change the culture. Modernize. Stop acting like it's 1984 or 1944 for that matter.

I actually thought Kevin Warren would take that approach as he tries to build excitement around his stadium plans...

Geesh.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Kaiser wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:20 pm I think the Bears need to get with the times and stop this idiotic aversion to being just like every other winning and modern NFL franchise. You have a perfect team, star QB and great storyline for Hard Knocks...for God's sake: Lean into it for once. Change the culture. Modernize. Stop acting like it's 1984 or 1944 for that matter.

I actually thought Kevin Warren would take that approach as he tries to build excitement around his stadium plans...

Geesh.
:clap:

Exactly!
Richie
MVP

I would rather not have Hard Knocks CW's rookie year. However, I do agree that running from it like the black plague is silly.
wab
Mod

All teams have to do it eventually though, right?
wulfy
MVP

Poles should have signed up for what the Giants did .... the "offseason" Hard Knocks. He checks the box on HK and takes the heat off the team/coaching staff to do the real one.

Also, he's pretty transparent as far as GMs go, certainly vs Secret Squirrel Pace, so I don't think he'd be giving away any state secrets.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Virginia probably has a deal written on birch bark to keep them off it.
docc
Head Coach

..why not..her Birth Certificate is on papyrus..
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:04 pm ..why not..her Birth Certificate is on papyrus..
You'd know all but that eh docc. Or is yours carved on a stone tablet? ;)
Heinz D.
MVP

wulfy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:42 pm Also, he's pretty transparent as far as GMs go, certainly vs Secret Squirrel Pace, so I don't think he'd be giving away any state secrets.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
G08
Hall of Famer

FWIW Poles has said while he wouldn't love being on Hard Knocks, he would be okay with it.

It seems that Poles' "youth" might help reinvigorate this otherwise stale franchise.

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
LacertineForest
MVP

docc wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:04 pm ..why not..her Birth Certificate is on papyrus..
lmao!
Z Bear
MVP

wulfy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:42 pm Poles should have signed up for what the Giants did .... the "offseason" Hard Knocks. He checks the box on HK and takes the heat off the team/coaching staff to do the real one.

Also, he's pretty transparent as far as GMs go, certainly vs Secret Squirrel Pace, so I don't think he'd be giving away any state secrets.
It's pretty much what the Bears do inhouse with 1920 Football drive. Those seem to stop about mid training camp, but they do a pretty good job of covering the major aspects of the offseason.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:57 am

Home field for 1 game is a plus
Having a crucial preseason (with a ton of new faces and scheme on offense) not turned into a circus is a plus

You have to weigh them both. They're quite different in nature, so it's hard to compare.
I think preseason is pretty valuable, so I lean to feeling fine with it.

Actually, I would imagine the team loses money when they do this. If so, I'm fascinated that he was willing to give up $$ for what they feel is better for the team.
They own a franchise worth between $5-$6 billion dollars their grandfather paid $100 buck for and have net revenues of $200 million in excess of outlays. It's an affordable sacrifice by far.
Umbali
MVP

In the past I would not have wanted to be on it. Distraction would be the reason. So now I wonder what would we have been distracted from? Losing seasons and poor QB play? lol We arent a Bellicheckian Dynasty with secrets to hide.

As far as this year goes, if there is a rookie QB who is probably already built for a show like this and it wouldnt be a distraction , its probably Caleb. Id like to see it just for more Bears content.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Z Bear
MVP

Title needs to be changed...we are the Hard Knocks sweepstakes winners/losers, depending on the perspective.