Bears to be on Hard Knocks

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Per yahoo.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I can't believe it but it's true! Multiple sources now saying it'll be the training camp version

Sorry george we've got too much star power now - get used to it

I say that's perfect. It doesn't interfere with the regular season
I'm excited to have awesome bears content and elevate the profile
We were the day 1s but there's about to be lots of new bears fans coming. I say come aboard younglings let me teach you the ways
Last edited by crueltyabc on Thu May 30, 2024 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

The Bears avoided it for as long as any team could, but FINALLY they’re going to be featured.
UOK
Site Admin

G08
Hall of Famer

Dude I can't fucking wait :lol:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Kaiser
Assistant Coach

Finally, Bears are entering the the 21st century.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i hate that i'm going to watch this
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’ll finally see how this show works!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Holy Shit! Well, now I have to buy HBO for three months.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm with Plank. Never seen it but I'll watch this.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:27 pm Holy Shit! Well, now I have to buy HBO for three months.
While our antenna gently weeps

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:57 pm I’ll finally see how this show works!
I'm guessing we're going to see a lot of highlights of the draft process to begin with.
G08
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:12 pm i hate that i'm going to watch this
Put all the cynicism aside that you can and tell your inner football nerd this is the closest we'll ever be to being inside Halas Hall / the locker room.

I'm geeked for this shit :lol:

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

This is amazing news!! Can't wait! Caleb is going to own this show
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

It's now or never. Caleb will only have one rookie season and he's primed for this event.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
wab
Mod

I don’t like it but I’m gonna watch the shit out of it.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

I can still remember when the regular season was the main attraction. Now it's the Combine, FA, The Draft, and yet another preseason money grab courtesy of HBO. The season itself is becoming anti-climatic to the offseason and preseason. Still gotta play the games to know who wins the prize but it's like they've become secondary to what happen before that and all of it's hype. It's different now.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:27 pm Holy Shit! Well, now I have to buy HBO for three months.
This is the contention I am having with my daughter right now.

I don't watch much TV except for mainly sports and then the news while I eat breakfast.

So my kid begged me to get HBO to watch The Last Of Us.

Every possible Post Apocalyptic trope you can imagine. My kid loves it therefore I love it because it's something we do together.

Yet at the same time....ugh.

But yeah, I'm gonna watch The Beloved.
malk
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:49 am

I don't watch much TV except for mainly sports and then the news while I eat breakfast.

Every possible Post Apocalyptic trope you can imagine. My kid loves it therefore I love it because it's something we do together.

I mean, I'll be watching but, um, I won't be paying for it lol...

I'm similar, don't watch much tv bar for Al Jazeera in the morning before work. Then for series it's occasional and split between all the different services so Kodi+magic is the way!

EDIT: Actually on topic. I'm really stoked for this. Also, whilst I haven't looked at all in depth, I don't see a good reason for why the distraction element should really have a significant effect. Plus, even if a bit of media circus does obtain, that's probably good training for when we're going through the madness of a SUPER BOWL WEEK, WOOOOOOOOOOO!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
cblaz11
MVP

I understand the initial push back that this could be a distraction..but cmon. If HBO filming a show for 90 days is the reason we are g successful, we have bigger issues.

The line of site we’re going to see …the behind the scenes access to the team we spend our lifetimes talking and stressing about, epic.

On a side note, you don’t need HBO you just need a friend that has it. That said, HBO does it better than anyone. You pay for it, I’d suggest the following.

Sopranos (Best show ever)
The Wire
Euphoria
Deadwood
White Lotus
John from Cincinnati
Game of Thrones (minus the last 3 episodes)
House or Dragon
Pacific
Band of Brothers
Boardwalk Empire
True Detective
THE DUECE (underrated)
The Leftovers(one of my favorites)
Curb
Watchmen
Rome
Succesion

You will
Get your moneys worth!
dplank
Hall of Famer

HBO used to be epic but they’ve really fallen off IMO. Hacks is excellent but the rest sucks right now
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:09 pm I can still remember when the regular season was the main attraction. Now it's the Combine, FA, The Draft, and yet another preseason money grab courtesy of HBO. The season itself is becoming anti-climatic to the offseason and preseason. Still gotta play the games to know who wins the prize but it's like they've become secondary to what happen before that and all of it's hype. It's different now.
Only one team celebrates in the regular season.

Nearly everyone can find something to celebrate on the offseason. Good thing for us too. My childhood was the 90s Bears. I live on CT. The only games we got were the Bears Packers games on MNF where the Packers would slaughter the Bears. We didn't have ESPN so no highlights nor a computer. Offseasons were nothing. It's amazing I'm still a fan tbh.

It's way better now. Even shitty franchises get a chance to feel good about themselves.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Will it be televised on HBO Max? My son has that. When I had HBO I never watched it. Cut the cord and HBO went with it.
LacertineForest
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:29 am Will it be televised on HBO Max? My son has that. When I had HBO I never watched it. Cut the cord and HBO went with it.
Yes. HBO Max is HBO's streaming service. Everything available on HBO is on Max, from my experience.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

xyt in the discord chats
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Well, so much for playing in London to avoid it. lol

So is your daughter going to want to watch it with you or are you going to force her to? :D

I can relate though. My kids pretty much force to watch every horror show (hate em) out there. I normally end up falling asleep. I think I slept through the entire Walking Dead. lol

Hey TMP, that's your best signature yet. It's like the Dark Side of the Moon cover. I assume that's what it is meant to be.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:33 pm Well, so much for playing in London to avoid it. lol

So is your daughter going to want to watch it with you or are you going to force her to? :D

I can relate though. My kids pretty much force to watch every horror show (hate em) out there. I normally end up falling asleep. I think I slept through the entire Walking Dead. lol

Hey TMP, that's your best signature yet. It's like the Dark Side of the Moon cover. I assume that's what it is meant to be.
LOL, my daughter could care less about sports. She's a big time techie.

The signature is all @UOK . He made that because a bunch of us were talking about Pink Floyd the other day and he posted it. After I picked my jaw off the floor I begged him to help me make that my signature.

BTW, there was a motion passed the other day. Pink Floyd is the official band of this website now. :)
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

"BTW, there was a motion passed the other day. Pink Floyd is the official band of this website now. :)"

I'm all for that.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:30 am
Bearfacts wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:09 pm I can still remember when the regular season was the main attraction. Now it's the Combine, FA, The Draft, and yet another preseason money grab courtesy of HBO. The season itself is becoming anti-climatic to the offseason and preseason. Still gotta play the games to know who wins the prize but it's like they've become secondary to what happen before that and all of it's hype. It's different now.
Only one team celebrates in the regular season.

Nearly everyone can find something to celebrate on the offseason. Good thing for us too. My childhood was the 90s Bears. I live on CT. The only games we got were the Bears Packers games on MNF where the Packers would slaughter the Bears. We didn't have ESPN so no highlights nor a computer. Offseasons were nothing. It's amazing I'm still a fan tbh.

It's way better now. Even shitty franchises get a chance to feel good about themselves.
I don't know that I buy that. Only one team wins the big prize but I believe both the team and we as fans celebrated the improvement the Bears showed during the second half of the 2023 season. At least I know I did. It felt much like the early '80s again when we were building a SB ready roster and only needed a proper QB to take us there. Mac had his flaws but he knew how to win. That was his gift. Aren't we in a similar spot now?

Like you I no longer live in Chicago and haven't since the mid '60s so the '63 Championship was part of my childhood, the '80s Bears and the Super Bowl win came when I was already in my mid 30s, and the last Super Bowl in my mid 50s. I'm almost in my mid 70s so I feel like I'm due for another SB team very soon or at least it feels that way. I'm just hoping that this time we can sustain the kind of success I expected us to have during the '80s.

But to get to that point I need to see this roster in action playing against the best. We've been in the same spot many times before where on paper we appeared to have a very competitive roster only to fall flat on our faces once the season began. So while I was excited by the draft we still need to see how it all fits together come September. July and August and Hard Knocks won't tell me that. It's pure entertainment for those who need it. I don't.

It's 17 regular season games that will tell me where we are on the path toward our next championship team.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

This is exactly what the NFL and all of the owners wanted. The NFL has become year-around must see TV. From the Combine to the draft to OTA's, to training camp (courtesy of HBO), preseason, the regular season and the playoffs. This is why the owners love Roger Goodell. He has turned a 17 game, five month sport into 12 months of "I can't get enough of this" TV.

No other sport has their players on TV running drills, doing the bench press, and the broad jump with as much coverage as the NFL. Which other sport's draft is watched as much as the NFL? Hockey is trying REALLY hard to make something out of it. But it will never be the NFL.