Bears to be on Hard Knocks

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:03 am
Bearfacts wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:09 pm I can still remember when the regular season was the main attraction. Now it's the Combine, FA, The Draft, and yet another preseason money grab courtesy of HBO. The season itself is becoming anti-climatic to the offseason and preseason. Still gotta play the games to know who wins the prize but it's like they've become secondary to what happen before that and all of it's hype. It's different now.
This is exactly what the NFL and all of the owners wanted. The NFL has become year-around must see TV. From the Combine to the draft to OTA's, to training camp (courtesy of HBO), preseason, the regular season and the playoffs. This is why the owners love Roger Goodell. He has turned a 17 game, five month sport into 12 months of "I can't get enough of this" TV.

No other sport has their players on TV running drills, doing the bench press, and the broad jump with as much coverage as the NFL. Which other sport's draft is watched as much as the NFL? Hockey is trying REALLY hard to make something out of it. But it will never be the NFL.
Oh I get it well enough. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not buying all of what Goodell is selling. I never watch the Combine. The first two days of the draft are always of interest to me but not much else until the players get to camp and put the pads on. Preseason tends to show which teams have the better depth but not all that much about the starters. September is when I start to pay real attention. Prior to that the summer OTA, camp, and preaseason games are more like the trailer to a movie. A teaser and no more.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The '85 team was, of course, much watched because of their absolute defensive dominance but also because of the cast of characters in the public's eye. I'm sure the NFL is hoping Caleb catches fire and brings the same attention to the team and the league.
LacertineForest
MVP

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/ ... t-eberflus

I think this makes sense. I always figured that the team ultimately had say over what gets aired and what doesn't. Otherwise, it's basically just good promotion for the Bears as a team, the players as individuals, and the NFL as a whole. I am interested to see what they allow and don't given that Poles has earned a reputation as a guy who does right by players, even when that means moving on from the Bears.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:05 am The '85 team was, of course, much watched because of their absolute defensive dominance but also because of the cast of characters in the public's eye. I'm sure the NFL is hoping Caleb catches fire and brings the same attention to the team and the league.
The 40s Bears thrilled the nation.

The 85 Bears had the nation shuffling.

Caleb's Bears will have the nation doing the Bear Down.

Edit - hmm. 40 years between the 40s and 80s. 40 years between the 80s and now.

Incoming Dynasty confirmed!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:50 am
Grizzled wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:05 am The '85 team was, of course, much watched because of their absolute defensive dominance but also because of the cast of characters in the public's eye. I'm sure the NFL is hoping Caleb catches fire and brings the same attention to the team and the league.

I'm almost 69, it better be soon, don't think (but can hope) I can wait another 40 years.
G08
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:23 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:50 am

I'm almost 69...
Nice

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:31 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:23 am

I'm almost 69...
Nice
It's better than the alternative ....
Umbali
MVP

69 mmmmm thats what she said. Sorry I just had to lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bearsedge94
Rookie

I couldn't be more excited for a season of Hard Knocks. I can't wait to see this team behind the scenes.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearsedge94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:31 am I couldn't be more excited for a season of Hard Knocks. I can't wait to see this team behind the scenes.
This will be the first season of that show I will actually watch.

When I have offseason urge for football I just watch old games.

I’m looking to see how (or if) Caleb takes charge of the offense and if he’s respected by peers.

I’m also expecting the defense to kick the shit out of the offense, for a variety of reasons, and I want to see how Caleb adapts to that mentally and performance wise.

I will say that this offseason has been torture. This is the biggest build up to a regular season that I can remember and it’s awful waiting for it to start.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

So the version the Bears will be on is basically the “original” version, right? The filming will start and end with the start and end of training camp?
Sweetness34
Journeyman

Arkansasbear wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:02 am So the version the Bears will be on is basically the “original” version, right? The filming will start and end with the start and end of training camp?
Yep, this is training camp (original) Hard Knocks. The Giants will be a brand new "offseason" show. And the in-season Hard Knocks will be a yet to be announced division. As competitive and compelling as the NFC North should be this year, I doubt it gets picked since it would overlap the Training Camp with the Bears. But who knows.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears' Kevin Warren on 'Hard Knocks:' 'If you’re doing the right things ... you have nothing to hide'

Appearing on HBO’s “Hard Knocks” was not the Bears’ preference, but president/CEO Kevin Warren said he believes the team has plenty to share with the world.

“I trust our leadership,” Warren told a crowd Tuesday at the Lincoln Forum at the Union League Club of Chicago. “I trust coach [Matt Eberflus], I trust [general manager] Ryan [Poles], I trust our players ...

“If you’re doing the right things in the right manner, you have nothing to hide. I trust that we’ll do it the right way. I think people will be able to see this is something unique going on.”

The Bears will have the final edit on the documentary series before it’s released each week during training camp. They will also be one of the teams to appear on “The Pick Is In,” Roku Channel’s draft-themed documentary being released Friday.

“People around the world are interested in the Chicago Bears,” he said.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... -right-way
I've posted the full interview with Warren here: viewtopic.php?p=385803#p385803
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:32 pm
Bears' Kevin Warren on 'Hard Knocks:' 'If you’re doing the right things ... you have nothing to hide'

Appearing on HBO’s “Hard Knocks” was not the Bears’ preference, but president/CEO Kevin Warren said he believes the team has plenty to share with the world.

“I trust our leadership,” Warren told a crowd Tuesday at the Lincoln Forum at the Union League Club of Chicago. “I trust coach [Matt Eberflus], I trust [general manager] Ryan [Poles], I trust our players ...

“If you’re doing the right things in the right manner, you have nothing to hide. I trust that we’ll do it the right way. I think people will be able to see this is something unique going on.”

The Bears will have the final edit on the documentary series before it’s released each week during training camp. They will also be one of the teams to appear on “The Pick Is In,” Roku Channel’s draft-themed documentary being released Friday.

“People around the world are interested in the Chicago Bears,” he said.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... -right-way
I've posted the full interview with Warren here: viewtopic.php?p=385803#p385803
The concept of National Exposure is something that the Chicago Bears as a franchise are going to have to grow accustomed to.

Just by having Caleb Williams as the #1 overall hyped up pick at QB gives us a national stage.

Now when Caleb takes off, we win a bunch of games, we are going to be in a lot of conversations and in a lot of coverage.

The Bears have been irrelevant since the 80s. We had a couple good years in between but nothing like consistent national attention.

I welcome it. I think it's great and about time. My hope is that Caleb maintains a good head on his shoulders and keeps things together while at the same time having fun and enjoying life within reason.

But yeah, we're going to have to get used to things like this.

Then add the stadium on top of it.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:31 am The concept of National Exposure is something that the Chicago Bears as a franchise are going to have to grow accustomed to.

Just by having Caleb Williams as the #1 overall hyped up pick at QB gives us a national stage.

Now when Caleb takes off, we win a bunch of games, we are going to be in a lot of conversations and in a lot of coverage.

The Bears have been irrelevant since the 80s. We had a couple good years in between but nothing like consistent national attention.

I welcome it. I think it's great and about time. My hope is that Caleb maintains a good head on his shoulders and keeps things together while at the same time having fun and enjoying life within reason.

But yeah, we're going to have to get used to things like this.

Then add the stadium on top of it.
Agreed! We’ve been Jets relevant as far as market size, but little else. I know anyone McCaskey dislikes were on show if you got them in the record and that just screams right thing to do. Can’t wait!
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

This may have been posted, but it looks like Hard Knocks will show up at Halas Hall on the 14th of this month (players report the 20th) and the first show will be August 8th.

According to https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/ ... rs-season/
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:57 am This may have been posted, but it looks like Hard Knocks will show up at Halas Hall on the 14th of this month (players report the 20th) and the first show will be August 8th.

According to https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/ ... rs-season/
I imagine this is what it's like to walk into Virginia's office. I wonder if Hard Knocks will show it.

I WANT THE HOT DOGS PRICED AT $12 EACH! NOT EXCUSES!

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:12 am I imagine this is what it's like to walk into Virginia's office. I wonder if Hard Knocks will show it.
There's some leaked footage of Caleb meeting Virginia for the first time. It's a bit grainy.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:37 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:12 am I imagine this is what it's like to walk into Virginia's office. I wonder if Hard Knocks will show it.
There's some leaked footage of Caleb meeting Virginia for the first time. It's a bit grainy.

Have you seen her? You’re not that far off.

Z Bear
MVP

Dude has no clue what he is talking about....even admits he does not follow the Bears. LOL at pinning the hiring of Matt Nagy on her.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:53 pm Dude has no clue what he is talking about....even admits he does not follow the Bears. LOL at pinning the hiring of Matt Nagy on her.
Amen. Are teams in Philly so lacking in news that he chooses this as a topic for video? She's never had a single thing to do with football ops. That's always been left to her sons who by the way are also owners. At most she's an accidental owner.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:10 am
Z Bear wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:53 pm Dude has no clue what he is talking about....even admits he does not follow the Bears. LOL at pinning the hiring of Matt Nagy on her.
Amen. Are teams in Philly so lacking in news that he chooses this as a topic for video? She's never had a single thing to do with football ops. That's always been left to her sons who by the way are also owners. At most she's an accidental owner.
He doesn't even speak in coherent sentences. Dude doesn't need to have podcast.

But if you listen to him (which if you haven't yet, I recommend you don't - it's Fake News and the fact checkers haven't been called in on it) he keeps saying she is the "most inept owner of the Chicago Bears. Not in the NFL, in sports, just of the Bears. I guess that might be true.
wulfy
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:35 am
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:10 am

But if you listen to him (which if you haven't yet, I recommend you don't - it's Fake News and the fact checkers haven't been called in on it) he keeps saying she is the "most inept owner of the Chicago Bears. Not in the NFL, in sports, just of the Bears. I guess that might be true.
I think that's a bit harsh .... Accidental Owner (props to @Bearfacts is accurate.

In defense of the George Regime - he's been very hands off and has allowed the people he's hired to do their jobs. The problem is that they've hired dumb people (Phillips, Pace, Emery, Trestman, Jauron, Fox, etc.) who do their jobs poorly. McCaskey's have given the team ample dollars to spend - both on the facility and on the field. But at least for the on the field product, they've invested both draft capital and dollar capital poorly.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:13 am

I think that's a bit harsh .... Accidental Owner (props to @Bearfacts is accurate.

In defense of the George Regime - he's been very hands off and has allowed the people he's hired to do their jobs. The problem is that they've hired dumb people (Phillips, Pace, Emery, Trestman, Jauron, Fox, etc.) who do their jobs poorly. McCaskey's have given the team ample dollars to spend - both on the facility and on the field. But at least for the on the field product, they've invested both draft capital and dollar capital poorly.
Maybe in coherent wasn't the best choice of words. "Choppy???" He just doesn't seem to have a smooth flow while he speaks and it make it a bit hard to listen to.
wulfy
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:35 am

Maybe in coherent wasn't the best choice of words. "Choppy???" He just doesn't seem to have a smooth flow while he speaks and it make it a bit hard to listen to.
Wasn't talking about the podcast dude, Ark ... was talking about the statement that Ginny is the worst owner in sports.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:44 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:35 am

Wasn't talking about the podcast dude, Ark ... was talking about the statement that Ginny is the worst owner in sports.
My bad. I thought it was a response to me being a smarty pants.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

I've always believed this has been the result of a major legacy type NFL franchise being run by non-football people. This is why I say they're almost accidental owners in whom GSH should never have entrusted is "Beloved Bears". Had "Mugs" not preceded GSH in death he would've become the primary owner, CEO, and managing director of the Bears and he knew what he didn't know. As GSH found the game passing him by Mugs convinced GSH to hire Jim Finks and ask him to resurrect his Bears which he did very well.

Where the problem came in IMHO is GSH failed to add some control beyond his death. The type of control that would have required Ginny to hire outside front office talent like another Jim Finks to run the football ops. Instead she chose the one person Halas did not want to ever see in charge of the Bears, Michael, and now we all know why. He thought of himself far too highly and proceeded to run his franchise into the ground. GSH should've made certain this could never have happened but he simply failed to do it.

GMcC and Teddy Bears Phillips who succeeded Mikey were no more knowledgeable as football people. I'd even go so far as to say they even lacked the skills to hire good football people to run their team. We got lucky for a short period of time with Jerry Angelo whom they used an executive search team to find and Lovie but they failed to find a winning QB until trading for Cutler whom I believe we could've gotten us back to another Super Bowl and we nearly did until Cutler got injured again. Shades of Jim McMahon deja vu.

Then having traded away top draft picks for Cutler JA failed to put a team around him he could win with and a proper OC to develop/coach him. Lovie whom I greatly admire as a DC and motivator was done him by his insistence on "getting off the bus running" and depending on his defense to win. The defense aged while we continued to struggle on offense mostly due to Lovie's control over it and seeming unwillingness to hire a competent OC. Mike Martz was not the right guy either and he pretty much got Lovie fired.

So prior to the hiring of Poles and Kevin Warren the McCaskey Family exerted far too much influence on the team and their fortunes. Being a "hands off" owner which GMcC really was not is only workable when you hire competent people to run your team and he and Phillips whom he trusted far too much consistently failed to do that. They actually interfered more with potential success than helping it in any way with hiring a guy like Emery and coaches like Trestman and Fox and again with Ryan Pace.

Are we finally beyond all of that? I hope so but as long as the McCaskey's own the Bears I will always have at least some doubts.
malk
Head Coach

I really think this stuff is overdetermined and actually comes down to luck to a higher extent than we'd like to admit. The best franchise of the modern era comes down to getting incredibly lucky both by drafting Brady in the 6th and Bledsoe getting injured and forcing them to play him.

Obviously that's an extreme example but, to me, it fundamentally comes down to a non "football person" needs to make the first hire. That might be the GM, or perhaps you need a "football person" to hire them, your President say. But then who hires that role and if they're not a football person then maybe that President isn't any good.

I don't think we've been brilliantly run but I also think we made the Superbowl in 06 with Grossman, had the Cutler injury on 2010, had the double doink... That's all in a period where we hadn't been able to find an All World QB while we also had to play against one at least twice a year.

I've said this for a while but I still maintain that the Patriots are going to be interesting over the next few years, the poster child for a "well run franchise". But let's see how far that gets them until they find another great QB (let alone one that plays under his market value to help the team).
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

Would you guys prefer all Hard Knocks convo take place in here, or should there be a thread for each episode?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

All in here!